Close
Advertise Here
    Banned

1 members found this post helpful.

OUYA, Kodi (XBMC), And You!

Introduction

For those of you who don't know Kodi can be a little frustrating to deal with you are a newbie and don't worry because we all were at one point.

XBMC is a media center that came about on the original Xbox and since then has grown into one of the most supported open source projects in the world. You can play your own media like movies and music OR you can open it up into the wild internet and stream anything from twitch.tv to pandora.

I am NOT here to hold your hand, however. I don't ever want to recieve PMs regarding this thread nor do I want any questions in this thread pertaining to specific add-ons (covered later in this guide). This is purely so you know how to use Kodi itself can effectively solve your own problems. Also so you understand what a repository is, how to browse your ouya's internal storage, set your libraries, and change your layout.

Lastly, this guide is not meant to be exhaustive as I'd need an entire forum just to cover each and every topic. If I feel its something that needs to be added in the guide I will do so.

If you need something not covered in this guide

All you need to do is go to kodi.wiki where all of this and more has been covered infinitely times better then I could do in this guide.

I. Versions

Ouya: The store version of XBMC up until very recently has been useless for some people because it did NOT have the necessary codecs. Since an update it now does and I see most people will flock to this one as its currently in the discover store and does NOT require sideloading. This is based on verison 12.3 Frodo.

SPMC: Koying, a wonderful member on this forum has been making this custom fork of Kodi for the last couple years and in my opinion this one works best on the Ouya. It has had some video settings tweaked, some defaults changed, blueray added, and several other fixes. This is based on Gotham 13.4 or Kodi 14.2 You must download this to your ouya and install it via filepwn.

http://spmc.semperpax.com/l

Gotham 13.xx: This is the most up to date version of XBMC that was released in January. It supports decoding of AC3 and DTS . This is what is considered a "monthly" build which means every month they work on some fixes and at the end compile them into a sort of chapter or saving point. These have all of the settings for almost every android device you can use so while it is VERY general it also hasn't had specific tweaks for our systems. You must download this to your ouya and install it via filepwn.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/and...rmeabi-v7a.apk

Kodi 14.x: This is the current version (and last version supported on the Ouya until we get an update to base kernel Android 4.1) Most add-ons should work with this version and new add-ons should have no problem since the add-on engine has been updated in this release. I suggest most people use this version to get the most stable usage.
    http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/

Other versions: Beyond XBMC (depricated).
    Isengard 15.0 is the current beta of Kodi. As of writing this it does not support the Ouya because of an old kernel the Ouya is based on. DO NOT INSTALL THIS IT WONT WORK

Launcher versions of Kodi have been modified from one of the monthly or nightly builds to act as a replacement for the Ouya launcher and do not add any benefits except starting up in Kodi if you are using your OUYA only as a media box.

II. Set-up

This is assuming you have already sideloaded or gotten Kodi from Discover store. After you install Kodi and run it for the first time it will go through a first time only set up process where it creates your folders. It is possible XBMC may crash, flash a few times, or even boot you back to the Ouya launcher. This is normal and all you need to do is re-open your app to let it finish setting up.

After your first run you are introduced to a splash screen and then Kodi will open up and you'll be looking at the home menu. There are a bunch of options here like Videos, Music, Settings, Search, etc.

You now have Kodi set up, the only add-on that comes it comes with is Youtube.

If you are using your Kodi for local files such as MP3s, AVIs, MP4s, etc. Then continue reading this section to set libraries if not skip ahead to repositories.

Libraries

To set up a library (we'll be doing music libraries but it is the same steps either way) go to Music > Files > Add Music. A pop-up saying Add Music source will show up with a textbox that says .

You should be highlighting a Browse button, go ahead and press it, this opens up the file manager view and you can navigate to your USB drive from here. Go to Root File System > usbdrive > and select your folder then click on OK on the right hand side to add your library.

Now when you go to files your music folder should be there. Same thing for video except go to Videos > Files > Add Videos.

III. Repositories

Repositories are .zip files that hold your add-ons, you get these from the internet and you gotta put them on your ouya. I would suggest putting them on your root file system, as they might need to be used for other installs lol.

The only repository I use is SuperRepo as it has the biggest collection of add-ons so you get alot for the least amount of work. There are other repos that you can download (some developers have their own repositories for their specific collections).

To do this you simply go to SuperRepo.org and click on Get Started. Then you gotta go to Method 1) All-in-one Repo. Make sure you get the version that is compatible with your version of Kodi. Frodo for the Ouya version, Gotham for 13.xx, Helix for 14.xx

This will download that .zip file that I was talking about earlier; drop it on your ouya (With usb or if you downloaded to your ouya then its already there). After you have it installed open Kodi again and go to Settings > Add-ons > Install from zip

After you do that all you have to do is navigate to your .zip and hit okay. This will make every add-on available to you. But they are not installed yet (don't you love things?)

IV. Add-ons

Each set of add-ons is usually under what type of add-on it might be like Picture, Video, or Music. So go to Video>Add-ons and Youtube should be there. Or go to Music>Add-ons and Pandora should be on that list.

This is the most time consuming part of Kodi installing each of your add-ons individually. An Add-on is just a module that Kodi uses to interface with websites and other popular programs like plex or itunes.

To set-up add-ons (we will be using a music add-on but it is the same steps either way) go to Music > Addons > Get More Add-ons.

You should now be looking at a HUGE list (over 500 entries) but you should only go to the ones that you want to add to your Kodi. In our case we're gonna go down to Pandora and click on it. Then pick "Install" it will take a minute to download and then automatically add itself to your add-on list so just back up to it and it should be there. To edit your add-on settings go to the add-on and click U and it'll open up the context menu. There should be an option called add-on settings. That will open up things like signing in; playback settings; etc.

V. Changing layout

In the front page there are tons of options like pictures, videos, music, programs, etc. I like to remove all of this besides Video, Music, Settings. Go to Settings > Appearance > Skin settings. Here you can also switch skins.

Find Home Layout on the left hand side and click on it. Then click the buttons by everything you don't want from the right hand list. Including RSS feeds which take time to load when Kodi starts..

Anything else will be added in the future.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

Great article, but it is worth noting that the Gotham builds that are not in the OUYA store support decoding of the DTS & AC3 codec, I believe both of those are not supported by the official OUYA versions due to licensing.

Banned

Added; thanks Eldon.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, didn't know about the Repositories thing.

Banned

Updated to cover Isengard, Kodi, and SPMC.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

Hey Timmy, just wanted to add that setup a repo with a few OUYA/Android centric XBMC/KODI plugins. You can find it here: https://github.com/EldonMcGuinness/Eldon-XBMC-Repo

It does require XBMC v13 (Gotham) or KODI (v14)

Posted @ https://progressivethink.in/on/ouya/and/xbmc-repo-for-ouya-specific-addons
    Last edited by Eldon.McGuinness; 05-22-2015 at 05:51 PM.