Close
Advertise Here

How to Keep Root Access After an OUYA Firmware Update

So, you've finally rooted your Ouya the easy way and you don't want to lose all those wonderful mods you've just installed just to keep your console's firmware up to date.

Requirements :

IMPORTANT : Be sure to reboot your console after each change made in Xposed framework or Mod Collection apps. Scroll down to the bottom on the main screen of Mod Collection to find the Reboot button. ( see the screenshot below )

Part 1
    ROOT KEEPING ACTIVATION :

1. - Open Mod Collection.
    2. - Click the "Install CWM Button". After a few seconds a success message should be displayed in a pop up window.
    3. - Click the second button from the top of the screen to enable the SU & Mods Preserver option
    4. - Reboot. ( see the screenshot above )

Optional :
    You can reboot into recovery to check if it has been installed correctly. Just remember to always plug a USB keyboard before you do so, because a physical keyboard is the only way to navigate once in recovery mode.

Part 2
    DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE :

Just plug your USB keyboard before the reboot at the end of the upgrading process.
    As a root user, you will have to install the new firmware that your console has just finished downloading into recovery mode.

Part 3
    INTO RECOVERY MODE :

• * You will be asked to confirm installation of a file named "untrusted.zip"
    • * Answer YES and wait until the success message.
    • * Go back then reboot.

Just before the system reboots, you will be asked if you want to disable the flashing of stock recovery ALWAYS ANSWER YES TO THIS.

Wait for the system reboot to be complete.
    Your Ouya is now up to date AND rooted. Enjoy !

TROUBLESHOOTING :

If you did everything described above and still have a red exclamation mark on screen where you were expecting the recovery mode, double check if everything is configured like on the screenshots below.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldkid Livegen View Post
    Just before the system reboots, you will be asked if you want to disable the flashing of stock recovery ALWAYS ANSWER YES TO THIS.
    I am newbie and clicked "No"....does this mean I should re-install CWM?

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Thanks for making this, Oldkid Livegen. I made it a sticky along with editing the title to be less of a question.

Quote Originally Posted by VanZan View Post
    I am newbie and clicked "No"....does this mean I should re-install CWM?
    Yes, you should. Even if you might not need to reboot into recovery until the next firmware update.

I am (still) running -=StockPlus=- Root, Busybox, Deodexed [1.0.519r2] - and thus have root and CWM already. This firmware also prevents the auto download of updates. Anyone know the best way to update from =StockPlus= ?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDonovan View Post
    I am (still) running -=StockPlus=- Root, Busybox, Deodexed [1.0.519r2] - and thus have root and CWM already. This firmware also prevents the auto download of updates. Anyone know the best way to update from =StockPlus= ?
    Just go to MANAGE => SYSTEM => SYSTEM UPDATES to begin the update process and jump to Part 2 of the first post of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldkid Livegen View Post
    Just go to MANAGE => SYSTEM => SYSTEM UPDATES to begin the update process and jump to Part 2 of the first post of this thread.
    Ah no - the custom rom blocks updates - so it just reports 'no update available' - that's my problem!

EDIT

So to answer my own question. Download the latest firmware from here :- https://ouyafw.skumler.net/ then flash it via CWM and disable flashing of stock recovery.

All sorted!
    Last edited by JohnDonovan; 04-20-2014 at 11:04 AM.