PDA

View Full Version : Bitcoins.

jonbonazza
10-24-2013, 02:58 PM
I want to be able to pay for games in Bitcoins.

Also, if multiple currencies are eventually supported, it would be ice if I didn't have to set myd efault currency ins ettings and change it when I want to pay in something else. Maybe There could be a wallet feature like on the 360 or even when I go to buy something, I just choose my method of payment right then and there?

simple-smile
10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Minority feature, dontyathink?

Cherry_Balloon
10-24-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm just sitting her waiting for Pay Pal.

RiotingSpectre
10-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Minority feature, dontyathink?

Apparently it's taking over a lot of things such as cafes and bars and only getting stronger. I think for now it could be passed, but maybe in the future?... Who knows. I don't know much about bitcoins other than they're spreading around the globe like a infection.

simple-smile
10-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Sorry, I wasn't very clear: I was mainly puzzled by the need to switch currencies on the go. Although bitcoins seem a minority feature, too. Maybe for now.

jonbonazza
10-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Right now, switching currencies would be uselss, yes, but if they implement something like bitcoins or even ouya points or something, then it would be nice to say " hmm I have .004 BTC. I think I'll pay for it in BTC instead of USD today." or "Hmm this game is .007 BTC, but I only have .004. Guess i'll pay for it in USD."

Reaperman
10-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I dunno. I hold a fair bit of it from way back, but it's so hard to use I've never really bought *anything* with it outside of a little gambling. It's a lot harder to move around that 'real money' and I'm just not sure there would be many purchases with it. Prices and fees tend to be sky-high on places that take it too.

I'd think that a middleman selling dollar-value ouya codes and systems is a lot more likely. (as is done with steam codes, or gift cards) Those kind of things generally turn out to be a huge ripoff, though.

mmartino
10-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Never heard of bitcoins but wouldn't it make more sense to use real currency? Businesses used to use custom business currency to raise prices but keep it less noticeable to customers... not sure I like the idea. I want to know how much real world currency I am spending personally

jonbonazza
10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
I dunno. I hold a fair bit of it from way back, but it's so hard to use I've never really bought *anything* with it outside of a little gambling. It's a lot harder to move around that 'real money' and I'm just not sure there would be many purchases with it. Prices and fees tend to be sky-high on places that take it too.

I'd think that a middleman selling dollar-value ouya codes and systems is a lot more likely. (as is done with steam codes, or gift cards) Those kind of things generally turn out to be a huge ripoff, though.

With China backing bitcoins attempting to make it their second currency, I think that you are going to start seeing more and more use for them. Their value has almost tripled in a week. Also, implementing bitcoin purchases is easy as cake, especially since their are no financial institutions hoops to jump through.

Just to clarify, bitcoins ARE a real currency.

Never heard of bitcoins but wouldn't it make more sense to use real currency? Businesses used to use custom business currency to raise prices but keep it less noticeable to customers... not sure I like the idea. I want to know how much real world currency I am spending personally

EDIT: Also, if they did implement this, they could get a HUGE amount of publicity and press, which would be a good thing any way you look at it.

Jon_TWR
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Except most people in the US who know about bitcoins view the currency as shady at best...and for the average public, not having to comply with banking regulations is a BAD thing. I don't see this as a good idea for Ouya unless there are some drastic changes to the way bitcoins are viewed.

PayPal would be nice to see as an option, though. :)

mmartino
10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Just to clarify, bitcoins ARE a real currency.

Ok sorry I just never heard of them. Do you know what their worth is backed by?

spinal
10-28-2013, 05:41 PM
This was mentioned on the other forum a little while ago. I personally think it's a crazy stupid idea. If any of you try to pay for any of my future OUYA games with bitcoin, you can also go around to my energy supplier, landlord and supermarket and explain why I'll be paying my bills with imaginary money.

timmytot666
10-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Lolol. We could also use linden which is the money system in second life :-)

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

mmartino
10-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Lolol. We could also use linden which is the money system in second life :-)

Maybe, but I have tons of Gil saved up from all my final fantasy days just burning a hole in my pocket lol.

timmytot666
10-28-2013, 09:07 PM
You can actually exchange your linden in for money though lol

Hydrus
10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Fun fact: 1 bitcoin = 195 USD

http://preev.com/

http://bitcoinexchangerate.org/c/USD/1

I don't know how OUYA would implement a system like this. Unless you plan to buy the whole Discover store, I don't see a use for this. The value of the bitcoin changes dramatically, I can see some mad customers if they were to implement this. I think they should just stick to everyday currencies.

jonbonazza
10-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Fun fact: 1 bitcoin = 195 USD

http://preev.com/

http://bitcoinexchangerate.org/c/USD/1

I don't know how OUYA would implement a system like this. Unless you plan to buy the whole Discover store, I don't see a use for this. The value of the bitcoin changes dramatically, I can see some mad customers if they were to implement this. I think they should just stick to everyday currencies.

1 bitcoin is worth that much, yes, but 1 bitcoin isn't the smallest increment. You can go all the way down to a satoshi (.00000001 or 1 hundred millionth of a bitcoin). It is directly exchangable for USD or any other currency via online trade centers, such as Bitinstant or even Mt. Gox.

EDIT: Also, people who view them as shady, simply don't understand them or their purpose.

EDIT 2: In fact, due to the fact that they are PURE MATH, they are actually the purest and most "honest" form of currency to ever exist.

InvaderGames
10-29-2013, 12:12 AM
EDIT 2: In fact, due to the fact that they are PURE MATH, they are actually the purest and most "honest" form of currency to ever exist.
That ^

Bitcoins are the coinage of the future imho, there is no way to trick its system, noone can take advantage of it, you just cant fake a transfer, you can track illegal transactions all the way down to the address that mined the coins in the first place (and that is publicly available too), it is not regulated by any public entity, you can make direct transfers to anyone in the world without paying any fees to any third party entity, it is not affected by political measures, inflation and stuff alike, it is completely open sourced and its value will do nothing but to grow exponentially over the years, even more when the mining ceases (around 2025 people say, probably sooner at the current growth rates).

Implementing a bitcoin payement in OUYA should not be as hard for them, but I dont see it coming anytime soon. Especially if they lack options as basic as PayPal (currentyl PayPal SDK does not even work on the OUYA, so they havent even tried to add it or fix it)

Maybe when the Bitcoin value surpasses the $1000 USD/BTC people will start looking at it as a real income option.. who knows.. ill just stash what I have for a while :P

Schizophretard
10-29-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm all for Bitcoins but the purest and most honest form of currency to ever exist seems to be an exaggeration. The mining and scarcity of them was designed to copy gold and silver. Gold and silver are the most honest forms of currency to ever exist. That is why Bitcoins are designed to be digitized versions of them. Now if the statement was in comparison to the USD then it would be correct because the USD is no longer backed by gold and silver. The Federal Reserve just prints money out of thin air.

jonbonazza
10-29-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm all for Bitcoins but the purest and most honest form of currency to ever exist seems to be an exaggeration. The mining and scarcity of them was designed to copy gold and silver. Gold and silver are the most honest forms of currency to ever exist. That is why Bitcoins are designed to be digitized versions of them. Now if the statement was in comparison to the USD then it would be correct because the USD is no longer backed by gold and silver. The Federal Reserve just prints money out of thin air.

I do see your point, however what ultimately drove me to my conclusion is that gold and silver can be "faked". Bitcoins cannot. Perhaps the potential of fraud doesn't really matter when speaking of honesty and purity, but in my opinion, it does, so that's why I came to the conclusion that I did.

xAD
11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
I want to pay in Pyramid Schemes, too!

jbrodack
11-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Though it isn't completely needed it would be a nice feature and supporting it would look good for Ouya as an innovator.

It isn't a pyramid scheme or a virtual currency tied a game or anything like that. There are currency exchanges for it and it is as legitimate as a digital currency can be. It's tied to a lot of shady things because it's harder to track down a bitcoin address to a person who hasn't made that address public, than it is to track down someone's credit card. However, it is getting more and more legitimate use as time goes on. I know humble bundle accepts bitcoins.

Saying it isn't worth it for Ouya to support makes some sense but to make fun of the currency just shows you don't know very much about it.

Hydrus
11-07-2013, 11:46 PM
1 week ago: 1 BTC = $195 USD

Today: 1 BTC = $288.53 USD

Crazy...

RiotingSpectre
11-07-2013, 11:48 PM
1 week ago: 1 BTC = $195 USD

Today: 1 BTC = $288.53 USD

Crazy...

Yeah, those things fluctuate more sporadically than my mood. As I said before, it could be a option for the future. A good option is something we don't know yet.

Karyyk
11-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Bitcoin is probably a bit too fluid right now to be considered for payment for low-profit margin items (the profits from one day could easily amount to a deficit by the next). That said, the upward trend in value is hard to deny. You can laugh and joke all you want about "fake currency," but value is ultimately decided by what and how much I can buy with it. If people decide it has value, then it has value, as crazy as it might seem to those who make the decision that it doesn't (just as someone from 100 years ago wouldn't put much worth into a currency note that has no real backing behind it).

The problem is that now, it's kind of hard to mine the stuff. The difficulty is so high that only those with deep pockets can afford to mine anything but a very negligible (and likely fractional) number of coins. It's become a business where the lionshare of the currency is controlled by a small percentage of individuals...kind of like any other monetary system.

At least the Humble Bundle takes bitcoin.

InvaderGames
11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
It's become a business where the lionshare of the currency is controlled by a small percentage of individuals...kind of like any other monetary system.

This is not true at all, it is actually how the system is designed!

The more people mine and use the currency, the harder it gets to mine new blocks, that is how the currency make grow its value, by adding more difficulty to get new coins, just like gold, for the sake of comparission.
The key difference is that NO ONE can have control over the network, that is the only potential flaw of the Bitcoin P2P network, if someone takes over 70% of the network they can potentially disrupt the entire system, but again, 70% of the whole network on only a couple people is INSANE, and in the coming years it will be even more insane, since the network is growing so fast.

jonbonazza
11-13-2013, 03:27 PM
For the record, 1BTC = $400 USD now. ;)

Prometheus
11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Couldn't this be used as a means to gamble?

Schizophretard
11-13-2013, 10:49 PM

To my understanding it is more of a free market freedom oriented currency instead of state controlled and regulated monopoly money. So, imagine what kind of transactions could be done if society was a completely free society with a totally free market and what type of transactions you could do. That would give you your answer.

Reaperman
11-13-2013, 10:50 PM

The same way one would gamble with stocks or commodities, yes. I've recently cashed out of BTC to USD. Waiting for it to drop again.

For the record, I'm not actually a huge btc fan. I don't like that it's essentially a bunch of nerds who wanted to rich and invented a very silly way for that to be true. But, as long as a bunch of other idiots (such as myself) keep buying into it, there is value there.

What I don't get: as difficulty climbs and people stop mining, how do we expect to process transactions in a timely way? How are the 99% going to get spent when the 1% is mining? I'm sure there must be an answer for it, but I'm not that 'in the loop.'

InvaderGames
11-13-2013, 10:56 PM
The same way one would gamble with stocks or commodities, yes. I've recently cashed out of BTC to USD. Waiting for it to drop again.

For the record, I'm not actually a huge btc fan. I don't like that it's essentially a bunch of nerds who wanted to rich and invented a very silly way for that to be true. But, as long as a bunch of other idiots (such as myself) keep buying into it, there is value there.

What I don't get: as difficulty climbs and people stop mining, how do we expect to process transactions in a timely way? How are the 99% going to get spent when the 1% is mining? I'm sure there must be an answer for it, but I'm not that 'in the loop.'

Once people stop mining BTC will loose its value and difficulty on the network will drop to adjust. But I dont see that happening.. ever.. or at least not for for a good bunch of years (and I mean like 10+ years)

People will not stop mining because the difficulty increases, if anything, difficulty only increases because MORE people is mining. that also makes transactions faster because there are more servers to process transactions.

Reaperman
11-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Once people stop mining BTC will loose its value and difficulty on the network will drop to adjust. But I dont see that happening.. ever.. or at least not for for a good bunch of years (and I mean like 10+ years)

People will not stop mining because the difficulty increases, if anything, difficulty only increases because MORE people is mining. that also makes transactions faster because there are more servers to process transactions.

But since there will only be 21million btc to mine, and the payout halves every four years, there will be a point where the last few btc will be so unprofitable that I fear there won't be enough mining power to process the transation of the other 20+ million coins. BTC seems to have a life expectancy. It does not seem designed to last forever.

InvaderGames
11-13-2013, 11:42 PM
But since there will only be 21million btc to mine, and the payout halves every four years, there will be a point where the last few btc will be so unprofitable that I fear there won't be enough mining power to process the transation of the other 20+ million coins. BTC seems to have a life expectancy. It does not seem designed to last forever.

Transaction fees will be then: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths#After_21_million_coins_are_mined.2C_no_one_w ill_generate_new_blocks

Your point is valid trough, the BTC value may drop after the 21 millon is reached, but it may also make it stronger (think what happenes with gold). There is no way of knowing how users will react to the variables (rarity of currency will increase, there will be more transaction fees, high prices per BTC unit)

Reaperman
11-15-2013, 11:15 PM
well, like a lot of folks seem to be doing, I've turned some of my profits into my first real BTC mining hardware and they arrived today. Nothing fancy--just a couple $20 block erupters to see how it all works. I'd been casually mining LTC using a graphics card, but this should be much easier on the energy bill. Of course I bought some pretty low-end stuff (should be 660mh/s or so) so I'm mostly just playing. That speed is *well* out of the range of my GPU, however, and would have been considered mildly awesome just a few months ago.

Hydrus
11-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Speaking of bitcoins, I'm not sure if they'll survive enough for OUYA to implement them. I just read an article and it said that the creator of bitcoins is possibly linked to evil things.

mmartino
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Speaking of bitcoins, I'm not sure if they'll survive enough for OUYA to implement them. I just read an article and it said that the creator of bitcoins is possibly linked to evil things.

Bitcoins in most countries are used for "shady" activity. Its nothing new. What would you expect from a pyramid scheme lol. But don't worry you can just use any of the 54+ virtual currencies that have additional "shady" people associated with it lol.

Here is a link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptocurrencies

Good news if you had a Quarkcoin, it went up 200% this week lol

Schizophretard
12-04-2013, 04:24 PM

How wouldn't they survive because of that?

jbrodack
12-04-2013, 06:24 PM

What article? I don't think anyone knows even who the creator is besides an alias of Satoshi Nakamoto. It wouldn't matter how shady the creator is since it's a decentralized currency. Maybe you heard about the silk road being taken down which, while a popular illegal use of bitcoins, has no ties to the currency itself.

Bitcoin value has been going up like crazy especially with reports of governments starting to take it seriously and bitcoins getting more popular in certain countries.. I made a little bit of money on the little bit I bought but wish I had bought more now. Maybe bitcoin itself will lose popularity and value at some point but I think the idea of cryptocurrency is here to stay. If bitcoin fades away another cryptocurrency will take it's place.

Hydrus
12-05-2013, 02:48 AM
I can't find the exact article, I remember my programming teacher explaining it and he even linked the article itself. I have no proof though, so count my words as a lie.

Speaking of bitcoins, OUYA accepts bitcoins now (https://twitter.com/playouya/status/408386022947307520). Looks like I was wrong, they did survive long enough to be on OUYA.

Schizophretard
12-05-2013, 06:41 AM
I can't find the exact article, I remember my programming teacher explaining it and he even linked the article itself. I have no proof though, so count my words as a lie.

Speaking of bitcoins, OUYA accepts bitcoins now (https://twitter.com/playouya/status/408386022947307520). Looks like I was wrong, they did survive long enough to be on OUYA.

Didn't see that coming. Now they just have to allow it for buying games.

helendouglas
01-02-2014, 09:29 AM
There are some micro transactions that offers zero fees but it's very limited per transaction. Have you tried it yet? Try Paypal, so far it's a great option.

flammablepiss
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Couldn't you use something like BitCC (a top up bitcoin credit card?). Then you would be able to buy games in bitcoin using the Ouya store...
I only use bitcoins for 2 things... one making small sums of money... and two, ordering takeaways when my bitcoins have gone up in value.