PDA

View Full Version : Replacement fan for Ouya (help)

Stage
12-08-2013, 01:30 AM
I have been running XBMC on ouya however the fan is actually quite loud.
I really want to replace it with a much quieter one. I have done some research but from what I've seen people are soldering new fans in and this scares me a bit as i have no experience of modding hardware.

Does anyone know of a fan that can just fit in. No soldering, nothing complex.
Thank you very much.

barkas
12-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Noctua nf-a4x10

ARBEIT ANGST KONSUMTERROR

Stage
12-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Noctua nf-a4x10

I have looked into this and seen the video below on YouTube

http://youtu.be/rra0FwlHvBA

However what loses me is the picture that shows wires being cut. I'm very confused because I've never done anything like that before.

TheLion
12-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I used a mini kazi SY124010L. It comes with an adapter cable. I cut the end off the adapter cable and cut the end off the old fan and spliced the wires using a pair of wire strippers and twisted the wires together then folded them over then taped them tight, its called a western union splice and it works fine without solder. Its very easy, anyone can do it. I highly recommend this mod. My unit is barely audible now whereas before it was way too loud. This mini kazi only has 14 dba of sound output. The one above has around 20 something. The mini kazi is only 5 bucks or so on ebay. I highly recommend it.

Stage
12-08-2013, 01:34 PM
I used a mini kazi SY124010L. It comes with an adapter cable. I cut the end off the adapter cable and cut the end off the old fan and spliced the wires using a pair of wire strippers and twisted the wires together then folded them over then taped them tight, its called a western union splice and it works fine without solder. Its very easy, anyone can do it. I highly recommend this mod. My unit is barely audible now whereas before it was way too loud. This mini kazi only has 14 dba of sound output. The one above has around 20 something. The mini kazi is only 5 bucks or so on ebay. I highly recommend it.

Does the mini kazi SY124010L come with a 2 pin plug, the same as the Ouya fan?
If it does, couldn't I just unscrew the original fan and literally screw in the Mini Kazi and plug the 2 pin plug into the port?
Or is it not as easy as that?

I have just taken apart my ouya and have circled the 2 pin port for clarification.
Thank you

http://i.imgur.com/ul7kfs1.jpg

TheLion
12-09-2013, 12:18 PM
The mini kazi comes with a bigger two prong connector than what will plug in to your board, so you have to cut the wires on both the old fan and the new adapter jumper that comes with the new fan and splice them color to color, really any 6 year old can do this. You use telephone wire strippers available at home depoo and twist the wires together then fold over tight and or solder them then tape them, it takes one minute and when done you can't even hear it unless you put your ear up to the top. Don't be afraid of stripping and joining two little wires or take it to your nearest cell phone or computer repair shop and ask them to do it for you.

Stage
12-09-2013, 03:07 PM
The mini kazi comes with a bigger two prong connector than what will plug in to your board, so you have to cut the wires on both the old fan and the new adapter jumper that comes with the new fan and splice them color to color, really any 6 year old can do this. You use telephone wire strippers available at home depoo and twist the wires together then fold over tight and or solder them then tape them, it takes one minute and when done you can't even hear it unless you put your ear up to the top. Don't be afraid of stripping and joining two little wires or take it to your nearest cell phone or computer repair shop and ask them to do it for you.

I understand now. Thank you for explaining. It seems like a simple job to do so I will go ahead and order a new fan.

barkas
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
The Noctua fan comes with a cable splicing kit.

Stage
12-09-2013, 10:30 PM
The Noctua fan comes with a cable splicing kit.

Good to know, thank you.
So just to be clear I'm cutting the original fan's two wires off (black and red) as well as the 2 pin plug off.
Then cutting the new fans plug off.
Then splicing the red wire with the red wire and black with the black and all should work?

Thanks for everyone's help!

barkas
12-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Good to know, thank you.
So just to be clear I'm cutting the original fan's two wires off (black and red) as well as the 2 pin plug off.
Then cutting the new fans plug off.
Then splicing the red wire with the red wire and black with the black and all should work?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Yes. Without cutting the new fans plug off, since a pre cut splicing plug is included.

Stage
12-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes. Without cutting the new fans plug off, since a pre cut splicing plug is included.

Just seen a picture of the omnijoin adapter so this should help.

http://www.noctua.at/images/feature_graphs/omnijoin_adaptor_set.jpg

stkpxl
12-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Yes. You cut the wire off the old fan and join the matched colors (obviously) with the Scotchlok connectors. All you need to do is push the ends of the wires in completely and crimp the connector with a set of pliers. I used some needlenose I had laying around and that worked fine. Just make sure it is pushed all the way down and the ends of the wires are all the way in. I screwed up on my first one and had to redo it. Luckily the kit comes with 4 of those Scotchlok connectors so you have a little room to screw up if you have to. The fan replacement is so easy. The hard part is trying to fit everything back in. I had to run my wires underneath the board and to the empty side where there is room. Problem is that it still fits really snug and only stays down when the cover is put back on. It took me awhile to get it right tho so use a flashlight. Definitely helps.

Stage
12-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info, even though this is said to be an easy job I am very thankful of all the help I can get :)

Kees667
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
For future users, I just did this, two pointers that are not really clear from the video
- when you open the top of the case, the board just slides out, just be careful. There are no cables
-when you turn on the ouya with the new fan it might not run, it will only kick in when it is warm so don't freak out (yet). I ran puddle for a minute to heat it up and it started spinning. Be careful though in case you did install it wrong, don't wait hours for it to start spinning....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)