Close
Advertise Here
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I think it goes beyond than just the looks. The voice acting, the plot and the overall presentation should also be included in the judgement, but you make good points.

1 members found this post helpful.
    no game no life its nothing ground braking but it has a good story even if the anime dose not bring out the maximum potencial of the LN.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrus View Post
    I think it goes beyond than just the looks. The voice acting, the plot and the overall presentation should also be included in the judgement, but you make good points.
    English dubbing has indeed improved much in recent years.. but I watch everything in the original Japanese with English subtitles. The dubbed audio track isn't part of the original work, so while a dub itself may have aged poorly, that doesn't mean the show itself has. Japanese voice acting hasn't changed all that much in the last 30 years, IMO. Ditto for the writing, which depends a lot more on the genre and the specific work than on when it was made. Anime with deep and nuanced writing has been a thing since Leiji Matsumoto's works from the 1970s. Anime writers on the whole seem to have improved their sense of pacing sometime in the middle of the 1980s, and it hasn't changed much since then.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that the 2000s is your threshold for "old" anime. For me that line is somehere in the 1970s, before I was even born.
    Last edited by flamepanther; 04-23-2014 at 04:00 AM.

United States, Earth, Milkyway, the Other Side of the Gate, Existance

Here are a few epic anime I've loved recently... I've had a little obsession with Madoka Magica for some inexplicable reason of which I have yet to finger for the past 2 years...

-Steins;Gate (2012~EPIC English Dub)
    Must-see for any living organism that can comprehend words. A scifi epic that takes the time travel cliche and takes it to the max in epicness with characters that would entertain even if the plot didn't exist. Definitely an anime that will have you thinking weeks after you've watched it.

-Madoka Magica (2012~Great English Dub)
    An interesting watch if you've seen any other magical girl anime. An emotional epic that is a roller-coaster. Also has

time-travel

-Monster (2002~Great English Dub)
    The more serious of the three. It is a physiological thriller(?) horror(?) that brings up questions that may get you thinking, and is always a page-turner.

Pani Poni Dash!

OUYAForum Regular Negative Zero's Avatar

Knights of Sidonia. It reminds me a lot of Attack on Titan in that you know somebody's going to get killed, but you never know who. Highly recommended.

It's not on crunchyroll, unfortunately.
    Juxtaposition is the human condition.

I know there are a lot of anime fans around here so was surprised to see the thread die. I know I've been watching a lot the past 2-3 months because a possible business venture if things go right, so studying art styles, plot deviations and all that. (Yes would be based on Astra Etherium after adjustments and improvements) Plus I have someone feeding me a few that were pretty good too.

Just throwing out a few names that are ok, good, or great on the Killswitch scale, from recent stuff.
    Black Cat, Infinite Stratos, Future Diary, High School of the Dead, Elfen Lied, Hyakka Ryouran, Devil is a Part Timer, Familiar of Zero, Dog & Scissors, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Papa No Iukoto wo Kikina Sai, Sword Art Online, Freezing, Death Note, Chaika, Evangelion

Been going through some of the ones listed here but since I've watched a lot of mecha stuff lately (Last one Full Metal Panic!), just had a shift and started on Happy Lesson since Mr Hunt seems to love it so much.

I have a big list to go through...

Nice KS, I hope to be watching an Astra Etherium anime in the future.

I have been watching a few of the newer series that Netflix and Crunchroll offer, but sadly don't stay as current as I would like. I like humor over horror or any real life dramas.

The most recent ones I have seen (with-in the last year or two) are:
    -Attack on Titan
    -Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
    -Devil is a Part timer
    -Sword Art Online
    -Fairy Tail
    -Darker than Black
    -Netflix's Knights of Sidonia
    -Sekirei
    -Rosario + Vampire
    -And I just started Freezing

I did watch Elfen Lied but thought it fluctuated too much between serious/dark and happy/humor.

A few of my older favorites are :
    -Martian Successor Nadesico (possibly my favorite)
    -Maison Ikkoku
    -Ranma 1/2 (My Gateway Drug)
    -Lum (Urusei Yatsura)
    -El-Hazard: The Magnificent World
    -Dragon Half
    -Dirty Pair Flash
    -Tenchi muyo
    -Trigun
    -Cowboy Bebop
    -Full Metal Alchemist (Full Metal Alchemist "Brotherhood" as well)

And countless others that slip my mind at the moment.

If I started listing older ones it would include Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Robotech and others I can't think of right now.

Was just looking at my list of ones I've seen recently and those above are like 1/3 of the list from the past 2-3 months. Ironic that Kenichi, Fairy Tail (long ass commitments needed), Darker than Black, Sidonia, Sekirei and Rosario are all on my list and seen Titan so kind of on the same path. Had a lot of time off recently, winter sucks for contractors. Might be tempted to post the whole list of recent stuff including the bad ones.

Elfen Lied...happy? I'd just say less savage except for the transformation in personalities, those were...I don't know what to call those moments.

Space Dandy. Duh. How can I forget that, it kind of helped shape the concept for Astra Etherium though if AE was a show, it would be a bit more serious than Dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch
    Elfen Lied...happy? I'd just say less savage except for the transformation in personalities, those were...I don't know what to call those moments.
    This is a good point, it's so savage at times that when it hit a lower level of savage I just accepted this as the characters version of being happy...