PDA

View Full Version : Achievements for games as a whole

Hydrus
12-07-2013, 02:44 AM
I was thinking that instead of developers having to make a set of achievements for each game, OUYA can make something like game medals, and for each game that you buy or complete, you get a medal. The images of these said achievements can be as the name suggests, a medal but on the medal there must be something related to the game. Maybe a lifted-up, bold shape of a character or logo. Something like this.

http://www.chocolatetradingco.com/pictures/products/8/7/0/.870/~iDbcQmcp/chocolate-medal.jpg

If for example you bought or completed No brakes Valet, you can get a medal. Instead of having a 1 on the medal as shown above, there can be a car or one of the chickens that appear on the truck. It could possibly be easy to implement if they link the game medals to your account's/console's game purchases and maybe wouldn't need much push from developers, except for the images of the medals and gamesaves.

At first this might seem as a greedy way for OUYA to get people to buy games, but it could be used as a means of saying "thank you" or as a way to motivate people to indeed buy more games but for other positive reasons, like to support the good platform that OUYA is. I know people who are crazy for achievements, I personally love them but out of all the Xbox 360 games that I have, I've only fully completed like two or three games because there are too much, some are ridiculously hard and most achievements require you to purchase additional DLC, which I believe is dumb. Limiting the medal to game purchases or game completion seems like a better option than throwing out achievements for random things.

This also could be something optional since I know that not everyone likes achievements, there can be an option somewhere in the settings that disables this while also leaving the option for those that do want to use it available.

derty
12-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Great idea :)
And it's exactly like u said, it's a great way to promote game purchases as well as having the player hav more of a reason to play/beat/buy games haha :D
Everybody would win with something like this implemented

nujuat
12-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Acheivements for buying games sounds reasonable. I mean (especially for level based games) it would be hard/impossible to get all achievements without buying the full game first!

I do have achievements in my game "Drawing Universe" but they are not official OUYA achievments though.

watson387
12-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I like this idea. I really enjoy achievements on Xbox 360. If I got one for finishing an Ouya game I'd be ecstatic! Needs a distinct notification sound though. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Hydrus
12-11-2013, 09:31 PM
If they can also work this out with the free games that not that many people play, it can also give "Achievement Hunters" a reason for them to try them. It's good for gamers that like to collect and good for developers since people will give their games a try. If the gamers like the game, they'll follow the developer and purchase a future game that the dev might launch. It's a win-win situation for both parties.

Another thought, unlike other consoles, they can probably make achievements cross-generation. OUYA 1 achievements can be transferable to your OUYA 2 console.

Killswitch
12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Ouya dropped the ball on the social side. They had an option and chose to go with their plan which is their choice but we still don't see anything social.

watson387
12-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Ouya dropped the ball on the social side. They had an option and chose to go with their plan which is their choice but we still don't see anything social.

I agree with you, but they can still turn that around. They've fixed a lot of the major problems people were having. As bugs get less they have a chance to focus on fun more. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Negative Zero
12-12-2013, 12:38 AM
One of the first things that made me love my Ouya was the lack of achievements/trophies. On my 360 I think I spent more time hunting for achievements than enjoying my games. I would keep playing games long after the fun was over just to get more achievements. The "pure" experience of the Ouya has allowed me to go back to simply enjoying video games for themselves, not chasing after pointless status symbols.

I think having achievements changes the way people play games, and not necessarily for the better. They might actually take away from, or at least dilute, the whole "sit down, play, have fun" mentality that Ouya has held so far.

edit: I completely realize that it's likely that I'm the only one who feels this way. Just wanted to put my two cents in.

Hydrus
12-12-2013, 01:17 AM
edit: I completely realize that it's likely that I'm the only one who feels this way. Just wanted to put my two cents in.

I remember someone else telling me that he didn't like achievements. I think it was LightyKD or Kaimega, I can't remember.

OUYA can probably make the achievements thing optional and have an option for it to be disabled in the settings.

Eldon.McGuinness
12-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Since when were achievements not optional? Am I missing something?

Hydrus
12-12-2013, 02:43 AM
On Android it's optional like, with Scoreloop (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scoreloop.android.slapp) for example. You can install and uninstall the app at your own will. On the Xbox 360 you can't since it's integrated with the system. As soon as you start a game (that isn't an indie game) a list of achievements appear on your profile and they all appear locked. There's no way for them to not appear as far as I know. So basically, even if you don't want to unlock them or don't want to know about them, they still follow you everywhere. I can't speak for the other platforms, like the PS3 and Steam.

James Andrew Coote
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
I think achievements and social features just got dropped down the priority list in favour of more immediate things that were preventing or slowing down people's ability to download and buy games (that meant working on things like USB storage and promoted product button).

I think things like system wide achievements are actually more limited in scope than they first appear. So for example, an "I downloaded this game" achievement shouldn't really be an achievement. Instead, it should be part of a download history feature. Then give the player the optional ability to share that history with friends or everyone.

mmartino
12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Bah I have no need for achievements and other social aspects. As long as it doesn't slow my system down or interrupt game play I can take them or leave them

timmytot666
12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Agreed as long as it doesn't effect the gameplay. But I'd like a message system.

Schizophretard
12-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Completing games might be hard because some may have scores, an ending, side missions, other things, and all of the above. It would probably make it real hard to find a way to do it for every type of game and if they don't do it for every type of game then it might cause an unfair balance that gives developers an incentive to create the types of games that get the medals.

It would be kind of cool if they made a gold coin that is transparent like the storage icons. Once you spend money on a game the storage icon would turn gold and the check mark above the thumb stick would turn into a $ sign. You would know what you spent money on by it turning into a gold coin.

grayday104
12-15-2013, 12:43 AM
what he said

Jeffry84
01-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Love the idea of medals. If they are to work in a similar way of the PS3 trophies, let me point out that they don't work with demos, they'll work just once the game is purchased.

A good point for trophies is that they are of different material (I don't know if achievements work similarly). Bronze, silver, gold and platinum: the first three kinds are obtained according to the difficulty of the task required, while the platinum is usually obtained by collecting all the other trophies. This could work perfectly for medals as well. Also most achievements and trophies are the same in multiplatform games.

There are also bad parts regarding these collectibles: they are mandatory and not manageable by the user: one can't refuse or delete them. They can only be hidden for the online use. In this, medals could change, for example by letting one erase completely a game's medal collection (thus allowing her/him to recollect them if she/he likes), or simply not using them.

MegaManV
02-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Negative Zero

I remember someone else telling me that he didn't like achievements. I think it was LightyKD or Kaimega, I can't remember.

OUYA can probably make the achievements thing optional and have an option for it to be disabled in the settings.

Actually you can add me to that list as well. I've never been a big fan of acheivements and I'm not really pleased with how Microsoft pretty much forced them on every developer they came in contact with. I especially dislike the gamer mentality they wound up creating over the years, so no- I'd rather Ouya steered clear of them.

boxtropica
06-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Since when were achievements not optional? Am I missing something?
It can suck if you have OCD.
But... Perhaps they could leech off of those with OCD, and allow you to buy those harder medals, or even all medals in a game, for a sensible price- a price that isn't whopping huge and one that isn't "Oh, why do all the work if I could just spend a few cents?"

The other option is to allow it to be managable, as per jeffry's idea.

In this regard it comes down to "Money < User Experience" or "Money > User Experience".

trizznilla
06-22-2014, 04:32 AM
I'm with the achievement haters on this one. I need to be able to completely turn them off if they are implemented. I used to work at GameStop, and granted that place had a tendency to attract weirdos. But man, there is a fairly large portion of the gaming population who are willing to slog through garbage for easy achievements. Then the baffling amount of trophy whores who came in and wouldn't play some of those amazing early ps3 games due to lack of virtual bangles. I was turning into the videogame version of Jack Black from High Fidelity. I swear to God there are people out there who would pay twenty dollars for ten thousand gamerscore. I don't care if they are on Ouya, but I don't want them shoved down my throat.

RiotingSpectre
06-22-2014, 04:37 AM
I'm with the achievement haters on this one. I need to be able to completely turn them off if they are implemented. I used to work at GameStop, and granted that place had a tendency to attract weirdos. But man, there is a fairly large portion of the gaming population who are willing to slog through garbage for easy achievements. Then the baffling amount of trophy whores who came in and wouldn't play some of those amazing early ps3 games due to lack of virtual bangles. I was turning into the videogame version of Jack Black from High Fidelity. I swear to God there are people out there who would pay twenty dollars for ten thousand gamerscore. I don't care if they are on Ouya, but I don't want them shoved down my throat.

I've never felt so vindicated in my life. I loathe achievements and the groups of individuals that play video games literally just to get nothing but achievements.

Shiroku
08-10-2014, 09:45 PM
you got my vote ;-)