PDA

View Full Version : Who would like OUYA to have a gamertag? [POLL]

Eldon.McGuinness
01-29-2014, 09:11 PM
I was just thinking how great it would be to see gamertags for what people are playing on their OUYAs! I remember the homebrew community had something similar on the Wii and perhaps it could be done as an addon or OUYA official update.

Wiinnertag Example
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/46/8ax0.png

Demo:

Here is a demo of what it currently looks like, it will be evolving so check back from time to time.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/t8j4b74vrsino0v/gamer-tag-demo.png

Questions:

Is this something that would show up in like our signature in posts?
Indeed it would be. Done correctly, it would just be a PNG that could be linked to.

mmartino
01-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Wow never heard of them but yeah that would rock! Is this something that would show up in like our signature in posts?

Depo78
01-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Interesting idea for sure.

spinal
01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
It would no doubt take a lot of persuading for team OUYA to implement their user statistics in such a way, might be worth it though.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Wow never heard of them but yeah that would rock! Is this something that would show up in like our signature in posts?
Yes, it could.

It would no doubt take a lot of persuading for team OUYA to implement their user statistics in such a way, might be worth it though.
I would think it would be free advertising.

mmartino
01-29-2014, 09:34 PM
I would think it would be free advertising.

Definitely free advertising! Sounds like a great idea... and I am willing to bet that if we did have a campaign of some kind and suggested it, they would go for it.

Schizophretard
01-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Yes. I would want it modeled after Play like BAWB but our user names, it would show up in PLAY as our most engaging games based on what we personally contribute to the O-rank, when one clicks on the gamertag it takes them to ouya.tv with the list of those games organized so they can push them to their OUYA from there, and if a purchase is made we earn points that will add up to reward game credits or converted into cash to donate to an OUYA Kickstarter of our choice. Or something like that. :)

watson387
01-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I'd love something like this, but sideloaded games and such would have to work too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Eldon.McGuinness
01-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Yes. I would want it modeled after Play like BAWB but our user names, it would show up in PLAY as our most engaging games based on what we personally contribute to the O-rank, when one clicks on the gamertag it takes them to ouya.tv with the list of those games organized so they can push them to their OUYA from there, and if a purchase is made we earn points that will add up to reward game credits or converted into cash to donate to an OUYA Kickstarter of our choice. Or something like that. :)

I don't think that is even what this post was asking LOL. Perhaps make a new thread as that is a completely different suggestion and is likely to just get buried here.

I'd love something like this, but sideloaded games and such would have to work too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure if OUYA implemented it, it would not include sideloaded apps.

Schizophretard
01-30-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't think that is even what this post was asking LOL. Perhaps make a new thread as that is a completely different suggestion and is likely to just get buried here.

Maybe I misunderstood it then. I thought you were talking about an image that we put in our signatures that shows what games we play that is linked to our OUYA's. I was voting yes to that and adding suggestions onto the idea. Anyway, since I misunderstood, I wish to change my vote to no because I don't want to vote yes to something I don't understand but vote yes to your suggestion getting buried with mine. Sorry for the misunderstanding and my suggestion being off topic.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Maybe I misunderstood it then. I thought you were talking about an image that we put in our signatures that shows what games we play that is linked to our OUYA's. I was voting yes to that and adding suggestions onto the idea. Anyway, since I misunderstood, I wish to change my vote to no because I don't want to vote yes to something I don't understand but vote yes to your suggestion getting buried with mine. Sorry for the misunderstanding and my suggestion being off topic.

Perhaps it is just a linguistic issue. I indeed mean the image, but you mention "it would show up in PLAY", to me that means it would be on the OUYA, not an image you could put where ever you like. Perhaps we are just missing each other on this.

Schizophretard
01-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Perhaps it is just a linguistic issue. I indeed mean the image, but you mention "it would show up in PLAY", to me that means it would be on the OUYA, not an image you could put where ever you like. Perhaps we are just missing each other on this.

It is probably my sleeping pill messing up how I explain myself. I meant I would see it in PLAY as one of the organizing hopeful future categories among others in PLAY and the gamertag would show what I see in PLAY on a signature as you describe. It would be like a copy and link to what is on my OUYA. Then do all that other stuff or other ideas like if they had social features you could have your online friends see your PLAY LIKE Eldon.McGuinness on their OUYA. Maybe even show when you are actually playing one especially if it is an online game.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-30-2014, 05:04 PM
I've actually been contemplating how/if this could be done outside of OUYA, perhaps as a service app similar to my On Screen Alerts app, the only downside is I would still need a web-server to generate the images and I'm not sure I could find a free one that is willing to do the image magik :-) Obviously it would not include the PLAY part, but would be a step in the right direction.

Perhaps this could be something that is community supported if it becomes a funds for the server issue and the app is made and proved to be working in advance.

Cheers!

Schizophretard
01-31-2014, 02:09 PM
I wish to apologize for talking about your suggestion getting buried with mine. I took the comment about my idea getting buried too much to heart and we clearly misunderstood each other anyway. I just feel like I was being a little rude. Anyway, I'm sorry man and your suggestion for the gamertags is a good one. :)

Eldon.McGuinness
02-09-2014, 12:00 AM
Just wanted to let people I have started working on this project. First I will be coding the web backend that will store the gamer data and generate the tags, then will come the service for the OUYA.

On another note, I have talked with the maker of Nostalgia and he is considering adding support for this to his app as well. Joy! This way when you launch a game from Nostalgia it will submit the data to the service and add it to your gamertag.

For all you creative types out there, if you would like to submit backgrounds for the tags to be on please let me know.

Killswitch
02-09-2014, 12:26 PM
I was talking to someone about something like this a few weeks ago. Great idea if it could be done, just don't know what is planned for the future of Ouya in terms of this kind of stuff.

dra6onfire
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
The poll is not anonymous? Thats interesting. Anyway, yea once eldon is done with his webservices, I will spend some time adding an opt in option to have your game play data sent out for this purpose. Should be cool if it gets adopted.

Killswitch
02-11-2014, 04:40 AM
What's the background going to look like? Going to have the type there or solid?

JJ-KwiK
02-26-2014, 01:23 AM
Hey there. I would love to see this become an option. I loved the fact that you used wiinnertag as an example, however I always enjoyed DUTag more.
http://tag.darkumbra.net/JJ-KwiK.jpg
Maybe it's because I partially helped create it. :P

You can add some pretty unique features to a tag, even if it doesn't have official support from android game devs. Here's an example of what we did...
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy315/jj-kwik/ex2-1.png
Above are some of the ideas that we implemented into DUTag.
- Trophies. Eventhough the Wii/Nintendo didn't officially support gamertags and achievements, we made our own. When the same game was launched 25 times, you earned a bronze medal. 50 times, you earned a silver medal and 100 times gave you the gold medal.
- A now playing icon. An icon that was displayed on your tag for 30 minutes. Letting your online friends know that you're online and what you're playing if they want to join.
- We let users upload their own backgrounds to use with our various sized templates.
http://puu.sh/7aDJF.jpg

These are features that we implemented that I think could make your gamertag idea great.

Questions:
How do you plan to track games/apps played? Will you create a 3rd party loader, were users will need to launch games from in order to be tracked?
I read that Ouya plans to add an achievement system in the future. Were you aware? I suppose just because there's an achievement system, doesn't mean the api will be publicly available...

I'm very interested in this. I hope it pans out for you :)

sorath72
04-06-2014, 12:55 AM
I want one to be on ouya. Suggested a few things to support already. :)

JJ-KwiK
05-23-2014, 01:50 PM
@Eldon.McGuinness
I'm not sure what your progress is at the moment, but I was thinking...
Why make a gamertag that's specific to the Ouya? Wouldn't it be better if most, if not all, android devices were supported?
Just a thought...

rosse119
06-26-2014, 09:30 AM
This would be great.