PDA

View Full Version : Can i capture the games to upload to youtube withouth game capture device?

Cristian Lorenz
01-06-2013, 06:35 AM
ey guys!
hello, im from argentina and i have a question. i am a youtube uploader(gamer) and i want that console to upload videos....so...
like the tittle says...
Can i capture the games to upload to youtube withouth game capture device?

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH... AND GREETINGS FROM ARGENTINA.!

James Andrew Coote
01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't think so. I just bought a capture device myself.

I tried making a system to record video from an android device before. The problem is that frames come faster than you can write them to SDCard memory just using android sdk / software alone. There are a few apps out there for recording video off an android device, but I doubt any will be officially on the Ouya store, so you'd have to root the Ouya, meaning you then could not download any games from the Ouya store (as rooting blocks the store). Also those other apps have really poor frame rates. Certainly not good enough for youtube

Cristian Lorenz
01-10-2013, 09:46 PM
YES... maybe i will need a game capture device, right?

SamJ
01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
I really want the Elgato Game Capture HD! Looks the best. Plus you can use it to record your PC gaming as well :)

Cristian Lorenz
01-11-2013, 12:28 AM
BUT IS too expensive for me U_U hehehehe....

SamJ
01-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Well you can always record your tv with your phone's camera.... Everyone loves watching videos on youtube done like that..... :watermelon::tongue-new::stupid::applause::miserable::sorrow::frown-new::confusion::eek:

Jack_Mcslay
01-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Some TVs have a built-in ability to record footage, you might be able to record it on an external HD and then open it on your computer if it's able to recognize the filesystem/video format the TV records in. Also, you could try emulating the game as an Intel Atom processor instead of ARM and record it from that.

Cristian Lorenz
01-13-2013, 05:15 AM
i hear that ubuntu with "mithtv" can do that. Or... i have a samsung galaxy s2 with 8mp camera, not bad... maybe i will record with the phone xD!!! very good quality but is not a game capture device heheheheh

damien
01-20-2013, 09:08 AM
there is an app (for root-users) wich can catupre the screen (screencast) but it autor says that it don't support tegra-hardware

d_brennen
01-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Well you can always record your tv with your phone's camera.... Everyone loves watching videos on youtube done like that..... :watermelon::tongue-new::stupid::applause::miserable::sorrow::frown-new::confusion::eek:

I don't get YouTubers, I posted a few gameplay videos of my laptop, which is fairly mid/low end but at the time it was the only one in the country as far as I could see so I guessed a few would be interested. Capturing with FRAPS or Afterburner caused lots of slowdown (due to the crappy 5400RPM drive I think, 1.5GB/min recording) so I recorded with my phone showing the frame rate icon. I'm no Spielberg I admit and even put in the tread title *shaky iPhone video warning* but still they herp a derp

I'd prefer to see how it actually plays, than see choppy recordings

Animan
02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I'd honestly suggest trying the "camera-pointed-at-tv" technique anyways. If you point the camera directly in front of the TV (not at an angle) and play around with the settings on your camera, you can actually get a decent image. It won't be perfect quality, but the smooth frame-rate will probably make up for it.

Here's a video we did for Wrecking Balls Arena that was done doing this, and those I've shown it to say it looks just fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ix3dy2MJr0

zeha
03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
maybe some people here with capture devices could offer a "I will play your game and capture some footage for you" service :D

zelex
03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I have a capture device, and while I don't have infinite time I can help out with a few.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

shifu
03-12-2013, 12:53 AM
[...] you'd have to root the Ouya, meaning you then could not download any games from the Ouya store (as rooting blocks the store).

sry for OT, but why is that, when they openly enable and encourage rooting to user via promising and instructions?

Tim
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Hate to push an old thread up but has anyone found a solution for this problem? TotalOuya confirmed yesterday that OUYA has HDCP enabled on everything, which renders even capturing with Elgato and others useless. That is unless you have an dvi -> hdmi splitter which usually costs around 50€.

Is there any other way than using a splitter with an external capturing card?

CaptainCapslock
06-03-2013, 09:06 PM
You can record just fine using the Elgato Game Capture. Dreamzle (who has the Elgato) has confirmed this for me over a Private Message.
It seems like we're in luck, Tim. I'll be getting my Ouya and Elgato soon myself, so I'm glad that Dreamzle could clear out these speculations for us :)

macharborguy
06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I really want the Elgato Game Capture HD! Looks the best. Plus you can use it to record your PC gaming as well :)

I have the GameCapture HD, and while it is a great little device, it can be limiting in some cases. For one, it doesn't have native video output, and you need to use software that specifically supports it (GameCapture HD software, XSplit, Open broadcaster).

Secondly, there can be noticeable lag when doing live capture for streaming (xsplit and open broadcaster) between the video and the audio (after a half hour record, i noticed quite a bit of audio drift, almost up to 3 seconds). This drift doesnt happen when I do a straight-to-disk record via Elgato's own software.

Third, depending on your graphics card, you may not be able to reliably get 1080P capture, and it is only at a maximum of 30fps. 720P and 1080i can do 60fps, but 1080i just looks nasty with all the interlacing.

Also, it has very specific devices that it supports. Even with proper AV cables, I have not been able to get my NES, SNES, Genesis, or other consoles pre-GameCube to work on it (devices with HDMI seem to work fine, but most Component and Composite based consoles just dont want to work, or work right).

I also find that using the GameCapture HD as the middle-man between your game-device and HDTV sometimes causes issues. It may be better to get an HDMI splitter (relatively inexpensive on Amazon), have one output go to the TV, and have the other go to the GameCapture.

The GameCapture, however, does output at maximum I think 25MegaBits/sec of video, so the quality you will get is great when everything is working right. Whenever I use it, I tend to set it to 720P 60fps.

CaptainCapslock
06-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks a lot for your review of the GameCapture HD, macharborguy!
Was nice hearing what we should consider before buying it.

I'm still pretty hooked on it, but just wondering why you would chose 720p 60 fps above 1080p 30 fps? Does it give a better output quality for you?

Tim
06-06-2013, 03:11 PM
You can record just fine using the Elgato Game Capture. Dreamzle (who has the Elgato) has confirmed this for me over a Private Message.
It seems like we're in luck, Tim. I'll be getting my Ouya and Elgato soon myself, so I'm glad that Dreamzle could clear out these speculations for us :)

Awesome! Thanks for clearing this up for us. I actually contacted Elgato about this matter, but haven't heard back from them. Still *Order for Elgato placed* :)