PDA

View Full Version : Help with LED additions

Joe Palmer
12-17-2013, 03:35 AM
So I've had my OUYA for quite some time now and I love it and am planning on finally starting the mods I had in mind.

My first idea would be getting a BDG acrylic case with my schools' logo engraved and adding small red LED strips to the interior corners to light the logo up. With that being said, would it be possible to wire/solder the LED strips power into the place where the current white LED is on the top of the OUYA such that the red strips come on instead? I have no real understanding of wiring, so I have no idea if removing the current LED and replacing it with the power cable from the new ones would work or not. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks all! I love these forums. I'm also planning on replacing the fan on it soon as well as custom control plates. I want to make the OUYA my own.

spinal
12-17-2013, 09:27 AM
You could simple wire it to a USB plug, it works fine for additional LED lighting and as it would only require the power, you can use it without disrupting your regular usb devices.

Joe Palmer
12-17-2013, 07:05 PM
I had thought about that but it brings with it two problems:

1) The wire would have to leave the case in order to fit in the back for a USB plug which is less than ideal

2) If I'm going to add lights to the insides, I'd like to remove the white LED anyway because it would just distract from the reds.

I appreciate the idea, and I'm 100% sure that your idea would probably be a lot easier. I'm just hoping that I can replace the white LED with my own. If not, I'll certainly go the USB route.

spinal
12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
With the USB option, there are solder points on the OUYA that you can use. Someone on the forum here soldered a USB hub directly to the board, so finding a +5v and ground shouldn't be too hard.

undftdroar
12-19-2013, 10:35 PM
heres the picture taken from this thread : http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3964-DIY-More-USB-ports-for-Ouya

http://s9.postimg.org/4lziyjljj/20130702_234619.jpg