PDA

View Full Version : [OUYA 2] Voice Chat Integration

James Andrew Coote
11-24-2013, 09:29 PM
It'd be great if the OUYA 2 had a microphone jack, allowing gamers to chat with each other either just hanging out or in-game.

Furthermore, I'd propose OUYA create a ventrillo / teamspeak type app, integrated with whatever social features they have. For those not familiar with teamspeak type apps, they act like private chatrooms that anyone with the right password can join, only for VoIP / voice chat. Typically, you rent a server with the price determining the maximum number of people who can connect. When integrated with OUYA, you would be able to invite other OUYA users / friends onto your server

Doing it this way, OUYA could cover the costs of running these extra servers by charging subscriptions for them.

For players, they would be able to get their own private voice chat rooms, allowing them to talk with friends and/or form clans/guilds for online multiplayer games. Plus, since you pay for the server, not for the voice chat itself, players who can't afford $7 or $15 could club together and rent a server jointly

LightyKD
12-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Why wait for OUYA 2 for voice chat? We can do it right now with Bluetooth headsets.

CodemonkeyAlx
12-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Why wait for OUYA 2 for voice chat? We can do it right now with Bluetooth headsets.
^Excellent point there!

James Andrew Coote
12-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Because not everyone has a bluetooth headset (such as yours truly) :)

Just thinking in terms of how to make voice chat really social and work for the players, not just be tacked on

sahoskins12
12-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I feel it would be best done via software that run in the background irrespective of what game or app you were currently using. Maybe a headset/mic jack on the next version of the controller with option to connect bluetooth or usb headset to the console itself (should be open after all).

LightyKD
12-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Because not everyone has a bluetooth headset (such as yours truly) :)

Just thinking in terms of how to make voice chat really social and work for the players, not just be tacked on

I don't have a Bluetooth headset but I would love to see USB headsets supported eventually.