Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Could the OUYA handle 1080p mkv or avi files?

If so, I'm sold! I hate my ps3 and xbox 360 for being so slow and ornery and awful with avi files (I think it's the xbox that can't even play AVI). This is the future, man! Get with it!
    kickback.jpg

They are supporting xbmc from the get go, so I would imagine majority of video formats should be supported.

As for Xbox, they added the ability to play avi to the video player a few years back and the built in media player now also supports mp4 to.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I hope so, cause I'd love to see minecraft in 1080p while blasting some XV in the background lol

I'm sure it would from launch, the OUYA is more than powerful enough to handle it.

Yes: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/a...gra-3-review/5

That's talking about the ASUS Transformer, but it's a Tegra 3 based system and nVidia are those responsible for shifting the MKV decoder to the GPU/Hardware, rather than running it in software mode on the CPU.
    Hope that sells the OUYA to you :-)

Anybody here knows if the Ouya will be able to play full HD 3D Blu Ray movies with XBMC? Currently I have an Xtreamer Prodigy, but I find the menu's and user interface very poor. Especially when using apps like youtube. I think the Ouya will be way better at these kind of things, but being able to play full HD 3d Blu rays is a must have for me if i'm considering buying it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Broekman View Post
    Anybody here knows if the Ouya will be able to play full HD 3D Blu Ray movies with XBMC? Currently I have an Xtreamer Prodigy, but I find the menu's and user interface very poor. Especially when using apps like youtube. I think the Ouya will be way better at these kind of things, but being able to play full HD 3d Blu rays is a must have for me if i'm considering buying it.

Thanks!
    Android has no native Blu-Ray nor DVD support, at this time. However, many devices support DLNA, so one could stream from a DLNA enabled Blu-Ray player to the OUYA. If you "made a backup" of your Blu-Ray or DVD (and we all have legal copies of our movies, don't we!), then you could run that on the OUYA (probably via XBMC or similar).

I was indeed talking about legal copies of Full HD 3D Blu Ray movies, sorry that wasn't clear .

But if I understand you correctly, the Tegra 3 chip indeed has enough raq power to play these video formats without any problems? I'm asking because the Xtreamer Prodigy was, untill a few months ago, the only off the shelve player under about €200 that could play these Full HD 3D Blu Ray formats. I checked, the Ouya does have HDMI 1.4, so if the chip can handle it, I'm ordering right now! :-)

Update: I searched the web for a chip comparison on the Tegra 3 (Ouya) and Realtek 1186 (Xtreamer Prodigy), but couldn't find anything for this. If you guys have info on this please let me know.

One second thing that crossed my mind. Will the Ouya support hooking up an USB flash drive / HD from where video files can be played from? I'm asking because these heavier movie files I'm talking about even give stutters on my N-router network. So a USB file is nice to have as backup. Full HD movies stream fine, but Full HD 3D is just a little too much in some cases i've noticed..
    Last edited by Nick Broekman; 08-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.

That's a good question. Personally, I can't imagine that the Ouya would lack the ability to play videos off of a thumb drive. I mean, even my xbox can do it, and that thing is ancient at least by tech terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Broekman View Post
    I was indeed talking about legal copies of Full HD 3D Blu Ray movies, sorry that wasn't clear .

But if I understand you correctly, the Tegra 3 chip indeed has enough raq power to play these video formats without any problems? I'm asking because the Xtreamer Prodigy was, untill a few months ago, the only off the shelve player under about €200 that could play these Full HD 3D Blu Ray formats. I checked, the Ouya does have HDMI 1.4, so if the chip can handle it, I'm ordering right now! :-)

Update: I searched the web for a chip comparison on the Tegra 3 (Ouya) and Realtek 1186 (Xtreamer Prodigy), but couldn't find anything for this. If you guys have info on this please let me know.

One second thing that crossed my mind. Will the Ouya support hooking up an USB flash drive / HD from where video files can be played from? I'm asking because these heavier movie files I'm talking about even give stutters on my N-router network. So a USB file is nice to have as backup. Full HD movies stream fine, but Full HD 3D is just a little too much in some cases i've noticed..
    OK, so two of the Tegra 2's, the T25 and and AP25 supported 3D displays (output via micro-HDMI to HDMI and into an appropriate screen, or if the tablet display houses it). These were dual core at 1.2GHz, whereas the T33 that's supposedly in the OUYA is a quad core at 1.6GHz... of course, without the 3D instruction set, the faster CPU clock speed is moot.
    I couldn't find anything to indicate that the T33's support 3D.
    However, a number of the details are speculative and, with a lot of HDMI stuff being firmware/software based, one could think that by March '13, the OUYA's HDMI would have 3D support.

Quote Originally Posted by cerberez View Post
    That's a good question. Personally, I can't imagine that the Ouya would lack the ability to play videos off of a thumb drive. I mean, even my xbox can do it, and that thing is ancient at least by tech terms.
    As far as USB thumb drives/storage is concerned, the short answer is: YES!
    It's the USB Host feature and has been available since Android 3.1 - initially for tablets, but as 4.x (ICS and above) is integrating many tablet features into Android OS' that support differing platforms (like Smartphones or even the OUYA) then it will carry over.
    The other question, however, is whether the drivers exist in the Kernel and, if they do, then it's a complete yes :-)