Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.
    • beck
    • black lagoon
    • gungrave
    • hellsing
    • mushi-shi
    • samurai champloo
    • trinity blood - feels similar to trigun but with vampires.
    • baccano
    • samurai x - trust and betrayal
    • ghost in the shell

Is Patlabor (2) recommendable?
    IN PIXEL I TRUST

Quote Originally Posted by undftdroar View Post
    1. gungrave
    Holy Jesus, yes. This, so much.
    http://www.ccshgames.com - Updated 1/10/2016
    PC & Mac games - Updated more frequently
    OUYA games I've had a hand in: Slashers: The Power Battle (voice actor), Battle High 2 (casting/marketing director, voice actor), Astra Etherium (voice actor)
    OUYA games published: Shady's Poopong: 22nd Anniversary Edition, Chomperman

OUYAForum Regular Negative Zero's Avatar

Cowboy Bebop
    Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex
    FLCL
    Black Lagoon

and the one with the white haired woman that's an international gun dealer. Name escapes me. Has a child soldier in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Zero View Post
    Cowboy Bebop
    Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex
    FLCL
    Black Lagoon

and the one with the white haired woman that's an international gun dealer. Name escapes me. Has a child soldier in it.
    jormungand, haven't watched the anime but have read the manga.

Oran high school host club and high shool of the dead seem to go under the radar of a lot of people also girls bravo is a nice one. Dragonball z abridged if u have never heard of it is a pretty good fan made parody thats worth a look. My fave site to check out anime is watchcartoononline dot com but dbza is only on YT and their official site

Edit oh and watching monster right now really good but pacing is slow

I started watching Happy Lesson, after watching Natsume Yuujinchou, after watching the Black Rock Shooter OVA that I saw after watching the Black Rock Shooter series from my original post. I noticed that it is really old. Like, from the early 2000s old. I like it, but it feels weird though. Mainly the voice acting. It reminds me of The Flinstones.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

Early 2000s is old to you?

Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    Early 2000s is old to you?
    You mentioned that and I just thought of something. When I think of the 90s, I think of 10 years back. It really is 20 years instead... Well, yeah. I grew up in the 90s watching shows like Hey Arnold, Recess, Rugrats, Scooby-Doo and Captain Planet. I also started to get into anime during that time with Toonami on Cartoon Network. Everything I watched, I did so on a small TV cube with an antenna sticking out. It even had the rotating switch to change channels, just like washing machines.

When you compare a video like this one:

With this one:

You can definitely notice an age gap in between them. It could also be due to the fact that I grew during the transition of the technological advancements, from standard definition to high definition and whatnot. In the early 2000s I was still in school stealing Pokémon cards from my friends and bricking my pants. Fast forward today and I am about to graduate from a University. Happy Lesson definitely feels old to me. It reminds me of those shows that I used to watch on the small TV cube back in the day, which gives a little sense of nostalgia.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

2 members found this post helpful.
    Anime from the early 2000s actually often looks worse than anime from the '80s and '90s. Hand-painted cell animation can be rescanned from the original film and mastered natively in high definition, whereas 2D digital animation done in standard definition can only be upconverted. You should try to find the Blu-Ray versions of (primarily) hand painted anime like Zeta Gundam (early '80s!) and The Big O (early 2000s). Some of them look amazing even now. Even accounting for that, a lot of early 2000s animation looks worse than it needs to due to:

-Bad conversion methods. Most NTSC sources have periodic interlacing. To fix it correctly requires inverse telecine processing to restore progressive frames at the original frame rate and/or an advanced bob filter to smoothly reconstruct sections of high-frame-rate video editing. Unfortunately, most sources (such as Netflix, iTunes, and some DVD publishers) use a quick and dirty line-doubling deinterlacer, which means your anime is getting its vertical resolution cut in half in addition to already being low-resolution. Other sources, including a lot of DVDs, simply leave the interlacing intact, which looks fine on an older TV, but can cause comb-tooth lines on new TVs that don't detect and correct it. Anime that has the telecine process correctly reversed tends to actually look pretty good, assuming it was made well to begin with.

-Fansubs, pirate Youtube streams, and even many official streaming sources of old anime tend to also be old encodes. That means lower resolutions, lower bit rates, and outdated codecs, any of which will make the video look much worse than it would if it were re-encoded today.

-Early 2D digital animation can look pretty good, but the low-budget stuff is just inherently awkward-looking compared to both older hand-painted animation and newer digital animation. It's largely due to the transition in technology that you mentioned before. However, the digital animation with a decent budged could be drawn on paper by hand and then digitally colored and composited--a technique which tends to hold up pretty well against modern all-digital animation.

The trailer for Happy Lesson you posted looks like it suffers from all three issues, so there you go.
    Last edited by flamepanther; 04-21-2014 at 05:48 AM.