PDA

View Full Version : Tegra 5 - Now called Tegra K1 Announced

cthulhu
01-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Tegra 5 officially announced, named K1: http://blog.laptopmag.com/nvidia-tegrak1-unveiled

Victor Coleiro
01-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Nvidia have announced that the Tegra K1 (5) will be appearing in devices this year. It will initially come in 2 flavours :

a 32-bit option with a 2.3GHz "4-plus-1" A15 CPU and

a 64-bit unit with a 2.5GHz dual-coreDenver CPU

Here's some details they released:

192-core GPU based on the Kepler architecture
support for Unreal Engine 4 , OpenGL 4.4 and DirectX 11

Story here: -> http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/05/nvidia-tegra-5/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkJ5PupShfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg7BpcJQU-o

If you've got time to burn, here's the Nvidia CES presentation, a lot more video and details on it, you can probably skip the PC card bit

http://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/c/3503351

LightyKD
01-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Get ready for XBox 360 ports to hit Android!!!

Another K1 source here:

http://live.theverge.com/nvidia-ces-2014-press-event-live-blog/

undftdroar
01-06-2014, 08:17 AM
It's crazy how mobile gaming is catching up to the big consoles. I would love to see this in the next ouya, I doubt it but it would be cool.

flamepanther
01-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Madness? This... is... TEGRA!

ezraanderson
01-06-2014, 08:52 AM
~
That is awesome, I really enjoyed the first video.

cthulhu
01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
No doubt the K1 has a potent GPU but the idea than it offers comparable performance to the GPUs in the PS4 and Xbox One is silly.

It's crazy how mobile gaming is catching up to the big consoles. I would love to see this in the next ouya, I doubt it but it would be cool.

It could definitely happen.

Victor Coleiro
01-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Nvidia are saying devices with the Tegra 5 SOC will be out before the end of June.

RiotingSpectre
01-06-2014, 11:44 AM
I love this. Mostly because this chip is still nothing compared to Parker(Tegra 6) and yet it's still such a monster. Technology is a fascinating thing and I for one hope OUYA gets a Tegra K1 into their next console because it would make too much sense not to do it. Sure there's those obvious risks when you compare it to putting a Tegra 4 in there opposed to a Tegra K1 one, but in the grand scheme viewpoint I think the latter should be chosen.

flamepanther
01-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I love this. Mostly because this chip is still nothing compared to Parker(Tegra 6) and yet it's still such a monster. Technology is a fascinating thing and I for one hope OUYA gets a Tegra K1 into their next console because it would make too much sense not to do it. Sure there's those obvious risks when you compare it to putting a Tegra 4 in there opposed to a Tegra K1 one, but in the grand scheme viewpoint I think the latter should be chosen.

I think cost and availability will be the deciding factors in whether that happens.

cthulhu
01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
I think cost and availability will be the deciding factors in whether that happens.

Ouya may have an advantage regarding both of those things as Nvidia have an investment in them.

LightyKD
01-06-2014, 05:13 PM

I agree that it would also make too much sense to include K1 into the next OUYA. If that happens then get ready for those PS360 ports and that wouldn't be a bad thing because it allows for the larger developers to make money off their last gen titles and it allows for the OUYA to have those larger developers work with them more often. I skipped out on roughly 80% of the HD generation as my last gen console was proudly a Wii. I wouldn't mind exploring some of the titles I missed. The big issue now becomes space and hopefully by the release of OUYA 2, OUYA Inc. would have perfected their storage solution.

HeadClot
01-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I agree that it would also make too much sense to include K1 into the next OUYA. If that happens then get ready for those PS360 ports and that wouldn't be a bad thing because it allows for the larger developers to make money off their last gen titles and it allows for the OUYA to have those larger developers work with them more often. I skipped out on roughly 80% of the HD generation as my last gen console was proudly a Wii. I wouldn't mind exploring some of the titles I missed. The big issue now becomes space and hopefully by the release of OUYA 2, OUYA Inc. would have perfected their storage solution.

Personally I would love to see the OUYA have the K1 SoC powering it. :D

Outlander999
01-06-2014, 11:51 PM
X360 & PS3 left behind.

http://www.tomshw.it/files/2014/01/immagini_contenuti/52189/tegra-k1-01_t.jpg

Xbox One and PS4 are still better ( = more powerful), BUT for at last 5 years they will be the same, when mobile hardware will improve drastically.

Ouya can be on this way.
I hope Julie Uhrman will avoid Tegra4, mounting directly Tegra 5 (/K1) on Ouya2.

If they can't get a K1 on OUYA 2 with a final price at no more than 130 than they should just wait till next year before releasing the OUYA 2 and just go for K1 at a final of 99-110. In the end, it will be well worth the wait!

Victor Coleiro
01-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Another Demo of the K1, this time on a Nvidia Reference tablet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuvn0ToLA-Y

Athlor
01-09-2014, 08:11 AM
One thing you can count on, there will be a Tegra K1 game microconsole released this year. If Ouya doesn't do it, somebody else will. The specs are outstanding and perfect for a $249-$299 game console.

Nightfall
01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm skeptical of how they came up with the numbers in the chart a couple posts above me. Doesn't the PS3 have a more powerful processor than the 360, why does it say the other way around? So the K1 is 5600 what? What does it even mean? Some random arbitrary number to make it look good? I have a hard time believing it's actually almost 5 times faster than a PS3 CPU.

flamepanther
01-09-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm skeptical of how they came up with the numbers in the chart a couple posts above me. Doesn't the PS3 have a more powerful processor than the 360, why does it say the other way around? So the K1 is 5600 what? What does it even mean? Some random arbitrary number to make it look good? I have a hard time believing it's actually almost 5 times faster than a PS3 CPU.

Whatever unit of measurement they're using (gigaflops, it looks like?), the fine print says they're excluding the PS3's extra processing units.

Nightfall
01-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Whatever unit of measurement they're using (gigaflops, it looks like?), the fine print says they're excluding the PS3's extra processing units.
I don't know why I didn't see that down there. It even says the consoles are estimated +/- 20% (that is a huge margin ontop of being an estimated number to begin with) also like you said they intentionally left things out. So, really, that chart means nothing.

I have no doubts that it will be a big step in the right direction but their chart there is very misleading and to say it is going to be 4.6 times more powerful than the PS3 and 1.5 times more powerful than the 360 is nothing more than a lie with fine print saying it's a lie.

The videos are quite impressive! I'm ready for the Ouya 3! :)

Victor Coleiro
01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
I think the figures they released a while back were probably more accurate. They were toting that the T5 is about 10-20% faster than a PS3. So these new figures go against even their own earlier figures, probably due, as others have said, because of the exclusions.

flamepanther
01-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Generously fudged charts aside, I think it's fair to assume it's roughly comparable to 360 and PS3. Maybe a little better. Maybe a little worse.

Magnesus
01-09-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't think the charts are fake - PS3 had slow GPU but fast CPU. The charts show only GPU speed.
But it's Tegra, so expect a lot of hype and not that great package in the end. ;)

Athlor
01-09-2014, 08:13 PM
The 360 has more usable gflops. This is a fact acknowledged by many devs and evidently Nvidia. Yes, the PS3 had much higher theoretic gflops but it was never fully utilized in it's lifetime because it was extremely difficult to access. Nvidia's cpu horsepower formula is based on the PS3 being counted as a single core processor as most PS3 games were programmed for. The PS3's additional coprocessors (spus) weren't counted because they weren't used in most games.

Victor Coleiro
02-02-2014, 09:44 AM
NVIDIA Provides Open-Source Tegra K1 Support In Nouveau, didn't see that coming at all. A small step forward, it's a start.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU4OTg
http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/02/01/2320234/nvidia-open-sources-tegra-k1-graphics-support

Killswitch
02-02-2014, 10:55 AM
NVIDIA Provides Open-Source Tegra K1 Support In Nouveau, didn't see that coming at all.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU4OTg
http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/02/01/2320234/nvidia-open-sources-tegra-k1-graphics-support

Open source NVIDIA? Interesting....

Ultramon
02-25-2014, 01:42 AM
Perhapes a few people have already read the article, but here is the Nvidia Tegra K1 Performance Chart, non-the-less.

The Tegra K1 whitepaper states that: “A vast majority of Xbox 360 and PS3 titles could be easily ported to Tegra K1 (devices) with minimal effort, delivering similar visual quality and gameplay experience.”

Nvidia has claimed that the Tegra K1 is substantially more powerful than last-generation consoles and has trotted out charts like the following to prove it.
- (see pic below)

But, John Carmack [Dev/co founder id software] has stated that, ' Nvidia’s statements should be taken "with several grains of salt.” '

And it's sumed up that.. "Even if Tegra K1 can’t match older consoles altogether, it should still be able to come far closer than anything we’ve seen before."

K1 / Xbox360 / PS3 Peformance Comparison

[Info via ExtremeTech.com]

>> First time trying to insert images in posts, so hope I did it correctly.

ilurx
02-25-2014, 02:29 AM
GameCube/PS2/Xbox emulation on that will be epic. I wonder if the K2 would be able to handle Short Waves, the new PS3 emulator in the works... The K1 isn't out and I'm already speculating about the K2 lol.

Sluup
02-25-2014, 03:12 AM
GameCube/PS2/Xbox emulation on that will be epic. I wonder if the K2 would be able to handle Short Waves, the new PS3 emulator in the works... The K1 isn't out and I'm already speculating about the K2 lol.

PS3 emulator? No, no, no... I hope you mean PS2 emulator.
Xbox emulator????!!?!! Don't get your hopes up for that one, that is not happening. The current ones we have (for years now) emulates Halo poorly at best, and that's the only game it can emulate.

ilurx
02-25-2014, 03:39 AM
PS3 emulator? No, no, no... I hope you mean PS2 emulator.
Xbox emulator????!!?!! Don't get your hopes up for that one, that is not happening. The current ones we have (for years now) emulates Halo poorly at best, and that's the only game it can emulate.

So I set my expectations too high? lol. I'm at least expecting Dolphin to run fine, assuming that the emulator will keep getting support.

Sluup
02-25-2014, 04:59 AM
So I set my expectations too high? lol. I'm at least expecting Dolphin to run fine, assuming that the emulator will keep getting support.

Just a tad bit. The Gamecube emulator I understand since there is an alpha build of it already for Android, and the emulator is already doing really well on PCs. PS3's doesn't exist and Xbox is worthless, emulator-wise. Aside from those two emus, I do look forward to seeing the Gamecube port grow and see it on my Ouya.

ilurx
02-25-2014, 05:19 AM
Just a tad bit. The Gamecube emulator I understand since there is an alpha build of it already for Android, and the emulator is already doing really well on PCs. PS3's doesn't exist and Xbox is worthless, emulator-wise. Aside from those two emus, I do look forward to seeing the Gamecube port grow and see it on my Ouya.

There's a PS3 emulator out there called Short Waves. There's actually another one too, called PS3F... And an Xbox 360 emulator called Xenia. Those I'm not expecting to run well even on a NASA computer, they're early in development. At the speed of how mobile technology's growing, mobile chips should be able to have the potential to play them soon enough. Maybe not tegra K1 or K2, but K4 or K5 might do the PS3 magic lol.

I dunno if the OUYA has the plug-ins necessary for Dolphin, hopefully the K1 has them and hopefully OUYA chooses to go with that chip.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-26-2014, 05:12 PM

Super Mario Sunshine gamecube on dolphin is just playable on a 1.8 ghz core2duo with an amd radian 5460 video card on win 7. (older PC I setup for the kids)
There is a lot of sound stutter in the cut scenes but general game play is do-able at the lowest settings.

If anyone cared. LOL!

An Ouya that could run gamecube would be awesome.
I'm guessing a k1 can do it.

Sluup
02-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I didn't know about the PS3 emulator. :p

sorath72
07-04-2014, 12:37 AM
So when can we expect this on the new ouya console? I hope that they are just going to skip tegra 4 and go straight for tegra k1 as this is the future of console or should I say... PC gaming with the ouya console.

Victor Coleiro
07-04-2014, 01:57 AM
So when can we expect this on the new ouya console? I hope that they are just going to skip tegra 4 and go straight for tegra k1 as this is the future of console or should I say... PC gaming with the ouya console.

No one really knows, however, since Julie says they are still working on it now. I suspect not until towards the end of the year.

sconfig
07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
I was reading up the specs about the K1 chip. The major game-changer isn't necessarily speed when it comes to the K1 but compatibility. I was reading on Nvidias site that apparently this chip can do hard-float calculations and is in fact full OpenGL 4.0 compliant. It may not be FAST about doing the float calculations but it simply works. the GL<->GLES argument is the roadblock that prevents a lot of older games or games that were open sourced but never updated to be ported. That means conversion from games on the PC over to android would be a little easier as there is no need to re-write the core GL commands over to GLES to be compatible with phones. Conversion of Linux games and minimalistic PC games would go a lot smoother.

Granted it doesn't solve ALL of the problems with porting old games. Some of those games have a ridiculous amount of libraries and debugging to do prior to conversion.