PDA

View Full Version : Passport - a suggestion for portability

bornagainpenguin
01-04-2014, 03:17 PM
I was invited to a friends house for New Years, and I would like to take my Ouya with me as the host had suggested we bring games but since I didn't know if he would like everyone connecting to their wifi I didn't feel comfortable bringing a console that required Internet connectivity. Especially since the game that I wanted to show off was You Don't Know Jack, a game I've paid for to unlock the additional episodes but which only has one episode available in demo mode, the default mode when a lack of connectivity is detected. It's too bad because I really think that the game would have gone over well with that crowd.

There are a lot of games like this, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has felt limited because of the way Ouya games require a connection to unlock their full capabilities. So I was thinking about the issue and wondering how to make sure developers feel their work is secure while not needing to always be connected to the Internet. My suggestion is a sort of Passport for the user's paid apps:

Create an option on the system level that allows someone to hit a selection in the system menu which is named Passport, then the user's ownership is checked and a special kind of encrypted file created which the game can check against for a set time to verify ownership even without a connection to the Internet. So in my case as listed above I would have turned on the Ouya while still at my house, told it to create my Passport, waited while the system connected and created the passport file then powered down the unit, took it to the party and used it without any need for Internet that night (or however long it might be). Then later when I got back home and plugged it back in the passport would be deleted until the next time.

Thoughts?

flamepanther
01-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm sure many users would appreciate something like this. I'd love to hear from some of the game developers on this.

Killswitch
01-05-2014, 02:03 AM
You're walking into the DRM issue...

flamepanther
01-05-2014, 03:32 AM
You're walking into the DRM issue...

It's an issue, but it shouldn't be insurmountable. Apple and Microsoft both provide a method to authenticate all your downloaded movies and music while offline. If OUYA could do the same with their games, they'd actually have a huge advantage over Google Play. Currently, devs have the choice of always-online DRM, no DRM at all, or implementing their own DRM method.

Killswitch
01-05-2014, 03:46 AM
No not insurmountable...Easier if a way is provided so you don't have 32543 developers with 32425 different methods

Schizophretard
01-06-2014, 12:35 AM
It's an issue, but it shouldn't be insurmountable. Apple and Microsoft both provide a method to authenticate all your downloaded movies and music while offline. If OUYA could do the same with their games, they'd actually have a huge advantage over Google Play. Currently, devs have the choice of always-online DRM, no DRM at all, or implementing their own DRM method.

My issue is that it isn't their games but the developers'. Their only options for no DRM is free or sold for side loading and since I can't transfer any of my games on my external storage to my new white OUYA, I feel like they have no choice but DRM for those too. OUYA shouldn't choose how to protect "their" content but just open it up to allow the developers to choose and provide methods for the customers to know so we can choose which to buy. For being open, the OUYA's DRM doesn't seem very free market but they are regulating the market on both ends. This isn't an XBOX 180 but it can use a 180. We shouldn't have to give suggestions to OUYA about their DRM but give those suggestions to the developers. The OUYA itself should be DRM free as a default because that is a part of what open is and developers should choose how opened or closed their content is. The OUYA should be open so that free and open source software and non-free closed source proprietary software can compete and coexist in a free and open market.

bornagainpenguin
01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Look I'll admit that I'm not a programmer--I'm just a user whose had an occasional good idea or two and has been a geek well over a decade now. DRM? I hate it as much as you do but let's face it, it's not a battle that is going to be won on the OUYA. DRM became an inevitability immediately after the OUYA team announced that the games would all be free to play, because the only way to unlock is to have DRM to do so.

DRM is here. Probably to stay. Like it or hate it at least accept that it is here for now.

What I'm suggesting is for the OUYA team to make use of the system they already have in place to allow their DRM to benefit us too, not just the app\game developers. The developers already trust the OUYA's unlock mechanism to allow their games to be purchased, so it's not like it's some new onerous burden being imposed--we're just asking for a feature to be made where we get to work offline for periods of time and allow gameplay in situations where an internet connection is not possible.

Done right it actually makes the OUYA's DRM a selling point...

Killswitch
01-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Well I'd never say DRM and selling point together.
Have an idea but have to flesh it out and see if it's feasible.

bornagainpenguin
04-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Well I'd never say DRM and selling point together.
Have an idea but have to flesh it out and see if it's feasible.

I understand that, and personally I detest DRM with all my might--but realistically it's already here and it was inevitable once it was announced the OUYA would be free to try/play. This is just about making it work for us instead of against us.

As for selling point, well I think it really could work out to be if handled properly: To developers you just remind them this is using the already in a place mechanism and if the game or app uses this it's one less detail to implement. To users you highlight and emphasize the passport idea, and show that it just works. You set a passport flag, the OUYA sets it for the preset time and when they go to their friend's house the game or app works. Supposedly steam has something like this already but every time I see it mentioned some one complains it doesn't work. If OUYA can make it work it becomes something we have the other guys don't.

I look forward to seeing what you have when you flesh out your idea!

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2

Would have been nice to have this working today. At my Dad's place with my brother and his kids -- perfect time to break out the Ouya, right?

Except for the fact my Dad's internet is down, so all those games I paid for are stuck in demo mode. I can't image how screwed I'd be If I had those new games which come without any kind of demo at all!

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Ironsoul
04-09-2014, 11:20 PM
I'm done with always online or timed DRM. Recently I got a laptop which allows me to be away from my internet connection. Since then I've discovered a number of steam games that use always online DRM but don't make that aparent. Dark Souls for example.

I think I've made my stance clear on DRM in the other thread. DRM is not free or open and it's an insult to legitimate customers, making them do more work for less while illegitimate pirates get the game without those issues.