PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk OUYA 2. What would you like to see?

Pages : [1] 2

haikallp
11-24-2013, 05:20 AM
CEO of Ouya Inc, Julie Urhman has stated in an interview that the OUYA's successor will be out sometime in 2014.
What do you think the OUYA 2 should have to better succeed next year. Sound it off!
Meanwhile, here's my suggestion,

Android 4.4 KitKat
NVIDIA Tegra 4 (T40)
Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15
72 core, 80 GFLOPS @ 672 MHz
32 GB flash memory
2 GB DDR3L SDRAM @ 933 MHz
Bluetooth LE 4.0
2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n
2 x USB 3.0
1 x microUSB 2.0
1 x Ethernet 10/100
1 x HDMI 1.4
US$129

Est. release: May 2014
RRP: US$129.00

madmax2069
11-24-2013, 05:50 AM
A freaking SD card slot for starters,

Victor Coleiro
11-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Pretty sure it will be later than April, probably Sept-Oct 2014

I'd like to see a Tegra 5 , SD / uSD slot + External WiFi Antennae

haikallp
11-24-2013, 05:55 AM
yeah, that's a great idea but external usb drive has solved the limited storage problem for me

CesarYAtique
11-24-2013, 09:00 AM
I'd like to see a Tegra 5

This. When OUYA 2 launches it should have tegra 5

iprice
11-24-2013, 09:30 AM
TOUYA :p

Schizophretard
11-24-2013, 10:12 AM
I voted,"Others, suggest in the comments!". I wouldn't mind 2.0 being the model number but I would prefer every generation to just be named "OUYA". I rather it have more of an appearance of being one console that is constantly evolving like the controller instead of being a brand new console. It would just be one console that gets upgraded yearly instead of a new generation. That way, ten years from now instead of saying,"OUYA has survived ten generations!" We could say,"OUYA has been a successful console for ten years!"

Anyway, what I would like to see is them making the next iteration focus on keeping the price at $99. Within that price point I would like them to focus on fixing any hardware issues OUYA 1.0 has first and if they can solve all those issues for under $99 then they fit in the higher specs that would make people think of it more of an OUYA 2.0. This goes along with my naming thing above. I don't like the idea of jumping from OUYA 1.0 with its issues to OUYA 2.0 with its own hardware issues. I would prefer more of a evolving transition from one to the other and if that transition can be done in one year then that would be great but if it takes two years that would be fine too. In other words, I rather see more things like fixing WIFI, fixing the ventilation problem, replacing USB 2.0 with USB 3.0, more internal space, and so forth before worrying about going from Tegra 3 to Tegra 4. OUYA 1.0 not being an OUYA 2.0 isn't one of OUYA 1.0 issues. There are still all kinds of games yet to be ported to it, games that are being developed for it now, and the FTGF for it doesn't even end until almost a year from now. I don't think there will be any shortage of OUYA 1.0 games for a while and that most developers will be pushing its limits any time soon. The games are coming. They come weekly. The issues with OUYA 1.0 that can only be solved with hardware upgrades should be focused on first and OUYA 2.0 games second while trying to keep the price at $99 dollars while it evolves to the point of having OUYA 2.0 games. It doesn't have to exactly be $99 but the point is I want them to focus on keeping it cheap, evolving yearly as just an OUYA, and increasing the specs for the games to be thought of as OUYA 2.0 games only after all the other issues are solved first. The same with going from OUYA 2.0 to OUYA 3.0 games. To put it another way, I would rather the next OUYA to be more of an OUYA 1.5 than an OUYA 2.0 if the iteration would be an expensive OUYA 2.0 that still has OUYA 1.0 issues or an even more expensive OUYA 2.0 that fixes OUYA 1.0 issues.

Nooskewl
11-24-2013, 11:28 AM
The only thing I want to see is 100% backwards compatibility. I don't want to buy an OUYA 2 to keep making games for OUYA/OUYA 2. I have an OUYA "1" now that plays the game we're developing just fine, and I want it to work on all future versions of the OUYA.

HeadClot
11-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Personally I would like to see -

1. Backwards Compatibility

2. Tegra 4 Processor

3. At least 2 GB of Ram (Maybe More?)

4. More Awesome!

Schizophretard
11-24-2013, 12:49 PM
The only thing I want to see is 100% backwards compatibility. I don't want to buy an OUYA 2 to keep making games for OUYA/OUYA 2. I have an OUYA "1" now that plays the game we're developing just fine, and I want it to work on all future versions of the OUYA.

That should be a given. If there isn't 100% backwards compatibility then an OUYA 2.0 shouldn't even be considered for a long time. As a retro video game collector backwards compatibility is really important to me. Hooking up all my consoles would take up an entire wall up to the ceiling, be a fire hazard with all of the wires, require a lot of a/v switch boxes, and more than one TV(HD/CRT). I wish companies always had backwards compatibility where possible. Even if that meant making a version that didn't have it as the standard model and a much more expensive premium version that did.

For an indie developer like yourself it is even more important than my convenience of wanting less consoles that play more games. For you, only having one year at most for a game to make a profit is ridiculous. Your games shouldn't seem dated after just a year. An OUYA 1.0 game should be an OUYA 2.0, 3.0, 4.0,... game. If they would do something so stupid to not have backwards compatibility then they should at the very least make these cube consoles like LEGO's that hook together to eventually make one big cube console that makes everyone feel the OCD need to collect them all. :D

mazdajdavis
11-24-2013, 12:49 PM
This. When OUYA 2 launches it should have tegra 5
Tegra 5 isnt even been shopped to manufactures yet & to keep the price point low thats not going to happen. Get an Xbox One or PS4 which i will be doing if you want that kind of power. Your missing the point of the OUYA completely. It will have a Tegra 4 no if & or buts about it. Keep dreaming for a Tegra 5 a chip that doesn't even exist yet. It will be in the Ouya 3.

Schizophretard
11-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Tegra 5 isnt even been shopped to manufactures yet & to keep the price point low thats not going to happen. Get an Xbox One or PS4 which i will be doing if you want that kind of power. Your missing the point of the OUYA completely. It will have a Tegra 4 no if & or buts about it. Keep dreaming for a Tegra 5 a chip that doesn't even exist yet. It will be in the Ouya 3.

I find it interesting how fast people want to upgrade the chips when even today developers haven't fully pushed the limits of the Atari 2600 yet.

seiseki
11-24-2013, 02:58 PM
I find it interesting how fast people want to upgrade the chips when even today developers haven't fully pushed the limits of the Atari 2600 yet.

Because it takes time for devs to fully push a consoles performance and you don't have an unlimited amount of time.
I also see a lot of mobile games that make lots of compromises due to performance concerns.
The more freedom devs are given the easier it is to churn out games and not have to worry about stuff like tris count, drawcalls and fillrates.

Hamster
11-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I would like to see improvements with the controller. I want rechargeable battery packs, rumble motors, improved dpad, improved triggers and a port so I can plug it to my PC and charge the batteries too.

timmytot666
11-24-2013, 03:24 PM
4 full size 3.0 usb ports, 2gb of ram, tegra 5, rechargeable battery packs, stronger bluetooth for controllers/system, dedicated wifi antenna, taco dispenser, multiple case designs, better thumbsticks/triggers/bumpers, chat features, native netflix, Dolphin/PPSSPP native.

TylerJones
11-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I have no desire for a 'more powerful' OUYA console. The only thing that I want is an improved controller, and if that requires a new OUYA, so be it. They have to kill the persistent lag problems, which I still encounter, and it would be nice for the thumbsticks to have some more texture on them.

haikallp
11-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Surely with that kind of specs, it will cost more than $150
4 full size 3.0 usb ports, 2gb of ram, tegra 5, rechargeable battery packs, stronger bluetooth for controllers/system, dedicated wifi antenna, taco dispenser, multiple case designs, better thumbsticks/triggers/bumpers, chat features, native netflix, Dolphin/PPSSPP native.

Rumble functionality would be great. But most importantly, I want the next controllers to have better thumbsticks and USB
charging would be great.

TOUYA :p

Touche ;)

I think the team at OUYA must realize that, for great games to come, they have to have a great set of hardware. Especially if they want to attract the likes of Gameloft

↓ Posts merged. Please do not quadruple post. Try to use the 'Edit Post' button below next time to add to your previous post. Thanks. ↓

timmytot666
11-24-2013, 05:36 PM
It would not be too expensive. With the soac getting cheaper and cheaper they will be saving a lot on the hardware besides the nvidia chip. Also the usb ports are not at all more expensive. Would just require changing the configuration.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

simple-smile
11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm very sure the OUYA 2 will have hardware that's available at that time for a price that allows the OUYA to still be 99 USD. That's part of what they stand for.

I assume they will change stuff that addresses known problems (could be a better wifi antenna/ bluetooth receiver, or a change of bluetooth technology away from the power saving one), will NOT add additional hardware specs like USB ports but will instead pack the best processor and RAM and stuff available for 99 USD.

Cherry_Balloon
11-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Things I'd like to see:

-Better physical build (The Micro USB slot on mine, which is a retail console, just broke off while testing the samples. That's just silly.)
-SD Card Slot
-Tegra 4
-moar ram
-Cool new case design(s)
-Backwards compatibility with games AND cases (i.e., you can put an OUYA 1 in an Ouya 2 case, or mayhaps vice versa.)
-Headphone jack
-Digital Audio Jack

timmytot666
11-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Am I really the only guy who wants a taco dispenser? :-(

haikallp
11-24-2013, 06:10 PM
When do you guys think the next OUYA will be released? I'm really hoping it'd be in March/April.
And I'm certain games will be backward compatible. Though certain newer games might not be able to handle the older hardware.

timmytot666
11-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Hahaha. Yeah right. More like next fall/winter

cthulhu
11-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Keep dreaming for a Tegra 5 a chip that doesn't even exist yet.

It certainly does exist and will be available in actual products you can purchase by the middle of next year if not sooner: http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/168881-nvidias-next-gen-logan-chip-gets-some-facetime-shows-what-mobile-kepler-can-do

spinal
11-24-2013, 06:33 PM
The only thing I really want out of a new OUYA, would be more power to USB, so that unpowered USB hubs can be used reliably.

James Andrew Coote
11-24-2013, 07:04 PM
More RAM would be nice, but if something needs to be sacrificed to get it under $99, I think RAM should be it. Very few if any devs are maxing out the RAM at the moment. There are other bottlenecks that would have a bigger impact on both existing games, and in being able to give devs the ability to create more ambitious games

Mic jack would be really nice. In fact, going to post a separate thread with an idea I have in mind for that.

The really important thing is to change the perception of the OUYA. That means the controller can't have any of the problems that have afflicted it in the past, in terms of lag/bluetooth issues. It'd be better for OUYA to go overboard on making sure this particular part of the hardware is improved.

As well, OUYA are making great strides with the UI/Launcher software, and so long as they continue to iterate on that, they should be fine. Though having said that, it might be worth keeping some updates / new features back so that they launch with a really stable, rock solid build. No point squeezing in maximum features just to have them as bullet points on the sales pitch, only for one or two less-than-polished ones being a drag on things. OUYA 2 must be super-polished, and perceived as much more the finished article, consumer ready version

Other wishlist things include having some joined up marketing. Letting OUYA devs know about the launch months in advance, so that they can prep their games and marketing to all tie into the launch window. Last time, the marketing didn't have much of a focus on the actual games, but there are some real quality offerings on the platform now, and probably a fair few hits-to-be that devs are keeping quiet about. It'd be a shame if those devs missed the opportunity to be OUYA 2 launch games simply because they weren't told far enough in advance

Also, SD card slot, in addition to USB storage ought to solve that problem once and for all

kethinov
11-24-2013, 07:32 PM
My wish list is mostly software related.

- Android 4.4.
- Support for development using Phonegap / Cordova.
- A web browser preinstalled in the app launcher (not buried in submenus like the current one) with a more controller-optimized interface.
- Ability to sideload apps / and games from the web browser.

But I certainly wouldn't mind faster hardware too. I can't play 1080p videos with VLC. Too laggy. Maybe faster hardware would help?

cthulhu
11-24-2013, 07:55 PM
The really important thing is to change the perception of the OUYA.

Yes, and fixing broken promises should be a part of this. Remember the hackability promise? How many people bought a Ouya primarily because of this? I know I did.

seiseki
11-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I wish they would partner up with youtube for an OUYA youtube app, because I find that whenever I gather a bunch of friends at some point someone mentions youtube and then everyone has one or two videos on their minds that they need to show.

When do you guys think the next OUYA will be released? I'm really hoping it'd be in March/April.
And I'm certain games will be backward compatible. Though certain newer games might not be able to handle the older hardware.

That's way too early.
I think august or september because they need to make sure everything works, especially the manufacturing.

Schizophretard
11-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Because it takes time for devs to fully push a consoles performance and you don't have an unlimited amount of time.
I also see a lot of mobile games that make lots of compromises due to performance concerns.
The more freedom devs are given the easier it is to churn out games and not have to worry about stuff like tris count, drawcalls and fillrates.

And it will take time for most developers to push OUYA 1.0 to its limits and I think a year isn't it. I would welcome more performance but not at the expense of other things or at a huge price point.

cthulhu
11-25-2013, 04:26 AM
And it will take time for most developers to push OUYA 1.0 to its limits and I think a year isn't it.

Agreed, but this doesn't enter into it. The world of ARM-based SoCs with powerful GPUs is moving rapidly. Ouya must release an updated Ouya sometime next year if they are to remain relevant.

dra6onfire
11-25-2013, 05:17 AM
To remain relevant? Relevant to who? The speed of technological improvement does not affect the funtionality of existing hardware. There may be people who want better hardware but the age of the hardware in a successful platform is irrelevant until that hardware is too cumbersome for developers to work with and an easier solution that is equally successful comes along. Im not saying the hardware won't be in a position to be upgraded next year but to say that its relevancy depends on keeping the hardware up to current tech specs is ridiculous.

cthulhu
11-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Im not saying the hardware won't be in a position to be upgraded next year but to say that its relevancy depends on keeping the hardware up to current tech specs is ridiculous.

You think? Try looking at the fate of high-tech products and the entities that created them that weren't kept up-to-date.

Schizophretard
11-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Agreed, but this doesn't enter into it. The world of ARM-based SoCs with powerful GPUs is moving rapidly. Ouya must release an updated Ouya sometime next year if they are to remain relevant.

As I said, I wouldn't mind as long as OUYA 2.0 solves OUYA 1.0 issues and it is a low price. In other words, I believe an OUYA 2.0 should be an OUYA 1.0 Plus primarily and an OUYA 2.0 secondary.

cthulhu
11-25-2013, 08:34 AM
As I said, I wouldn't mind as long as OUYA 2.0 solves OUYA 1.0 issues and it is a low price.

Does this mean you would buy a Tegra 3-based Ouya 2 as long as it was done right, like it should've been in the first place?

Magnesus
11-25-2013, 09:21 AM
For me the requirements for OUYA 2 are as follows:
1. Audio Out with good DAC - for example some cheap Wolfson.
2. Fixes so XMBC works perfectly (especially with 5.1 sound).
3. Something better than Tegra 4 (Snapdragon 810, Tegra 5 or something like that).
4. Fast internal flash (SSD preferably), at least 16GB of it.
5. Reliable WiFi.
6. Ability to switch to Android launcher (so full Android behind the OUYA front - preferably 3 frontends to choose from: OUYA, XMBC and Android, easily switchable).

And from a developer standpoint:
7. Taking responsibility for the sales instead of claiming they are between the developer and the user and pretending the store is only a transaction service like paypal.

But in reality I will probably wait for Google, Samsung or Amazon to make a console.

James Andrew Coote
11-25-2013, 10:21 AM
The issue is not precisely what hardware the OUYA has, but the perception. So they have to be seen as not too backward / old tech, while still being able to hit that $99 price point

I personally think they should aim for around May time for OUYA 2 release. Later and people will probably be talking about Tegra 5. Earlier and they will be clashing with the release of Titanfall and Watch Dogs and other spring titles on next-gen. Plus, aiming for May, if they do slip to say June or early July, it probably won't have a big cost associated with it

Also, just on the name, the album Version 2.0 by Garbage is one of my favourites, hence why I think OUYA 2.0 is the coolest name :)

cthulhu
11-25-2013, 01:32 PM
I personally think they should aim for around May time for OUYA 2 release. Later and people will probably be talking about Tegra 5.

But people are already talking about Tegra 5 as this thread shows. Remember, Nvidia are major investors in Ouya so for them to give Ouya a special discounted price for the Tegra 5 may not be out of the question, especially since Ouya might be able to make use of substandard SoCs which would otherwise be discarded. I don't believe a $99 Tegra 5-based Ouya 2 in 2014 is impossible and I do believe Ouya need to be particularly aggressive on the performance front if they are to survive.

James Andrew Coote
11-25-2013, 02:09 PM
But people are already talking about Tegra 5 as this thread shows. Remember, Nvidia are major investors in Ouya so for them to give Ouya a special discounted price for the Tegra 5 may not be out of the question, especially since Ouya might be able to make use of substandard SoCs which would otherwise be discarded. I don't believe a $99 Tegra 5-based Ouya 2 in 2014 is impossible and I do believe Ouya need to be particularly aggressive on the performance front if they are to survive.

Actually, NVidia are pushing their own Shield handheld device as a premium product to OUYA's budget offering. Plus, why sell the latest tech at a cut price when they can sell it at a premium to other hardware makers (e.g. Madcatz Mojo or mobile phone and tablet manufacturers)? Unless OUYA were to offer a budget Tegra 4 device and a premium priced Tegra 5 device, (though that would probably just get confusing for consumers and compound fragmentation issues for devs), OUYA will always be sporting last year's mobile tech.

cthulhu
11-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Actually, NVidia are pushing their own Shield handheld device as a premium product to OUYA's budget offering.

All the more reason the Ouya 2 should be based around something more powerful than a Tegra 4. How else are they going to stand out?

Plus, why sell the latest tech at a cut price when they can sell it at a premium to other hardware makers (e.g. Madcatz Mojo or mobile phone and tablet manufacturers)?

To gain a foothold. And the hardware Ouya use doesn't necessarily have to be suitable for a mobile device. What I'm getting at here is this: what if Ouya could get somewhat defective Tegra 5 SoCs at a sufficiently discounted price from Nvidia, e.g. running them at stable settings consumed more than the specified amount of power and/or they wouldn't run correctly when non-actively cooled and were therefore unusable for the vast majority of their intended applications but which could be made to work perfectly in a device like the Ouya?

Unless OUYA were to offer a budget Tegra 4 device and a premium priced Tegra 5 device, (though that would probably just get confusing for consumers and compound fragmentation issues for devs), OUYA will always be sporting last year's mobile tech.

Using last year's mobile tech might be a good approach some years from now, i.e. after the market has slowed somewhat in terms of improved performance per generation, but I don't think that doing this will work at the moment although I wouldn't have thought so prior to the Ouya's release.

Schizophretard
11-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Does this mean you would buy a Tegra 3-based Ouya 2 as long as it was done right, like it should've been in the first place?

Kinda but I think all future OUYA's should just be called OUYA. I'll try again to express what should be focused on with the next iteration of the OUYA. They shouldn't put all of OUYA 1.0's issues to the side and come out with an OUYA 2.0 that carries over OUYA 1.0's issues with it and all they basically do is add new chips to have OUYA 2.0 games. The next iteration should focus on fixing all the issues with OUYA 1.0 first. That is where they should start from. The OUYA 1.0 part of the OUYA 2.0 should feel like an upgraded OUYA 1.0. Like lets say OUYA was to compile a top 10 or top 20 list of common issues people have with OUYA 1.0.'s hardware. The next iteration should try to mark off most of those issues for around $99. If they mark off all the list and have money left over to still fit what would make it an OUYA 2.0 for around $99 then I would say go for it. But if they mark off the list and add in the chips to make it an OUYA 2.0 with a price something like $250 then I think they should wait until the next iteration after that to make the OUYA 2.0 when the price of doing all of that is lower. To put it another way, the next iteration of the OUYA should be a perfected OUYA 1.0 at the very least and at the most that plus an OUYA 2.0 if it will be for a cheap price. When I buy the next iteration of the OUYA, I want it to feel like it is what I want the OUYA to be now and if 2.0 is added on to that then I would just see it as a bonus but a better OUYA 1.0 is the mandatory part. To kind of spin it around many want an OUYA 2.0 that is backwards compatible with OUYA 1.0 games. I want a much better OUYA 1.0 that is forward compatible with OUYA 2.0 games only if that forward compatibility is cheap enough. Does that clear it up?

James Andrew Coote
11-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Btw, if people are wondering, from a technical perspective, it'd be almost impossible for OUYA 2.0 to not be backward compatible. Android is backward compatible by design, and since NVidia own shares in OUYA, they probably can't get a better deal from another chipset provider that they can for Tegra stuff (and even then, it'd only be certain specific functions to Tegra, that most games don't use anyway, that'd be unsupported).

Kinda but I think all future OUYA's should just be called OUYA. I'll try again to express what should be focused on with the next iteration of the OUYA. They shouldn't put all of OUYA 1.0's issues to the side and come out with an OUYA 2.0 that carries over OUYA 1.0's issues with it and all they basically do is add new chips to have OUYA 2.0 games. The next iteration should focus on fixing all the issues with OUYA 1.0 first. That is where they should start from. The OUYA 1.0 part of the OUYA 2.0 should feel like an upgraded OUYA 1.0. Like lets say OUYA was to compile a top 10 or top 20 list of common issues people have with OUYA 1.0.'s hardware. The next iteration should try to mark off most of those issues for around $99. If they mark off all the list and have money left over to still fit what would make it an OUYA 2.0 for around $99 then I would say go for it. But if they mark off the list and add in the chips to make it an OUYA 2.0 with a price something like $250 then I think they should wait until the next iteration after that to make the OUYA 2.0 when the price of doing all of that is lower. To put it another way, the next iteration of the OUYA should be a perfected OUYA 1.0 at the very least and at the most that plus an OUYA 2.0 if it will be for a cheap price. When I buy the next iteration of the OUYA, I want it to feel like it is what I want the OUYA to be now and if 2.0 is added on to that then I would just see it as a bonus but a better OUYA 1.0 is the mandatory part. To kind of spin it around many want an OUYA 2.0 that is backwards compatible with OUYA 1.0 games. I want a much better OUYA 1.0 that is forward compatible with OUYA 2.0 games only if that forward compatibility is cheap enough. Does that clear it up?

I'm confident that OUYA have been, and will continue to make software improvements to fix many of the issues that the OUYA had when it was first released. Assuming they are taking the same approach with the hardware, it's not unreasonable to assume they are already working on fixing the things in OUYA 1 that were identified as a particular problem. Many of those things will require a redesign of the board inside the OUYA, at which point you might as well make other additions / improvements that are not just bug fixes. Things like an SD Card slot, extra RAM or using Tegra 4 as the basis for the board

The reason for changing the name when you do that is two fold. Firstly, it gives you an opportunity to publicly shout about how you've solved the OUYA's previous hardware problems. It's not as convincing to say "we've solved everything in the new version" if the new version and old version are in name and aesthetics, identical looking. Equally, you can advertise all the wonderful new features. This then becomes a marketing / sales opportunity. Most consumers are used to the idea of a "product launch", so you might as well take advantage of that, even if the hardware/software underneath is the result of iterative changes, rather than any great leap forward

Secondly, it helps with support issues. Consumers will know when they contact OUYA whether they bought an OUYA 1 or 2, but may not be able to tell you / remember / find on their console exactly which 1.103923 etc hardware version they have if you don't make the name change, print the new name on the side, have it look different etc etc

haikallp
11-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Aside from its hardware, I'd like the OUYA to be more intuitive. They need to polish the UI and add more customization options. Android is all about customizations yet the OUYA lacks this.

They also need some form of game library management

SlingShot
11-25-2013, 09:55 PM
With the way these chips are evolving OUYA 3 or 4 will be as powerful as the PS4 Xbone. Or at very least the PS3 xbox 360.

InvaderGames
11-25-2013, 11:55 PM
The only improovements a new version of the OUYA could bring are:
- Better performance for games, especially REAL 1080p support, and not hardcoded like it is now.
- Consecuently, better hardware, like wifi, bluetooth and peripheirals.
- Better controllers; responsiveness, DPAD, triggers, sticks, etc (I think Julie said those are already being worked on?)
- A different design of the box/case?
- MAAAYBE some UI improovements, but I guess we will see those over time, like on the latest update.

Also, back in the days when OUYA wasnt even out yet, Julie said they would like to make future releases of the OUYA compatible with the current case, so you could just buy the PCB and replace the old one, and it would be a cheaper upgrade than buying the whole thing over again. trough I have no idea if this still stands.. it was like a year ago..

Aside from its hardware, I'd like the OUYA to be more intuitive. They need to polish the UI and add more customization options. Android is all about customizations yet the OUYA lacks this.

Look at GameStick.. its not customizable, it is headed to a different direction than OUYA, its completely closed, just like big consoles.. Android doesnt matter, its the way the company puts the software in the box that makes it more customizable or open.

With the way these chips are evolving OUYA 3 or 4 will be as powerful as the PS4 Xbone. Or at very least the PS3 xbox 360.

Apples and Oranges.

Schizophretard
11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Btw, if people are wondering, from a technical perspective, it'd be almost impossible for OUYA 2.0 to not be backward compatible. Android is backward compatible by design, and since NVidia own shares in OUYA, they probably can't get a better deal from another chipset provider that they can for Tegra stuff (and even then, it'd only be certain specific functions to Tegra, that most games don't use anyway, that'd be unsupported).

That is good to know. I've heard people make the claim that newer chips would cause backwards compatibility issues but since it is an operating system that doesn't really make sense to me. It seems similar to claiming that if I bought a new computer, put my Ubuntu 13.10 on it, and then I would discover that Ubuntu 13.10 works perfectly fine but all the programs designed for it would somehow not work. Something like that happening would be the opposite of my expectations. I would expect that Ubuntu 13.10 programs that worked on my old computer would still work and programs that wouldn't work or wouldn't work well on my old computer would on my new one. If I updated computers, put the same things on it, it would freak me out if they didn't work. I would be expecting more compatibility and not less.

I'm confident that OUYA have been, and will continue to make software improvements to fix many of the issues that the OUYA had when it was first released.

Me too.

Assuming they are taking the same approach with the hardware, it's not unreasonable to assume they are already working on fixing the things in OUYA 1 that were identified as a particular problem. Many of those things will require a redesign of the board inside the OUYA, at which point you might as well make other additions / improvements that are not just bug fixes. Things like an SD Card slot, extra RAM or using Tegra 4 as the basis for the board

I agree but if they were to give me a survey with a list of things to "pimp my OUYA ride" there would be so many other things that I would pick before extra RAM or using Tegra 4:

USB 3.0 or more RAM/Tegra 4? USB 3.0
SD card slot or more RAM/Tegra 4? SD card slot
Head phone jack or more RAM/Tegra 4? Head phone jack
32GB internal storage or more RAM/Tegra 4? 32GB internal storage
A/V jacks or more RAM/Tegra 4? A/V jacks
Paddle controllers and light gun or more RAM/Tegra 4? Paddle controllers and light gun
Bullet proof clear case or more RAM/Tegra 4? Bullet proof clear case
Include gift card or more RAM/Tegra 4? Include gift card
More USB ports or more RAM/Tegra 4? More USB ports
Two external WIFI anteenas to make it look like an alien space helmet or more RAM/Tegra 4? Two external WIFI anteenas to make it look like an alien space helmet
Ability to launch nukes from the Moon or more RAM/Tegra 4? I'll just take this as the only added feature!

I'm sure that is a little much but more RAM/Tegra 4 is way down there for me.

The reason for changing the name when you do that is two fold. Firstly, it gives you an opportunity to publicly shout about how you've solved the OUYA's previous hardware problems. It's not as convincing to say "we've solved everything in the new version" if the new version and old version are in name and aesthetics, identical looking. Equally, you can advertise all the wonderful new features. This then becomes a marketing / sales opportunity. Most consumers are used to the idea of a "product launch", so you might as well take advantage of that, even if the hardware/software underneath is the result of iterative changes, rather than any great leap forward

Secondly, it helps with support issues. Consumers will know when they contact OUYA whether they bought an OUYA 1 or 2, but may not be able to tell you / remember / find on their console exactly which 1.103923 etc hardware version they have if you don't make the name change, print the new name on the side, have it look different etc etc

I don't think shouting publicly about how you've solved the OUYA's previous hardware problems it a good selling point and putting the number 2 in its title is like saying,"Our first movie sucks but we fixed that by making a better sequel!". I rather what is being shouted is,"This movie is getting better and better!" Everything else you describe can still be done with it still being an OUYA. Just look at the white 16 GB holiday limited edition OUYA. It has all the attributes that you describe plus is shouting what I said,"This movie is getting better and better!" and yet is still just an OUYA. It isn't a sequel or next generation. It is an example of just an OUYA getting better within the same generation.

It is also an example of what I was saying about doing everything at a low price point. People have already voiced concerns over it being $129 dollars,"$30 more for 8 more GB?!" It is also an example of why I'm skeptical that an OUYA that addresses all the current hardware issues/desires plus having more RAM/Tegra 4 added would be cheap even if they waited until Dec. 31, 2014 to release it. In my mind I'm imagining an OUYA better than a Madcatz M.O.J.O and doubting I would see $99 on it. If it had more RAM/Tegra 4 then it seems like to keep the price around $99 that would have to be the only thing added or not that much more added. OUYA 1.0 is already near half way through its generation but on its website they have only added a $5 gift card to the $99 OUYA, 16 GB and a cool white look to the $129 OUYA, and on Target.com the price of the extra controller has only dropped to $41.99 which is probably just to clear out the extra stock. I'm sure there will be more holiday sales and so forth but sometimes next year there will be more RAM/Tegra 4 without sacrificing other things for $99? I'm not seeing that. The reason OUYA 1.0 has hardware issues in the first place is because they have already had to make sacrifices just to get 1GB of RAM/Tegra 3 for $99. I don't want to see history repeat itself every year while at the same time every year it is made out to be a sequel. Sticking with 1GB of RAM/Tegra 3 for one more year would give more elbow room to fit more at a $99 price point than if more RAM/Tegra 4 was added. If they could fit in more RAM/Tegra 4 without sacrificing anything or significantly raising the price then fine. I just think OUYA should add it only after they ask themselves,"What more can be added to this within this price point without having to sacrifice anything? Hmm... Well, it seems we completely pimped out this iteration of the OUYA. How it already is will get our fans practically begging for it. We should definitely have much less customer support issues than with the last one because this is some pretty good quality. That give me an idea. Since the last one has a year warranty and we dropped that whole naming it OUYA 2.0 idea it would make sense that any replacement we give out would be this iteration like we did with the new iteration of the controller. That would be a pretty sweet deal. We would get loyal customers for life doing that. We could even refurbish them and either sale them at a discount or just donate them to developers as dev kits. We could even expand on that and when we sell this iteration of the console we could give a trade in value for the last iteration. Then those we could refurbish too and either sale them at a discount or just donate them to developers as dev kits. That would definitely beat them just throwing the old one away if Game Stop won't take them as trade ins. There might even be some potential there to be able to donate a refurbished one to every single developer when we go to gaming expos. What developer could deny how open we are by doing something like that? People who care about the environment would dig that too. It would be a recycling program that gamers, developers, us, and the planet would benefit greatly from. It is already the greenest console because of its low power consumption but that would be so much better. I still think we can top that though. There has to be something more. I know! We could add more RAM and Tegra 4! That would be icing on the cake! Julie, call the president! Tell him that Black Friday should be changed to OUYA Day! You might want to call the U.N. too! Santa is going to need some help distributing this across the globe and I think they should know that Israeli and Palestinian kids will be playing OUYA with each other!" :D

Anyway, not having more RAM/Tegra 4 and not having a number 2 in the name is not one of OUYA's issues. If they are then that is just saying that the first movie sucks. I think that would hurt OUYA 1.0 developers more than helping them. Imagine if more RAM/Tegra 4 and the number 2 is associated with that before a game like the Free The Games Fund game Neverending Nightmares is released. It would have the appearance of obsolescence the day it is released. OUYA: "We have a new exclusive for our last generation console! Just ignore our OUYA 2.0 launch titles!" I rather them say,"We have a new exclusive for our console that just keeps getting better and better!" Giving the impression that a new generation is coming out every year is telling developers,"Your game will be obsolete within a year or obsolete when it is launched. The next generation launch titles will slam your game into the dirt and you into a homeless shelter. But we are open to your game." That makes no sense to me at all. I don't see the rush and don't see the need for a number 2. This is an indie console with small development teams. Some are only one person. They need to try to keep an even playing field and give sufficient time to allow the creation of and then the release of a game. It would also have the benefit of the library of games getting bigger instead of thinking of the games as separate libraries( OUYA 1.0 games, 2.0 games, 3.0 games). They could all just be OUYA games even if the upgrades would qualify as being called OUYA 2.0, 3.0,.... They wouldn't even have to say that it is backwards compatible which has a negative connotation with the games it is backwards compatible with(old obsolete games). They could just say,"Our new upgrade to the OUYA is still compatible with its entire library." I like the idea of making the console better and better every year. But the best time to add more RAM/Tegra 4, 5, 6, or whatever would be when development for 1GB of RAM/Tegra 3 on the OUYA starts to slow down and the developers are starting to really push the limits of it. The best time to add the number 2 would be never. I don't ever want to hear a developer say,"Update! MY OUYA 1.0 game will be an OUYA 2.0 launch title!" It isn't necessary. It could still have a model number on the bottom, look different, and so forth but I think it is better to think of them as upgrades like when the firmware on our OUYA's updates. Every time we get an update I don't think,"OUYA OS 1, OUYA OS 2, OUYA OS 3." I think of them as updates to the same OUYA OS. I think the hardware should be the same way. The Sega Genesis/Mega Drive lasted around 11 years, the Atari 2600 lasted around 14 years, and the Nintendo NES/Famicom lasted around 20. They all had different iterations in those time periods. I rather see the OUYA break some of these records with something like 30 years instead of 30 years from now they call it,"OUYA 30". OUYA: A New Kind of Game Console, Another New Kind of Game Console, Another New Kind of Game Console, Another New Kind of Game Console.... With a yearly numbering system like this OUYA should try to get the rights to use Count von Count from Sesame Street as the mascot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM

timmytot666
11-26-2013, 03:06 PM
So many letters. Moar ram/tegra 5 pllz.

InvaderGames
11-26-2013, 03:30 PM
RAM is not a problem, nor even a need. most Android systems can go just fine with 1gb, more is just to couple with larger processors or multitasking needs (the later wich OUYA doesnt have), and most of times that goes to waste

Also, James is right saying there wont be compatibility issues with a new hardware, that is one of the marvels of Android developement; an apk can work on ny device as long as you take some precaution with the screen size and input methods, wich, on a TV console wont differ much if at all.

The only compatibility 'issue' some people are scared off is the NVidia drivers; games like Shadowgun take advantage of those to get a performance boost, and people fear that without them games my not work. This is not true, especially if the new processor is better than the Tegra 3 (wich I hope, I suposse, and we all want it to be)

timmytot666
11-26-2013, 03:38 PM
The ONLY reason I'm saying more ram/a better chip is so I can play gamecube games on the ouya.

Eldon.McGuinness
11-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Two external WIFI anteenas to make it look like an alien space helmet or more RAM/Tegra 4? Two external WIFI anteenas to make it look like an alien space helmet

I want this, I want this, I want this...Oh and I want this! I would totally buy a green case and slap two alien eye stickers on my OUYA at that point!

Schizophretard
11-27-2013, 02:05 AM
I want this, I want this, I want this...Oh and I want this! I would totally buy a green case and slap two alien eye stickers on my OUYA at that point!

I was imagining something like this but cubed:
http://merninja.com/Merninja/Production_Blog/Entries/2012/5/26_Robot_Monster_files/DSC03362.jpg

Maybe even make it look like a little wooden console tube TV with "The Revolution Will Be Televised" on the fake screen? That would cool and funny. :)

flamepanther
11-27-2013, 09:43 AM
One to two USB ports on the front, in addition to the one in the back. That would conflict with being able to use the same cases though :(

Tycho-y
11-28-2013, 01:02 AM
I like the hardware specs from the CuBox-i2Ultra or CuBox-i4Pro http://cubox-i.com/table . Thats probably close to what the next Ouya will have.

cthulhu
11-28-2013, 05:35 AM
I like the hardware specs from the CuBox-i2Ultra or CuBox-i4Pro http://cubox-i.com/table . Thats probably close to what the next Ouya will have.

Those have slower clocked CPUs than the Ouya.

Prometheus
11-28-2013, 10:06 PM
I think they need to look for power. The more power, the more pretty and less mobile it will look for developers. They don't necessarily need to add a "2" next to OUYA. They can add another name next to OUYA, like OUYA Next or OUYA Cube. Those were totally random names by the way :tongue-new:

Brad Watson
11-29-2013, 02:24 AM
A media remote option. I bought the ouya strictly for xbmc but would like a better remote for it. Currently using the f10 mele but it's a bit of a hack.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Victor Coleiro
11-29-2013, 06:08 AM
A media remote option. I bought the ouya strictly for xbmc but would like a better remote for it. Currently using the f10 mele but it's a bit of a hack.

Agreed

Tycho-y
11-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Those have slower clocked CPUs than the Ouya.

That looks about right. The naming is confusing me. So the i.MX6 Quad CPU is identical to Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9? Its just a marketing name? Anyone knows?

Thats solved as soon as someone manages to port the CEC lib to Ouya/Android. As long as you have a CEC supporting TV that is. I would even pay someone doing this cause i am tired of using the ouya controler or the xbmc android remote (too laggy).

JussumDooder
11-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I think some start and select buttons would be really nice for emulation. :D I know L3 and R3 are fine for this, but more button mapping options is always a good thing. :friendly_wink:

Hydrus
11-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Brainstorm: I think the controller should have the option to switch between concave analog sticks or convex analog sticks. Two analog sticks per controller. Or they can at least sell their own official colored ones and make a few bucks. I'd say they can bundle them with faceplates. Red faceplates with red analog sticks. Not a bad idea.

Edit:

That didn't make much sense. The controllers already support that. I guess what I meant to say is that both type of A-sticks should be included with the controller.

flamepanther
12-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I think some start and select buttons would be really nice for emulation. :D I know L3 and R3 are fine for this, but more button mapping options is always a good thing. :friendly_wink:

That would be nice.

jlenoconel
12-03-2013, 03:23 AM
It should really be called OUYA 2. Hopefully it will be a lot more powerful than this last version. I like my OUYA, but it definitely needs to be more powerful to handle gaming properly.

Killswitch
12-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Maybe they should call it

Fixed Ouya :p

updawg
12-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Twouya

Also, I want the next design to be modular. The base should be the power supply/sd slot/usb ports/network port/wifi card and then when the next generation of Ouya comes we just plug in the new version with the upgraded SOC to keep down on cost.

Boerseun
12-03-2013, 09:24 PM
It should really be called OUYA 2. Hopefully it will be a lot more powerful than this last version. I like my OUYA, but it definitely needs to be more powerful to handle gaming properly.

OUYA is powerful enough to handle most of the best looking Android games just fine. Problem is those games aren't officially sold through the Discover store.

OUYA 2 can have Tegra 4 but software deals are what it needs most. I mean, can you imagine launching the console with a three month timed-exclusivity deal on Modern Combat 5? That would be HUUUUUGE.

iVoid
12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I would like to see an audio output jack and an option to run audio through that instead of HDMI. I understand why it wasn't included, but the only HD input I have on my TV is DVI, so I use an HDMI to DVI adapter, which cannot transmit the audio. I have no idea what these games sound like....

flamepanther
12-06-2013, 06:16 AM
After the fun of trying to install The Cave before today's update, I'd like for Ouya 2.0 to include more internal storage and/or USB 3.0 for external. As far as making it more powerful, I'll be satisfied if it can just run Sonic 4 Episode II without any frame drops.

derty
12-07-2013, 03:05 AM
I agree with Schizo, OUYA 2.0 sounds the best :D
It goes along perfect from a new android device stand point as well as giving an obvious "NEW" seperation from the 2 consoles upon release. And I also agree they should release it sometime before Christmas next year to maximize profits ;)

Starfighter
12-07-2013, 08:26 AM
My list of things I want for Ouya 2:

Pink controllers
Beer coasters

Diet-Coke
12-11-2013, 10:24 AM
The main thing for me that needs to Change is WiFi-Performance!!!
That's actually the reason why I sold my Ouya...

More USB-ports (3.0) would be great too and a Tegra 4 SoC.

flamepanther
12-11-2013, 11:32 AM
The main thing for me that needs to Change is WiFi-Performance!!!
That's actually the reason why I sold my Ouya...

More USB-ports (3.0) would be great too and a Tegra 4 SoC.

Rumor has it that an all-plastic case can fix that on the existing model. I'm not able to confirm that though.

John
12-13-2013, 12:08 PM
I expect to see better WiFi and Bluetooth chips. Two gigs of of ram and the snapdragon 800.

What I would like to see is a modified Tegra5 chip. According to nvidia the vanilla T5's gpu will be slightly more powerful then the ps3. So a modified T5 with an extra set GPU cores would not only be powerful it would be unique to the ouya. Power alone won't sell many ouya but consumers are obsessed with bits and bytes so if ouya can provide an unique setup that you can't get on phones/tablets/other micro consoles and be more powerful then any of ouya's competition it would certainly grab interest. Besides fighting the "just plug your phone into the t.v" argument it would also be able to stream and emulate games better(maybe even pick up nvidia's grid cloud streaming). Another big reason to make what I admit would be a huge leap of faith, is that the upcoming peripherals would work much better with more powerful chips.
The obvious con is the price point. However many companies are set to release 64bit chips next year and it is speculated that nvidia will push the T6 to release next year to remain competitive. If they do then they may sell the t5 at discount to fuel r&d for t6 thought that's likely just hopeful thinking.
Something I just thought of is the capability of making your own games directly on the ouya with AIDE. There are also 3d modeling apps like SubDivFormer and SpaceDraw that would work better with a T5. I have tried them and they work well enough as far as I can tell, but as I'm not an artist I barely know how to work the software let alone make any real use of it. I bring it up because of the potential to eliminate the need for a PC to make ouya games and apps. Not saying it wouldn't still be easier and far better to use a PC but some people may prefer doing everything natively

To the people who wish to see a new/better browser I have a feeling we will just have to wait for a 3rd party browser.

offroad
12-13-2013, 12:24 PM
5ghz wifi. Need to get out of 2.4ghz Stone Age people.

Full on TV remote with full XBMC comparability. Including ability to launch and shut down apps.

Full integrated browser with flash that will be updated and can run in kiosk mode.

average_male
12-18-2013, 09:46 PM
To increase the marketing footprint, these would be a nice addition:

1) GPIO would be nice, just like the RPi and Arduino. Thinking home-made robots, 3D printers/CNC and other DIY projects.

2) IR Receiver - (38 KHz) than can turn On/Off the Ouya II and has an API to capture IR signals for development (user apps to map IR codes (for a variety of manufactures) to keyboard key strokes, etc)

3) Internal header pins for additional USB devices (with 5V always on rail/header pin)

All of the other requests like more RAM, CPU power, Wifi range and such are natural attributes of an evolving multipurpose electronic device and really shouldn't be requested. Price points for these items (and successors) are always going down.

Making the device more useful to a larger group of people would be a direction for increasing profit and taking out competitors like the above mentioned and more.

dougunder
12-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Hardware recovery!!!

IR Receiver

Playstore

Um, an honest company?

Killswitch
12-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Guess I'll jump in even though I think Ouya 2 talk now is way too early.

Keep improving.
Keep us in the loop.

SOCIAL FEATURES.
Why not just have Nuggeta do an overlay and then you have everything needed.

No sign of the Google Play availability. People can sideload phone games if they need to.

Improve signal.

Keeneye47
12-23-2013, 07:06 AM
What I would want with the OUYA II

1. Improved Controller. The triggers feel a little stiff, the delay is sometimes an issue and I feel very clumsy when I have to replace the batteries since I have to remove the face plates.

2. Better WIFI capability. Unless you are right next to or close to your router, it's hard to download, buy and even PLAY games at times, since some of these games need a constant internet connection.

3. Better memory. I know you can buy an external 32g flash drive to increase the memory but I shouldn't HAVE to do that. I am not asking much, maybe increase to 16g or maybe (Kind of a stretch) 32g.

4. More USBs. One USB isn't enough at times. I have not run into too many instances when I needed more then one USB, but when it happens, I kind of get annoyed.

5. More RAM. I still run into a few games where the OUYA slows down pretty badly (Ex: Ravensword). Maybe increase it to about 4 GIG'S of RAM.

6. Backwards Capability. I would be a little sad that if the games I bought on OUYA cannot be played on OUYA II or have to be re-buy em. Hopefully ya will consider this.

7. Better interaction with others. I would love if the OUYA II allowed you to interact more with other OUYA owners. Like compare stats in a particular game, see games your friend has been playing and maybe see games your friend has liked/bought.

Other then the stuff named above, I don't know. Hope you do well with OUYA II!

Good luck!

flamepanther
12-23-2013, 07:40 AM
5. More RAM. I still run into a few games where the OUYA slows down pretty badly (Ex: Ravensword). Maybe increase it to about 4 GIG'S of RAM.I'm not so sure this is a RAM issue. OUYA already has more RAM than a PS3. It's more likely to be due to CPU/GPU limitations.

Nightfall
12-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Enough grunt to emulate GameCube games as well as N64 games a little more smoothly. Other than that just polish. Better dpad on the controller, better external USB stick/HDD functionality, turn console off from the controller, etc Nothing that everyone else hasn't mentioned already.

flamepanther
12-26-2013, 04:43 AM
The first thing I would fix on the controller is the analog triggers. The D-pad could be improved, but it's already above average.

Stage
12-26-2013, 11:18 PM
- Much better wifi
- Quieter fan
- Better specs to run emulators
- Continued excellent XBMC support
- More than 2 USB ports
- Native pairing of remotes specifically Mele f10 Pro
- Make the thumbsticks parallel with each other like the PlayStation controller
- Better UI
- Turn console on/off from controller

rosse119
12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
After using an Ouya for some time, I worry about certain Ouya owners getting left out as new games will come out for Tegra 4 which won't play well on the current Ouya.

My wish list for Ouya 2 is.

Tegra 4
4 gb ram
16gb
SD Card slot
Soft press buttons on controller
Better fan maybe at the side to let air out better

Price point of around 120

But how about giving current owners an option to buy the internals for less then 100 and be able to have the upgraded one each year. I don't think a new one is needed myself as retro/Indie titles don't have to have cuttings edge graphics.

flamepanther
12-27-2013, 01:53 PM
- Make the thumbsticks parallel with each other like the PlayStation controllerIf the future games library is going to be primarily 2D and not use analog, then maybe. If it's primarily going to be 3D or 2D with analog controls, then please, dear God no. The most used input should be closest to the grip. Sony's layout was fine for PS1, but they should have switched positions way back with the PS2. Nintendo figured this out. Sega firgured it out. Microsoft figured it out (probably from Sega). Even Pellican figured it out--their PS3 controllers use the corrected layout for 3D-oriented consoles instead of Sony's legacy "mutant SNES/N64 hybrid" design.

4 gb ram

SD Card slotAre there phones with 4 GB of RAM already? That seems really excessive. Even PS3 level games don't use that much.

An SD slot might provide some slight convenience, but it would just duplicate the function of the existing USB support and might make external app storage more complicated. Considering we can already connect an SD card via a USB adaptor, I'm not sure this would be worth it.

Everything else you said sounds good.

onibakagaijin
01-06-2014, 03:02 AM
First and foresmost, a trade up program for current OUYA owners where we could send in our console for the next one at a discounted rate. Being that its android based as long as our games are kept either externally or on the cloud (or both) we should be able to re-download and still play our old downloads but on the new hardware.

Next, please make sure the underlying android version is the most up to date if possible. I can see this as being able to fix problems and performance issues. Especially since now kitkat and above should be able to allow for increased performance.

For the marketplace/console browser please keep the current setup but tweaked more like the xbm. Sorry, but theirs has a good layout. I would love to see games put in an alphabetical arrangement along with genre. It would also be great to have a deals section with either daily, weekly or monthly deals. Along with this if a push for apps such as netflix, hulu, amazon video were available I can see an increase in ownership. These would make for a great option for a home entertainment piece without having to root to get these options.

If its sticking with the Tegra 4:

Tegra 4 (not 4i) - overclocked if able to be done safely to either 2 GHz or higher
4 gbs ram max or 3 gbs min
32 gbs storage upgradable via usb or SD/HCSD/SHCSD
2 front facing usb / 2-3 back facing usb
internal wifi antenna with option of attaching external antenna
maybe different casing material (plastic or composite?) to allow better wifi signal
round out controller more (physical shape) so its more comfortable
A horizontal instead of vertical alignment for connections. If the consoles shape changes to allow this that would be fine.
Controller with a rechargeable internal battery or at least this be an option for future/separate purchase. If this was an option then an integrated charging dock would be awesome.

Lastly, please make sure app prices are more in line with whats seen on the Google Play store and Amazon. Kinda a slap to see a game as .99 from the get go on either and see it for 4.99+ on the ouya. Other than the custom console overlay its still android so there really isnt that big of a reason for the upcharge as controller support is now common place.

This is my off the top of my head list....the swap/ trade up program would be awesome though...just sayin..wink wink

Orionsangel
01-07-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the most important thing Ouya should be focused on right now, is releasing an official Ouya touchscreen app for Android devices. We need a way to control sideloaded apps. Robot Unicorn Attack 2 for example works great on the Ouya, but too bad you can't play it. There's all these great apps we can sideload on Ouya, but there's no way to play them. A touchscreen app for Ouya would increase the amount of apps I can play on Ouya. Get on this Ouya developers!!!

Matthew Holland
01-12-2014, 01:17 AM
A SD card slot doesn't bother me, but definately 32GB as a system size.

Maybe more connectivity with Google Play as per licenses and stuff, like how Legends of Yore and Ittle Dew have their GP titles. You should be able to port them over. (( I know you can with LoY. ))

Titles like Heroes of Loot definitely come to mind too.

Otherwise than that, what do I want to see with an Ouya 2? I don't want to see the Ouya "1" be pushed to the backburner as far as games releases. I use mine as an emulator box, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the store too.

Athlor
01-12-2014, 04:20 AM
The SD card slot is a no brainer because Tegras already support the hardware with no additional chips, all they'd need is the physical connector (<$1) and the software mods, which they should be familiar with by now.

Outlander999
01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
I think OUYA INC shoud shock the masses.
It only can happen with Tegra K1.

An Ouya2 with Tegra4 will live in its niche as the first one.
If Uhrman & c. truly believe in the "revolution", they need to do a bigger step.
K1.

P.s.
for the name, I think the obvious "OUYA2" is ok!

spinal
01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
I want the software issues sorted out in the OUYA before anyone starts thinking about the OUYA2. I'm getting tired of manufacturers these days spitting out half finished products them moving on to the next one without ever giving their customers what they ask for.

I for one will not be buying the OUYA2 any time soon. There is still plenty wrong with the OUYA that can be fixed in SOFTWARE. Discover needs sorted out for one thing. inconsistent USB HDD support is another, lack of analog audio an other ($2 for a USB audio device which works fine when the HDMI is unplugged, means SOFTWARE ISSUE). Controller bugs are a big problem for many people, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I love the OUYA, but my suggestion is FINISH IT BEFORE MAKING A SECOND ONE!

Nitrogen_Widget
01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
I want the software issues sorted out in the OUYA before anyone starts thinking about the OUYA2. I'm getting tired of manufacturers these days spitting out half finished products them moving on to the next one without ever giving their customers what they ask for.

I for one will not be buying the OUYA2 any time soon. There is still plenty wrong with the OUYA that can be fixed in SOFTWARE. Discover needs sorted out for one thing. inconsistent USB HDD support is another, lack of analog audio an other ($2 for a USB audio device which works fine when the HDMI is unplugged, means SOFTWARE ISSUE). Controller bugs are a big problem for many people, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I love the OUYA, but my suggestion is FINISH IT BEFORE MAKING A SECOND ONE!

I've been using mine for a few weeks.

I've seen the issue on corrupted hard drives but is it the ouya software or is it the usb interface or an android issue?
Other than that I haven't seen many issues.

what you are asking is for something the system never claimed.
It isn't an issue.
It's a want.

I honestly don't know people who use HDMI video with analog audio.

I think OUYA INC shoud shock the masses.
It only can happen with Tegra K1.

An Ouya2 with Tegra4 will live in its niche as the first one.
If Uhrman & c. truly believe in the "revolution", they need to do a bigger step.
K1.

P.s.
for the name, I think the obvious "OUYA2" is ok!

This. It has to be a K1 and it has to ship with some unreal engine based eyecandy.

spinal
01-12-2014, 05:34 PM
what you are asking is for something the system never claimed.
It isn't an issue.
It's a want.

I honestly don't know people who use HDMI video with analog audio.

Indeed, but there are plenty of OUYA owners who have their OUYA plugged into their computer monitor for developing. Is it such a difficult task to have something that partially works to work a little better?

flammablepiss
01-13-2014, 12:13 PM
That list has pretty much all i'd ask for... another usb port check, tegra 4 check, more internal storage check, 2gb of ram check.
Saying that I wouldn't buy it because i'm happy with what the OUYA does already. There needs to be a selling point for me because the OUYA is just some quirky fun and its been done now. Will we really see any difference in graphics and performance on an android system? 1gb of ram is still plenty for android gaming and tegra 3 has hardly been pushed as it is. So i'm sitting on the fence on this one... for now.

Monster
01-13-2014, 03:24 PM
The names in the poll don't sound catchy. It needs a catchy name. I can't think of anything catchy... OUTWO? No... OU... I got nothing.

Kaimega
01-13-2014, 03:33 PM
The names in the poll don't sound catchy. It needs a catchy name. I can't think of anything catchy... OUTWO? No... OU... I got nothing.

Twouya?

Outlander999
01-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Abotu the name...for me uhhhyahhhtwo is OK.

I have both weeiuh and uhhhyahhh... sounds both strange but I like them both XD

thedirkenator95
01-15-2014, 05:16 PM
I don't own an OUYA yet, and I don't know if now is the right time because of the new OUYA coming out I should maybe wait. But when the second console does come out, I would like to, of course, see updated internals, 2x USB ports, a microSD slot or a regular SDHC slot. I"ve seen Chinese knock-off consoles where it's just a controller and an SD card slot to play emulated games. I'm not saying the controller has to have an SD card slot, but just giving the consumer that option to add more files or expand disk space with either a USB flashdrive or SD card.

I don't know about the controller (since I don't have one) but I'm sure whatever they do to the next one will be really good and beneficial.

Kaimega
01-15-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't own an OUYA yet, and I don't know if now is the right time because of the new OUYA coming out I should maybe wait. But when the second console does come out, I would like to, of course, see updated internals, 2x USB ports, a microSD slot or a regular SDHC slot. I"ve seen Chinese knock-off consoles where it's just a controller and an SD card slot to play emulated games. I'm not saying the controller has to have an SD card slot, but just giving the consumer that option to add more files or expand disk space with either a USB flashdrive or SD card.

I don't know about the controller (since I don't have one) but I'm sure whatever they do to the next one will be really good and beneficial.

The console is expandable currently. You can add harddrives to it and whatnot. Also, anytime is a right time :p. Think of it this way, if they do yearly releases, there will be people always saying "I'll wait for next release". Those people will wait forever because they will say that every release :D

thedirkenator95
01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
I would like to see improvements with the controller. I want rechargeable battery packs, rumble motors, improved dpad, improved triggers and a port so I can plug it to my PC and charge the batteries too.

since the console supports other controllers like a wired XB360 and PS3, I, too, think there should be a wired controller for those who prefer it and if you wanna play PC games with that controller

Things I'd like to see:

-Better physical build (The Micro USB slot on mine, which is a retail console, just broke off while testing the samples. That's just silly.)
-SD Card Slot
-Tegra 4
-moar ram
-Cool new case design(s)
-Backwards compatibility with games AND cases (i.e., you can put an OUYA 1 in an Ouya 2 case, or mayhaps vice versa.)
-Headphone jack
-Digital Audio Jack

What about webcam capability? Have a Skype/Oovoo app compatible for the ouya so we can use those with a webcam in the USB ports.

first and foresmost, a trade up program for current ouya owners where we could send in our console for the next one at a discounted rate. Being that its android based as long as our games are kept either externally or on the cloud (or both) we should be able to re-download and still play our old downloads but on the new hardware.

Next, please make sure the underlying android version is the most up to date if possible. I can see this as being able to fix problems and performance issues. Especially since now kitkat and above should be able to allow for increased performance.

For the marketplace/console browser please keep the current setup but tweaked more like the xbm. Sorry, but theirs has a good layout. I would love to see games put in an alphabetical arrangement along with genre. It would also be great to have a deals section with either daily, weekly or monthly deals. Along with this if a push for apps such as netflix, hulu, amazon video were available i can see an increase in ownership. These would make for a great option for a home entertainment piece without having to root to get these options.

If its sticking with the tegra 4:

Tegra 4 (not 4i) - overclocked if able to be done safely to either 2 ghz or higher
4 gbs ram max or 3 gbs min
32 gbs storage upgradable via usb or sd/hcsd/shcsd
2 front facing usb / 2-3 back facing usb
internal wifi antenna with option of attaching external antenna
maybe different casing material (plastic or composite?) to allow better wifi signal
round out controller more (physical shape) so its more comfortable
a horizontal instead of vertical alignment for connections. If the consoles shape changes to allow this that would be fine.
Controller with a rechargeable internal battery or at least this be an option for future/separate purchase. If this was an option then an integrated charging dock would be awesome.

Lastly, please make sure app prices are more in line with whats seen on the google play store and amazon. Kinda a slap to see a game as .99 from the get go on either and see it for 4.99+ on the ouya. Other than the custom console overlay its still android so there really isnt that big of a reason for the upcharge as controller support is now common place.

This is my off the top of my head list....the swap/ trade up program would be awesome though...just sayin..wink wink

get this man a cookie!!

Hello, I merged your posts. Please use the Edit button next time. Thanks! - Kaim

Schizophretard
01-16-2014, 12:51 AM
The console is expandable currently. You can add harddrives to it and whatnot. Also, anytime is a right time :p. Think of it this way, if they do yearly releases, there will be people always saying "I'll wait for next release". Those people will wait forever because they will say that every release :D

It could almost be a year from now around the holiday season when the next iteration of the OUYA is released. That is a long time not to enjoy the games that are on it and the games that will be released before then. Also, it will be backwards compatible, there will still be games being released for the current iteration, and it could be a while after the release before most current OUYA owners even see a need to upgrade. Most OUYA owners may not feel the need to upgrade until a year and a half from now or something like that. So, if there may not be a need for current owners to upgrade for quite a while then it seems like someone currently interested would benefit from buying one now.

toasterkiddd
01-27-2014, 08:22 PM
well i want a new case, i don't want to think im buying two of the same thing!

TheJesBro
01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
well i want a new case, i don't want to think im buying two of the same thing!

The Nouya (ha!) will most likely be plastic based on Julie's comments about the problems and added cost with aluminum. Since they have already done the white console, it would be great if they used the same colors that they used for the controller plates as color options.

Also, I have a theory that they tested the market with the more expensive white console and the CALAMITY $40 off code. If you assume/guess they sold close to the same number of each, the average price is $95, which is about average retail. Based on the positive response from the white console, they will probably be adding storage and breaking the $99 price point.... again, just a theory!

Killswitch
01-29-2014, 04:13 PM
The Nouya (ha!) will most likely be plastic based on Julie's comments about the problems and added cost with aluminum. Since they have already done the white console, it would be great if they used the same colors that they used for the controller plates as color options.

Also, I have a theory that they tested the market with the more expensive white console and the CALAMITY $40 off code. If you assume/guess they sold close to the same number of each, the average price is $95, which is about average retail. Based on the positive response from the white console, they will probably be adding storage and breaking the $99 price point.... again, just a theory!Sound theory. The white could have been used to see consumer tolerance. Though I still want one dammit...

Nitrogen_Widget
01-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Sound theory. The white could have been used to see consumer tolerance. Though I still want one dammit...

but..but..but..they are copying/insulting/gloming off the "success" of the Sega Dreamcast.
Such an affront!

:rolleyes-new:

digital_cal
02-03-2014, 10:41 PM
OUYA 2 :( a little disappointing, more OUYA 1.1
Glad wireless performance will be improved
Wasn't expecting K1 chip due to price but a something a little more powerful would have been nice.
A quieter fan is needed or even better replace with heatsink
Pleased they improved the controller, but clearly not enough as the trackpad is still badly positioned and easily accidentally activated
I suppose, I should be pleased that my OUYA woun't be defunct by the OUYA 2

Killswitch
02-03-2014, 10:47 PM
OUYA 2 :( a little disappointing, more OUYA 1.1
Glad wireless performance will be improved
Wasn't expecting K1 chip due to price but a something a little more powerful would have been nice.
A quieter fan is needed or even better replace with heatsink
Pleased they improved the controller, but clearly not enough as the trackpad is still badly positioned and easily accidentally activated
I suppose, I should be pleased that my OUYA woun't be defunct by the OUYA 2
????????
Ouya 2 if there is one isn't even close to a reality yet.
You must be talking about Ouya Black which is a 1.1 or whatever the limited edition one was. Just black.

thedirkenator95
02-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Since the console is Android powered, and Google is apart of Android, I would like to see Google Hangouts to be added to the console like Xbox Live where you can talk to your friends while playing games!

Bill33021
02-05-2014, 02:03 PM
A way to interface with Roku and Playon so I can run French tv streaming apps like Tele-Loisirs on Ouya and get to the app from my Roku, kind of the way Roku works with Playon. This gets around geolocking internationally.

Nitrogen_Widget
02-05-2014, 02:44 PM
A way to interface with Roku and Playon so I can run French tv streaming apps like Tele-Loisirs on Ouya and get to the app from my Roku, kind of the way Roku works with Playon. This gets around geolocking internationally.

XBMC works beautifully with Playon.

I can't remember if I tried using xbmc on OUYA to watch playon content though.

I think I streamed Hulu but can't remember.

digital_cal
02-05-2014, 07:20 PM
????????
Ouya 2 if there is one isn't even close to a reality yet.
You must be talking about Ouya Black which is a 1.1 or whatever the limited edition one was. Just black.

Okay my bad, I thought I remembered hearing at the beginning of OUYA that there would be a next gen every year.

Kaimega
02-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Okay my bad, I thought I remembered hearing at the beginning of OUYA that there would be a next gen every year.

They did say that, The Black one isn't it though ;)

jason
02-07-2014, 02:55 AM
For the love of god, OUYA should keep the same board size/layout so that owners of the 1st gen OUYA can buy just the board to upgrade to the OUYA II silicon (Tegra 4, whatever). Assuming they keep the same price point, the upgrade could retail for just $49.99. This would play into the idea of being the first "open" video game console and could go a long way towards increasing adoption since it's also the first game console with an annual upgrade cycle. If they don't make this concession to existing customers, then they're making a mistake.

freso
03-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Why reinvent the wheel? They should trash their controller. Realize it sucks and not worth putting money in, when there are other controllers that are better which comes with 0 investment cost. Sell the OUYA NG without controllers but make sure it supports some bluetooth controllers (PS3), and preferably also xbox360 wireless with the adapter.

If they do that, they could keep the price at $99 and get a better profit from the hardware, and we won't have to buy new unnecessary controllers every year when the new version comes. All while making sure current awesome controllers work perfectly.

For the love of god, OUYA should keep the same board size/layout so that owners of the 1st gen OUYA can buy just the board to upgrade to the OUYA II silicon (Tegra 4, whatever). Assuming they keep the same price point, the upgrade could retail for just $49.99.
Nice thought, but this would invalidate the second hand market. An old OUYA can still be used if it has a case. Anyway, the case is not a cost, probably cost them $5.

Schizophretard
03-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Why reinvent the wheel? They should trash their controller. Realize it sucks and not worth putting money in, when there are other controllers that are better which comes with 0 investment cost. Sell the OUYA NG without controllers but make sure it supports some bluetooth controllers (PS3), and preferably also xbox360 wireless with the adapter.

I like the controller more than the PS3 and XBOX 360 controllers. Also, it wouldn't make sense to sell a console without controllers. That is why all the other console companies have always reinvented the wheel.

Killswitch
03-02-2014, 10:49 AM

I see no issue with the controller. Not my favorite controller but have no issues.
You say don't make one because others are better. Coke is better than Pepsi but they keep making Pepsi (yeah Pepsi lovers I said it)
OUYA should be worried about OUYA and not everyone else's controllers or Google Play or any of these other things that seem to keep coming up.

O2 probably gets a new controller.
Not like everyone has XB or PS controllers laying around.
Defeats the purpose of being their own system if they say "Hey buy our box but bring your own controller"

vatigo
03-02-2014, 01:12 PM
The only issue I have with the current version of the console is a laggy controller with squeaky buttons. They supposedly fixed this and added more storage with the black version.

I don't see the need for upgrading specs but phone makers are doing it so maybe the new ones (still ver. 1 but in a new color) could come with Tegra 4. Tegra 3 ones could be sold cheaper.

Either way, I'll most likely skip the next version because all games will probably still work on the first one and it's too expensive where I live ($180)

skippyd
03-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Things i would like to see:
-Seperate bluetooth/ wifi chips (issue now add more than 1 controller and your wifi gets degraded)
-more USB's
-Tegra 4
-A ouya branded remote control
-more entertainment options (hulu, Youtube, etc...)
-Turn console on/off from controller
-a way to change background for more custom looks
-Gaming achievements (like xbox)

Nitrogen_Widget
03-05-2014, 03:40 PM
You can already put the console into sleep mode with the controller.

HugeMcNugget
03-29-2014, 04:03 AM
First of all, I don't think that they should give the Ouya 2 too large of a spec bump. That could alienate early adopters if their current system becomes obsolete when a bunch of new cool games come out that they can't play and they're forced to upgrade.

As for hardware, I would like to see the console redesigned to incorporate a bay for an internal harddrive, for extra storage. Also more USB ports and flash memory slots.

Software-wise, I'd like to see more native media apps like Netflix and I'd like to see Ouya court some larger software developers and publishers like Capcom, Konami, UBI, EA, and Activision.

As far as the controller, there's lots that I would redesign there. First, I would make it more ergonomic looking like an Xbox 360 controller. Secondly, I would give it 6 face buttons, instead of the standard 4, to make it better for fighting games. I would give it Select and Start buttons to make it more standard for emulators. Lastly, on the back of the controller, I would give it buttons for the middle and ring fingers to give you more control options when playing games that require dual sticks like FPS's.

-A ouya branded remote control

I like that idea. At least give it an IR port for use with universal remotes.

Killswitch
03-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Either those publishers come to the party or they don't. When this was started it was not meant to be some AAA dumping ground.

Schizophretard
03-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Either those publishers come to the party or they don't. When this was started it was not meant to be some AAA dumping ground.

It was meant for every developer.

Great games come from great developers.

Developers can wave farewell to the roadblocks of bringing a console game to market. Anyone can make a game: every OUYA console is a dev kit. No need to purchase a license or an expensive SDK. It's built on Android, so developers already know how it works.

That doesn't mean OUYA is an Android port. You can create the next big title in your bedroom just like the good old days! Who needs pants!?

OUYA could change AAA game development, too. Forget about licensing fees, retail fees, and publishing fees.

spinal
03-29-2014, 11:05 AM
I'd be more than happy with just a couple of extra USB ports and enough power to use an hdd without needing a powered usb hub.

Pat1986
03-29-2014, 11:07 AM
... and enough power to use an hdd without needing a powered usb hub.

the current OUYA brings enough power for an USB HDD

Killswitch
03-29-2014, 02:00 PM
It was meant for every developer.

Difference between courting them for new properties and/or working ones and dumping things here.
You will get a lot who don't care, dump a game here, expect to be praised and then never hear from them again.
I'd rather have companies who plan to stick around and support the system, not just dump them here.
I didn't mean no AAA if that's how it came off.

spinal
03-29-2014, 03:25 PM
the current OUYA brings enough power for an USB HDD

Neither of my two usb 2.5" hdds work unpowered on the OUYA. On the rare occasion that I attempted to use an unpowered USB hub, all hell broke loose, my flash drive disconnected, my hdd wouldn't even spin up.

Pat1986
03-29-2014, 07:20 PM
hm...must be really power hungry then. the USB Ports bring enough power for your "regular" 2,5" HDD.

dra6onfire
03-29-2014, 09:38 PM
my guess is that the problem is that he is using a usb hdd AND a usb hub and a usb flash drive and whatever else. It can run JUST a usb hdd but I have never tried to run more than that off of one usb port.

Spud2451
03-29-2014, 10:51 PM
My biggest thing about the ouya is that it dosen't have RCA connectors. I game in my free time but it's not something I do every day. So basically I have an old TV with no HDMI ports. This means I have to use an HDMI to RCA converter. Now its a small price to pay for the awesomeness that is ouya, but honestly I feel like this sets the ouya back a little for the older gamers who tend to have older TVs. I myself am just cheap and would rather spend the 20-60 dollars on a converter than a new TV. Still its a set back that I think could have been avoided for a price increase of maybe five dollars at most if integrated directly into the ouya.

sorath72
04-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Tegra k1 anyone?

Warzard
04-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Tegra k1 anyone?

I say yes. If they can get similar specs to this :https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1
and maybe find a way to get it to $150, why not?

fireballs
04-06-2014, 06:12 AM
My biggest thing about the ouya is that it dosen't have RCA connectors. I game in my free time but it's not something I do every day. So basically I have an old TV with no HDMI ports. This means I have to use an HDMI to RCA converter. Now its a small price to pay for the awesomeness that is ouya, but honestly I feel like this sets the ouya back a little for the older gamers who tend to have older TVs. I myself am just cheap and would rather spend the 20-60 dollars on a converter than a new TV. Still its a set back that I think could have been avoided for a price increase of maybe five dollars at most if integrated directly into the ouya.

Not a fan of this idea. Do you want a coaxil cable too? Maybe a 8-Track slot?

Dude I know that graphics might fool you but this isn't 1982. A pair of RCA's would take up just about as much space as all the current ports combined. Plus ouya isn't that well know, most people who even heard of ouya are techies, most techies like somewhat current stuff and have a TV from the last 8 years.

I would much rather have a second or third USB port, preferably 3.0 and a micro SD slot. I think these would be used by almost everyone, I think RCAs would be used by only a slight percentage.

BTW do you mean actual RCA's with the 3 plugs or Component cables with 5 cables?

Because 5 cables would take up the whole back and the 3 cables aren't HD and all the games are made for HD wide screen format.

twistedvivid
04-06-2014, 06:13 AM
2 or 3 USB 3.0 Ports
Tegra K1
Google Play Support

Not Trying to be unreasonable here

sorath72
04-06-2014, 07:16 AM
How about the ouya controller compatible to use on your pc. Such as the mojo mad catz controller does? Such as a internal lithium battery with usb charging and data sending to the PC would be great to have.

Kaimega
04-06-2014, 07:20 AM
2 or 3 USB 3.0 Ports
Tegra K1
Google Play Support

Not Trying to be unreasonable here

Google play support immediately makes it unreasonable ;) Also, if GP were to be on there it would have to be the primary storefront. Bad idea, not possible anyway. Have you seen the MOJO? There have been many complaints that very few GP games run with the controller natively on the device. A number of them been trying to get the OUYA Discover store on the MOJO .. which is probably why this partnership became a thing, now that I think of it..

fireballs
04-06-2014, 07:27 AM
How about the ouya controller compatible to use on your pc. Such as the mojo mad catz controller does? Such as a internal lithium battery with usb charging and data sending to the PC would be great to have.

I like the idea of being able to send data cause maybe that way we could get upgraded controller firmware.

HeadClot
04-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Here are a few things I would like for the OUYA 2.0

1. Tegra K1 with at least 4GB of Ram or More / Snapdragon 808 or 810 SOC (Link (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/qualcomm-64-bit-snapdragon-processor-soc,26486.html))
NOTE: I think most of us want this. :)
2. The ability to pair a smart phone or Tablet with a OUYA 2.0 and use it as an controller. (Think Smart Glass)
NOTE: Currently Supported but as a Third party application. I want dedicated first party support though :)
3. More than 4 Controllers players per OUYA when on LAN.
NOTE: OUYA 1.0 can currently do this however more than 4 players is uncharted territory and Unsupported.
4. Better Keyboard Layout - Similar to steams big picture mode keyboard layout.
NOTE: This is just a pet peeve of mine but Bad keyboard layouts are bad and drive me nuts.

Killswitch
04-09-2014, 03:44 AM
I like the idea of being able to send data cause maybe that way we could get upgraded controller firmware.

From one of my talks about controller trade in it was said that the new controller will have OTA firmware updates.

camcam17
04-26-2014, 05:39 PM
I hate that there making the ouya 2. I'm fine with it if it comes out early but a new ouya every year, your basically saying we should spend 100 to 200$ a year, no. So please, don't make anymore ouya, I'm fine with ouya 2 if it comes out early, but please just try not to make more and just focus on the one console.

Victor Coleiro
04-26-2014, 11:20 PM
I hate that there making the ouya 2. I'm fine with it if it comes out early but a new ouya every year, your basically saying we should spend 100 to 200$ a year, no. So please, don't make anymore ouya, I'm fine with ouya 2 if it comes out early, but please just try not to make more and just focus on the one console.

I think an Ouya every year was something Ouya got right. Ouya don't operate in a bubble, competition will come every year with the latest and greatest SOCs. Although you may say specs don't matter, in reality they do, a lot of people look at specs when making there purchase. It would be a different matter if Ouya had a formidable game line up , but unfortunately they don't. You can see with the Fire TV how most people now are looking to purchase that for their micro console. It's sad to say, but all I'm seeing lately on other forums is people jumping on the Fire TV band wagon. Ouya are already losing sales to new competitors and more bigger ones are to come this year. And it hasn't even been a year.

This doesn't mean you have to buy an Ouya every year, any new games developed will probably still work on the current Ouya unless they really push past the limits of the T3, which shouldn't be many games at all. The vast majority of all Ouya games will still run on the O1

The real wild card Ouya has, and something I believe they also got right , is Ouya Everywhere. OE has great potential to increase Ouyas revenue . If it can get on some devices that sell in large numbers they should do well. For example , there are a lot of Chinese stock android consoles, media boxes etc being sold into the Chinese market and worldwide. The leading ones sell in vast numbers. The big problem with them though is they are starving for content. There's a vast sea of potential and profit for OE in these.

boxtropica
04-26-2014, 11:32 PM
$100 to $200? What are you talking about?
The OUYA consoles will always be $99-- Not revisions, like the 16GB black revision, but MODELS. Julie said new models (Not revisions) would always be $99.

Killswitch
04-27-2014, 02:37 AM
I don't recall her saying that but she did say somethign about the newer ones being a test to see how much the market can bear so I expect it to be more.

camcam17
04-27-2014, 04:55 AM
I think an Ouya every year was something Ouya got right. Ouya don't operate in a bubble, competition will come every year with the latest and greatest SOCs. Although you may say specs don't matter, in reality they do, a lot of people look at specs when making there purchase. It would be a different matter if Ouya had a formidable game line up , but unfortunately they don't. You can see with the Fire TV how most people now are looking to purchase that for their micro console. It's sad to say, but all I'm seeing lately on other forums is people jumping on the Fire TV band wagon. Ouya are already losing sales to new competitors and more bigger ones are to come this year. And it hasn't even been a year.

This doesn't mean you have to buy an Ouya every year, any new games developed will probably still work on the current Ouya unless they really push past the limits of the T3, which shouldn't be many games at all. The vast majority of all Ouya games will still run on the O1

The real wild card Ouya has, and something I believe they also got right , is Ouya Everywhere. OE has great potential to increase Ouyas revenue . If it can get on some devices that sell in large numbers they should do well. For example , there are a lot of Chinese stock android consoles, media boxes etc being sold into the Chinese market and worldwide. The leading ones sell in vast numbers. The big problem with them though is they are starving for content. There's a vast sea of potential and profit for OE in these.

Look, I like ouya I really do, but I'm just worried that ouya 23456 are not gonna be compatible with each other will they or will every ouya have different games do I have to literally buy a new ouya every year.

So you would get a new ouya every year even though all the games will be the same the only thing that's gonna change is the remote and maybe the console.

mmartino
04-27-2014, 04:59 AM
Look, I like ouya I really do, but I'm just worried that ouya 23456 are not gonna be compatible with each other will they or will every ouya have different games do I have to literally buy a new ouya every year.

So you would get a new ouya every year even though all the games will be the same the only thing that's gonna change is the remote and maybe the console.

I will, at least maybe every other year :D

Schizophretard
04-27-2014, 06:05 AM

Backwards compatibility is a big part of it. OUYA isn't going to go through the Hell of getting hundreds of games just to have a blank library a year later. There will obviously be new games but there would be backwards compatibility also. And since the developers choose when they want to upgrade from OUYA 1.0 to OUYA 2.0 games and the gamers choose when they want to upgrade because there are so many of those new games that the developers created on their own time table that makes it tempting to upgrade then it is mostly the users that determine when they upgrade. OUYA may try to give a push for developers to create OUYA 2.0 games but most developers will develop what they want when they want. So, OUYA is just choosing when they will release new hardware to enable the users to determine when they upgrade.

It isn't like Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP and people feeling forced to upgrade to a computer that runs Windows 8 kind of thing. That is more like Microsoft planning to make hardware obsolete to help hardware manufacturers move new hardware which helps Microsoft move a new operating system. The only desire OUYA has for moving their operating system and hardware is to move the games in the store. They want you to have as much access to them as possible. The only thing like Microsoft would be OUYA Everywhere but a better analogy would be more like GNU/Linux because instead of making hardware obsolete with software it is more like helping to keep legacy hardware from going obsolete by giving people a reason to continue to use it.

So, I don't think you have anything to worry about with yearly refreshes because they make money on exactly want you want which is the games. The yearly refreshes will just enable you to access even more games when the developers and you choose.

TigerClawRadio
04-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Take your time Ouya. Do it right.

Some good notes though: The Ouya as it stands now continues to get better. Updates are providing real improvements. Remember when we were all clambering for USB support?

- Fix the controller. A new Ouya without a model 2 controller coming out first would be a disaster. They need to drop the palm grips and make it more comfortable to hold. (As seen in this video - http://youtu.be/LlWaa-yNf4U)

-Backwards compatibility. It DOES NOT go without saying. We need to demand this. I know the technology lends itself to this but so did the ps3 when it first came out. (Sony actively put effort into removing ps3's ability to play ps2 games.)

-More USB Ports. This seems to be on everyones wishlist. We can expand the space, we can plug in new controllers. EVERYONE seems to want the ability to do both without having a huge jumble of wires in a USB port. Help us out Ouya. I know you can make it work.

Leddy231
06-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Give it more power and make it possible to slot it in the current cases.
So we can buy just the board and slot it in in our old cases.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Donald Piano
06-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Two-Ya

yeah, i'll see myself out

boxtropica
06-03-2014, 12:04 AM
-Backwards compatibility. It DOES NOT go without saying. We need to demand this. I know the technology lends itself to this but so did the ps3 when it first came out. (Sony actively put effort into removing ps3's ability to play ps2 games.)

Backwards compatibility is a huge thing for OUYA- it was even mentioned on the Kickstarter page. Yes, OUYA II will be backwards compatible.

Fixing the controller? Well, v2 of the OUYA controller has been out for a while (Although OUYA Inc. has been rather quiet about it...) and it fixes bluetooth issues- I'm pretty sure they'll make a new controller for OUYA II, anywho. (Those R+L buttons grind my gears!)

Yea, OUYA II really needs more USB ports!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my OUYA- don't get me wrong, but can OUYA Inc. really deliver a $99 console that has better specs and fixes all previous problems?
From the OUYA v1 it seems that $99 may not be enough to fit in good controllers, hardware, and wifi...
Just a thought. OUYA has been improved a lot, and I look forward to OUYA II, but I wonder if these problems will be solved without making other cut-backs.

David5988
06-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Tegra K1 would be nice but I think that would increase the costs a lot and Ouya Inc want to sell a 99$ console.

Killswitch
06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Tegra K1 would be nice but I think that would increase the costs a lot and Ouya Inc want to sell a 99$ console.

Well $99 is gone. The checkerboard OUYAs are $129 and are probably a test to see what the market will bear. I would not be surprised to see a $149 OUYA 2

jeffry84
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Well $99 is gone. The checkerboard OUYAs are $129 and are probably a test to see what the market will bear. I would not be surprised to see a $149 OUYA 2

But that's as expensive as a new PS3. The OUYA 2 has to be very good a console for that price. I prefer the affordable $99 route...

Pat1986
06-05-2014, 09:29 AM
I prefer the affordable $99 route...

me too. 99$ is the maximum. they just cant ask for more with their current reputation.

Rhellik
06-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Tegra 4 And 99$ or K1 And 149$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffry84
06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Tegra 4 And 99$ or K1 And 149$
I bet it's a hard choice to make: Tegra4 OUYA II for $99 and people will complain because it's not powerful enough, give them a K1 OUYA II for $129/149 and they will complain because it's not cheap. And not even powerful enough because K2 will be out or behind the corner..

Killswitch
06-05-2014, 09:50 AM
K1 will supposedly give you PS/XB power so does it have to be more?
eh...
Who knows. It's a debate that will go on forever. I have a feeling that E3 week will be notification on what's coming.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS. I DO NOT HAVE ANY INFO.

Just makes sense

Pat1986
06-05-2014, 09:58 AM
i highly doubt they will announce a new machine during e3 or later this year. the console has a bad reputation in the industry. even as a niche product.

RiotingSpectre
06-05-2014, 10:12 AM
K1 will supposedly give you PS/XB power so does it have to be more?
eh...
Who knows. It's a debate that will go on forever. I have a feeling that E3 week will be notification on what's coming.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS. I DO NOT HAVE ANY INFO.

Just makes sense

Tegra K1 is more powerful than these console and while that would automatically have you think that it means similar prices to the compared platforms; it however isn't the case. The Tegra K1 is new hardware that is more expensive due to the advancements made over the course of its development process which is part of the reason why things like consoles have such high price tags. If you're developing a console for four years which takes millions of dollars then you're naturally going to nudge the price up a bit due to the fact that you have to make that money back or you'd be in trouble. All and all you can't compare red apples to green apples which is essentially what people here are doing.

Furthermore, the whole one hundred dollar price tag thing for the first iteration of the console was never said to be a constant recurrence throughout the company's lineup with later additions. I don't know where this whole OUYA is one hundred dollars so OUYA Two has to be that too logic is coming from as there's no evidence to support the fact that if they can't budget it down to the same price then they won't release it with Tegra K1 along with the consumer base not purchasing it. Sure, you have to remain competitive in this market because if you get close to the big three when you're still a tiny little unknown company then you're going to be hurting pretty bad. I for one will not purchase an OUYA Two if it doesn't have a Tegra K1 as a Tegra 4 would not be enough of a jump to justify a second piece of hardware in my house that is essentially the same library of games with too few commodities that take advantage of the superior chip. However, that's not to say I won't purchase a console that has OUYA Everywhere support along with Tegra K1 as I still like OUYA Incorporate as a whole with their mixed reception console not detracting that for me.

Continuing on, I don't think we're going to be having a Tegra 4 and Tegra K1 line of consoles alongside each other as that would fragment their developer and consumer base. Not only that but if the Tegra 4 is the superior sold console version by far then that would cannibalize the Tegra K1 edition which would further not make sense for them to make this decision. I also want you all to understand that while OUYA Incorporate and Nvidia are in bed together doesn't automatically mean a Tegra K1 as like I said before it's still new hardware coupled with the other stuff a console requires like fans, casing, wifi modules, and all those other things that may raise the price to the level where we'll have to be forced to have a Tegra 4 chip in our OUYA Two consoles. However, the devil's advocate side of me also says that there are things that we don't know between these two companies that might make them able to pull of a Tegra K1 OUYA Two.

Finally read through this thread as it's sixteen pages long of people talking in circles so I thought I'd clear a few things up. The Tegra K1 OUYA that everybody is wanting is on the table and may be more favorable in the odds whether or not we'll actually get it, but do keep in mind that business constantly has blood on the walls. If they can't pull it off (which is still a sizable possibility) then don't blame it on the company not listening to those who want the superior chip as they're doing what's best for themselves to insure that maybe one day they will be in the position to do most things to please everybody. If you must have a Tegra K1 console then go for one that will have OUYA Everywhere support which there will be in the future.

vatigo
06-05-2014, 02:31 PM
K1 is the only choice even if the console has to be a bit more expensive.

T4 announcement would get a massive shrug and a 'meh' from the public where K1 would get people excited again and OUYA would be on the front page of every tech portal and in a positive light for the first time since its kickstarter success.

They also need a fancy looking 3D game exclusive to the console just to showcase the power of the chip (like they did with ShadowGun for the KS campaign)

The "Everywhere" initiative made it look like the company is dying and grasping at straws.

I expect a controller with better buttons and no lag.
I expect better WiFi and more USB slots.

Codecs to make it a full media box would be nice.

Other than that it's just developers, developers, developers...

Wilds
06-05-2014, 04:28 PM
I would be very happy even with a Tegra 4! I just need more power than the current OUYA not the power of a ps3 or 360

Gumball
06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Anybody feel like ditching Mobile (SoC) hardware and moving towards some sort of PowerPC or AMD-type architecture with Linux + custom launcher? I mean, yes that means it's basically a Steam machine, and Android ports will be gone, but still, it could work

undftdroar
06-05-2014, 10:54 PM
might as well just build your own pc than......next

RiotingSpectre
06-06-2014, 10:18 AM
K1 is the only choice even if the console has to be a bit more expensive.

T4 announcement would get a massive shrug and a 'meh' from the public where K1 would get people excited again and OUYA would be on the front page of every tech portal and in a positive light for the first time since its kickstarter success.

They also need a fancy looking 3D game exclusive to the console just to showcase the power of the chip (like they did with ShadowGun for the KS campaign)

The "Everywhere" initiative made it look like the company is dying and grasping at straws.

We've discussed this matter before in another thread and the general consensus was that it would make it seem like we're right back where we were with the Tegra 3. While having a Tegra 4 would catch us up a little bit opposed to when we went towards the Tegra 3 at the time. There will no doubt be the same general public reception that the OUYA line is just archaic hardware that you might as well get a tablet with a controller for which in itself would also have tablet capabilities.

You're right that the Tegra K1 would give us some hype and as I said it's definitely a possibility that we'd see an OUYA Two with one, but let's keep aware that the ends have to justify the means. If it's out of the scope or is a financially inferior choice to make when compared to the Tegra 4 then a Tegra 4 OUYA Two is what we're going to get. The OUYA Everywhere initiative can be interpreted as desperation or satisfying those who want a more appealing storefront with a diverse library on multiple pieces of hardware.

Anybody feel like ditching Mobile (SoC) hardware and moving towards some sort of PowerPC or AMD-type architecture with Linux + custom launcher? I mean, yes that means it's basically a Steam machine, and Android ports will be gone, but still, it could work

That would be catastrophic to the point where the company would fold before breakfast. That and it doesn't make sense at all so there would be no logical point anyways.

Killswitch
06-06-2014, 10:34 AM

If you want to see OUYA go under, that's a good starting point. It's one thing to change philosophies but to change everything else...why would you do that? So let's change the little cube into a PC which anyone can build on their own and won't even need an OUYA at that point. Android ports will be gone...what is the operating system of the OUYA again? ANDROID. So again, OUYA would be gone.

"Hey developers who made ANDROID games or are in the process of making games, we're kicking you to the curb so we can start from zero."

Sounds good to me, let's do it.

:chargrined:

K1 - Great
T4 - Ok
Make it a computer? What. The. ......

RiotingSpectre
06-06-2014, 10:44 AM
If you want to see OUYA go under, that's a good starting point. It's one thing to change philosophies but to change everything else...why would you do that? So let's change the little cube into a PC which anyone can build on their own and won't even need an OUYA at that point. Android ports will be gone...what is the operating system of the OUYA again? ANDROID. So again, OUYA would be gone.

"Hey developers who made ANDROID games or are in the process of making games, we're kicking you to the curb so we can start from zero."

Sounds good to me, let's do it.

:chargrined:

Agreed and they wouldn't have their Kickstarter supporters, the majority of their general consumer, and what developer support they currently have which won't be replaced by making it a computer since Steam consoles are coming which already have larger demographics so there's no point in making anything for a smaller market. Going into the fact that it's basically a computer at this point doesn't mean that developers would support the console because it's the same general electronic that they already developed for. Ports don't work that way nor does vanilla support work that way. We would be fucked if we became anything like a computer. So fucked...

Killswitch
06-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Agreed and they wouldn't have their Kickstarter supporters, the majority of their general consumer, and what developer support they currently have which won't be replaced by making it a computer since Steam consoles are coming which already have larger demographics so there's no point in making anything for a smaller market. Going into the fact that it's basically a computer at this point doesn't mean that developers would support the console because it's the same general electronic that they already developed for. Ports don't work that way nor does vanilla support work that way. We would be fucked if we became anything like a computer. So fucked...

Yeah, what she said.

And as a developer I'd just say screw it if I was building for a PC, no need for exclusivity or anything like that. Who would buy it anyway? Not me.

Give me the little cube with a K1 and I'll buy it. The T4 is a maybe but only as support, it's better than what we have now but if you're going EVERYWHERE then you can't be behind everyone else and I don't need another PC. I have 6 PCs in this room alone and who knows how many more in the basement.

RiotingSpectre
06-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Yeah, what she said.

And as a developer I'd just say screw it if I was building for a PC, no need for exclusivity or anything like that. Who would buy it anyway? Not me.

Give me the little cube with a K1 and I'll buy it. The T4 is a maybe but only as support, it's better than what we have now but if you're going EVERYWHERE then you can't be behind everyone else and I don't need another PC. I have 6 PCs in this room alone and who knows how many more in the basement.

And then we go full circle as to why the idea to make the OUYA what's essentially a computer would fail because why would I buy an OUYA Two (if it were a computer) if no developers are supporting it? There's nothing in it for me as a video game console so I might as well get a Steam machine if I want native computer games on my television with supported controllers. It's a gimp computer so there's no point in keeping it for that because I have numerous things like laptops, touch-screen devices, and other things that will do better than it. The whole thing would look like this in a heartbeat.

http://s29.postimg.org/5kypx6n5j/7249815bb2ceed3726648a58952d768d46208f4c.jpg

Anyways, I think we need to get back on track to a more logical and not to mention more feasible string of ideas. @Killswitch: Here's some coffee. Would you like to take the floor as to why OUYA Incorporate should pick Tegra K1 over the Tegra 4?

http://s24.postimg.org/ttetw7u6t/ezgif_save.gif

Killswitch
06-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Since you brought the coffee, I can bring the tiramisu :D
http://juancarlothecaterer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Tiramisu.jpg

Let's see. Don't want to rehash the same things over and over so...here goes.

T4 - it's not a bad chip but like it's predecessor, you're dealing with past tech. I am assuming that because NVidia is a partner that there may be discounts on old chips or even given freely so they don't end up in landfills. You have games like Rochard which would run great on a T4, Gameloft games and all that too though some of them run fine sideloaded as is. But it's almost a lateral move. I'm not going to mention media because it's not a media box though there are a lot out there using it as such but a T4 would help on streaming.

Right now, the EVERYWHERE partners are already T4 and the Nuvo one kills them all. Why would people want a T4 OUYA? The only ones who might are developers for testing purposes, unless you make it a media box too that can do 4K like the Nuvo. Then you can mass market it as a media box/console. Look at MOJO as an example, it's been out for a long time, who wants to buy a new MOJO when the first one didn't even sell. You're not going to sell it as a game console unless you do something spectacular with it because the first articles will kill it saying it's old garbage tech, OUYA can't afford to be killed out the box again. Technically it won't be garbage but people want new new new.

K1 - BOOM. You blow the doors off. Supposedly you can get PS3/X360 level graphics and performance. OUYA may not even need to be updated after that point. Some indies aren't even catching up to T3/T4 level, so now they have something to aim for. There are a few games now that could use a T4 or better optimization where a K1 would be saying "feed me more". With a K1 you can readjust marketing, gain respect, build a new branch of loyal fans, it would be like a second chance at life basically. All the people who trashed OUYA before would have nothing to say on that end. Plus you'd sell one to me and the spectre where a T4 is a maybe as supporting the movement but not because we were wowed by it.

As many people here know, I contact a lot of developers about bringing their games over, the biggest complaint is "OUYA can't handle our game", though even 2D games have said this which you know is not true. But if you give them a K1 then they have no excuse. I can run off a list of over 100 games/developers that claim they need more power. If you bring them a K1, I can probably convince a bunch of these guys to get their game ready as launch titles or at least try to anyway. I know a few who are interested but won't touch the current OUYA as is. (And these OUYA guys don't even pay me for the efforts...feel free to send a check to the unofficial developer liaison)

K1 is like the second coming for lack of a better term. It's a chance for a new beginning, consumers and developers alike.

We know there would be a price bump. The checkerboard OUYAs, some of us assumed were to see consumer tolerance on price. Let's say it comes out with the media things people want, a K1, more memory and all the stuff that was lacking in OUYA Prime, there may be some type of tradeoff where you lose the "has to be $99" people but it leaves OUYA in a much better place.

RiotingSpectre
06-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Since you brought the coffee, I can bring the tiramisu :D
http://juancarlothecaterer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Tiramisu.jpg

Let's see. Don't want to rehash the same things over and over so...here goes.

T4 - it's not a bad chip but like it's predecessor, you're dealing with past tech. I am assuming that because NVidia is a partner that there may be discounts on old chips or even given freely so they don't end up in landfills. You have games like Rochard which would run great on a T4, Gameloft games and all that too though some of them run fine sideloaded as is. But it's almost a lateral move. I'm not going to mention media because it's not a media box though there are a lot out there using it as such but a T4 would help on streaming.

Right now, the EVERYWHERE partners are already T4 and the Nuvo one kills them all. Why would people want a T4 OUYA? The only ones who might are developers for testing purposes, unless you make it a media box too that can do 4K like the Nuvo. Then you can mass market it as a media box/console. Look at MOJO as an example, it's been out for a long time, who wants to buy a new MOJO when the first one didn't even sell. You're not going to sell it as a game console unless you do something spectacular with it because the first articles will kill it saying it's old garbage tech, OUYA can't afford to be killed out the box again. Technically it won't be garbage but people want new new new.

K1 - BOOM. You blow the doors off. Supposedly you can get PS3/X360 level graphics and performance. OUYA may not even need to be updated after that point. Some indies aren't even catching up to T3/T4 level, so now they have something to aim for. There are a few games now that could use a T4 or better optimization where a K1 would be saying "feed me more". With a K1 you can readjust marketing, gain respect, build a new branch of loyal fans, it would be like a second chance at life basically. All the people who trashed OUYA before would have nothing to say on that end. Plus you'd sell one to me and the spectre where a T4 is a maybe as supporting the movement but not because we were wowed by it.

As many people here know, I contact a lot of developers about bringing their games over, the biggest complaint is "OUYA can't handle our game", though even 2D games have said this which you know is not true. But if you give them a K1 then they have no excuse. I can run off a list of over 100 games/developers that claim they need more power. If you bring them a K1, I can probably convince a bunch of these guys to get their game ready as launch titles or at least try to anyway. I know a few who are interested but won't touch the current OUYA as is. (And these OUYA guys don't even pay me for the efforts...feel free to send a check to the unofficial developer liaison)

K1 is like the second coming for lack of a better term. It's a chance for a new beginning, consumers and developers alike.

We know there would be a price bump. The checkerboard OUYAs, some of us assumed were to see consumer tolerance on price. Let's say it comes out with the media things people want, a K1, more memory and all the stuff that was lacking in OUYA Prime, there may be some type of tradeoff where you lose the "has to be $99" people but it leaves OUYA in a much better place.

Your statements correlate to my own in the sense that public reception would be negative hence our points listed above. Tegra 4 is economically more viable as an option but as a business that aims to be here for years to come and presentable in a positive light, it's more of a liability. As I said before it's ends justifying the means and these means have to be looked at for a years to come perspective that I'm willing the bet the company is doing just that. I'm pretty sure that the Tegra 4 won't be making it and if it does then it's not the worst thing in the world still since we can just use OUYA Everywhere to backpedal with. However, this strengthens things outside the company a little bit more than it should but that's not to say that they'd be in the red.

Those developers that go to you with their whole "OUYA isn't powerful enough" bullshit is just that. Bullshit. There's very few games that can't run on the best Tegra 3 device on the market if it's on Google Play. What they're essentially saying is that they don't want to put the work into porting it over to our platform which includes optimizing, controller support, and a few other things. Even if we do get a Tegra K1 OUYA then that just means they'll use a new excuse with it probably being that they'd need about fifty grand to do a simple port along with the console not having millions of user in its user-base to justify even trying.

The whole price thing is a flake argument because if you're over seas then you're naturally going to pay higher prices but that's no reason to demand a same priced successor or else. Sorry to say to all those living in other parts of the world but despite the fact that you're still a means of profit; you're still in the minority and thus probably won't get that same priced successor that you want. All and all, the next iteration of the console is already complete by this point. It's about to the next few phases and should be talked about soon from OUYA Incorporate so all our questions will be answered in no time flat.

Killswitch
06-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Your statements correlate to my own in the sense that public reception would be negative hence our points listed above. Tegra 4 is economically more viable as an option but as a business that aims to be here for years to come and presentable in a positive light, it's more of a liability. As I said before it's ends justifying the means and these means have to be looked at for a years to come perspective that I'm willing the bet the company is doing just that. I'm pretty sure that the Tegra 4 won't be making it and if it does then it's not the worst thing in the world still since we can just use OUYA Everywhere to backpedal with. However, this strengthens things outside the company a little bit more than it should but that's not to say that they'd be in the red.
Yep.
Right now perception is a big part of this. Can't afford to come out the box and fall flat.

Those developers that go to you with their whole "OUYA isn't powerful enough" bullshit is just that. Bullshit. There's very few games that can't run on the best Tegra 3 device on the market if it's on Google Play. What they're essentially saying is that they don't want to put the work into porting it over to our platform which includes optimizing, controller support, and a few other things. Even if we do get a Tegra K1 OUYA then that just means they'll use a new excuse with it probably being that they'd need about fifty grand to do a simple port along with the console not having millions of user in its user-base to justify even trying.
Some are bullshit for sure. Some aren't. But it also depends on how you're willing to compromise what you have. I don't want to get all techy here but a lot of bringing it down to T3 levels involves losing some things, editing, optimization, etc. The $50,000 number you're referring to is BS when there is an Android export on that specific engine, maybe it'll cost some man hours but not $50,000 if we're referring to the same simulation game. Man hours aren't cheap and I can see where some are running into an issue but if the game is as good as it should be then you should be able to recoup costs.

There are 2 things that OUYA needs to resolve which would help on some of this, they already know what they are. Give the developers more tools to work with and you eliminate some of this.

Victor Coleiro
06-06-2014, 01:15 PM
I wonder when we will officially hear anything about a Ouya 2. Ouya E3 carpark event? , possible , although maybe not, if they plan on launching the Ouya 2 later this year.

You can almost bet the house on the Shield 2 being revealed at E3. Probably to go on sale end June or July .

RiotingSpectre
06-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Some are bullshit for sure. Some aren't. But it also depends on how you're willing to compromise what you have. I don't want to get all techy here but a lot of bringing it down to T3 levels involves losing some things, editing, optimization, etc. The $50,000 number you're referring to is BS when there is an Android export on that specific engine, maybe it'll cost some man hours but not $50,000 if we're referring to the same simulation game. Man hours aren't cheap and I can see where some are running into an issue but if the game is as good as it should be then you should be able to recoup costs.

I was speaking in a general sense but yes there are legitimate reasons. It's just sad that we don't see these reasons anymore.

Wilds
06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
I would like more performance just so that the visual style of my game that I have in my mind comes to it's right (do I say this correctly?)
The environments I have in mind need crisp looking textures and some decent lighting.

RiotingSpectre
06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I wonder when we will officially hear anything about a Ouya 2. Ouya E3 carpark event? , possible , although maybe not, if they plan on launching the Ouya 2 later this year.

All we have is this (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?11444-Playcast-Cloud-streaming&p=131180&viewfull=1#post131180) for now.

I would like more performance just so that the visual style of my game that I have in my mind comes to it's right (do I say this correctly?)
The environments I have in mind need crisp looking textures and some decent lighting.

A little broken at the end there but we get what you're saying, Wilds. Never hurts to have that extra something when developing a game.

Rhellik
06-06-2014, 04:42 PM
All I need would be a T4 for my current game. I had Black Hole running on the PC with much better textures and models but had zero performance on the OUYA. Which isnt to say I shouldn't optimize which I did to my best knowledge, but I had to cut some corners to have it run more or less smooth on the OUYA. That extra little kick would be enough to give it that last edge / polish I had in mind / I already had on the PC. I don't need necessarily more effects I just need better frame rate. So I'd be happy with a T4.
Supposedly it's 4 times strongher than the current T3 so why do we need more?

Of course we all wish for a K1 for 99$ (or whatever) but I don't realistically think it would work out, pricewise.
But hey maybe they will surprise us. :) Who knows what the buying price of the K1 is at let's say Christmas?

RiotingSpectre
06-07-2014, 01:30 PM
But hey maybe they will surprise us. :) Who knows what the buying price of the K1 is at let's say Christmas?

You're correct and I said this before somewhere but hardware gets cheaper by the second with minor exceptions occurring with things like vinyl record players as they're collector's items. I wouldn't be surprised if by Christmas the Tegra K1 was fifteen dollars cheaper than it is right now and with that notion I believe that coupled with OUYA Incorporation's relationship with Nvidia means that you can never rule out the possibility that a Tegra K1 is possible. Will it be $100 USD? I really doubt it but it won't be far off from that number.

Victor Coleiro
06-08-2014, 12:03 AM
I find it a little odd that some say it has to be $99, because that's what current Ouyas cost and it should be no more. Why do I think that's odd?, because right now Ouya are selling 16gb Ouyas for $130. No new SOC or anything fancy, just $4 worth of more storage. And these 16gb Ouyas seem to always sell out. That and the fact Amazon Fire TV also sells gang busters at $140 with controller.

flclfanman
06-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I find it a little odd that some say it has to be $99, because that's what current Ouyas cost and it should be no more. Why do I think that's odd?, because right now Ouya are selling 16gb Ouyas for $130. No new SOC or anything fancy, just $4 worth of more storage. And these 16gb Ouyas seem to always sell out. That and the fact Amazon Fire TV also sells gang busters at $140 with controller.

As long as TwOuya stays below $150, It'll be fine.

I'd like to see:

A Tegra 4 or better (something beast enough for gamecube emulation)

16GB Internal Storage minimum

SD/Micro SD slot

minimum 2 USB ports

Optional bluetooth dongle support option so we can use wireless controllers and stream media without lesser performance

Finally, More USB Hardrive support! My External won't connect to my current Ouya. The more options, the better.

Manaurys
06-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Tegra 4 already outdated

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

jeffry84
06-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Tegra 4 already outdated

So was the Tegra 3 when the OUYA came out.

RiotingSpectre
06-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Tegra 4 already outdated

So is the Tegra K1 if you take into consideration what's not in the hands of the average consumer.

Pat1986
06-08-2014, 02:04 PM
OUYA is outdated.

RiotingSpectre
06-08-2014, 02:27 PM
OUYA is outdated.

So is the PS4 & XboxONE.

timmytot666
06-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I think a T4 would be fine. The top model comes with 2gb of ram and is far more powerful then the tegra 3. I know it would be out of date; but as other people have stated so was the tegra 3 when the Ouya finally came out. I've not had a need for any more power in any games besides Rochard which was an Nvidia Shield game that I've sideloaded. I don't get lag in games but my menu lags a little when browsing discover. Also it would take media playback to the next level. As for the games I don't feel like any of them push the Current Ouya's hardware hard enough to warrant a K1 if it will break the price point (80-120 bucks) especially if games have to be backwards compatible.

Victor Coleiro
06-09-2014, 12:03 AM
I do believe there is a glass ceiling for micro consoles, but its probably around the $150-$160 mark, more than enough room to get a Tegra K1 in the Ouya 2. As I said above, the $130 Ouya and $140 TV Fire(inc controller) sell more than well.

In regards to Manaury's comment re: T3 being outdated, I believe the point he was making is the perception the T3 had when the Ouya launched and the sales we lost because of that perception. Everyone believed the T3 at the time was long in the tooth, and many judging from the comments at the time didn't buy it because of that. That's not something I'd like to see repeated now when there is more and increasing competition and if we have a choice to avoid it. That said a T3 Ouya was unavoidable due to the backer and retail launches happening before the T4 launch and indeed the T4 not even known by Ouya at the time of the KS

Ouya are losing a lot of sales to the Fire TV, there is no secret about that. I believe the Ouya 2 needs to be compelling enough to sway people away from competition like the existing Fire TV or the rest of the upcoming competition. A T4 just wont be enough to sway people away from the existing Firet TV let alone the comp coming over the next year or so to from the big boys to Ouya 3 - that's a long time - best to give it the best chance you can to cover the next year rather than something that wont really hold its wait now. A T4 IMHO Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The Ouya doesn't live in a bubble anymore, competition has arrived and will intensify - best plan for it.

Kaimega
06-09-2014, 01:08 AM
I do believe there is a glass ceiling for micro consoles, but its probably around the $150-$160 mark, more than enough room to get a Tegra K1 in the Ouya 2. As I said above, the $130 Ouya and $140 TV Fire(inc controller) sell more than well.

In regards to Manaury's comment re: T3 being outdated, I believe the point he was making is the perception the T3 had when the Ouya launched and the sales we lost because of that perception. Everyone believed the T3 at the time was long in the tooth, and many judging from the comments at the time didn't buy it because of that. That's not something I'd like to see repeated now when there is more and increasing competition.

Ouya are losing a lot of sales to the Fire TV, there is no secret about that. I believe the Ouya 2 needs to be compelling enough to sway people away from competition like the existing Fire TV or the rest of the upcoming competition. A T4 just wont be enough to sway people away from the existing Firet TV let alone the comp coming over the next year or so to from the big boys to Ouya 3 - that's a long time - best to give it the best chance you can to cover the next year rather than something that wont really hold its wait now. A T4 IMHO Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The Ouya doesn't live in a bubble anymore, competition has arrived and will intensify - best plan for it.

The thing is, having a K1 sorta destroys the entire "OUYA Everywhere" thing. I can see OUYA having the weakest specs specifically for the reason that all the other devices can benefit from OUYA's store. Devices like the Shield 2 for example,or MadCats Mojo. With OUYA everywhere, the OUYA is the default (reference) device, you cannot just make a game catered to a specific device like the MOJO without catering to OUYA as well. So adding the Everywhere thing sort of eliminates having new T4 optimized games and having games specifically for OUYA. While it is a good idea, it goes against their idea for expansion, and could actually cripple them in the future.

Victor Coleiro
06-09-2014, 01:16 AM
^ The reference device usually has the best specs , not the worst. (For example the Google Android Nexus 5 was one of the first devices to launch with a Snapdragon 800).

If the reference device doesn't sell , then there is no basis for OE to succeed on other platforms. At the moment MOJO is selling like crap and the other thing I dont know anyone who owns it. Then your not even certain they wont upgrade to the K1. What about other devices that might come out with a K1 over the next 14 months to O3 - whats more compelling for them a K1 OE or a OE with games limited to T4 specs - not exactly something you want to have on your new shiny K1 console, ie games limited to T4 graphics - doesn't exactly show it off or sell it.

To me , leading from the front is the best option for OE to succeed, ie you first need to have a platform that is successfull - because if it's not, nor will OE.
Look at Blackberry or Nokia, in their hay day, they could have licensed their OS's to other manufacturers because they were selling and there was a base audience. Would other manufacturers licence their OS now to make handsets with them, now that the base HW of the reference handsets (blackberry and Nokia) are not selling. Nope - no chance - why , because the reference has to succeed for the OS to be wanted and marketable. It would be a different story if there were other HW with OE that sold in any meaningfull numbers. You could then do away with Ouya entirley if you wanted to. But at this point in time , the Ouyas sales are critical .

Wilds
06-09-2014, 08:27 AM
I am outdated ;_; but I seem to work!

flamepanther
06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Something else to remember is that the new reference device sets the standard for the standards that come after it. Nexus 5 was the reference device for Android 4.4 phones, not for earlier versions of Android. The first generation of OUYA Everywhere appears to be based on the OUYA we've already got, not OUYA 2.

BruceMcF
06-10-2014, 06:40 AM
If OUYA is about choice, then the most OUYAish way to do it is to offer a choice. The OUYA original needs to fix its WiFi to sell as a streaming box, but other than that it is pretty much ready for prime time. So keep the OUYA, with a supported USB WiFi dongle to fix the WiFi problem and WiFi/bluetooth controller interference problem, at a discounted price against the Amazon Fire TV (say $80). Then the OUYA 2 can target the $140 Amazon Fire TV plus controller price with the best spec that can be brought in at that price point ~ K1 if possible, T4 with a bucketload of RAM at the very least if not.

Killswitch
06-10-2014, 10:22 AM
If OUYA is about choice, then the most OUYAish way to do it is to offer a choice. The OUYA original needs to fix its WiFi to sell as a streaming box, but other than that it is pretty much ready for prime time. So keep the OUYA, with a supported USB WiFi dongle to fix the WiFi problem and WiFi/bluetooth controller interference problem, at a discounted price against the Amazon Fire TV (say $80). Then the OUYA 2 can target the $140 Amazon Fire TV plus controller price with the best spec that can be brought in at that price point ~ K1 if possible, T4 with a bucketload of RAM at the very least if not.
You can get it NOW for $80 in some places.

BruceMcF
06-13-2014, 06:38 AM
You can get it NOW for $80 in some places.
Yes, I meant $80 list, if that wasn't clear, not street price.

(1) Price cut the baseline Amazon Fire TV w/out controller, Playstation TV w/controller, while fixing the WiFi problem so it can support cloud streaming of games on WiFi.

(2) Feature beat and price match the Amazon Fire TV w/controller ... if possible at the price point, K1 four USB ports (maybe even one 1amp), two band, two antenna WiFi.

average_male
06-24-2014, 06:25 PM
I'd like to recommend that Team Ouya not over-hype the console as being "Revolutionary" or the "Best Thing Ever", because when (not 'if' but 'when') us users come across that first glitch (be it a system crash, fail to sync controller, etc., etc.) the very first thing that comes to our minds is, if this is revolutionary or the next best thing, the gaming industry is doomed.

In short, don't promise the world because anything less will be a BIG disappointment and Team Ouya would be viewed as that irrelevant, wiseacre, snot-nose Fugazi that we all want to avoid.

With that said, I really like the Ouya but the sales gimmick really chaps my hide.

Nitrogen_Widget
06-25-2014, 12:35 AM
I'd like to recommend that Team Ouya not over-hype the console as being "Revolutionary" or the "Best Thing Ever", because when (not 'if' but 'when') us users come across that first glitch (be it a system crash, fail to sync controller, etc., etc.) the very first thing that comes to our minds is, if this is revolutionary or the next best thing, the gaming industry is doomed.

In short, don't promise the world because anything less will be a BIG disappointment and Team Ouya would be viewed as that irrelevant, wiseacre, snot-nose Fugazi that we all want to avoid.

With that said, I really like the Ouya but the sales gimmick really chaps my hide.

C'mon, I dare you to find any type of entertainment device that isn't over-hyped.
You want to talk over-hyped ask the FireTV owners that said "Gary Buscie" into their remote and learned you can only search amazon prime that way & not the 10 other streaming apps they have installed about over-hype.

If you seriously take marketing gimmicks like "revolutionary" & "best thing ever" to heart....well I got bad news for you.
you are in for a whole world of disappointment.

Schizophretard
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I have a question about the T3 was outdated ,the T4 would be outdated, and therefore OUYA should choose the K1. Even if outdated has the technology surpassed what the average indie developer has the resources to make use of? For an example, lets say the OUYA 2.0 gets a K1 and it can do something like a PS3. Will the average indie developer be able to create something like a PS3 game? I don't know the answer myself but I get the impression they couldn't. Something like a PS3 game takes millions of dollars and huge AAA studios. I can't even imagine what the goal of a Kickstarter for Gridiron Thunder 2: Double The Thunder would be to make it look like a Madden game on a PS3.

I'm just imaging OUYA giving K1 as a selling point,"OUYA 2.0 has the power of a PS3!" and then at launch all the gamers are thinking,"They lied! These games look like they could be played on a Nintendo 64 or even earlier consoles! Where are all the PS3 type games!" Especially since most of the games at launch will be OUYA 1.0 games anyway. Then by the time OUYA 3.0 comes around and we look back at the OUYA 2.0 games we would see most if not all could have been done on a T4 or maybe even still on a T3. If the K1 wouldn't be pushed and pushed a lot then the selling point would backfire because the chip wouldn't even really have been used. It would just be there serving nothing much more than being a selling point that has no software to back up that selling point. It would be like if the PS2 for its entire life didn't get games that were much different than the PS1 games. It would make Sony customers pissed off because it would be as if they could have just stuck with their PS1.

And has the T3 really been OUYA 1.0's main hardware issue? For many people it has been more like the controllers lagging, most not having the better more recent iteration of the controller, WIFI issues, it coming with only 8GB internal storage for a console that doesn't have physical media with USB support taking forever to get here, only one USB port and it being USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 which plays into the 8 GB storage issue because hard drives take forever to scan, etc. Then on the software side it has been more about OUYA's software than the games with things like bugs, crashes, recognizing controller set ups, people getting turned off and returning their OUYA right away without even trying it when they see they have to enter a credit card first, lacking social features, XBMC not being as good as sideloaded versions, etc.

In other words, the T3, at least as far as the gamer is concerned is the least of their concerns. It is the work in progress beta feel of the console before they even download a game. It is those kind of things that OUYA should focus on the most. Instead of doing the 8GB internal storage again load it up enough that most gamers won't have to spend more money on an external storage device to make it feel more complete and so OUYA has more space for the OS, put a USB 3.0 port or two on it, include the most resent iteration of the controller, put a WIFI antenna in there that can receive signals from NASA, add more RAM to make the UI not feel as heavy, slow, and so OUYA can do more with it, fix bugs, etc. Just design it to fix OUYA 1.0 issues on the gamers end, throw in a T4 to give developers more to work with which would probably be all that most would need just for a year, and then even if OUYA is only saving a few bucks per unit by not choosing a K1 use ever penny of that to go towards paying someone to make at least one good commercial to sell the thing. I rather them do all of that other stuff and keep the T3 again than to skip all that other stuff to get a K1 in there. In short, a T3 console that feels finished is greater than a K1 console that feels like it is in beta. Therefore, a T4 would already be a bonus.

Victor Coleiro
06-25-2014, 10:35 AM
@Schizophretard

I wouldn't want to assume that indies couldn't make use of the extra grunt. That said , you almost answered your own question , The point of possibly getting a K1 on the Ouya 2 , is to entice the big studios to develop games for the Ouya. . After all, this has been the biggest complaint so far that people keep harping on about . It certainly would at least eliminate the excuse from studios, that it isn't powerful enough which some of them have used in the past.

Killswitch
06-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Schiz, outdated isn't the issue though it's part of the issue. Basically what Victor said without going long form.

Plus if it has a K1 there will be people who will put their games there so it's not "Hey this is SNES crap". I've probably contacted over 500 developers by now, lost count, and many would simply do it on more powerful hardware so they don't have to optimize, etc. Most of the time people don't want to do the work but instead we get weak excuses, not sugar coating that crap because it pisses me off as a consumer, as a developer I KIND OF understand but I would never say it's going to cost $50,000 to port to OUYA when it's already on Android or done in an engine that supports Android, etc.

It's isn't a cureall but it helps. Plus consumers would love to know that they aren't buying a Nexus like some asshats like to say. They want to know they're getting something that has some power.

Magnesus
06-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Even if outdated has the technology surpassed what the average indie developer has the resources to make use of?

With use of complex libraries that are now available to indies (even for free) they can make use of any hardware available when making 3D games to the full extent.
For 2D games I think Tegra 4 would be enough even for games similar to Rayman Legends in look and feel (although I am not 100% sure, Rayman Legends made my old laptop run quite hot, 1080p resolution is pretty demanding).

timekillergames
06-25-2014, 06:37 PM
This is at the very top of the top of my top wish list.

1) Better hardware performance / acceleration so it will be much more than a regular mobile device on the big screen. Right now it has hardware that's capable of doing even less than your average brand-new tablet or even phone as of recent.

2) A vent that isn't covered. Either putting the vent somewhere other than the bottom, or, make 4 leg "stubs" to make the box a little elevated so the vent can breath without any additional or external means to keep it breathing.

3) a controller that people (first timers) don't almost break just trying to get to the battery slots. My first time I nearly broke the faceplates just trying to open them and with no instructions to do that in the manual made the experience a bit frustrating.

4) optional cables to support older TV's (like the non-flatscreen tucked away in my closet)

Edit:

I choose OUYA 2.

*OUYA 2.0 sounds a bit geeky.
*OUYA II adds two additional letters to the acrynym, so no thanks.
*OUYA 2014 isn't accurate, there was already the new 16 GB OUYA in 2014 so it would confuse people.

Nitrogen_Widget
06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
With use of complex libraries that are now available to indies (even for free) they can make use of any hardware available when making 3D games to the full extent.
For 2D games I think Tegra 4 would be enough even for games similar to Rayman Legends in look and feel (although I am not 100% sure, Rayman Legends made my old laptop run quite hot, 1080p resolution is pretty demanding).

All you really need to do is look at the indi section of Steam for the answer of what small dev teams or single devs are putting out.

And my opinion is there are not many pixel pushing games on there.
Almost every free or indie game on steam i've tried (even left 4 dead) was able to play fairly well on my under powered 1.2ghz dual core APU media center PC with the graphics dialed down & the res set to 720p.
I do not know how a T4 compares to that PC though.
I can say that the XBMC interface and N64 emulator with the high-res textures run better on my OUYA than my HTPC.

Magnesus
06-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Well, now it needs to run Android TV beside Ouya Discover or instead of Ouya Discover.

Killswitch
06-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, now it needs to run Android TV beside Ouya Discover or instead of Ouya Discover.

Seriously? Instead of Discover? It's OUYA not Google's toybox. There is no need for Google on it and no reason for it.

RiotingSpectre
06-25-2014, 10:36 PM

http://i62.tinypic.com/332cbdc.gif

Kaimega
06-25-2014, 11:52 PM

... No. If you want a Google play box, there are plenty of those around. OUYA is for OUYA, that is it.

Schizophretard
06-26-2014, 01:23 PM
@Schizophretard

I wouldn't want to assume that indies couldn't make use of the extra grunt. That said , you almost answered your own question , The point of possibly getting a K1 on the Ouya 2 , is to entice the big studios to develop games for the Ouya. . After all, this has been the biggest complaint so far that people keep harping on about . It certainly would at least eliminate the excuse from studios, that it isn't powerful enough which some of them have used in the past.

But if it has been the biggest complaint so far and people are trying to get the bigger studios to develop games then OUYA already has the power now for those games. What is really the point of eliminating their excuses? I mean lets say it gets a K1 and they no longer have any excuses left. Then they will just be honest and say that it is because the user base is small which is the real complaint. So, if the user base is small then what is reasonably in OUYA's power to do? Focus more on addressing all the other issues with the hardware that gamers complain about as the first priority so they feel like they don't have some work in progress beta hardware again. Then after that is all done they see which chip to put in as a secondary priority. Which chip would increase the user base? A T4. Why? OUYA Everywhere. Those are two things reasonably within OUYA's power to do that focuses on addressing the main problem of the user base. If they increase the user base then the big studios won't have to make up excuses because the low user base is the honest truth which if solved the big studios would find more enticing than a K1.

Schiz, outdated isn't the issue though it's part of the issue. Basically what Victor said without going long form.

Plus if it has a K1 there will be people who will put their games there so it's not "Hey this is SNES crap". I've probably contacted over 500 developers by now, lost count, and many would simply do it on more powerful hardware so they don't have to optimize, etc. Most of the time people don't want to do the work but instead we get weak excuses, not sugar coating that crap because it pisses me off as a consumer, as a developer I KIND OF understand but I would never say it's going to cost $50,000 to port to OUYA when it's already on Android or done in an engine that supports Android, etc.

It's isn't a cureall but it helps. Plus consumers would love to know that they aren't buying a Nexus like some asshats like to say. They want to know they're getting something that has some power.

Before the K1 was announced was the lack of a T4 the excuse? If yes then a T4 would solve that one. But the user base has been the biggest issue. If both of the OUYA Everywhere partners have T4 chips and the app that they plan to launch for people to download on other devices besides the partner ones will not be for future K1 devices but T4 devices that people already own then wouldn't it makes sense for OUYA to do this?:

1. Address all of the current issues the users have with the current OUYA to have them fixed in OUYA 2.0 with it having a T4.

2. The two OUYA Everywhere partners' devices, any potential new partners before OUYA 2.0's release, and the OUYA Everywhere app that people will download onto other devices that they now currently own with T4 chips in them to all be updated to play OUYA 2.0 games on its launch date.

If they did that then the honest reviews shortly before launch could end up looking something like:

"It seems that OUYA has got their act together this time around. Compared to the OUYA we reviewed last year it appears that most of the issues have been addressed. This is what the first OUYA should have been like. The only downside that really stands out is that they chose to use a T4 instead of a K1. But that is forgivable because all their OUYA Everywhere partners' devices will get a free update to OUYA 2.0 and their OUYA Everywhere app that can be downloaded for free on many of the T4 devices already out there will get updated to OUYA 2.0 on launch day. That is a pretty clever move because if someone doesn't own a T4 device and wants to play OUYA 2.0 games then this is quality hardware for the price but if they already own a T4 device then there is a good chance they already have an OUYA 2.0 capable device. We also tested that out and it is kind of cool. It is as if they will launch their console and a free emulator for it at the same time. It is also kind of like they will release a free hand held too because we tested it on our tablet with a controller and it is exactly like how it is on the big screen. The only mobile controls it has are you have to touch to launch it and the touch screen emulates the trackpad on their controller which you rarely need but otherwise is it closer to playing the 3DS than mobile because the entire store is nothing but console games that require controllers. The experience also brings to mind the Wii U because when someone else is occupying the TV you can just go hand held because the OUYA Everywhere app has the extra feature of streaming the games already downloaded on your OUYA 2.0 onto your OUYA Everywhere capable device. You can also stream games from the Playcast cloud gaming service. Even if the OUYA 2.0 has as soft of a launch as their last one, which I doubt with all of these improvements, there are still millions of devices already in people's hands that can run OUYA 2.0. They will probably solve their user base issue before the first console is sold. The launch titles aren't that great but it is fully backwards compatible with all 1,000 of their OUYA 1.0 games and I don't think they are going to have as much trouble finding developers this time around since many of you already own an OUYA 2.0 but are just now being informed about it. It appears that they really are a new kind of video game console company because this is a first for us. A year ago they wanted to televise their revolution in console gaming but this year their broadcast is reaching more than televisions. The broadcast is loud enough that it has caught our attention and it looks like it will be an interesting year for OUYA."

If something like that happened are you telling me that if you contacted those over 500 developers again that many of them wouldn't give you a better answer? That is most likely an exaggeration of the potential there but it would look much different than with a K1 and only OUYA Everywhere 1.0. It would be OUYA 1.0 everywhere and we would have to hope that the K1 OUYA 2.0 user base gets big enough to dwarf that or the developers would just start targeting the users with the OUYA Everywhere 1.0 app because it would get them and us too which for us with the actual OUYA 2.0 we would still be getting T3 games. It just doesn't make sense to me that while OUYA 1.0 is getting most of its growth with OUYA Everywhere that the OUYA 2.0 would just be starting to grow. It would make more sense to make the OUYA Everywhere growth to also be OUYA 2.0 growth. It wouldn't fragment the user base into an OUYA 2.0 minority among an OUYA 1.0 majority. It would just be one big user base.

Killswitch
06-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Luckily I'm home today, will get back to you because that's one long ass post man :p

Nitrogen_Widget
06-26-2014, 01:40 PM
@ Schizophretard - same as i'm saying.
OUYA2 will have a T4 because the OUYA EVERYWHERE partners have T4.
If ouya is supposed to be the dev unit putting a K1 in it makes zero sense.

You won't get "better games".
You'll get developers being lazy & relying on the K1 to make up for non-optimized graphics that probably won't be that much better than current games.

Killswitch
06-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Before the K1 was announced was the lack of a T4 the excuse? If yes then a T4 would solve that one.
Yes and no, depends who. A lot didn';t want to optimize their game so more yes than no. But now the T4 is about to be outdated like the T3 was. So now you change the talk from Old T3 to Old T4.
But the user base has been the biggest issue. Not really. It's one that you SEE more often and is an easy cop out. We have a member here who said he didn't want to take a few hours to add IAP to his game for OUYA, it's just a bunch of issues.
If both of the OUYA Everywhere partners have T4 chips and the app that they plan to launch for people to download on other devices besides the partner ones will not be for future K1 devices but T4 devices that people already own then wouldn't it makes sense for OUYA to do this?:

1. Address all of the current issues the users have with the current OUYA to have them fixed in OUYA 2.0 with it having a T4.

2. The two OUYA Everywhere partners' devices, any potential new partners before OUYA 2.0's release, and the OUYA Everywhere app that people will download onto other devices that they now currently own with T4 chips in them to all be updated to play OUYA 2.0 games on its launch date.This is not simply about power of the chip. That's where this seems to be going. When people are marketing new consoles and such, if they adveritsed they were putting it out with old tech, would that old tech have a chance against the new ones? That's just the simple way of explaining it, there is a lot more that goes into it.

If they did that then the honest reviews shortly before launch could end up looking something like:

"It seems that OUYA has got their act together this time around. Compared to the OUYA we reviewed last year it appears that most of the issues have been addressed. This is what the first OUYA should have been like. The only downside that really stands out is that they chose to use a T4 instead of a K1. But that is forgivable because all their OUYA Everywhere partners' devices will get a free update to OUYA 2.0 and their OUYA Everywhere app that can be downloaded for free on many of the T4 devices already out there will get updated to OUYA 2.0 on launch day. That is a pretty clever move because if someone doesn't own a T4 device and wants to play OUYA 2.0 games then this is quality hardware for the price but if they already own a T4 device then there is a good chance they already have an OUYA 2.0 capable device. We also tested that out and it is kind of cool. It is as if they will launch their console and a free emulator for it at the same time. It is also kind of like they will release a free hand held too because we tested it on our tablet with a controller and it is exactly like how it is on the big screen. The only mobile controls it has are you have to touch to launch it and the touch screen emulates the trackpad on their controller which you rarely need but otherwise is it closer to playing the 3DS than mobile because the entire store is nothing but console games that require controllers. The experience also brings to mind the Wii U because when someone else is occupying the TV you can just go hand held because the OUYA Everywhere app has the extra feature of streaming the games already downloaded on your OUYA 2.0 onto your OUYA Everywhere capable device. You can also stream games from the Playcast cloud gaming service. Even if the OUYA 2.0 has as soft of a launch as their last one, which I doubt with all of these improvements, there are still millions of devices already in people's hands that can run OUYA 2.0. They will probably solve their user base issue before the first console is sold. The launch titles aren't that great but it is fully backwards compatible with all 1,000 of their OUYA 1.0 games and I don't think they are going to have as much trouble finding developers this time around since many of you already own an OUYA 2.0 but are just now being informed about it. It appears that they really are a new kind of video game console company because this is a first for us. A year ago they wanted to televise their revolution in console gaming but this year their broadcast is reaching more than televisions. The broadcast is loud enough that it has caught our attention and it looks like it will be an interesting year for OUYA." You have some serious faith in humanity. The review will be trashing the T4 if you ask me and then the games, just like last time. They'll find a game that's not the best of the best and trash it.

If something like that happened are you telling me that if you contacted those over 500 developers again that many of them wouldn't give you a better answer? That is most likely an exaggeration of the potential there but it would look much different than with a K1 and only OUYA Everywhere 1.0. It would be OUYA 1.0 everywhere and we would have to hope that the K1 OUYA 2.0 user base gets big enough to dwarf that or the developers would just start targeting the users with the OUYA Everywhere 1.0 app because it would get them and us too which for us with the actual OUYA 2.0 we would still be getting T3 games. It just doesn't make sense to me that while OUYA 1.0 is getting most of its growth with OUYA Everywhere that the OUYA 2.0 would just be starting to grow. It would make more sense to make the OUYA Everywhere growth to also be OUYA 2.0 growth. It wouldn't fragment the user base into an OUYA 2.0 minority among an OUYA 1.0 majority. It would just be one big user base.

I'm sure there will be a lot who come up with a new excuse. Don't know what exaggeration has to do with anything...
Fragmentation is going to happen with this EVERYWHERE, no matter how it's done.

Keep telling people it's not just about the sheer power of the K1. Imagine OUYA 2 comes out and they have the same reception and everything else, it would be game over.

I can't even come up with words for the topic anymore, been talked out.

RiotingSpectre
06-26-2014, 08:39 PM
@ Schizophretard - same as i'm saying.
OUYA2 will have a T4 because the OUYA EVERYWHERE partners have T4.
If ouya is supposed to be the dev unit putting a K1 in it makes zero sense.

You won't get "better games".
You'll get developers being lazy & relying on the K1 to make up for non-optimized graphics that probably won't be that much better than current games.

Isn't the Tegra line backwards compatible with each other? I'm sure an OUYA Two with a Tegra K1 wouldn't inhibit anybody if this were true.

Nitrogen_Widget
06-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Isn't the Tegra line backwards compatible with each other? I'm sure an OUYA Two with a Tegra K1 wouldn't inhibit anybody if this were true.

Well, games "made for T4" seem to work just fine on OUYA from what i've read.
But I suspect that is because the developers are not actually pushing the T4 with their game.

K1 is a completely different animal.
Nvidia has shown a demo of a PS4 game recompiled for a K1.
Unreal 4 engine demo was shown at the Google show on a K1.

Those things simply won't run on anything other than a K1.

I guess if an OUYA 2 came out with a K1 & had a library of recompiled PS4 games then yeah, it would be a good thing.
But, how much would it cost & would those PS4 publishers actually come?

Starfighter
06-29-2014, 05:07 PM
I want component out. I'm so tired of this whole HDMI-format, with its limiting HDCP and crazy legislation around it.

Eldon.McGuinness
06-30-2014, 02:48 AM
I really wonder if XBMC will be considered with the OUYA 2 or any of its successors.

BruceMcF
06-30-2014, 10:35 PM
I want component out. I'm so tired of this whole HDMI-format, with its limiting HDCP and crazy legislation around it.

Now THERE'S something that would set OUYA2 apart from the Android streaming plus-maybe gaming devices ~ component out, optical audio out.

As an Economist, I just don't see any prospect for substantial AAA game title support other than the cloud gaming, where OUYA can piggyback on existing deals that game developers have reached to tap the existing cloud gaming service that OUYA's new cloud gaming partner already has going. And for cloud gaming, dual band, dual antenna WiFi is a bigger deal than processor, since it seems like all of the complicate rendering is happening on the other side of the POP delivering the result to the OUYA as basically a streaming video.

And anything that makes the OUYA2 an excellent cloud gaming device also makes it an excellent streaming media device, just optimized for controller input.

If the aim is to seriously expand the user base, then after the OUYA Everywhere roll-out on the T4 base, they should start working to expand into another processor family and work out a deal to include "OUYA Everywhere For ____" on the higher end tablets of some large maker's range ~ someone like Samsung. It might start out as 70%-80% of their catalog, but they would be all optimized for controller play.

Alberto
06-30-2014, 11:20 PM
+1 more for a better audio out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

theweirdn8
07-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Must haves:

*Achievement System
*First Party Titles
*128GB HardDrive minimum

Killswitch
07-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Must haves:

*Achievement System
*First Party Titles
*128GB HardDrive minimum
If you want OUYA to burn all their cash, good start.

rosse119
07-09-2014, 01:03 PM
I would like a basic friends list and to see what other people are playing

TigerClawRadio
07-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Just give me another USB port. Hell I would be happy with a new model of the original Ouya with another USB port.

Cannibalpinhead
07-12-2014, 10:55 AM
I would like to see enough power to emulate the N64, Sega Saturn, PS1 or even the PS2...
In addition to that I like to have the easy possibility to mod the Ouya 2. I like to get the Ouya 2 in other Cases and solder USB-Hubs and stuff directly to the board without big problems. The actual ouya did there a great job... It wasnt a problem to solder the USB Hub to the board or replace the power button... that "features" have to stay! ;)
A 100% USB compatibility would be nice... I dont want to try out 10 different USB-Hubs again to find the working one...

And of course... the software have to be 100% backward compatible...

Manaurys
07-12-2014, 12:44 PM
They are sitting on more than 15 million dollars and they haven't improve any that much not even software side

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Killswitch
07-12-2014, 01:35 PM
No one knows how much they have in the bank but they have definitely improved things, anyone can see that.

michaelrp67
07-12-2014, 06:57 PM
OUYA isn't going to be a primary game system. It's just not. And that's okay. That's what makes OUYA great! The community, the programmers..... I think all the talk of achievements and what not is all good but we should realize once OUYA starts down that path the price will go up and up to maintain the online network. With net neutrality becoming an issue either the big corporations or government (who ever wins) will be throttling internet and OUYA won't stand a chance at having proper bandwidth with Microsoft, Sony, and Google lobbying and throwing money around.

OUYA should stay small. Stay connected with it's base like it is now. Keep the programmers talking with the players. Keep on keeping on.

Most of the suggestion's I see here are basically comparing OUYA to Xbox and Sony.
Let Google buy OUYA and you can have all that you want.

Rhellik
07-13-2014, 01:47 PM
This is a good reason we need T4 or more:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/2a984p/night_riders_3d_arcade_racing_updated_on_ouya_now/

freakdave
07-15-2014, 07:39 PM
K1, nuff said...

Jake53
07-15-2014, 10:07 PM
I'd like blue tooth to not affect wifi

azsouthendzone
07-17-2014, 04:27 AM
Android TV with Ouya Everywhere

Killswitch
07-17-2014, 09:51 AM
I highly doubt Google is going to call their boxes OUYA 2...

Victor Coleiro
07-18-2014, 02:12 AM
Android TV with Ouya Everywhere

Lets explore your idea for a minute. Lets say the Ouya 2 comes out with ATV and Discover. For it to run the ATV games, the Ouya controller will need to be compatible with the ATV controller. That's one issue, it maybe, it may not be. Lets go further and assume it is compatible.

So here is an Ouya 2 with ATV and Discover on it. Your a developer, what do you publish your game to? Simple ATV only, why , because publishing to ATV would have your game popup on all ATV consoles and the Ouya 2. So why would they also post the game to the discover store, there is no incentive to do so at all. You would end up with no further games being published to the discover store . Remember that's where Ouya makes there money. On top of that, sales would be lost by people then buying controller based games from the ATV store - result, discover also loses sales. The Ouya business model of making money off games in the discover store, then eventually collapses .

In realistic terms, that's why you wont see a O2 with ATV on it along with discover. It either wouldn't be compatable controller wise or It would kill the discover store and Ouya inc.

You could say, why not just launch an O2 with ATV then and sell it at a HW profit. Ok , then it becomes another ATV console at a price point on par or probably worse than its bigger higher volume ATV console competitors.

Now this differs from Ouya trying to get Ouya Everywhere on ATV consoles. Of course they are going to try and get there store snuck into someone elses supermarket, its nothing but win for them. Whether they can pull that off, will have to see.

azsouthendzone
07-18-2014, 02:26 AM
Victor, I see what you are saying, but the scenario you describe where devs publish to Google Play instead of Ouya is already a problem so to speak. Ouya doesn't get a lot of the big names as is.

What Discover can be and how it can survive is that it's the store where the up and comer gets their shot, free of the red tape that so many describe when developing for the big boys. You can find the Amazing Frogs, the Towerfalls, ect. It doesn't need to compete with the Leo's Fortune, Dead Triggers, and Minecrafts.

Ouya has some brand equity. People are going to buy Android TV for gaming and a variety of reasons as well. I am buying one, but I would buy the Ouya 2 over an Asus, Razer, or whatever else is out there if that one had Discover.

Just my two cents. You can't stop what's coming. But you can be a part of it if done the right way.

Victor Coleiro
07-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Some Devs possibly publishing to Discover instead of Google play is for more reasons than simplicity. Its not that hard to get your game on the Play Store. In fact its quite simple relatively.
The reasons some devs have chosen Ouya and discover is because its a console designed solely for controller based games on the TV. The Play Store is designed and has games designed for phones and tablets with no controller. That's why devs who make controller games would be swayed to the discover store and Ouya.

Now , you said it yourself, your own words, the ATV store will be for games designed for the TV and controller. The issue of above is removed , that's why It wouldn't be a good idea for Ouya to have the ATV store, it would be a direct competitor that is attracting the same type of devs who want to build controller supported TV games.

I think in all honesty, if you think about what I'm saying, you know deep down that its the likely truth. OF course there is all likely hood that the controllers wouldn't be compatible anyway.

Of course it would be nice from a user perspective, but it would kill Ouya with almost 100% likly hood

flamepanther
07-18-2014, 02:43 AM
Victor, I see what you are saying, but the scenario you describe where devs publish to Google Play instead of Ouya is already a problem so to speak. Ouya doesn't get a lot of the big names as is.

What Discover can be and how it can survive is that it's the store where the up and comer gets their shot, free of the red tape that so many describe when developing for the big boys. You can find the Amazing Frogs, the Towerfalls, ect. It doesn't need to compete with the Leo's Fortune, Dead Triggers, and Minecrafts.

Ouya has some brand equity. People are going to buy Android TV for gaming and a variety of reasons as well. I am buying one, but I would buy the Ouya 2 over an Asus, Razer, or whatever else is out there if that one had Discover.

Just my two cents. You can't stop what's coming. But you can be a part of it if done the right way.

It's a tough sell to get any company to include a competing store. Some ATV boxes might include both because, like MOJO, they're just selling the hardware and don't really care where you buy the games. Other than that, I expect the eventual choice will be whether to get an Android TV and side load OUYA Everywhere, or get an OUYA and side load Google Play for Android TV. Not a bad scenario.

azsouthendzone
07-18-2014, 02:57 AM
It's a tough sell to get any company to include a competing store. Some ATV boxes might include both because, like MOJO, they're just selling the hardware and don't really care where you buy the games. Other than that, I expect the eventual choice will be whether to get an Android TV and side load OUYA Everywhere, or get an OUYA and side load Google Play for Android TV. Not a bad scenario.
Not bad at all. I'm just thinking this is a major opportunity for almost a rebranding, introducing Ouya to a second audience. I'm amazed at how many people haven't heard of it still but I think if they did they would be interested.

For me I would choose Android TV (when I see ATV I think Apple TV) simply because I want that UI and casting but having OE sideloaded if needs be would be a great addition and would be one less decision to make.

fireballs
07-27-2014, 08:16 AM
By saying that ouya would kill its own store if it was a ATV devices basically means that discover doesn't bring much to the table.

When people have asked for the play store on ouya people here always say why would you want the play store on OUYA? Ouya is a console with games made for a console and everything else is basically just a media device.

If discover is so great and are real console games compared to mobile games on all the other android devices then ouya would be fine as a ATV device. Now if discover is pretty much low quality games or the exact same game as other android devices but just costs more I could see concern over discover.

So my question is which is it? Does discover really bring anything to the table? Of so then why couldn't it coexist with a form of GP?

Personally if I could only have one store it would be GP by far. At one point they said something like 70% of owners hadn't even bought a game. I think that points to a majority of people sodeloading or loaded up GP. Ultimately I believe OUYA knows discover doesn't really bring much to the table in the grand scheme of things and that's why they are scared of competition.

Killswitch
07-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Personally if I could only have one store it would be GP by far. At one point they said something like 70% of owners hadn't even bought a game. I think that points to a majority of people sodeloading or loaded up GP. Ultimately I believe OUYA knows discover doesn't really bring much to the table in the grand scheme of things and that's why they are scared of competition.

Probably emulating more than using Google Play but whatever, doesn't matter. Another part of the equation that seems to get left out by all sides is that developers need to step their game up, stop doing lazy mobile ports, stop saying no one is buying games when they don't even promote the damned games, stop acting like OUYA is some dirty little secret that they can't talk about, stop acting like OUYA can't do this and can't do that...there are some things it can't but I've seen people making 2D games say that bullshit. Bah, I feel a post coming up.......

And the 2 can never coexist when Google will just bitchslap anyone who tries. There are probably deals in place where Google Play has to be the primary.

Victor Coleiro
07-27-2014, 01:48 PM
I thought the percentage of GP users who bought games was about the same as if not worse than Ouyas discover percentage.

Killswitch
07-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Probably is the same percentage or even worse but they have a lot more users.

timmytot666
07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
GPs percentage is probably much worse since almost 60% of their games are ad-based revenue makers people don't have to buy games for them to make money. On our specific console I'm sure the percentage of people who have bought a game went up lately. But Ouya's transparency is severely lacking. I'm hoping we get some more news in the future : D

13% of GP apps have malware in them apparently.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/17/comparing-apples-and-googles-the-app-store-vs-google-play-infographic/ some interesting stuff

Victor Coleiro
08-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I must admit I'm impressed with Ouyas ability to keep a secret. Normallly you would expect leaks and rumors about the release date of a product. I guess with only 40 people people, it's easier to ensure everyone keeps their mouth shut.

RiotingSpectre
08-04-2014, 02:42 AM
I must admit I'm impressed with Ouyas ability to keep a secret. Normallly you would expect leaks and rumors about the release date of a product. I guess with only 40 people people, it's easier to ensure everyone keeps their mouth shut.

(They'll never know...)
http://s28.postimg.org/pr4r6fulp/tumblr_mw3xag_Eq_M41sq4owno1_500.jpg

Jon_TWR
08-04-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd like to see an official announcement, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've kind of lost interest/faith in OUYA, but a new edition of the console might be just the thing to renew my interest.

fireballs
08-05-2014, 08:00 AM
I'd like to see an official announcement, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've kind of lost interest/faith in OUYA, but a new edition of the console might be just the thing to renew my interest.

Yeah same here, both of mine have been disconnected for about 6 weeks.

If 2.0 comes out after ATV then chances are slim I pick one up.

Im questioning if they sre even going to make 2.0. I really see no advantage of keeping 2.0 a secret unless your goal id to create the least amount of hype possible.

Victor Coleiro
08-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Interesting response from Julie re q's on Ouya 2

Timothy Jul 29
@juhrman @playouya Is the ouya 2 even coming out? Haven't really received an answer from anyone...

Julie Uhrman ‏@juhrman Jul 29
@Sky_tech99t @playouya we are working on it. Just want it to be ready.

Timothy ‏@Sky_tech99t Jul 30
@juhrman @playouya Do you mean like showing it in the best possible light?

Julie Uhrman Jul 30
‏@juhrman @Sky_tech99t @playouya best performance. We aren't rushing t.

fireballs
08-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Interesting response from Julie re q's on Ouya 2

Timothy Jul 29
@juhrman @playouya Is the ouya 2 even coming out? Haven't really received an answer from anyone...

Julie Uhrman ‏@juhrman Jul 29
@Sky_tech99t @playouya we are working on it. Just want it to be ready.

Timothy ‏@Sky_tech99t Jul 30
@juhrman @playouya Do you mean like showing it in the best possible light?

Julie Uhrman Jul 30
‏@juhrman @Sky_tech99t @playouya best performance. We aren't rushing t.
If it's not outdated by release and is pretty close to flawless it will be well worth the wait.

Victor Coleiro
08-07-2014, 05:58 AM
I think they will launch an Ouya 2 with a K1 and do it for much cheaper than everyone else can - due to their business model (of near cost on HW and profit on SW).

If they do can do that and get the basics working correctly. There's a chance Ouya 2 can blow the competition away.

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il██████OUYA 2████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

fireballs
08-07-2014, 07:44 AM
I think they will launch an Ouya 2 with a K1 and do it for much cheaper than everyone else can - due to their business model (of near cost on HW and profit on SW).

If they do can do that and get the basics working correctly. There's a chance Ouya 2 can blow the competition away.

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il██████OUYA 2████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

Yeah I hope so. Personally I will consider ATV competition and would be shocked if they blow Google out of the water. I think if they can just grab a decent slice and hold it that would be a huge victory for OUYA inc.

SlingShot
08-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Responses from Julie are encouraging. I have no problem waiting for them to properly QA the new console etc. The original Ouya is still delivering much entertainment for me.

Nitrogen_Widget
08-07-2014, 04:54 PM
how about cheaper touchpad-less controllers or the ability to remap any controller at the system level?

fireballs
08-08-2014, 07:30 AM
how about cheaper touchpad-less controllers or the ability to remap any controller at the system level?

Second part I'm completely on board with

Foppy
08-08-2014, 12:18 PM
You can't remove the touchpad though. It would break games or apps that use it. (And introduce more unwanted variation in hardware.)

Nitrogen_Widget
08-08-2014, 02:15 PM
You can't remove the touchpad though. It would break games or apps that use it. (And introduce more unwanted variation in hardware.)

I didn't say to get rid of the touch pad but to offer controllers without it.
you only need one controller with a touch pad.
there is no reason to have multiple controllers with a touch pad.

especially when I was able to buy 3 Rock Candy ps3 controllers with dongles for the price of one extra ouya controller with a touch pad.

Chromebookman
08-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Android TV is going to be the Big one to watch out for! The new Ouya needs to maintain respectable specs to keep its share. Look at the Fire's 2 gig of memory (I am not impressed with Fire TV's software layout) the specs are great its fast. I am willing to Pay the extra just make the specs impressive!!!!

Oh one last thing a really kewl marketing ploy leading up to the release I love the excitement waiting for release day it makes me a kid again:-))

Please do not double post. Use the edit button next time. --mmartino

Nitrogen_Widget
08-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Android TV is going to be the Big one to watch out for! The new Ouya needs to maintain respectable specs to keep its share. Look at the Fire's 2 gig of memory (I am not impressed with Fire TV's software layout) the specs are great its fast. I am willing to Pay the extra just make the specs impressive!!!!

Oh one last thing a really kewl marketing ploy leading up to the release I love the excitement waiting for release day it makes me a kid again:-))

Please do not double post. Use the edit button next time. --mmartino

Except, FireTV still hasn't killed OUYA like people claimed.
just like the other devices.
Mojo has better specs. they didn't kill OUYA.

The Nvidia Shield gaming tablet has a K1.
It's $300.

OUYA is about cheap gaming.
K1 <> cheap gaming.