Close
Advertise Here

MagBall - Futuristic Sports Game (Updated with CREATE submission and Video!)

Hello everyone,

My name is Jason and I am the owner of Swift Fox Software, an indie software development company. I mainly do mobile development but after backing Ouya on Kickstarter and hearing of the Create Game Jam I decided to give the console a shot.

So my game is called MagBall and it is a futuristic sport, similar to soccer. The game is played by robots who have powerful electromagnetic pulse generators. Using these generators they can both push and pull the ball into their respective goals.

Each bot will be customizable in the final game allowing you to interchange parts to modify your stats. There will also be multiple arenas with different layouts. Up to four player single screen multiplayer!

Here is the version I submitted for the game jam if you guys want to try it out.
    MagBall.apk
    Last edited by jclardy; 01-24-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Just tested it out on the OUYA console. Push is using R3 (joystick button), which is horrible and hopefully not intended. Speed boost was correct.

When I attempted the second controller, it would work for a second, then wig out and stop the app. I know exactly what this is, because I had the same thing happen to me. The issue is that you are not using the ODK. It will work fine for 1 controller, but for 2, you WILL NEED the ODK.

Now, as the for the game, it was decent fun, but was incredibly easy because you just tap the push button as fast as you can and you'll win. Playing 2 player is probably a lot more fun and challenging, but I couldn't get that working because of the above issues. Anyway, I felt the pull had no purpose and I couldn't use it well anyway because it was the left joystick button

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrik View Post
    Just tested it out on the OUYA console. Push is using R3 (joystick button), which is horrible and hopefully not intended. Speed boost was correct.

When I attempted the second controller, it would work for a second, then wig out and stop the app. I know exactly what this is, because I had the same thing happen to me. The issue is that you are not using the ODK. It will work fine for 1 controller, but for 2, you WILL NEED the ODK.

Now, as the for the game, it was decent fun, but was incredibly easy because you just tap the push button as fast as you can and you'll win. Playing 2 player is probably a lot more fun and challenging, but I couldn't get that working because of the above issues. Anyway, I felt the pull had no purpose and I couldn't use it well anyway because it was the left joystick button
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the pull is not supposed to be the joystick button. I am currently developing on my Mac with a logitech game pad that doesn't have triggers which is what the push and pull are going to be in the final game (So you can control the charge speed.) But I might change pull altogether as it might not be needed.

I'll be adding a video plus a new build later. A lot has changed in the physics/AI since this version. Next build will hopefully have the controls sorted out.

So I have uploaded a new version. If anyone could tell me if the controllers are working that would be great! The physics in this build are much improved since a few days ago. Also controls should be fixed. I might be uploading my first gameplay video tonight if I have some time, but for now you can just try it out

Attachment 139

Well, the game jam is over. I updated the APK in the original post and added video.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, minus the AI which I wish I could have had a few extra hours to work on. But hopefully for testing they will be doing multiplayer since that is one of the categories.

Let me know if it even works...I removed some point lights and changed some shaders to their mobile versions which made the frame rate a solid 60 on the Nexus 7 which is Tegra 3...I'm hoping it translates to a decent framerate on the Ouya. I left the FPS counter in there so if you could tell me what you see I would like to know.

As for the project itself, I will develop it for Ouya at some point but probably not until I have actual hardware to test on. Also I would rather wait until the Unity package has some more kinks worked out.

I wrote a blog post summing up my game jam experience here.

Looks sweet, I like soccer type games like this. I also saw Bombball and Super Battle Ball I think its called they both look similar. I'll probably be trying them all out to see who takes the soccer crown