PDA

View Full Version : More users

Jeffry84
01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
I think that multiple users with share games should be a feature of the Ouya, especially once the credit card is no longer mandatory. In this way everyone in the house can have his/her own savegames, high scores and settings. It's quite strange to me to see a unix-like system without a /home folder. What do you think?

flamepanther
01-14-2014, 11:00 AM
That would be one way of handling things. However, I think developers should be implementing multiple save slots to begin with. Plenty of users are going to be approaching the system as a game console, not as a unix-like computer, so console-like behavior should be preferred.

Jeffry84
01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I don't know, ps3 has users and it's a console. One can access every installed game even if s/he's not the owner. I don't know if ps3 has a home folder in its filesystem nor I need the Ouya to copy everything from it. The /home folder thing was just a suggestion.

mmartino
01-14-2014, 03:29 PM
I don't think they have plans on removing the credit card requirement but it would be nice to have multiple save slots. I was really surprised to see games written with only one! They could set up multiple users but I think the multiple game saves would work and be easier.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I would love to see a unified game save system, that way people could backup their saved games if they need to reset for some random OUYA issue...

Jeffry84
01-14-2014, 07:01 PM
I would love to see a unified game save system, that way people could backup their saved games if they need to reset for some random OUYA issue...

~/.yourprogram/save_and-or_config_file

It still sounds good to me.

Plenty of users are going to be approaching the system as a game console, not as a unix-like computer, so console-like behavior should be preferred.

True. The existence of a home folder doesn't imply that the common user has to be aware of it though. My Gameboy (or any other console of mine) is still a magic tool that magically plays my cartridges. The Ouya can do the same and have a /home.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-14-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't care where they put it, they just need to make it non-root accessible that way an application can be made to back it all up to say dropbox or even a usb drive.