PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Goals for the OUYA Community

LightyKD
01-12-2014, 07:34 AM
It's a new year and I need to point out a few things that I believe should be goals for this community abd by community I mean gamers, developers, modders AND OUYA Inc.

Push Tegra 3
There is already a Tegra 3 overclock mod for this console but I would like OUYA Inc to consider blening in that mod with a future update. The console is not tethered to a battery so we should be able to push things further. Additionally, devs who are capable of making games with realistic graphics should try to up their graphics game this year.

Social Features
Um... can we get popup notifications, a messenger, voice and video chat?!

OUYA Inc. could easily solve the messenger problem by using their database of email addresses and making a email app that will only send/receive messages from other email addresses within their database. Basically the app will be a modified version of the standard "email" app that comes with every android device but it will blacklist any email address that is not associated with a OUYA account.

As for voice chat, we as a community could always choose to use Skype and hopefully someone could make a app that would tie our Skype names to our OUYA names.

Video chat would be the hardest and we as a community would all have to agree on at least three different camera models so that the right programmer could make a driver for it.

Second Screen Experience
I'm working on that with the "My OUYA" project but it would be nice to see more developers create companion apps for their OUYA games

Alternate Control Styles
Some of us actually like motion controls. The Wii Remote isn't some evil device. We can embrace it!

Account Control
THIS is a major one. I don't like the idea that you lose access to your games, the moment your OUYA account goes south. it's even more of a slap in the face when the damn games are STILL on the system but you can't get to the games you paid for with your hard earned money due to an issue with your account. This needs to be fixed. Either OUYA Inc. agrees to lock games to the console as well as your account so that games cant be transferred but can be accessed in the event of a Account situation or a modder seriously needs to come along and make a workaround.

Google Play Games
NO I am not advocating for a total Google Play takeover of OUYA consoles BUT I would love to be able to log into Google Play Games so that I can use multiplayer in some of my side loaded games. There are many of us who use BOTH Google Play and Discover on our consoles and do not allow one to overshadow the other. I wrote about the issues due to lack of Google Play Games within my Sonic Racing Transformed thread so go there for more info.

OK everyone, I believe this is it for now. As always, I want to read your thoughts so, post below!

CodemonkeyAlx
01-12-2014, 07:46 AM
PERSONAL:
I got ahold of a copy of GameMaker Studio around thanksgiving time so my main goal is to start dabbling in game making / dev.
- While I don't have the android support module yet I plan to get it one way or another.

As far as normal dev goes I am working on getting better all around with Java / Android.
To do this I enrolled in a few classes online. One being Harvard EDx Intro to computer Science (CS50x) which is free and its self paced. Icing on the cake being there is a certificate to be had at the end stating you completed the course. Second being an android app development class that starts on the 21st of the month. Again certificate at the end.

Both of these are really resume builders and don't hurt to have.

Aside of this I am trying to be more positive about things and all around just start having more fun.

OUYA:
I would love to see the following out of ouya:
1.) Account control as mentioned above.
2.) Ouya standard social tools - Friends List / Ability to send emails / messages to friends and so on.

I am sure there a more for this list but those are the two main ones.

So that is about it... >.>

iprice
01-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Advertising - OUYA must realize that advertising does help to sell things. Having graffiti artists paint murals is nice and all, but it doesn't shout to the unknowing masses what OUYA is, what it can do etc. Show them. In magazines. In newspapers. On tv. Show them that without OUYA you're not having as much fun as you could be. Make OUYA a known entity to everyone. Speculate to accumulate.

Personalization - Allow the user to alter the background screens and number of images/tiles that are shown in Discover and play. Allow you to view games alphanumerically/by latest/by oldest/by developer etc. Full and proper integration of PS3 and XBox controllers without devs having to do this - let the OUYA remap these controllers to the OUYA standard (but make it optional so that it doesn't break old games with these already configured).

Social integration - As mentioned above, I.M, Friends Lists, Achievements, FaceBook, Twitter etc. part and parcel of the OUYA experience from the off.

zeha
01-12-2014, 10:04 AM
could someone please explain what's the deal with those requested "social" feautures btw? why should i want to send emails from my ouya?

sahoskins12
01-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Ouya:
To be honest I like the way things are going at the moment with the console. Would be nice to see some positive publicity in the media for once though and some sub-menus in the Play section would be nice rather than having to go through my entire collection.

Personal:
I have 1 game almost complete which I'd like to have released within the next month or so and another that is a bigger project which is coming along very well. Ideally in the next 4-6 months I would like to have 3 Ouya releases under my belt.

Outlander999
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
OUYA INC failed basically in the MARKETING.
first of all, I hope Julie Uhrman will lower the sale prize (now that Tegra4 is old, and TegraK1 came, why not sell Ouya at 50 dollars???) and promote that.

About things you others said,
-I'd like social features, not the priority but could be cool

-I'd like an official overclock app from OUYA INC (but only if the system can manage it. For now I don't want to root Ouya - and I don't want a broken Ouya because don't know if the standard fan can manage the overclock.)

-personally no interest in remote support (nunchuk-like things)

-personalization: same as iprice just said.

Killswitch
01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
I could go on and on about marketing aspects. Just seems out of place sometimes, other times just not right. Look at how many ideas we have here on the forum that would help. Marketing isn't that hard if you put the right minds on it. People make it seem like brain surgery but it doesn't have to be that hard.

Communication, after the FTG debacle they were communicating and everyone was happy, now it's back to nothing. This has been an issue for a long time though. They even make something as simple as email become agonizing and painful. I only received a response from 1 person out of 5 since July.

Social, big thing for developers and consumers. There is a company trying to be part of the movement but so far they have been ignored. I have mentioned them here a few times, he posts here. He's willing to work with Ouya and can resolve this issue quickly without them having to reinvent the wheel but it's been like 3 months so far and nothing. I've been trying to assist but it gets nowhere when no one answers. Either way, I will be implementing their system into any of my future online multiplayer games and maybe all in general so there are achievements, etc.

Ouya has time issues, some competitor can come along, smooth out the wrinkles and knock them out the box. Imagine if one of those Google boxes landed smoothly into the marketplace or Gamestick. Or what if things stay stagnant, that's risking death.

Bah...who's going to start the thread next month and see the same things mentioned? :p

Sluup
01-12-2014, 11:14 AM
idk lighty, sounds like you want these added to benefit yourself. I think they're best left in modders and hackers hand.

TheLion
01-12-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm a simple man, I just want that white one that's all.

Nadious
01-12-2014, 01:33 PM
I would love to see some kind of cloud / backup service for saved gamea that allows me to easily backup my saved data in the event of a system restore or data loss.

Nitrogen_Widget
01-12-2014, 03:38 PM
The Ouya has finally convinced me to take up Java.
I've been wanting to do an automation project on my RaspberryPi with some Java libraries & there are libs & dev environments for java on android also so why not?

I don't expect to be pushing out games any time soon however I like the prospect of building models with blender 3d.

LightyKD
01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
idk lighty, sounds like you want these added to benefit yourself. I think they're best left in modders and hackers hand.

What benefits me, benefits everyone else and is best for business! :victorious: -also, I'm adding a new one.

Multitasking
In order for these social features to work there needs to be some level of multitasking. The in-game "System Menu" will have to be revamped to allow you to switch apps/games without closing what I would consider to be your main four. IMO at any given time a user should be able to switch between a maximum of four programs. Those programs would include your OUYA game, your default web browser and two communication apps.

Jon_TWR
01-12-2014, 05:25 PM
What benefits me, benefits everyone else and is best for business! :victorious: -also, I'm adding a new one.

Multitasking
In order for these social features to work there needs to be some level of multitasking. The in-game "System Menu" will have to be revamped to allow you to switch apps/games without closing what I would consider to be your main four. IMO at any given time a user should be able to switch between a maximum of four programs. Those programs would include your OUYA game, your default web browser and two communication apps.Google Play support of any kind would not really be good for business, even the limited ways you describe.

I think multitasking is a good idea, but I think Ouya doesn't need video chat. Voice chat, and to a lesser degree, text would be good. But voice chat in-game would be killer.

Web browser? What kind of masochists are using the Ouya to browse the web as a primary function!?

Eldon.McGuinness
01-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Push Tegra 3
There is already a Tegra 3 overclock mod for this console but I would like OUYA Inc to consider blening in that mod with a future update. The console is not tethered to a battery so we should be able to push things further. Additionally, devs who are capable of making games with realistic graphics should try to up their graphics game this year.

Well, I would imagine this would shorten the lifespan of the product and thus be counter to the normal ideals of most. I don't want my OUYA kicking the bucket any sooner than it has to.

Social Features
Um... can we get popup notifications, a messenger, voice and video chat?!

You can already get pop-up, check out my app [On Screen Alerts (http://www.progressivethink.in/applications/on-screen-alerts/)]

OUYA Inc. could easily solve the messenger problem by using their database of email addresses and making a email app that will only send/receive messages from other email addresses within their database. Basically the app will be a modified version of the standard "email" app that comes with every android device but it will blacklist any email address that is not associated with a OUYA account.

Just install Aquamail or some other client, I think having it as part of the firmware is a bit overkill since many will not use it.

As for voice chat, we as a community could always choose to use Skype and hopefully someone could make a app that would tie our Skype names to our OUYA names.

Video chat would be the hardest and we as a community would all have to agree on at least three different camera models so that the right programmer could make a driver for it.

I think these would just take too much from the processor to do while running a game, and really would not be used by most at this time. However, a skype application would be nice!

Second Screen Experience
I'm working on that with the "My OUYA" project but it would be nice to see more developers create companion apps for their OUYA games

Meh, would have to see what exact benefit this has. Please don't reference the WiiU since I don't have one and will not get the reference :-P

Alternate Control Styles
Some of us actually like motion controls. The Wii Remote isn't some evil device. We can embrace it!

Most people hate motion control so please OUYA, save this as the last thing you work on, behind the unified field theory and world peace.

Account Control
THIS is a major one. I don't like the idea that you lose access to your games, the moment your OUYA account goes south. it's even more of a slap in the face when the damn games are STILL on the system but you can't get to the games you paid for with your hard earned money due to an issue with your account. This needs to be fixed. Either OUYA Inc. agrees to lock games to the console as well as your account so that games cant be transferred but can be accessed in the event of a Account situation or a modder seriously needs to come along and make a workaround.

I would love to hear more about this issue, especially since I have no idea what you're talking about.

Google Play Games
NO I am not advocating for a total Google Play takeover of OUYA consoles BUT I would love to be able to log into Google Play Games so that I can use multiplayer in some of my side loaded games. There are many of us who use BOTH Google Play and Discover on our consoles and do not allow one to overshadow the other. I wrote about the issues due to lack of Google Play Games within my Sonic Racing Transformed thread so go there for more info.

I don't ever see this happening since OUYA make money off of the OUYA store, including the Google Store would make it one step closer to cutting itself off at the knees.

Multitasking
In order for these social features to work there needs to be some level of multitasking. The in-game "System Menu" will have to be revamped to allow you to switch apps/games without closing what I would consider to be your main four. IMO at any given time a user should be able to switch between a maximum of four programs. Those programs would include your OUYA game, your default web browser and two communication apps.

You can already do this with a service, check out my app as mentioned above.

LightyKD
01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Google Play support of any kind would not really be good for business, even the limited ways you describe.

I think multitasking is a good idea, but I think Ouya doesn't need video chat. Voice chat, and to a lesser degree, text would be good. But voice chat in-game would be killer.

Web browser? What kind of masochists are using the Ouya to browse the web as a primary function!?

I don't know if I stated it earlier but not all goals posted from me are something that I specifically want OUYA Inc. to do. The Google Play goal is purely for modders. I know that Google Play wouldn't help the games in Discover. but face facts, some of us DO side load games and we should be able to use our side loaded games to the fullest. Just because we side load does not mean that we side load games that are available on Discover. Personally, the very few side loaded games I have that are also on Discover (and I think it's just Sonic) are on my machine because A) I already own the game and B) there was some odd thing that made the OUYA version seem pointless (in the case of Sonic lack of Tegra effects and multiplayer)

-as for communication features. I disagree with you. Video and audio chat IS needed. The OUYA is a 21st century console in the social age. If you dont think that the android console competition isnt thinking about social features, then you need to get checked. I can bet you dollars to doughnuts that if the rumored Chromebox comes out this year, Google WILL integrate hangout into Google Play Games for complete social features. OUYA Inc. needs to beat them to the punch.

Mabit
01-12-2014, 06:09 PM
The only thing I would like OUYA Inc to allow would be the ability to allow developers access to the players ID. this would allow us to save states and implement highscore tables, achievements and so on. I hate that the first thing my players have to do is type in their name on a control pad.

LightyKD
01-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Well, I would imagine this would shorten the lifespan of the product and thus be counter to the normal ideals of most. I don't want my OUYA kicking the bucket any sooner than it has to.

I think that the OUYA is tough enough to handle a bit of overclocking.

You can already get pop-up, check out my app [On Screen Alerts (http://www.progressivethink.in/applications/on-screen-alerts/)]

Your website does not make it clear where we can find the Android version of your app. Have you tried submitting your app to the OUYA store? Also your app looks very clean! Kudos! It would be nice if you could map a button combination for quick replying. Something like hold down "[LT]+(R3)", a button combination that wouldn't be used.

Just install Aquamail or some other client, I think having it as part of the firmware is a bit overkill since many will not use it.

I have Gmail installed. It would just be nice if OUYA Inc. had the vision to implement the type of mail system I described.

I think these would just take too much from the processor to do while running a game, and really would not be used by most at this time. However, a skype application would be nice!

My DUAL core phone can handle 8 apps at the same time. I'm more than sure that the PENTA (5) core OUYA can gandle what I'm talking about. Besides I'm not talking about video chatting DURING gameplay. That would be separate but I would like to see voice chat during gameplay.

Meh, would have to see what exact benefit this has. Please don't reference the WiiU since I don't have one and will not get the reference :-P

There are already a few really good second screen companion apps for certain OUYA games. It's all about having new ways to play. Not everybody wants to play a game with a standard controller.

Most people hate motion control so please OUYA, save this as the last thing you work on, behind the unified field theory and world peace.

-again, maybe in your hardcore gaming friend base, you guys might feel that way but not everyone wants to play games the traditional way. Hardcorez COD style frat boy gamers does NOT equal all gamers. The OUYA needs to appeal to as many people as possible if they want to sell as many units as possible. Even sony and Microsoft understands the importance of motion controls and BTW, not all motion games = Wii Sports.

I would love to hear more about this issue, especially since I have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess you were not around when I had my account scare but YES, if your account gets deactivated by mistake or any other reason, your OUYA console gets locked to the login screen and you will NOT have access to nay of the games you paid for and it's even worse knowing that the games nor consoles have been erased. The games are just sitting there, on the console behind a login screen that you can not pass due to you account being disabled and quite frankly, that's bullshit. Nobody should EVER be denied games that they paid for with their hard earned money.

I don't ever see this happening since OUYA make money off of the OUYA store, including the Google Store would make it one step closer to cutting itself off at the knees.

I already said that this goal is NOT for OUYA Inc. It's for the modders.

You can already do this with a service, check out my app as mentioned above.

Again, I need to find the Android version of your app first.

Starfighter
01-12-2014, 07:38 PM
The link he provided takes you to the Android version.

LightyKD
01-12-2014, 07:45 PM
The link he provided takes you to the Android version.

My bad! I stand corrected! :)

Monster
01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
This year the company needs to work on features and they need to stabilize the launcher. They need to prepare for the next console. The OUYA isn't really something to be proud of, I'm hoping for the next console to change my way of thinking. I'm not sure if there's much that the community can do at this moment.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Your website does not make it clear where we can find the Android version of your app. Have you tried submitting your app to the OUYA store? Also your app looks very clean! Kudos! It would be nice if you could map a button combination for quick replying. Something like hold down "[LT]+(R3)", a button combination that wouldn't be used.

The alert application is not an actual IM app, it uses UDP to allow alerts from any device/application that is able to send messages via UDP (PC, Mac, Arduino, etc). As for the OUYA store, I have major issues with their Marketplace Agreement and will not be publishing anything I make on it until they are resolved, it sucks, but what can I say, I prefer to have my money instead of OUYA holding it indefinitely.

sahoskins12
01-12-2014, 09:39 PM
but what can I say, I prefer to have my money instead of OUYA holding it indefinitely.

I have an issue with that part of the agreement too. Not a deal breaker for me but I don't like it all the same.

LightyKD
01-12-2014, 10:25 PM
The alert application is not an actual IM app, it uses UDP to allow alerts from any device/application that is able to send messages via UDP (PC, Mac, Arduino, etc). As for the OUYA store, I have major issues with their Marketplace Agreement and will not be publishing anything I make on it until they are resolved, it sucks, but what can I say, I prefer to have my money instead of OUYA holding it indefinitely.

I wasn't looking for a instant messenger in regards to notifications but something that will make popups of the traditional Android notifications. That way I can see when someone emails me, when I get a new tweet, ect

Eldon.McGuinness
01-12-2014, 10:26 PM
I have an issue with that part of the agreement too. Not a deal breaker for me but I don't like it all the same.

It is definitely a deal breaker for me, this app is a niche app and it would likely take me a while to generate the needed $195USD+ to get any money from it. Instead I choose to market it on my own and keep all the profit and see my money now, while keeping the cost down.

I wasn't looking for a instant messenger in regards to notifications but something that will make popups of the traditional Android notifications. That way I can see when someone emails me, when I get a new tweet, ect

You can definitely do that if you set up an app like trillian on a computer and have it forward alerts to the ouya. On Screen Alerts can literally be used to display any alert you wish, you just need to have an app or machine to send the alert to it. The scripts on my page are python based so they work on a wide range of systems. Those scripts can be used with applications that can run a command on certain events, such as trillian and thunderbird (last time I checked thunderbird could do this).

It has a very wide range of uses as you can see. I plan on getting a couple of arduinos, hooking them to the washer/drier and front door so I get alerts when the laundry is done or when someone is at the door.

LightyKD
01-12-2014, 11:12 PM
It is definitely a deal breaker for me, this app is a niche app and it would likely take me a while to generate the needed $195USD+ to get any money from it. Instead I choose to market it on my own and keep all the profit and see my money now, while keeping the cost down.

You can definitely do that if you set up an app like trillian on a computer and have it forward alerts to the ouya. On Screen Alerts can literally be used to display any alert you wish, you just need to have an app or machine to send the alert to it. The scripts on my page are python based so they work on a wide range of systems. Those scripts can be used with applications that can run a command on certain events, such as trillian and thunderbird (last time I checked thunderbird could do this).

It has a very wide range of uses as you can see. I plan on getting a couple of arduinos, hooking them to the washer/drier and front door so I get alerts when the laundry is done or when someone is at the door.

Was kinda hoping that I would not have to use a outside source to get my notifications but I might give it a shot.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Well the real issue comes down to it slowing down gameplay, if you do not offload the queries to another machine you will be wasting ticks which can lead to game slowdown. A great example of this, at least to me, is how Meltdown slows to a crawl when you start it and it does its cloud upload bit. Imagine that happening while you are playing a game!

That being said, one could create an app to do the polling on the OUYA and pause it when playing a game, but then that defeats the purpose of the alerts. :/

undftdroar
01-12-2014, 11:58 PM

that sounds awesome, I have my arduino and still haven't had a chance to play around with it, I want to make some sort of led marquee to hang on the wall for online notifications.

Eldon.McGuinness
01-13-2014, 02:42 AM
Yup, I can't wait till I get to play with it, but I'm happy with it showing on the TV(s) :-P

James Andrew Coote
01-13-2014, 02:10 PM
I'd like to see a much more polished OUYA 2 come out this year, that is aimed at families and casual players.

I'd also like to see some more consistent / coherent marketing, rather than reactionary and throwing things out to see what sticks. For example, have a different theme every month. Make February "couch-with-friends" month, in which local multiplayer games are pushed by OUYA. Where the curated parts of the store emphasise those games. Where us in the community can organise OUYA parties where people can all get together and play with/against each other.

Or for example, those artists OUYA commissioned to paint pictures inspired by OUYA, could have been part of an "art games" month, in which artsy games like Mirror Moon or Luxuria are heavily featured. And where OUYA community are encouraged to take part by sending in their own art work inspired by OUYA and its games

mmartino
01-13-2014, 02:17 PM
As for the alerts and video... then only problem I see with this is performance. I have yet to see a single Android device with the power to multitask at the level required to include these social features. I mean you can't even download a game while running one. If this worked flawless I can see it but for me and probably at least some others, I would rather sacrifice all else for the sake of well performing games. I just can't see it happening until they upgrade the hardware to something that can handle it

Jake53
02-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Official Recovery!

The newest update has addressed many issues people have had with the system, Official Recovery for your ouya is the last big thing remaining IMO.

Paul Laimal-Convoy
02-05-2014, 12:45 AM
could someone please explain what's the deal with those requested "social" feautures btw? why should i want to send emails from my ouya?

You might want to send bug reports or requests to devs, exchange messages with gamers, post updates to sites via email, etc.

I would add that the ouya needs some form of integrated address book/contacts as I've not found a way of saving contacts to use on my ouya at present.

I could go on and on about marketing aspects. Just seems out of place sometimes, other times just not right. Look at how many ideas we have here on the forum that would help. Marketing isn't that hard if you put the right minds on it. People make it seem like brain surgery but it doesn't have to be that hard.

Communication, after the FTG debacle they were communicating and everyone was happy, now it's back to nothing. This has been an issue for a long time though. They even make something as simple as email become agonizing and painful. I only received a response from 1 person out of 5 since July.

Social, big thing for developers and consumers. There is a company trying to be part of the movement but so far they have been ignored. I have mentioned them here a few times, he posts here. He's willing to work with Ouya and can resolve this issue quickly without them having to reinvent the wheel but it's been like 3 months so far and nothing. I've been trying to assist but it gets nowhere when no one answers. Either way, I will be implementing their system into any of my future online multiplayer games and maybe all in general so there are achievements, etc.

Ouya has time issues, some competitor can come along, smooth out the wrinkles and knock them out the box. Imagine if one of those Google boxes landed smoothly into the marketplace or Gamestick. Or what if things stay stagnant, that's risking death.

Bah...who's going to start the thread next month and see the same things mentioned? :p

I agree with communication. I've emailed a few debs who make games for android and they've replied stating that they're still waiting for ouya to get back to them.

As for social, i think including a clickable contact email address in the game info page at the discover shop would be good. Just like the Google play shop has; it would be useful to pass on bugs and requests to devs easily.

Hello, I merged your posts. Please use the edit button next time. Thanks! - Kaim

Brown339
02-05-2014, 01:00 AM
1. Social integration is top priority. Without it, Ouya feels less like a 'game console' and more like an 'android console', and yes, there is a big difference between the two. Friends list, some form of messaging, and at least one decent multiplayer game is a must.
2. Better discover marketplace. As of now it seems crowded, unorganized, and to some devs, unfair. Everytime you get on your Ouya you see the same games listed at the top (Towerfall, Amazing Frog, Soul Fjord...). While these games are great, other promising games deserve some spotlight as well. There's different categories and genres, sure, but how often do you think players scroll down the list to search for those games? I say make the navigation more horizontal. With categories/genres separating the views.
3. More strict regulation of which games get published. Contrasting my last point, there are definitely some developers (no offense) whose games are way below par and are essentially taking up space in the marketplace. I know I'd rather have an empty marketplace with a few solid titles rather than a packed market with a bunch of rushed products. I've played Ouya games that lacked decent menu navigation, used little to no optimization techniques, had terrible graphics, the list goes on. One game you couldn't even use the Ouya controller buttons in the menu, you had to use the touchpad! As an indie console it's admirable to give hope many aspiring developers, but a bunch of rotten fruit will spoil the bunch. Ouya needs to get tougher on their content review. Decent graphics and sound, fun gameplay, solid performance, intelligent button mapping... these are all aspects which should be reviewed before a game is permitted onto the marketplace.

rosse119
02-05-2014, 01:06 PM
My aim is to have a couple of games out by Christmas this year.

lartomar2002
02-05-2014, 03:19 PM
A newer Nvidia processor (Tegra 4 or K1). A better gpu and more ram. Not really impotant for more internal storage now that we have the ability to expand storage via external drives. Game developers are now started to come out with more intense graphics and enviorments so I am sure theywill rise up to challenge the Tegra 4 or K1 processors and a improved gpu. GO OUYA.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-05-2014, 03:27 PM
I really hate hearing people call out for more ram in the OUYA.
It doesn't need it.
Both xbox 360 & PS3 only had 512mb of ram.

mmartino
02-05-2014, 04:12 PM
I really hate hearing people call out for more ram in the OUYA.
It doesn't need it.
Both xbox 360 & PS3 only had 512mb of ram.

Yeah but you have to remember they are consumers. They don't have to understand how things work. They have been told that the newer, bigger, more expensive stuff is how they get what they want so anyone that still feels they are missing something will always cry for my Gb's of whatever, and higher number of gflops, and more hard drive and more games and more, more, more, more. This is the exact strategy that moves capitalism. The users beg for what the companies tell them they need. The companies are then more then happy to produce it and sell it... at a nice price too ;)

Kaimega
02-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah but you have to remember they are consumers. They don't have to understand how things work. They have been told that the newer, bigger, more expensive stuff is how they get what they want so anyone that still feels they are missing something will always cry for my Gb's of whatever, and higher number of gflops, and more hard drive and more games and more, more, more, more. This is the exact strategy that moves capitalism. The users beg for what the companies tell them they need. The companies are then more then happy to produce it and sell it... at a nice price too ;)

..ugh.. capitalism..

LightyKD
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
we dont need a RAM and GPU upgrade right now but I would like to see virtual RAM via setting aside 2 gigs of the hard drive for game resources, ect.

Schizophretard
02-05-2014, 04:54 PM
..ugh.. capitalism..

...ugh... American flags with MADE IN CHINA on them...(Schizo hinting that there isn't really a free market.)

Anyway, mmartino has a point though. It is the same reason people buy really fast sport cars even though there are speed limits.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-05-2014, 05:19 PM
...ugh... American flags with MADE IN CHINA on them...(Schizo hinting that there isn't really a free market.)

Anyway, mmartino has a point though. It is the same reason people buy really fast sport cars even though there are speed limits.

IDK, sports car vs mid-size sedan you can tell a difference.
I seriously doubt anyone would notice a difference between a 1gb ouya & a 2 GB ouya.

bah.
Because i'm a computer guy at work everyone & I mean everyone comes to me for my opinion on some overpriced piece of technology they think they need when they don't need even close to that.

I think i'm more annoyed with the so called "experts" writing these articles.
They are supposed to know better.
They pass on misinformation to others and just make the OUYA and other devices look bad.

justacooldudeuknow28
02-06-2014, 03:05 AM
Please make it so the ouya can be powered off using a controller. Please at night I get too tired to have to go to the ouya system to power it off.

Thank you!

undftdroar
02-06-2014, 03:15 AM
just put it to sleep from the menu.

Schizophretard
02-06-2014, 03:19 AM
IDK, sports car vs mid-size sedan you can tell a difference. I seriously doubt anyone would notice a difference between a 1gb ouya & a 2 GB ouya.

The analogy is speed. A sports car that could blow away a mid-size sedan isn't much different going 55 miles per hour when a cop's radar gun is on it. The sports car might as well be a mid-size sedan since they aren't going to use it in NASCAR. So, people may not notice a difference between a 1GB and 2GB OUYA because of the speed limit but a 2GB OUYA still sounds like a faster car.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
The analogy is speed. A sports car that could blow away a mid-size sedan isn't much different going 55 miles per hour when a cop's radar gun is on it. The sports car might as well be a mid-size sedan since they aren't going to use it in NASCAR. So, people may not notice a difference between a 1GB and 2GB OUYA because of the speed limit but a 2GB OUYA still sounds like a faster car.

I think gas tank capacity or mileage works as a better analogy.
The Blueberry will get way more mileage than the Family Truckster but since people only use it to get groceries they really won't make too much of a difference because they will rarely run the tank dry.

Schizophretard
02-06-2014, 07:31 PM
I think gas tank capacity or mileage works as a better analogy.
The Blueberry will get way more mileage than the Family Truckster but since people only use it to get groceries they really won't make too much of a difference because they will rarely run the tank dry.

Not really because the size of a gas tank and having good gas mileage are things you are likely to need but it is very unlikely you will need to go 120 miles per hour on a highway. The point of the analogy is that people pay for more even if they may never use it. People may not ever use or need the full 2GB but they still may pay for it. It's not complicated. More is better. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgxzjrodNvI

mmartino
02-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Not really because the size of a gas tank and having good gas mileage are things you are likely to need but it is very unlikely you will need to go 120 miles per hour on a highway. The point of the analogy is that people pay for more even if they may never use it. People may not ever use or need the full 2GB but they still may pay for it. It's not complicated. More is better. :D

More More More More I like it so I want more

Bad part is the understanding of the concept of more if confused more often then not these days as:

Need Need Need Need I like it and I need it and I am entitled to it because it is my world and you have no right to keep me from it.

Hey look at that, they made a movie about it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRiuZIuwxnQ

Sorry.... btw wasn't this topic about coming up with goals for the Ouya community for this year to give the Ouya reps ideas? Just wondering lol

MegaManV
02-06-2014, 08:46 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to get jumped for saying this, but I'm just gonna get it off my chest- is it really necessary for every single device to have social features? I've stayed away from things like Facebook and Twitter, only used Skype on my laptop, and never really used voice chat because of the kind of mentalities formed on it and the former two services. We have computers, phones, tablets, and the "big 3" to provide social features for us already. Does the Ouya really need them THAT badly?

Personally, I think Ouya's current "grassroots", open nature is just fine without them, and that Ouya should really be focusing on increasing and improving its marketing- aimming towards families and couch gamers, getting the Ouya notcied by more people.

There. I said it.:fatigue:

timmytot666
02-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I agree with you mostly... but with online games should come a friends list where you can invite them to play with you.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Schizophretard
02-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Sorry.... btw wasn't this topic about coming up with goals for the Ouya community for this year to give the Ouya reps ideas? Just wondering lol

Well, goals for the community in general but yes. So, some of my list:

1. The ability to transfer games/apps and their save states to other OUYA's(white,black, 2.0). In other words, get external storage out of beta. This one is the most important one for me personally.

2. This time wait until the Christmas shopping season to release OUYA 2.0 with most advertising around that time focused on hyping up the launch.

3. The other advertising money and resources spent in the mean time on online ads and getting the displays and kiosks for Target done.

4. Try to get Walmart to be a part of OUYA 2.0's launch. Forget GameStop, Best Buy, or other game/electronic stores. At least for sales not online.

5. Work on ways to organize Play.

6. Create some kind of used OUYA program where customers can trade in an old model if they wish to upgrade to another that gives them a discount or game credits and then OUYA donates the used ones to developers or sells them cheap as refurbished. If GameStop doesn't stock them new in stores then they won't sell them used. None should be wasted.

7. OUYA mall kiosks. They are like a non-store store in a mall for mall rats to like totally try out and then buy an OUYA. There may be some potential at Hot Topic stores too. If they will buy PAC-MAN belt buckles then they will buy an OUYA. Just shape the box like a skateboard or a metal lunch box. What does skateboarding and lunch have to do with video games? I have no clue. That is why it may work.

8. Spend all $300 of my game credits I got for Christmas and also get me a black Knight Rider OUYA(To be used after #1 is done).

That is all I have for now.

mmartino
02-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Well, goals for the community in general but yes. So, some of my list:

1. The ability to transfer games/apps and their save states to other OUYA's(white,black, 2.0). In other words, get external storage out of beta. This one is the most important one for me personally.

This! Number one priority followed shortly by a better system recovery option. Then expand. These need dome though just for peace of mind for the users that do not want to keep starting games over!

Killswitch
02-06-2014, 10:09 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to get jumped for saying this, but I'm just gonna get it off my chest- is it really necessary for every single device to have social features? I've stayed away from things like Facebook and Twitter, only used Skype on my laptop, and never really used voice chat because of the kind of mentalities formed on it and the former two services. We have computers, phones, tablets, and the "big 3" to provide social features for us already. Does the Ouya really need them THAT badly?

Personally, I think Ouya's current "grassroots", open nature is just fine without them, and that Ouya should really be focusing on increasing and improving its marketing- aimming towards families and couch gamers, getting the Ouya notcied by more people.

Social features should not be instant messaging or email but the ability to play with others, etc.
Some of us have no friends dammit, we just want to belong :p

Nitrogen_Widget
02-06-2014, 11:01 PM

I forgot what this was about. :( LOL!

J/k I want to see PS3 & xbox 360 controllers properly recognized, or an ouya controller without a touch pad that is just as cheap as the before mentioned controllers.
The ability to back up apps natively would be great however I think they need to set rules for developers for save game data in order for that to happen.

LightyKD
02-07-2014, 02:57 AM
A Few Things

1) The MyOuya Project is being delayed again. I swear it's not my fault. The post office really, really REALLY screwed me over this week and after three weeks of waiting for my tablet to make it from China to the US, some idiot made a decision to send it back to China. And to put salt on the wound the damn thing made it all the way to 30 minutes away from my home. Trust me I was fuming all day.

2) I found this nifty app today: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ToxicBakery.apps.voicecommand I wonder if XBox 360/One style voice commands could be added to the OUYA with the help of a bluetooth headset.

3) Finally I would like to start a Digital Instruction Manual initiative. Obviously, I am more than willing to help make the PDF files but it would be nice to have all developers agree to help out with this project and agree on a format.

dra6onfire
02-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Push Tegra 3 --> Devs work with what they have in the direction they want. I doubt overclocking would see much benefit

Social Features --> Please No. I like you guys but I'm fine over here

Second Screen Experience --> I can't even look at the field and the radar at the same time in halo. I don't need a whole other screen

Alternate Control Styles --> To each their own, but I'm not interested here

Account Control --> Interesting. Some of this should definitely be looked into by Ouya

Google Play Games --> I don't care for Ouya to support the play store but I would like for them to accept that it will be used by some people and stop breaking it with updates.

sberghici
02-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Please add Bluetooth microphone/headset support for the multiplayer chat

Schizophretard
02-07-2014, 04:47 AM

I don't mind OUYA providing them for others but I agree and doubt I would use them. I never have before because my social feature has always been another controller. I enjoy playing with other people like you can on Meltdown but if I needed to communicate with someone I could already do that here or in some other fashion online. If I could talk to people on the OUYA then that is kind of like a phone call. It would somewhat feed the idea that the OUYA is a phone without a screen. The biggest social feature I crave is with the game itself. I want games with good AI. I appreciate games that seem to be thinking. I know it can't be done on the OUYA or any console at all yet but ideally I would want a game to actually want to win and be so intelligent that the game itself is already player two.

Kaimega
02-07-2014, 04:16 PM
I don't mind OUYA providing them for others but I agree and doubt I would use them. I never have before because my social feature has always been another controller. I enjoy playing with other people like you can on Meltdown but if I needed to communicate with someone I could already do that here or in some other fashion online. If I could talk to people on the OUYA then that is kind of like a phone call. It would somewhat feed the idea that the OUYA is a phone without a screen. The biggest social feature I crave is with the game itself. I want games with good AI. I appreciate games that seem to be thinking. I know it can't be done on the OUYA or any console at all yet but ideally I would want a game to actually want to win and be so intelligent that the game itself is already player two.

I agree with this. I too have no use for social features though. The fact you can play online with people at all is enough for me.

Killswitch: Go find some local friends! :D Go meet a new friend in a pub, drink with them.. take them home.. duct tape them to the chair.. and play OUYA.

Killswitch
02-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I agree with this. I too have no use for social features though. The fact you can play online with people at all is enough for me.

Killswitch: Go find some local friends! :D Go meet a new friend in a pub, drink with them.. take them home.. duct tape them to the chair.. and play OUYA.

No. That's like trying to find a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife at a bar...people still do it for some dumb reason, doesn't mean you should
And I hate people, that's what the internet is for. I can find a bunch of weirdos like you who I find alright :p
Who wants to go through all that, then explain the Ouya and have to rinse, wash, recycle...

Don't know why social features gets lumped in with instant messaging and all that. By ignoring MOST of the market you cut the market you have.
People these days live further and further from city areas, not as easy to include people in your life. Especially when you normally work 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week and the only thing you want to do when the day is over is go home. That's why I have my bigger project which is on hold for implementation of a system or the people who were helping out to finish their current projects.

Blah...stop making me rant.

Kaimega
02-07-2014, 05:53 PM
No. That's like trying to find a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife at a bar...people still do it for some dumb reason, doesn't mean you should
And I hate people, that's what the internet is for. I can find a bunch of weirdos like you who I find alright :p
Who wants to go through all that, then explain the Ouya and have to rinse, wash, recycle...

Don't know why social features gets lumped in with instant messaging and all that. By ignoring MOST of the market you cut the market you have.
People these days live further and further from city areas, not as easy to include people in your life. Especially when you normally work 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week and the only thing you want to do when the day is over is go home. That's why I have my bigger project which is on hold for implementation of a system or the people who were helping out to finish their current projects.

Blah...stop making me rant.

An explanation isn't a rant, and that is a fine point. I don't mind playing online and if social features help that is great. I personally don't care for em as I don't care for any social features on any other console :) that is me though.

Killswitch
02-07-2014, 06:08 PM
An explanation isn't a rant, and that is a fine point. I don't mind playing online and if social features help that is great. I personally don't care for em as I don't care for any social features on any other console :) that is me though.

Ok...cut Kai off the list of people I'd give a beatdown in some multiplayer :p

Red Mage
02-08-2014, 05:22 AM
Push Tegra 3
Probably not necessary. If developer demand more horsepower, the Ouya team might allow developers to overclock the chip but power doesn't seem to be an issue as much as just a total lack of interest on the developers part. The Ouya team has got to work a ton harder with marketing the console to the public in order to entice developers to come and play in their pond.

Social Features
Friends list and message system. Being to be able to see what friends are online and be able to message them to set up a multiplayer game should be standard with any console with online connectivity. No need news feeds of what games your friends played earlier in the day or just bought on the online store. Most important is to offer privacy option to make your account hidden online if you don't want to be bothered with game requests from your friends.

Second Screen Experience
Probably not worth the effort at the current time. Dual screen gameplay works with the 3DS and Wii U because the 2nd screen device is already included. Developers have to make the effort to make the companion app compatible with multiple different devices. The amount of work required in contrast to the potential amount of sales/revenue probably doesn't justify the effort.

Alternate Control Styles
Is it possible to hook up a wiimote to the Ouya for the same type of experience as it would be on the Wii? The sensor bar port on the Wii is a proprietary connector as far as I know so I'm not sure how it to do that. Even so, probably not worth the effort. Sure, wiimotes are common as dirt but the Ouya didn't come packaged with a wiimote. Making a game focusing on motion control device not even included doesn't make sense when its userbase is as limited as it currently is. It's probably in the best interest of developers to just try and make best with the standard Ouya controller. With that said, I would like to see a genuine effort to use the wiimote in a novel way.

Account Control
A universal Ouya account similar to PSN that can be registered to 2 or 3 Ouya devices at once would be great.

Google Play Games
Not going to happen. Discover is Ouya's bread and butter. Unless Ouya works a deal with Google to get a % of game sales bought from Google Play on an Ouya console, it doesn't make sense for Ouya to work on any Google Play functionality on its console.

Honestly, the biggest thing Ouya can do for its console in 2014 is: marketing, marketing, marketing! I have not seen a single Ouya ad any online gaming website. The console has no presence on any major gaming review site like IGN and Gamespot. How they expect to sell consoles and attract developers if the public is pretty much ignorant of the consoles existence? They have to increase public awareness in their console if they want to continue much further especially if they intend to have any success with an Ouya 2.0. Ouya had their day in the sun with the Kickstarter success but that time has long passed. Times up, 2014 is sink or swim and I'd like to see the system achieve modest success but time will tell if Ouya will rise to the challenge.

marcimir
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
I'd like to have the possibility to connect external USB CD/DVD drive?

Nitrogen_Widget
02-10-2014, 10:06 PM
All you need to use a wii mote on a PC is bluetooth & an infrared light bar like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Nextronics-Sensor-Bar-USB-Nintendo-Wii/product-reviews/B001UAAX60

However, I bought some infrared LEDS & have been toying with making my own bar.
It's actually pretty easy to put it together.
It's the butchering of a USB cable & figuring out voltages so I don't let the blue smoke out of the LED's that has it on my "to do" list.

There are some apps for wii motes available on android also.
I might just hobble it together for the OUYA since I have a few spare wii-motes.

Schizophretard
02-11-2014, 02:22 AM
I don't see the point of Wii's motion controls when there currently aren't any games that need it but there are ones that can use something like this (http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/15/pongle-paddle-controller-concept-for-wii/). :D

Nitrogen_Widget
02-11-2014, 03:56 AM
I don't see the point of Wii's motion controls when there currently aren't any games that need it but there are ones that can use something like this (http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/15/pongle-paddle-controller-concept-for-wii/). :D

I'ma closet angry birds player. I know, the shame. I think a wiimote would make for a good controller for that gAme. Also, I'd imagine using a Wii note instead of the touchpad to move the curser might be easier.

Schizophretard
02-11-2014, 04:24 AM
I'ma closet angry birds player. I know, the shame. I think a wiimote would make for a good controller for that gAme. Also, I'd imagine using a Wii note instead of the touchpad to move the curser might be easier.

Angry Birds isn't on the system but paddle games are. Some racing games or vertical shooters could use it too. I'm an out of the closet paddle controller fan.:) I can kind of see the issue with the cursor but I don't see a need for a new controller for it. They can just have an update for it to work with the thumb sticks if the cursor is on the screen or something like that. Or someone can just plug in a mouse. Or maybe even an air mouse.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Angry Birds isn't on the system but paddle games are. Some racing games or vertical shooters could use it too. I'm an out of the closet paddle controller fan.:) I can kind of see the issue with the cursor but I don't see a need for a new controller for it. They can just have an update for it to work with the thumb sticks if the cursor is on the screen or something like that. Or someone can just plug in a mouse. Or maybe even an air mouse.

But, with a little work you can use a wiimote as a light gun on emulators & as a steering wheel for driving games.
At least, on the PC for sure.

There are a few android apps that will recognize motion on wiimotes also i'm looking at.

jlibster
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
I'd held back from buying anything from Ouya given the "activation require" either with a Ouya "gift card", CC, or Amazon account, but let me get this straight: You buy a game for Ouya, your account disappears for some reason (hackers, database corruption, who knows..) and you have you ZERO access to your games??!? Even if they are stored on a USB Storage device attached? That kind of DRM is exactly what most of us want to AVOID. You don't really own the games unless you can move them and transfer them to any hardware console you want. I guess the people who suggested locking the games to the console work for Ouya:What real owner in their right mind wouldn't want the ability to move their games anywhere they wished as they are legally purchased?. Who asks for restrictive DRM in the real world? The answer to this is simple: Games should be able to be transferred to any attached USB device to the Ouya. Take out this very restrictive DRM. In fact ,I recall people asking about this very question on the Kickstarter campaign. (does this mean another promise broken from Kickstarter?...there is already a list...)

Schizophretard
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
But, with a little work you can use a wiimote as a light gun on emulators & as a steering wheel for driving games.
At least, on the PC for sure.

There are a few android apps that will recognize motion on wiimotes also i'm looking at.

Then developers are already supporting it. I haven't used any of Discovers emulators yet but do they support adapters for paddles for paddle games or to use paddles for spinners or driving controllers on games that used them? If not then paddle controls are less supported. Anyway, the reason I brought up the Wii Pongle is because there aren't modern paddle controllers other than maybe the one made for Arkanoid DS. There is modern hardware for other types of controls but modern paddles are lacking. There are games on Discover that are paddle games but have none to use. Emulators could use them too. So, one of the goals for the list that I would like to add is for OUYA to release a paddle/driving controller combo similar to the Pongle.

I'd held back from buying anything from Ouya given the "activation require" either with a Ouya "gift card", CC, or Amazon account, but let me get this straight: You buy a game for Ouya, your account disappears for some reason (hackers, database corruption, who knows..) and you have you ZERO access to your games??!? Even if they are stored on a USB Storage device attached? That kind of DRM is exactly what most of us want to AVOID. You don't really own the games unless you can move them and transfer them to any hardware console you want. I guess the people who suggested locking the games to the console work for Ouya:What real owner in their right mind wouldn't want the ability to move their games anywhere they wished as they are legally purchased?. Who asks for restrictive DRM in the real world? The answer to this is simple: Games should be able to be transferred to any attached USB device to the Ouya. Take out this very restrictive DRM. In fact ,I recall people asking about this very question on the Kickstarter campaign. (does this mean another promise broken from Kickstarter?...there is already a list...)

External storage is still in beta. In the update notes when it was put into open beta it said:

Games on external storage are currently associated with the OUYA they were downloaded from (so you can’t use the storage to transfer a game from one OUYA to another. Sorry!).

It says,"Currently." and they said,"Sorry!". To me that indicates that they recognize it as an issue and what it currently is like is not the final implementation. It wouldn't make sense for it to be because one of the main reasons external storage was needed was so that save data isn't lost. Some of it was because of the inconvenience of shuffling games by removing and downloading others but a bigger part of it was save data and I believe when external storage is out of beta this issue will be solved. It would have to be because otherwise people will have to have an OUYA 1.0 and 2.0 hooked up at the same time then eventually 3.0,4.0,5.0, etc. It just won't work without the ability to transfer games and backwards compatibility would be pointless without it.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-12-2014, 02:50 AM
Then developers are already supporting it. I haven't used any of Discovers emulators yet but do they support adapters for paddles for paddle games or to use paddles for spinners or driving controllers on games that used them? If not then paddle controls are less supported. Anyway, the reason I brought up the Wii Pongle is because there aren't modern paddle controllers other than maybe the one made for Arkanoid DS. There is modern hardware for other types of controls but modern paddles are lacking. There are games on Discover that are paddle games but have none to use. Emulators could use them too. So, one of the goals for the list that I would like to add is for OUYA to release a paddle/driving controller combo similar to the Pongle.

Just pulled this out of my basement.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/d7/27/bc83e03ae7a0a4ffcc3ef110.L.jpg

Uses the old 15 pin soundcard connector.
But they sell 15pin to usb adaptors that work with PS3.

so now i'm curious if this would work with an adaptor.

Schizophretard
02-12-2014, 03:16 AM

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/d7/27/bc83e03ae7a0a4ffcc3ef110.L.jpg

Uses the old 15 pin soundcard connector.
But they sell 15pin to usb adaptors that work with PS3.

so now i'm curious if this would work with an adaptor.

Does it have the self centering action similar to the PlayStation controller that was similar to that or does it move freely like a paddle?

Jon_TWR
02-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Now you've got me thinking about the Atari 2600 paddle controllers vs driving controllers. And thinking how other driving controllers (even the MS force feedback wheel) would be better if you could turn them a lot farther, like the atari driving controllers, which spun infinitely.

Sluup
02-12-2014, 03:34 AM

lol I bought mine at Dollar Tree forever years ago.

http://imageshack.com/a/img560/497/be6f.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img827/3046/ymrp.jpg
I wished I had an adapter to try this out. I literally used it 3 times before boxing it back up. Didn't really feel for it.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Does it have the self centering action similar to the PlayStation controller that was similar to that or does it move freely like a paddle?

Self centering.

lol I bought mine at Dollar Tree forever years ago.

I wished I had an adapter to try this out. I literally used it 3 times before boxing it back up. Didn't really feel for it.

I used mine for test drive.
The original. LOL!

I also pulled this out of the same box.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71XEXGYBPSL.gif

and I have a few of these I used for Madden back in the day.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Sidewinder_gamepad.jpg

and two of these we actually still use on the HTPC.
http://images.geeksimages.com/imageshare/9/300x300/963233-0403-R-unit.jpg

I bought the logitech years ago and never used them for some reason, forgot about them then found them still in the box a year ago. LOL!

LightyKD
02-13-2014, 02:15 AM

YUP! It is a major issue I have with the OUYA and if OUYA Inc refuses to change this then hackers should jump in.

- for all of you saying that OUYA Inc. will never touch Google Play...I NEVER CALLED FOR OUYA INC TO ADD GOOGLE PLAY SUPPORT. READ THE DAMN THREAD TITLE! I dont mean to sound mean but the list of suggestions and goals are for all members of the community. The Google Play part was specifically aimed at hackers and side loaders. I would never want OUYA Inc. to jeopardize Discover by putting their own internal efforts into a rival store.

Saracen26
02-13-2014, 08:39 AM
http://images.geeksimages.com/imageshare/9/300x300/963233-0403-R-unit.jpg

I bought the logitech years ago and never used them for some reason, forgot about them then found them still in the box a year ago. LOL!

Crikey this pad was awful. I bought one a good 14-15 years ago. The sticks as well as the throttle slider was made of a very weak plastic. Took only a few months before the left stick pretty much snapped off. People complain about the OUYA's D-Pad. The D-pad on this thing never really worked and makes the OUYA's feel like the best ever!

Not only that. Despite changing the settings it still had a rumble that could measure on the Richter scale! :biggrin-new:

LightyKD
02-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Here is a thought.

"Where is the rumble support?"

I know that the native OUYA controller does not support rumble but I'm surprised that nobody else is adding it to the games that are PS?360 controller supported.

mmartino
02-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Here is a thought.

"Where is the rumble support?"

I know that the native OUYA controller does not support rumble but I'm surprised that nobody else is adding it to the games that are PS?360 controller supported.

Really? Most devs have to be asked to add PS/360 support. Only makes sense to me that they wouldn't add "rumble".

Nitrogen_Widget
02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Crikey this pad was awful. I bought one a good 14-15 years ago. The sticks as well as the throttle slider was made of a very weak plastic. Took only a few months before the left stick pretty much snapped off. People complain about the OUYA's D-Pad. The D-pad on this thing never really worked and makes the OUYA's feel like the best ever!

Not only that. Despite changing the settings it still had a rumble that could measure on the Richter scale! :biggrin-new:

We use it for emulators now but the the thumbsticks always pop off.
Havn't had any issues with control but, yes the rumble pad did shake my fillings loose if I remember correctly. :)

mwaterbu
02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
I have several features I would like to see on OUYA this year!

First, hardware/software fixes:
-I realize this is not possible with the current console out there, but please for new versions can we have an ESD safe case? The aluminum case looks great, but if I walk across my carpet to go plug in something to the OUYA's USB port, I got a small shock for static, and the whole screen on my TV flashes because the hardware does not handle ESD well. This is not safe for the internal electronics, especially if it causes the display to flash like this.
-Fix OUYA roulette. Sometimes it shows up twice in the "Play" listing, at the beginning and end, other times, it only shows up at the beginning. I din't believe it should ever appear twice in the games list like this. Also, the action labels for OUYA Roulette do not match its functionality (view details/play).
-Fix USB hub support. Currently USB hubs work, but only after restarting the console with one plugged in. This is not so bad, but many times when putting the console to sleep with a hub plugged in, the hub will cause the console to crash, and the OUYA must be unplugged and restarted to work again. Allowing hot swapping a USB hub should be a feature.
-Fix wireless XBOX 360 controller support. Many times, plugging in the controller receiver does not work correctly, and the console must be restarted to work properly with the controllers.

The XBOX 360 controller leads me to my next point, which is more of a feature than bugfix, but the OUYA API should really support all input methods, device agnostic, so that every single developer does not need to add support for all types of controllers in their games. This leads to lacking or improper support for 3rd party controllers, and a frustrating experience for the user. For instance, Killing Floor: Calamity does not work with XBOX 360 controllers properly, so I am unable to play this game with friends since I only have one OUYA controller. Instead, if there was a single API section for input, all controllers that OUYA supports could easily work with any game. This discussion also talks about what I am requesting: http://goo.gl/KagwjU

Other changes/features:
-When the console is put in low power mode from the home screen, I think it would be better if the system menu closed. I can see why this should stay up if it is put into low power mode from in a game, but at the home screen, when you turn on the console, being greeted with the system menu doesn't make a lot of sense.
-Add a controller manager to identify controllers and switch controller numbers (player 1 <-> player 2, etc.)
-Add support for more than 4 controllers. Right now, more than 4 can be connected, but there is no official support.
-Add controller test/remap support. It would be great to check if all of the buttons are working properly. Also with 3rd party controllers, remapping would allow them to behave more as the user desires.
-Add game specific overscan settings. It would be good to use this only with games that are not working right, instead of with every game or none at all. For instance, I have purchased Meltdown and Killing Floor, and both have overscan issues. However, I also have Minigore 2, which properly corrects overscan and would not need this correction.
-Add an auto update feature for all games.
-Lastly, I would like to be able to sort the games in the "Play" menu. At times it is hard to find a game you are looking for if there are so many listed. Sorting them into user defined categories, such as multiplayer games, dual stick shooters, arcades, etc. would be very useful.

Add Controller Support:
-Support x-arcade arcade sticks. I think these can currently be used, but only with an XBOX 360 adapter. I would love to play some of OUYA's arcade style games on a real arcade controller!
-Support FLIRC for remote controllers.
-Support more USB controllers
-Support original XBOX controllers
-Support lightgun controllers?

mmartino
02-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Just thought of this. With older systems that were "Open" one of the most common things they would give hobbyists was the circuit board diagram! With my old commodore 64 I still have it. This would help a lot of hackers so they do not have to test and guess about what parts are doing what. Idk I don't hack my Ouya much but if I did, this would help!

Jethro
02-22-2014, 10:14 AM
OUYA XBMC + Powered USB Hub + Mele F10 Pro = Awesome

-OUYA1
-Cheap Bluetooth Remote (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TomTom-GO-500-510-700-710-910-Car-GPS-REMOTE-CONTROL-tom-bluetooth-accessory-/330973821203?_trksid=p2054897.l4276)
-No Controller
-No CC Crap
--------------
$70 = XBMC and Cheaper than Roku 2

Kuesco
04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I only want better control support specially for side loaded games. But not for Wiimotes, they belong to the Wii, But what about native emulation for MOGA (cuz is growing)? And configurable HID? Tilt controls? all this could be implemented at root level simulating fake hardware and embedded drivers. I like the OUYA controllers but some games áre not made that way. I know, its only about control but i like it, like it, yes i do!!!

timmytot666
06-14-2014, 03:29 PM
The tegra 3 in our device is already overclocked from 1.6ghz to 1.9ghz across all cores. The overclocking app you're talking about will give you increased performance at the expense of the longevity of your device.

As for "realistic" looking games I feel like we're currently pushing this line. They may not look real but Broken Age, Whispering Willows, Shadowgun, and Farrah Rogue have all set an amazing standard for quality of graphics and effects that I don't feel like this is really an issue.

Social features are currently being worked on. So far teamspeak is on board and is actively working with team ouya to put out a voice app that we can use with bluetooth headsets. The messenger is a secondary concern for me as I don't like people so don't need a reason to chat. But with voice chat you can do tactical commands for games that need them or just to chat with friends while trashing some meltdown.

2nd screen is working right now with Bombsquad as far as I know because the dev made the connection model himself to use bluetooth, Muffin knight also has a "companion" app where you can play from a tablet with the person on screen. Youtube allows you to "connect" your phone or laptop to browse and play videos. XBMC works over UPNP with any other XBMC on the network to do screen sharing for music or videos. Bombsquad is really responsive where as muffin knight is really hit and miss even on a wireless connection. I dunno I don't really like using my phone when I can use my controller.

I don't think they can officially use the wii motes wireless without making some sort of interpreter that can log motion controls. As well you'd need the UV bar that comes with it to accurately track info and send it to the ouya which the bar is almost as big as the ouya itself so it seems kinda silly in my opinion at least.

Right now if you buy a 2nd ouya (or 3rd or 4th in some people's cases) you can sign into your account and share the bought games across multiple Ouyas like I have. I dunno what you mean by your account goes "south" but if you did something to break the terms and conditions then they don't owe you anything lol. I'd suggest installing a custom rom to use it as a standard android device or create another account and don't do whatever you did before to get banned lol.

They're never gonna work with Google for things like that. I feel like they will never get Skype because Microsoft owns it now. They can't just add in the gameplay stuff from google play without paying them. Thats what the whole going back and forth about whether or not to get google play was about. They'll have to pay to have it on their console. There are ways to root and install whatever necessary frameworks you need from most of the G.apps collections (after 3.8) so you can sing into your multiplayer.

I will be glad if they never include google play because thats not what this box is lol. Thats why we can mod it to put google play on it and whatever other API they use. Cause its open and if they were to make a deal with google it would close off as many walls as google can get away with.

Just my 2 cents.