PDA

View Full Version : Tegra Overclock OUYA Edition

Jake Friedel
12-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Not sure if anyone posted this yet or not but the guy behind the Tegra Overclock app created one with a 1-click overclock for the best settings for the Ouya. I've noticed a significant increase in fps in more tasking games/emulators IE PPSSPP, GTA, Mame... you get the idea.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2458248&d=1387214939

rosse119
12-23-2013, 10:29 AM
sounds cool, does it need root?

Jake Friedel
12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Yeah but there's also a 1 click root app as well which you can find here:
http://d-h.st/EaS

Qyles
12-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Hey! Thank you for sharing.

Which are the differences in performance? Will the videos run smoother or the aeon nox skin in xbmc?

Because I dont think it will be needed in the games.

Thanks guys

Jake Friedel
12-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey! Thank you for sharing.

Which are the differences in performance? Will the videos run smoother or the aeon nox skin in xbmc?

Because I dont think it will be needed in the games.

Thanks guys

"GPU to 520Mhz, CPU clock to 1.7Ghz (1.6 on all 4 cores as set by OUYA). Ram at 800Mhz and also no throttling on Ram and GPU so that performance is reduced only due to H/W limitation or by bad coding practices and not due to some power saving logics"

Everything should run a bit smoother... further overclocking and tweaks are impossible until we can edit the kernel.

Me running this along with San Andreas without tweaking the games settings:

http://youtu.be/_8ybW8blVo0

nchantmnt
12-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Since latest kernel update from ota we do have a optimized gpu scaling so atm no real need for this app

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk

Jake Friedel
12-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Since latest kernel update from ota we do have a optimized gpu scaling so atm no real need for this app

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk

Well I'm not 100% sure all of what it tweaks but I've been messing with the Dreamcast emulator and I've tried DOA 2 with and without the overclocker enabled and I definitely get more fps with it enabled.

Mat
12-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Playing GTA SA will be better at 720p or with overclocked GPU. We were talk about this on XDA forum. Solution could be Android 4.2 or newer. Or OUYA should improve kernel for 720p and unlock 520MHz GPU and 1.6GHz CPU. We really need custom kernel. I don't know why we can't set resolution, on my old MK802+ I can set resolution and also refresh rate and there is Android 4.0.4.

https://www.ouya.tv/faq/#10
"OUYA will support 1080p and 720p over HDMI." But nothing.

maddcheddah
12-24-2013, 06:05 AM
How do I know this is working? I load it up click the ok button, but nothing seems to happen. Does the app stay loaded when you back out?

flamepanther
12-24-2013, 06:37 AM
How do I know this is working? I load it up click the ok button, but nothing seems to happen. Does the app stay loaded when you back out?The changes it makes stay in effect until you reboot. However, as mentioned above, recent optimizations mean you won't see as much impact from this now as you would have previously.

Technically, the app can't even really overclock the GPU. It just keeps it at the existing maximum instead of scaling it down when it's not in heavy use.

maddcheddah
12-24-2013, 02:42 PM
The changes it makes stay in effect until you reboot. However, as mentioned above, recent optimizations mean you won't see as much impact from this now as you would have previously.

Technically, the app can't even really overclock the GPU. It just keeps it at the existing maximum instead of scaling it down when it's not in heavy use.

eyesee

Diablohead
12-25-2013, 02:08 AM
if it's helping games though by doing such a thing then this is good and worth while, I mean the device is plugged into a wall and not running off battery.

I get sick of rather choppy android games on the ouya quite often.

SenVilan
12-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Damn, thinking about trying this out to see if it improves the performance of certain emulators... but I'm really clueless on the rooting thing. Doing this completely erases everything on the internal drive, right? I've got a bunch of emulators and such on it, but most of my games are on the external. I just wonder if this is worth the trouble, as I likely won't make much use of the rooting thing otherwise. I'd love smoother fps though.

flamepanther
12-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Doing this completely erases everything on the internal drive, right?Only if you install a custom ROM, which I wouldn't do right now.

SenVilan
12-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Only if you install a custom ROM, which I wouldn't do right now.

Ah cool, if that's the case, I might give the rooting and overclocker a go. I guess if I wanted to undo the rooting down the road, that would probably require a reformat?

Thanks, by the way.

Diablohead
12-31-2013, 09:30 PM
There is an one-click root app somewhere on this forums which I used, you only need to root the device once then it stays rooted.

This overclock profile needs to be run every time you hard reset or boot the ouya up but so far it seems to improve everything I run, but only slightly.

Jake Friedel
12-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Ah cool, if that's the case, I might give the rooting and overclocker a go. I guess if I wanted to undo the rooting down the road, that would probably require a reformat?

Thanks, by the way.

Read the first 3 posts in this thread... You're welcome in advance. :D

And you don't have to do anything as far as unrooting it... You'll continue to get your normal updates for the Ouya. Each update unroots your device but all you have to do is run the program again after the update and click the root button and 5secs later it's rooted again.

flamepanther
01-01-2014, 10:39 AM
There is an one-click root app somewhere on this forums which I used, you only need to root the device once then it stays rooted.

This overclock profile needs to be run every time you hard reset or boot the ouya up but so far it seems to improve everything I run, but only slightly.

I wish it could fix the frame dropping in Sonic 4 episode II. That's the only game I've played where the performance actually makes me want to quit.

SenVilan
01-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks a ton for the info guys : ). I'll be giving this a try later today.

Diablohead
01-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Been using this overclock profile every day on my ouya and not had a single problem, I recommend people use this if they have a rooted device, takes seconds to enable every time you boot the system up and you get noticeable gains in 3D games.

I wish it could fix the frame dropping in Sonic 4 episode II. That's the only game I've played where the performance actually makes me want to quit.

As good as it looks they really should have used the regular version or iOS version which has some fewer polys, fmv intro instead of real time and some other simple changes, it would have ran a LOT better.

Ep1 is terrible overall, the mobile version is hard capped to 30, a sonic game should not be 30 especially when most of the assets are 2D sprites.