PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Making Cases or Covers for the OUYA?

batCrazy
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Does anyone have plans to make any cases or covers for the OUYA. After seeing the dev console it looks like it will be really easy to make a lot of creative covers for it, or even replacement cases.

darksakul
12-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Does anyone have plans to make any cases or covers for the OUYA. After seeing the dev console it looks like it will be really easy to make a lot of creative covers for it, or even replacement cases.
I am sure it be crazy easy from how simple the Developers console case appears to be.

I am envious of the developers console due to the fact that see though plastic looks so cool.

Valravn
12-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Check this out.
http://www.gizmag.com/staples-mcor-easy-3d-printing/25284/

Eddie K
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Pretty cool stuff. I wonder how many people will simply 3d-print their own covers.
Ed

zaledorr
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Since I am into RetroGaming and Videoconsols a lot I started working on modifying an ATARI 2600 case to fit in my ouya.
Not sure what else I should put in there, got a lot of empty space :-)

Matt_Lang
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Hmmm this seems like it would be a great business.... especially because my father owns a machine shop and could get me a great price on manufacturing these cases

OUYAReview
03-20-2013, 02:11 PM
There was actually an inexpensive 3D Printer on Kickstarter that would be perfect to make custom cases! Forgot the name tho :( I'd make me a Companion Cube Ouya.

Jack_Mcslay
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm considering buying a nonworking genesis and use it as a case myself. Ouya + powered hub + USB HDD = bliss. I might wait and buy a second ouya tho, I don't want to ruin my Dev ouya

zaledorr
03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking.
How far in the process are you?
I did some preparations but since I only got a dev ouya to take size and dimensions from it I think I wait until I get my regular one.
Are you thinking about using a "larger" power adapter?

cheers!

Michael Thompson
03-22-2013, 12:19 AM
I used to have a Game Boy Advance SP that was NES-themed.

It might be interesting to see a standard Ouya case done in that theme also.

Bitcrafts
03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Yes I have already made a couple of prototypes. The problem is that I am neither a kickstarter back nor a developer. Can anyone provide precise measurement?

Jack_Mcslay
03-23-2013, 08:29 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking.
How far in the process are you?
I did some preparations but since I only got a dev ouya to take size and dimensions from it I think I wait until I get my regular one.
Are you thinking about using a "larger" power adapter?

cheers!Probably just put both USB and Ouya power adapters in the case as well. Ouya's power adapter is 12V/2A, the next step up you can easily find is a notebook PSU, which rarely comes in 12V, meaning I would need to make two voltage converters, for USB and Ouya.

Yes I have already made a couple of prototypes. The problem is that I am neither a kickstarter back nor a developer. Can anyone provide precise measurement?Kinda pointless now considering there's no guarantee the dev ouya has the same dimensions as the final version

mastercpt
03-27-2013, 02:49 PM
I had this same idea to make a custom case. While the Ouya looks great, I wanted something "different". Was waiting till I got my Ouya to start tinkering (Hope I am in the early batches shipping soon). Also planning on getting a 3d printer to print a new case. Original design looks like it would be easy to swap the board into a different case.

*EDIT*

About an hour after posting...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/27/makerbot-ouya/

mastercpt
03-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Since most people probably aren't going to spend $2200+ to make a single case, Would there be a need/want to crowd source custom cases? I wouldn't mind making the custom cases if there is enough interest. Could print the basic models in different colors, add Username printed on case. I have a few other ideas can make into custom cases or let you supply the design file.

zaledorr
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Since most people probably aren't going to spend $2200+ to make a single case, Would there be a need/want to crowd source custom cases? I wouldn't mind making the custom cases if there is enough interest. Could print the basic models in different colors, add Username printed on case. I have a few other ideas can make into custom cases or let you supply the design file.
This sounds good to me!
Let's check your ideas and see where this takes us.

mastercpt
03-31-2013, 12:52 AM
I am currently working with someone for some designs. Should have some pictures soon. I just need to get some estimated costs and can give some ideas. Will probably do a kickstarter campaign to pay for up front materials.

Our first idea is a standard box with etched or see through username. More elaborate cases will take up a lot of printing time so they will depend on what the popularity of custom cases are. I personally want a tardis case.

CaptainCapslock
03-31-2013, 02:41 AM
I am currently working with someone for some designs. Should have some pictures soon. I just need to get some estimated costs and can give some ideas. Will probably do a kickstarter campaign to pay for up front materials.

Our first idea is a standard box with etched or see through username. More elaborate cases will take up a lot of printing time so they will depend on what the popularity of custom cases are. I personally want a tardis case.
Be sure to keep us posted on the process. And especially if you are indeed going to run a kickstarter campaign.
I'm sure you'll find some support from this forum!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

xmcnuggetx
03-31-2013, 02:39 PM
i want a case that has a 4 port usb hub built in

GreggHoush
03-31-2013, 11:15 PM
i want a case that has a 4 port usb hub built in

That is actually a great idea. This is something I would pay for.

T3KN0GH057
04-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I want a NES-styled case where you can pop open the hatch that the game would have slid into and slide in a 2.5" sata harddrive, a USB Hub Where the contoller ports would have been

Cutepancakesrawr
04-01-2013, 02:18 AM
I want a NES-styled case where you can pop open the hatch that the game would have slid into and slide in a 2.5" sata harddrive, a USB Hub Where the contoller ports would have been

+1

Yes, painted in NES grey, or even fake-gold like the zelda cartridges.
^o.o^
If theres a kickstarter, id like to get a linki for it.

T3KN0GH057
04-01-2013, 02:59 AM
+1

Yes, painted in NES grey, or even fake-gold like the zelda cartridges.
^o.o^
If theres a kickstarter, id like to get a linki for it.

Me too I'd totally be willing to support a kickstarter that will make classic game console shells for the OUYA, the Kickstarter could be to fund getting that person a 3D Printer (or a few) + over that the 3d blueprints designed for the shells.

And not just because i plan to play some emulation on my system, but because for me OUYA's about getting back to the roots of gaming... function of games over form!

mastercpt
04-01-2013, 03:21 AM
Me too I'd totally be willing to support a kickstarter that will make classic game console shells for the OUYA, the Kickstarter could be to fund getting that person a 3D Printer (or a few) + over that the 3d blueprints designed for the shells.

And not just because i plan to play some emulation on my system, but because for me OUYA's about getting back to the roots of gaming... function of games over form!

This is an awesome idea. I am finishing up a few designs for other cases and hope to have some renderings this week. Also gonna finish getting in touch with everything need to start the process of making cases. I am very excited to make cases, and think it would be awesome to make a retro nes case. Will have to see how difficult that would be.

Will keep all posted through out process

MikeyRoy
04-01-2013, 03:28 AM
Hey folks, anyone know what the case material is made of? black looks plastic, but is that brushed aluminum I see?

GreggHoush
04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey folks, anyone know what the case material is made of? black looks plastic, but is that brushed aluminum I see?

You are correct. black plastic and aluminum.

zeuser
04-01-2013, 09:10 PM
This is an awesome idea. I am finishing up a few designs for other cases and hope to have some renderings this week. Also gonna finish getting in touch with everything need to start the process of making cases. I am very excited to make cases, and think it would be awesome to make a retro nes case. Will have to see how difficult that would be.

Will keep all posted through out process

mastercpt, I would love to take a look at your designs as well as purchase some cases from you if you have some creative designs.

mastercpt
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I made a new thread in general to gather ideas...