PDA

View Full Version : Guncraft for OUYA!

jordanrw8
12-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Hello all. A popular game for PC known as "Guncraft" may now be coming to OUYA with our support. What it's programmed in is compatible with Android so we can do it!
They already have controller support so guess what? it won't be hard! We need to show them our support. I'm in contact with a few of there community managers so I can spread the word quickly through them, so say what you think about it and lets get this on OUYA!

Hell yeah!

This is Guncraft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFRZ10BGL4E
You build your own gun out of blocks and set the stats and go to war on a multiplayer Team Deathmatch game in a huge world. You can also craft your own maps and defabs, etc. They said a while back they do own an OUYA Dev kit so lets get them working!

Last time someone suggested it they said that OUYA likely didn't have a large enough audience interested in this game(or something like that), lets show them who we are!

Hydrus
12-26-2013, 09:51 PM
That looks crazy! Helicopters and everything... I'm down for an online-multiplayer FPS game, I'm starving for one. This one looks neat.

Killswitch
12-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Looks good. They need to get to work.

Lunamaniac
12-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Sorry, I don't think I understand. Where do I throw my money?

TheZman
12-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi there - I'm Andy lead developer on Guncraft.

As I posted in our forums we have several Ouyas - we were kickstarter supporters but right now doing a Mono port takes time and therefore money that its hard to see a return on the investment.

Its great that there's a couple of you here that would buy it but the only sales figures released for Ouya software and hardware earlier in the year suggest that very few people are prepared to buy games on this platform. Ouya themselves don't really help - if there are indeed a lot of people buying hardware and software why are they not talking about it? Whats the conversion rate from downloads to paid? How many units are being used on a daily basis? How many are not owned by developers from the kickstarter.

If you guys want more games on the platform then the platform needs to be attractive to us as developers. Much as we love the idea its not great for business right now.

Saying that, we are looking at ports to other platforms but its very early days and we don't have any firm plans or announcements.

jordanrw8
12-26-2013, 10:52 PM
We got a reply from the developers, it's not very good I'm afraid :(
"I'd love to see some evidence of this 'loads of money'... the only public figures released back in July were not good and since then there's been nothing. If its worth developers getting on the platform Ouya are doing a terrible job of convincing us.

We do have a couple of Ouya's in the team - we were kickstarter supporters but honestly the scene compared to Steam and consoles is pretty dead.

We use c# and XNA which out of the box is not compatible with Android. But like Mac and Linux it is possible using Mono and Mono.Game and we hav been looking at those technologies for possible future ports. But its early days and we have nothing to announce.

We have talked to Ouya in the past... if they do want us on the platform they know our contact information."

Jake53
12-26-2013, 11:09 PM

As I posted in our forums we have several Ouyas - we were kickstarter supporters but right now doing a Mono port takes time and therefore money that its hard to see a return on the investment.

Its great that there's a couple of you here that would buy it but the only sales figures released for Ouya software and hardware earlier in the year suggest that very few people are prepared to buy games on this platform. Ouya themselves don't really help - if there are indeed a lot of people buying hardware and software why are they not talking about it? Whats the conversion rate from downloads to paid? How many units are being used on a daily basis? How many are not owned by developers from the kickstarter.

If you guys want more games on the platform then the platform needs to be attractive to us as developers. Much as we love the idea its not great for business right now.

Saying that, we are looking at ports to other platforms but its very early days and we don't have any firm plans or announcements.

I'm sure you have heard of murder miners considering how similar your games are. There is a murder miners thread somewhere in the upcoming games section that I'm sure somebody who is not on mobile will link you to. There was quite a bit of demand back then for murder miners... I believe an ouyaforum member even went as far as to send the dev an ouya because he wanted it on ouya so badly. There are quite a few (I believe it's around 50) members who said they would purchase that game.

I understand that you've seen some sales figures that say that ouya owners are unlikely to buy games. Please consider that the online multiplayer games on ouya are currently lacking. There is also just one quality first person shooter on ouya so you should adjust your view point to include the simple fact that your game will not have very much competition in not only shooters but also in online multiplayer on ouya.

Let me be one of the first in your thread to say that I too would purchase your game, and I look forward to your responce.

Killswitch
12-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Assume you're looking for this thread.
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3779-Potentially-Upcoming-Murder-Miners&highlight=miners

Lunamaniac
12-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Assume you're looking for this thread.
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3779-Potentially-Upcoming-Murder-Miners&highlight=miners

Kudos to them, but in my honest opinion Guncraft looks way better. I feel like it's an aesthetically perfect fit for the ouya too :)

I honestly think there is a terribly low standard of games on the OUYA. It's a big problem.

I think the sales to downloads rate reflects this, as most games are bad most people don't buy them. Serious developers are put off and when they do release games for the system they are often just shoddy ports which people don't want to buy leading to a vicious circle.

I'm curious to see how well Meltdown has sold, they did a really good job and with luck their sales have reflected that. They've certainly been receiving heavy praise on the forums, though at this stage I can't speak for how good a commercial investment it was financially.

I also think the early statistics on ouya sales are weighted by the large number of people who bought ouyas with no idea as to what they were supposed to do. I think it's really worth keeping the possibility in mind.

Also a lot of the better games are actually over generous with their free to play content in my opinion, if you do decide to port your game over (and I REALLY hope you do) please feel free to make the free portion as tiny and restrictive as you like.

Kaimega
12-27-2013, 12:00 AM

As many others have said, it is a vicious circle. The Ouya is still starting out as well, and we all know there is no such thing as an instant success, especially for a small company. The the listed sales numbers are old as you mentioned ("earlier this year"), and they came out relatively around the time the Ouya itself came out.

Many developers have said that it isn't great for business, or there is not enough people, etc. They fail to remember, though, that Rome wasn't built in a day. Tripwire Interactive brought Killing Floor Calamity on Ouya as an exclusive, taking that risk. Others developers have brought subpar, unoptimized ports of games and wonder why they aren't making alot of money off of it. Then games like Polarity, Towerfall and Hipster Zombies release their games for Ouya first and make a ton of cash (not sure of Polarity, but Towerfall made strong sales numbers, and Hipster Zombies made more here than on any other app store).

Strong titles are what Ouya needs, and strong titles are what gamers want. What shows is that there is a number of people that bought this solely for emulation/XBMC, and they have tried some games from the store, enjoyed and bought them.

It also seems to be you are comparing something that is still just starting out with something that has been around for a number of years and has obtained a very good reputation in those said years. To put some perspective onto it:

- Steam's success wasn't instant, it took them years to develop a solid indie base and bring people to them. A number of people loved valves games, but opening it to others after quite some time is what made them highly successful. The people who are wanting the steambox are loyal fans who would buy anything valve made on a dime. those fans were made due to years of driving their product.

- Sony's Playstation was successful due to Sony already being a multimillion(billion?) dollar company with a killer marketing department. They could make people buy a paper bag for $400 if they really wanted to.

- Microsoft's Xbox was originally perceived as a PC in a box, and many felt why have that when you have an actual PC that plays all these games already? (sound familiar? *cough* ouya & phones *cough*). Microsoft built the Xbox to what it was today thanks to the deals they had with short term exclusivity (games like Halo.. the exclusive was 15 days, but 15 days can make an impact) and now the brand is one of the top video game brands to get.

- Ouya had a kickstarter last year. And Fully released their devices June 25 and many people didn't buy till July (payday, whatever.). The only people who had them before hand were kickstarter backers. The reviewers gave the kickstarter BETA version of it a bad rap. Those same reviewers have also put as much as they can about Ouya into a negative light (sales, free the games, etc), and while some give ouya the credit they deserves, both positive and negative, others simply bash it for the sake of it. Companies released rushed ports to the product during the kickstarter period (and NOT release) and wondered why they weren't getting the amount of sales they highly expected. It is Now December, not even 6 months yet since the official product has been released. Now we have seen polished ports (the Cave, Flashout, Meltdown, The Bard's Tale, Choplifter HD) and exclusive games (Killing Floor: Calamity, Poliarity (short-term), Amazing Frog, Fist of Awesome).

Basically, Things take time to develop, in every sense of the word. Especially in a world so resistant to change. But it takes everyone, not just the company, but developers, reviewers, and gamers to help build the product, just like it takes everyone to destroy it.

Jakenut86
12-27-2013, 12:43 AM
I'd buy guncraft on OUYA

Killswitch
12-27-2013, 12:55 AM
2 Jakes = Guncraft on Ouya :)

It's all how you want to look at it.

If people are looking to get rich on Ouya, not going to happen at this juncture in time. Which most people will agree on.

But if you believed enough to be backers then shouldn't you believe enough to put a game on it?

Ouya lacks quality games so numbers for the Ouya are kind of skewed. You also have 'my first game' projects and lazy ports.

Some developers offset costs with ports to other platforms or they're on others already.

It's how you want to look at it.

undftdroar
12-27-2013, 01:03 AM
This game looks like lots of fun, I would definitely purchase this game or any other fun game that offers online multiplayer.

Warzard
12-27-2013, 01:09 AM
It is still very early in the life of the OUYA, but I think they will need to emulate two very successful companies to get where they want to be.

First they need to have some exclusive IPs and developers like Nintendo has. They don't have to be like Mario or Zelda, but exclusive like Halo on XBOX or Infamous on PlayStation. But games only on OUYA. Remember, Naughty Dog made Way of the Warrior before the made Crash and Bungie was a virtual unknown before Halo. With money, time and a little direction, an amazing IP could be fostered.

Next they need to be like Apple and blitz the education system with OUYAs for programming classes, everything from grade schools to adult education and college. From the Apple IIe to the first MACs, they were all over schools and computer classes from the 70's till now. With the OUYA being so cheap and a dev kit, it only makes sense to aggressively push the OUYA as a way to learn programing on a powerful platform that can be a stepping stone to game development on a larger scale.

Cheese_king
12-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Ouya needs more quality games before the numbers get 'real' please provide us with one.

takedownmak
12-27-2013, 11:08 AM
the OUYA is on the rise mark my words!!!!!!
and count me down i would buy this game instantly and so would alot of other ouya owners

thezman Please support the ouya. If you do u will go down as an ouya legend :)

Magler
12-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Damn that they don't want our money! :( I would definitely buy this!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

derty
12-27-2013, 07:13 PM
This game looks like a lot of fun haha :)

RoyJay
12-27-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd buy it

darth2d2
12-27-2013, 08:49 PM

It's all how you want to look at it.

If people are looking to get rich on Ouya, not going to happen at this juncture in time. Which most people will agree on.

But if you believed enough to be backers then shouldn't you believe enough to put a game on it?

Ouya lacks quality games so numbers for the Ouya are kind of skewed. You also have 'my first game' projects and lazy ports.

Some developers offset costs with ports to other platforms or they're on others already.

I think this chicken before the egg myth is just a misnomer created by people without investment sense. When you have the chance to monopolize a market because it is so small, your speculative ROI is the highest it will ever be.

For example, when Lord British developed Ultima Online, there was this code that would cause a Dragon to attack a town if it's food source was being depleted faster than it would respawn. They had to remove the code early in launch because they had too many players. I think the number was somewhere around 1% of what WOW's subscriber base is now. Ultima Online became super successful, grew the idea of MMOs, then Lord British made Tabula Rasa years later and failed miserably. The same example can be made of Windows and the idea of using a GUI to make computers more accessible when most families couldn't afford one. How about Activision blowing a ton of money on Tony Hawk Pro Skater when previous attempts as skateboarding games failed miserably? The most successful ventures are those that create a market for that thing, not those that enter the market when there is competition. I say any company that is afraid to enter into a market when it is not a sure thing is a company that doesn't believe in the power of their product. If Guncraft doesn't want to be Ouya's Halo, they can let the game fall into obscurity. You want your software to be synonymous with the hardware. Bungie is able to make Destiny now because they made Halo when everyone owned a Playstation 2.

TheZman
12-28-2013, 03:14 AM

I agree with all of your points...

At the end of the day, I'm the programmer so I don't get to make the business decisions that the company makes.

Its not a case of getting rich. Even breaking even would be good on Ouya.

Lets say we can port to Ouya and fully test it in 2-3 months (the game has taken 2 years to get to this point so thats not unrealistic given its a new platform). Our team is 4.5 people. We have to buy licenses to Xamarin Mono and android for both programmers $600 (though $2000 to really work properly https://store.xamarin.com/) - we need at least 2 Ouyas for network testing preferably more ($200) then you need pay for our office for a couple of months and all of our wages (Not my areas but feel free to estimate what you think that costs). We're a small team but that still costs money. We have bills to pay too.

Then take into account what Ouya take as a cut, and maybe our publisher (again not my area but its not uncommon for publishers to take a cut cross platform), take sales tax and business taxes off that too...

Now do the math on how many people have an Ouya and how many people are paying for games.

Multiply that by the fact that at $15 many of you will say 'I'm waiting for a 75% off sale' and like I said its hard for us to break even let along make a profit or get rich. (Rest assured few people are getting rich in indie games outside of the few people you hear of'.

The Ouya team need to step up and start publishing sales figures if they are good, otherwise the indie game world is going to continue to assume the worst.

Jake53
12-28-2013, 06:51 PM
I agree with all of your points...

At the end of the day, I'm the programmer so I don't get to make the business decisions that the company makes.

Its not a case of getting rich. Even breaking even would be good on Ouya.

Lets say we can port to Ouya and fully test it in 2-3 months (the game has taken 2 years to get to this point so thats not unrealistic given its a new platform). Our team is 4.5 people. We have to buy licenses to Xamarin Mono and android for both programmers $600 (though $2000 to really work properly https://store.xamarin.com/) - we need at least 2 Ouyas for network testing preferably more ($200) then you need pay for our office for a couple of months and all of our wages (Not my areas but feel free to estimate what you think that costs). We're a small team but that still costs money. We have bills to pay too.

Then take into account what Ouya take as a cut, and maybe our publisher (again not my area but its not uncommon for publishers to take a cut cross platform), take sales tax and business taxes off that too...

Now do the math on how many people have an Ouya and how many people are paying for games.

Multiply that by the fact that at $15 many of you will say 'I'm waiting for a 75% off sale' and like I said its hard for us to break even let along make a profit or get rich. (Rest assured few people are getting rich in indie games outside of the few people you hear of'.

The Ouya team need to step up and start publishing sales figures if they are good, otherwise the indie game world is going to continue to assume the worst.

I (incorrectly) had assumed that you already had the licenses. It's hard for me to advise you to still come to ouya as you probably wouldn't make your money back in the first two months, maybe longer.

I can say that your issue with the $15 price tag is hardly an issue. I know I have participated in the sentiment of "I will wait till it's cheaper" but the higher priced games (Towerfall, Final Fantasy, Ittle Dew) all have done more than fine by my knowledge... And this would seem like a bigger problem on steam which you're apart of... I won't buy a game at full price on steam and I know I'm not alone in that. Steam does offer a much larger population, but I want to just point out that people are not going to play your game and say it's not worth $15 on ouya. I still hope you and your team bring your game to ouya, but I understand the problem.

P.S. I wish ouya would release #s too, from talking to devs on this forum they definitely are not all bad.

subcreep197
12-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Games sell consoles, if devs don't take risk new consoles dont have a chance. Hell look at nintendo they have a really hard time with 3rd party support and it holds them back. Mario and Zelda pretty much carry Nintendo. Which points out just how important exclusives are. I challenge devs to take a risk and make there games exclusive to Ouya. I know several people who bought a Ouya just to play Killing Floor. My grandfather has bought every nintendo system just to play zelda, the man plays nothing else. 100 dollar entrance fee for a Ouya is a small price tag.

Depo78
01-02-2014, 06:59 PM
This would be an immediate purchase for me.