PDA

View Full Version : 3D Game Support

Nathaniel Bennett
11-18-2013, 01:26 PM
One thing I love is 3D gaming. Some people think it's a gimmick, but with the ouya it's simply fantastic - I really believe it adds an extra dimension to the games.
How do I play them in 3D you ask? - I use the 2D to 3D conversion function on my TV - it's by far perfect - native 3D games are alot better, and so thats another one of my wishes.

So 3D support? We established why (because it's totally mind blowing), but what about, How , What, and When?

When?

I don't think it's a major priority.
We need to sort out issues with the controller, and add more community based functions to the OUYA (IE The OUYA Network , hehe :D),
along with settling down the amount of bugs, and further developing the Developer kit.

What?

I think OUYA should develop it's hardware around 3D. It will create a gimmick and get peoples interest away from Gamestick and other android powered game consoles coming out throughout the future months.

It is possible (even now) to develop 3D games for the OUYA - all it requires is rendering 2 frames side by side (think spilt screen multi-player) which renders the scene at two slightly different angles. TV's should then be able to pick this feed up and turn it into a 3D image.

This does however take it's toll on the hardware. Graphics will have to be minimized, as you literally rendering all the polygons twice over
(maybe some awesome processing algorithm can curve the processing expense - bare in mind, I'm not a professional 3D or graphics programmer.)

That's why I was thinking custom hardware setup - rolling 2 GPU's instead of the one, and having a core from the CPU to send parallel data to the GPU's - having them sync'd somehow... Again not a hardware or software expert. I will look into this more maybe.

That kinda answers the "How" as well.

3D is awesome.

spinal
11-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Don't forget, 3D games don't have to be rendered in 3D, there are plenty of examples of 2D games working perfectly well, such as most of the virtualboy games, some 3DS games like Paper Mario, Mutant Mudds etc.

Nathaniel Bennett
11-20-2013, 10:39 AM
My favourate games in stereo 3D is actually canabalt and Sine Mora.
Sonic likes pretty grand too...
No gravity - the space ship feels like it's hanging in mid air! and the asteriods really do come out of the screen.
Pinball is also a marvel
Chronoblade looks ok - would be 10x better in native 3D
Hero of many there is almost no depth at all, which is to be expected I suppose from a mostly black an white vector graphics game.

But yeah - in 3D the ouya really is in a league of it own - recommend anyone to try it!

Again I do wish for proper native stereo 3D, as you generally get a lot of phase problems, and the 3D effect is pretty much planed - ie you don't get rounded objects it's just like cards placed in 3D space - and this can sometimes look distorted.

James Andrew Coote
11-20-2013, 12:54 PM
How do you set it up? I assume you have to have a 3D TV first. Then you turn on 3D in Settings -> Advanced? Or does this work only with the specific games you mentioned?

mmartino
11-20-2013, 03:45 PM
James I know there is a 3D option in the advanced menu. Not sure about the rest as I don't have a 3D TV