Close
Advertise Here

Need help testing 2 player game mode w/2 controllers - Frozen Bubble

I am trying to publish Frozen Bubble version 2.0 with multiplayer to the OUYA store.

I don't own an OUYA, so I have no way to test the OUYA SDK multiple controller integration

I would **really** appreciate if somebody could side load the following two APKs to see if the "P1 vs. P2" game option under the "2 Player" game works with 2 controllers without crashing the game.

If you could tell me if either/both/neither work, it would be a huge help.

The first version:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w...it?usp=sharing

In this .apk, I removed synchronized() locks in onKeyDown() etc. that were being used to ensure the player input isn't processed in the middle of game rendering and missed. It turns out that these are unnecessary.

The second iteration:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w...it?usp=sharing

In this .apk, I added calls to the input event superclass methods in each input event handler, which I wasn't doing previously.
    Last edited by videogameboy76; 05-04-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Mmh, has you apk some 3rd party controller support. PS3 or some USB-PC? I only have one 1 Ouya controller. Anyway, thank you for porting FB2!
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

Honestly, I have no idea. If the 3'rd party controller posts onKeyDown() and onKeyUp() events like a directional pad device and the OUYA controller is mapped to player 2, it might work.

> thank you for porting FB2!

My pleasure! I know for a fact that the WiFi multiplayer works just fine, but it would just tickle me silly to have a local 2 player game working. That's the ultimate test of game developing skill - to be able to pit one human against another and for them to have fun playing your game together.
    Last edited by videogameboy76; 05-03-2014 at 12:57 PM.

lol, just a little digressing. I once had a game against a friend in Bust A Move 4 for PS1, the one introducing chain reactions... 1 round lasted about 2h30'... And I'd love to repeat the experience.

I heard that not including some joypad support creates issues to some people. In case, try to look for some suggestion/help in the developers' section. There is also an apk testing subsection, and probably this thread will be moved there

I've downloaded the apks, but I'll probably test them some other day unfortunately :/ sure I'll do it asap

OK, both version A and B work with PS3 controller + my OUYA one.
    Last edited by Jeffry84; 05-05-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: updated post
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

Quote Originally Posted by jeffry84 View Post
    OK, both version A and B work with PS3 controller + my OUYA one.
    Can you verify with the second APK that if you beat on both controllers in the "P1 vs. P2" game for a while that the controllers don't lose game focus? If they lose focus, nothing happens until you hit the O button.

Unfortunately, I have it on good authority that the first APK loses controller focus, which can only be regained by pressing the O button.
    Last edited by videogameboy76; 05-06-2014 at 12:13 AM.

I was able to get 2 player with 2 controllers working better, as in it loses focus less and recovers more cleanly, but apparently the issue wasn't licked completely, occurring at rate of about once in 5 consecutive games. I figure there's nothing else I can do to resolve the issue entirely without hardware of my own to debug it.

My final implementation does the following:

1) I process all input events in the game activity, which are then passed to the SurfaceView object. Previously, I was processing key presses in both the Activity and the SurfaceView. I figured the SurfaceView was losing focus, because input is only passed to a View if the View has focus and its window has focus, whereas the Activity always receives input as long as it is at the top of any Z-ordering of windows.

2) I made sure that in onWindowFocusChanged(), and in all input event handlers (onKeyDown(), onKeyUp(), onTouchEvent(), etc.) that the superclass method was being called. In the input event handlers, the result of the super class call is logically OR'ed with the local result. This is per the OUYA docs for controller support.

3) I added onFocusChanged() to the SurfaceView object, to request focus whever focus is lost. This means that if it spuriously lost focus while the application is visible, it should regain focus (theoretically, at least).

4) I synchronize() on the SurfaceView SurfaceHolder in all input even processing at the point where it sets the variables passed to the game drawing function as they are set in one thread but initialized in a different thread, necessitating a thread-safe lock. Previously the whole contents of each input event handler were locked, which was inefficient.

this is exactly the game I was looking for to play with my wife. will try it out tonight and see how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Brown View Post
    this is exactly the game I was looking for to play with my wife. will try it out tonight and see how it works
    Version 2.0 just got published, so cheers! If it does freeze, try the "O" button to recover.
    Last edited by videogameboy76; 05-08-2014 at 06:49 PM.