PDA

View Full Version : Custom Portable OUYA Box

livingonwheels
11-14-2013, 09:38 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/oho306.jpg[/IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2zo93wo.jpghttp://i41.tinypic.com/264s101.jpghttp://i44.tinypic.com/30xa1b4.jpg[/IMG]

This is a portable OUYA my son and I put together.
It started with 2 $5 wooden boxes from Michael's Craft Store.I needed two so that I could have 2 bottoms like you see in the pictures.It was impossible to fit everything in just one layer.I just removed the bottom from one box and attached it to the bottom of the main box.
My son stained the outside and painted the inside.
The screen is a 6.5" lcd screen with a controller board.
The speaker is a small rechargeable amplified 'hamburger' speaker.The screen did not have sound output so I had to use a splitter that splits the sound from the hdmi(basically giving the Ouya a headphone jack).
It is powered by 2 Power Banks(one 12v for the Ouya and one 5v for the screen).The one on the left is for the screen,the larger one on the right is to power the Ouya.
The hdmi cable are 6" each.There are 2 of them because of the need of the hdmi sound splitter.
The Power Banks,Splitter and all cables are kept in the bottom half of the case.You only need to open up the bottom half to turn on/off the Power Banks or for recharging.
The micro sd card and adapter are there because I'm part of the external storage beta program.I'm using a Kingston 64gb micro sd without any issues.

Jakenut86
11-14-2013, 09:40 PM
That thing is sweet :D good work

Kaimega
11-14-2013, 09:41 PM
have to admit: pretty cool!

derty
11-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Haha hells ya!
This thing is dope as shit.
It almost has a steam punk look to it :D
Great job.

JerTM
11-15-2013, 02:32 AM
I was looking for a way to make the a OUYA portable, specifically for the car. What powers your portable? Do you mind listing components you used to make your portable? Great ideas!

livingonwheels
11-15-2013, 03:03 AM
The screen is a "HDMI+VGA+2AV+Remote LCD controller Board+6.5" INNOLUX AT065TN14 50 Pin",but if I would do it again,I would choose a screen with speaker output.This screen was originally for a 'cotton candy' usb computer and we used bluetooth sound.But the Ouya's bluetooth sound output was extremely laggy so I had to buy the hdmi sound splitter you see in the pictures.By the way,my screen runs on 5v,but larger screens may not.
The power supplies are 2 power banks.One is 5v for the screen "Power Bank 5600mAh External Battery Charger for iPhone 5 4S Mini i9300 N7100 S4".I had to buy a cheap usb to 5mm barrel jack to connect the bank to the screen.
The other poer bank is actually a "Rechargeable 4800mAh Lithium Ion Mobile Battery Pack & DC Connector, 12-volt".
I used 2 "0.3m HDMI Cable Switch Adaptor V1.3 short HDMI cables".But if you get a screen with sound output,you'll only need 1 and you'll save space.
The speaker is a "SODIAL Black Mini Portable Travel Bass Speaker".I tried other speakers,but either they were too high that I couldn't shut the case,or they were not loud enough.
The case was found in the wood section of Michael's Crafts.I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the first tray to run the cables,but it quite thin so I did it with a razor blade.The speaker is held in place by a small velcro strip.The screen is held with thin double sided tape(the foam kind).Everything in the lower half of the case(power supplies,splitter,wires,hdmi cables)are fit in quite snuggly and there was no need to tape or velcro anything in place,but I suppose you could if you want to.When the bottom is closed,nothing moves or shakes around at all.The Ouya is actually held in place very securely by the hdmi cable and the side of the case(see pics).

That splitter in your link is not an hdmi audio splitter.The one you have there seems to split the hdmi signal so you can display the same image on two separate tv's at the same time.At any rate,I don't see any reason why either of the splitters wouldn't work with your stock Ouya.

nchantmnt
11-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Loving it ;-)
But two things:
Have you tried to run your OUYA in 5v?
Should be possible without a problem and you can reduce it to one power Bank.
And what about a small USB "soundcard" with headphone jack?

livingonwheels
11-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I tried two different 5v power banks with the Ouya,but neither would power it for some reason.It would just power it enough to spin the fan a half a turn and then shut down.My original intention was just what you mention.
I also tried a usb soundcard in the Ouya's usb slot,but for some odd reason the usb soundcard only works with the Ouya if an hdmi cable is not plugged into the Ouya.As soon as you attach an hdmi cable to the Ouya,the usb soundcard stops outputting sound.I tried everything to get it to work but to no avail.Hdmi would somehow 'shut off' the soundcard.Both of your suggestions would have saved space and money,and was in my original plans.

Michael Thompson
11-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Very cool project!
Very clean, and well put together.

Nice!

Candy Cab
11-28-2013, 12:40 AM
That's pretty cool. Love this sort of tinkering myself.

Gets me wondering what Ben Heckendorn would do with one :smile-new:

Hydrus
11-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Gets me wondering what Ben Heckendorn would do with one :smile-new:

My thoughts exactly. I'm still waiting to see what he'll come up with. OUYA laptop maybe?

DrunkPunk
12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
This is awesome! I had thought about getting a board for an old 10.2" screen I have laying around. Now that I know it will work, I'll have to get off my ass and build!

Thanks for sharing! :D

Eucrow
12-25-2013, 05:00 PM
This is really cool! I've spent the last few days making a handheld ouya ( http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8690-Ouya-Handheld-W-I-P ) though I could use a smaller screen. Ended up in this thread hoping that someone had figured out how to run it off of 5v. Awesome father son project!