Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

I honestly can't stand this game. It looks like one of those experience over gameplay things you would rarely come across that only the least common denominator likes. Can't wait to see this one bomb.

"Games" like this are just attention seeking artsy-fartsy trash.
    Not necessarily trash as an artistic expression, but trash as a game.
    This sort of thing needs a different moniker than videogames.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

Quote Originally Posted by xAD View Post
    Yeah, pretty much my thoughts on it as well. You could say the same for That Dragon, Cancer, but Thralled is about a topic that everyone is sick to death about. Not to be insensitive, but everyone gets the message the game is already telling since we've been told multiple times over in the past. At least That Dragon, Cancer is about something that is unique and needs to be said to many. Thralled is just something milking a topic that no one cares about anymore.

2 members found this post helpful.
    Yes, it's attention they want. Attention to a subject is natural to seek, isn't it? If you told a story about something close to your heart, you'd want attention, right? I believe the term "video games" is big enough to have room for these sort of "artsy-fartsy" experiments as well. I mean, it's not like every other traditional game is going away or will be not made anymore. In short, if you ask me, there's room for everyone in the world of video games.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    Yeah, pretty much my thoughts on it as well. You could say the same for That Dragon, Cancer, but Thralled is about a topic that everyone is sick to death about. Not to be insensitive, but everyone gets the message the game is already telling since we've been told multiple times over in the past. At least That Dragon, Cancer is about something that is unique and needs to be said to many. Thralled is just something milking a topic that no one cares about anymore.
    Everyone is a bold word to use since you're pretty much just speaking about yourself. No offense of course, I just mean that while you might find the topic done with, I for one am looking forward to this game with great anticipation. I could try to argue that the topic I'm sick to death of is zombies and that there's a lot more zombie-games than Thralled-games out there, but as we both know two wrongs doesn't make one right and you can't justify a bad thing by calling other things even worse. But what I can say is that Thralled isn't a huge part of the video game industry and it doesn't suck money out of a whole generation, it's more of an underdog trying to tell a story about something the developers think is important. I'd say kicking at this game (and games alike) is like kicking on the small person, the underdog. With that said, we should absolutely be able to critique underdogs as well, and be ruthless just the same, but my main problem here is "everyone". Everyone isn't sick to death about this topic. I am proof of that.
    Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.
    When I first heard of this game it was a brand new topic to me. I was ignorant of the fact that Brazil used to have slavery too. I knew there was a slaved trade going on but history class was so centered on the US that it gave me the impression that the US was the only country buying them. In other words, I thought slavery in more modern times was reinvented by a white supremacist American movement while at the same time the rest of the world felt that it was as wrong as we do today. But now I'm left with the impression that it was a more global issue before the US even existed and American slave owners were behaving in a way that was considered "normal" at the time. That doesn't make them any less guilty but it seems to me that we would be even more guilty if we were to do it again today because maybe back then slavery wasn't a universally known to be evil thing. It could have seemed as normal as burning witches or whatever completely bonkers things that were going on back then because their morality didn't evolve to our present level yet. Anyway, even if I am wrong on my impressions, it still adds enough of a new dimension to the topic of slavery to qualify as a new topic because it brings new things to the table to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Everyone is a bold word to use since you're pretty much just speaking about yourself. No offense of course, I just mean that while you might find the topic done with, I for one am looking forward to this game with great anticipation. I could try to argue that the topic I'm sick to death of is zombies and that there's a lot more zombie-games than Thralled-games out there, but as we both know two wrongs doesn't make one right and you can't justify a bad thing by calling other things even worse. But what I can say is that Thralled isn't a huge part of the video game industry and it doesn't suck money out of a whole generation, it's more of an underdog trying to tell a story about something the developers think is important. I'd say kicking at this game (and games alike) is like kicking on the small person, the underdog. With that said, we should absolutely be able to critique underdogs as well, and be ruthless just the same, but my main problem here is "everyone". Everyone isn't sick to death about this topic. I am proof of that.
    And yet another post where someone took a word way too literally. It's no different when someone says, "Nobody likes [insert something here]" when in reality there are individuals out there (if not a lot) that like what is being talked about. It's a speech mannerism if not a "quirk" that shouldn't be blown up like I'm seeing here. Point being, when I say everybody, I don't mean literally everybody. If you're going to take what people say too literally then you'd be here 24/7, seven days a week, and having coffee pumped straight into your veins because you'd never leave the computer.

My pet peeve aside...

Zombies are indeed done to death and we can thank Google Play & whomever is behind the Call of Duty series for that. I wasn't comparing topics that are or aren't done to death. I'm simply stating a fact that the majority (i.e. not everybody when I said "everybody") doesn't care about a subject that has been done to death. In Thralled's case, it wasn't a game concept done to death and instead a regular topic brought into the realm of video games. It's no different than Zombies (as mentioned already), World War II, Super Mario Bros., and so many other topics.

Sure, we're an underdog in ourselves, but "kicking" this game isn't like picking on a mentally handicapped person like it is the OUYA scene. It's instead like picking on Justin Bieber. A person who has the same music as every other glorified twerp before him. In the samey sense, it's the theme that Thralled has. The rest of your post goes back to taking a single word too literally so I'm going to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophretard View Post
    When I first heard of this game it was a brand new topic to me. I was ignorant of the fact that Brazil used to have slavery too. I knew there was a slaved trade going on but history class was so centered on the US that it gave me the impression that the US was the only country buying them. In other words, I thought slavery in more modern times was reinvented by a white supremacist American movement while at the same time the rest of the world felt that it was as wrong as we do today. But now I'm left with the impression that it was a more global issue before the US even existed and American slave owners were behaving in a way that was considered "normal" at the time. That doesn't make them any less guilty but it seems to me that we would be even more guilty if we were to do it again today because maybe back then slavery wasn't a universally known to be evil thing. It could have seemed as normal as burning witches or whatever completely bonkers things that were going on back then because their morality didn't evolve to our present level yet. Anyway, even if I am wrong on my impressions, it still adds enough of a new dimension to the topic of slavery to qualify as a new topic because it brings new things to the table to think about.
    I find that impossible to believe. Granted no individual is taught the same as another in a different location whether they be from across the street, or across the country, but this is common sense. If you have anyone then you have slavery. Wal-Mart is well-known for having Chinese slaves, North Korea is nothing but slaves to their government, and any place that has a single African American has slavery. Saying you weren't aware of this is like saying that breathing oxygen is unknown to mankind.

I'm not saying that Thralled should have mutants, upgradable weapons, and a baby that you can throw like the cross from Castlevania. I'm simply stating that the theme it's about has been done to death in other forms such as literature. Yes, you could say the same thing about any theme if you wanted, but the difference between Thralled and most themes is that Thralled has no intention of being anything except a story that has been told a billion times already. They should have just made a website and wrote out a dozen paragraphs instead of morphing it into something it didn't need to be.

Will I say that you two should feel bad for being interested in this game? Of course not. If you want to be interested then be interested. If you want to buy it then buy it. However, if you're going to take one word and blow it up into a crime against nature type of thing, or feign ignorance when I know you're not anything of the sort (Schizophretard) then that doesn't fly with me.

And yet another post where someone took a word way too literally. It's no different when someone says, "Nobody likes [insert something here]" when in reality there are individuals out there (if not a lot) that like what is being talked about. It's a speech mannerism if not a "quirk" that shouldn't be blown up like I'm seeing here. Point being, when I say everybody, I don't mean literally everybody. If you're going to take what people say too literally then you'd be here 24/7, seven days a week, and having coffee pumped straight into your veins because you'd never leave the computer.

My pet peeve aside...

Zombies are indeed done to death and we can thank Google Play & whomever is behind the Call of Duty series for that. I wasn't comparing topics that are or aren't done to death. I'm simply stating a fact that the majority (i.e. not everybody when I said "everybody") doesn't care about a subject that has been done to death. In Thralled's case, it wasn't a game concept done to death and instead a regular topic brought into the realm of video games. It's no different than Zombies (as mentioned already), World War II, Super Mario Bros., and so many other topics.

Sure, we're an underdog in ourselves, but "kicking" this game isn't like picking on a mentally handicapped person like it is the OUYA scene. It's instead like picking on Justin Bieber. A person who has the same music as every other glorified twerp before him. In the samey sense, it's the theme that Thralled has. The rest of your post goes back to taking a single word too literally so I'm going to avoid it.
    I wasn't trying to be a douchebag and if I came off that way then I'm sorry! I should try not to take words too literally, I do that sometimes and it's my bad.
    Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

Well...the reaction is better than it could have been I guess. Not going to comment on the other comments because some are out in left field. The game won't be for everyone but I can see there will be a lot of cases where people will just have to agree to disagree and move to other topics.

Not my type of game but might be for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    I believe the term "video games" is big enough to have room for these sort of "artsy-fartsy" experiments as well. I mean, it's not like every other traditional game is going away or will be not made anymore. In short, if you ask me, there's room for everyone in the world of video games.
    To me, it's like asking for chocolate and getting vanilla fudge (aka white chocolate). Nothing inherently wrong with 'white chocolate', but it needs a different name so it doesn't get lumped in with the other thing.
    There are plenty of experimental games that are games. Even a few 'art' games are games (though usually poor/ultrabasic, IMO). This looks like "drag character sprite from point A to point B and cry when scripted bad thing happens."
    Not what I should get when I ask for a videogame. Nothing inherently wrong, but needs a different name.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

To me, it's like asking for chocolate and getting vanilla fudge (aka white chocolate). Nothing inherently wrong with 'white chocolate', but it needs a different name so it doesn't get lumped in with the other thing.
    There are plenty of experimental games that are games. Even a few 'art' games are games (though usually poor/ultrabasic, IMO). This looks like "drag character sprite from point A to point B and cry when scripted bad thing happens."
    Not what I should get when I ask for a videogame. Nothing inherently wrong, but needs a different name.
    Agreed. Anyways, I don't know about you but this thread is smelling like the update thread. A putrid, sour smell that I don't want to be around. I think I'll take my leave from this thread.