PDA

View Full Version : SNES EZ Key Bluefruit Game Pad

joshuartaylor
01-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Anyone else stumble onto this?

SNES EZ Key Bluefruit Game Pad

http://learn.adafruit.com/snes-ez-key-bluefruit-game-pad/overview

Just ordered one...Looking forward to it, if it works...thinking a sega genesis 6 button will be next!

spinal
01-19-2014, 08:05 PM
If it can only map to keyboard/mouse, then you can only really use it in emulators and perhaps some existing android games. Unless they add support for HID gamepad, with customisable button mapping, then it wont be any use for navigating OUYA menus etc.

However, I would have loved to find such a device a while ago when I made a USB snes adapter (http://socoder.net/?topic=3274&seenpost=33667#33667)...

Michael Thompson
01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
It would be awesome to have modded controllers for emulated systems.
Interesting find!

mmartino
01-27-2014, 09:07 PM
They have USB adapters for all the classic systems. We just need some more USB ports lol

spinal
01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
I just updated the firmware to my USB SNE controller, now it's mapped 1:1 (ish) to the OUYA controller, so I can navigate the menus properly etc. It really is nice to use a SNES controller natively on the OUYA system :)

joshuartaylor
01-28-2014, 12:57 AM
They have USB adapters for all the classic systems. We just need some more USB ports lol

Wireless is the direction I'm going for...cut the wires! They're no fun...

spinal
01-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Currently only keyboard and mouse supported. I would want a gamepad support so it could be used to navigate ouya menus atc.

shadow1w2
01-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Currently only keyboard and mouse supported. I would want a gamepad support so it could be used to navigate ouya menus atc.

Wish the Ouya just had better keyboard support with custom key options.
Will have to wait for a custom menu I guess.

I really wanna try this with a Sega Saturn controller and add an extra button for use as select. (maybe another to act as a menu key perhaps?)
I'm with Spinal though I think I'd really like a gamepad mode for such a device.
Just for easy use and not to conflict with other keyboards or text entry.

joshuartaylor
01-30-2014, 03:41 AM
I have tomorrow off from work. I plan on trying to put it together and hopefully finish it by days end. I've only soldered a few projects before, so I'm still slow. I will keep everyone posted.

shadow1w2
01-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Just read this on the store page, probably been there for awhile now but thought I'd post it here for reference at least.

New in v1.1 we've made Bluefruit EZ-Key even better, you can now map keys to mouse button clicks and mouse movement (up/down/left/right) as well as send mouse commands over the UART. We also now have 'over the air' remapping, no Serial cable required to re-map the pins! v1.2 adds support for multimedia keys such as "volume up" and "play/pause"

Still not a gamepad setup but mouse controls could be helpful.

You know what, if they did update it with Gamepad inputs, analogs and well, we already have access to a Menu key I think, so pretty much we could make our own Ouya Pro controller this way.
Eh, maybe too much work, but I can dream eh?

Still if they keep updating it might be worth it to make more like this.

Edit: Dug up a little more, they have arcade stick and button parts :3 Plus a tutorial for a bluetooth arcade pad.
Soo tempted to make one myself if I could easily make the box for it xD
http://learn.adafruit.com/bluetooth-arcade-stick

joshuartaylor
02-06-2014, 05:45 PM
As my luck would have it with such a project...again, not so good with soldering...and small electronics. I get very frustrated. Either way...after putting the iron through the back case shoulder. Breaking off backings supports I needed to hold it all. The drawing board needs to go backwards. Hopefully I didn't ruin any components other than the controller. Til I get a replacement. I'll keep you updated.

spinal
02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
The trick with soldering is to practice. Grab some scrap circuit boards out of something, some wires and get practicing. Solder bits of wire all over the place till your reasonably good at it. Also, try not to use too much solder, you really just need enough to make a good electrical contact, not to provide any sort of strength.

joshuartaylor
02-20-2014, 06:04 PM
I went out and got a new soldering iron (smaller) as well as smaller solder (MUCH smaller than what I was using). I also ordered two new usb controllers from ebay (in case I screw up another controller). Either way...I've been working with longer wires...and have had luck at least powering the unit on. I still need to make my final 11 button points onto the main board, and then will work towards putting it together nicely. Either way, should have an update soon. Crossing fingers! More excited to think about a wireless arcade stick (and a sega controller)!