PDA

View Full Version : How about some pre-installed games?

zeha
10-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Of course there might be some more important issues currently, but anyway, I thought I'd ask you what would you think about buying an OUYA with some games already pre-installed?

It won't matter much for those people who already have their OUYA, of course, but for new customers I think it might be a nice thing to have maybe 5-8 games already on the console, just in order to be able to directly connect the console and try it out, especially if they have slow internet connection or none at all (e.g. imagine someone buying an OUYA somewhere on vacation or whatever).

What do you think?

DrunkPunk
10-23-2013, 01:29 PM
That sounds like a good idea to me!

mmartino
10-23-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't know with limited space and the bloatware some companies put on systems, I can see many users just getting there systems and wiping them first. I know I would

zeha
10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes, I also do that with laptops etc. But I wouldn't consider a few pre-installed games "bloatware". Also, maybe they shouldn't choose the most space-consuming ones...

masvil
10-23-2013, 03:57 PM
It should be a good (and needed) market choise.

timmytot666
10-23-2013, 04:10 PM
I'd suggest a couple small free ones like Sansoram3D and Muffin Knight.

ezraanderson
10-23-2013, 04:46 PM
~
Yes, Free games with small filesize pre-installed would be an acceptable way to promote the OUYA.

watson387
10-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Free games would be cool but I think demos should be out of the question. I know when I get a new device and demos are prominent I get rid of them straight away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Schizophretard
10-24-2013, 12:51 AM
If there were games pre-installed then those games would get a huge advantage with the O-RANK which wouldn't be fair for other developers. The games could also be games they don't like and buying it somewhere with no internet connection wouldn't do them any good because making your account happens online. Also, they would still have to enter credit card information and all the other stuff that goes along with setting it up like downloading the updates. Does a new OUYA have to download every single firmware update or does the latest always have everything in it from the past ones? Anyway, I think the latest firmware should be pre-installed and they include one of their $25 gift cards with it. Having the latest firmware installed would have many of the issues we had to wait to get fixed already fixed. Some of those issues are internet connection issues which gave some people trouble to get it to update in the first place. They wouldn't have to go through any of that. Their OUYA would come updated. The $25 gift card would help with the issues that come with having to enter a credit card upfront. People won't have to think things like,"How secure is my credit card information?", "I don't have a credit card, so how do I get in?", "What if my kids accidentally buy games?", and so forth. It would be their "key" to get in without any paranoia about their credit card, it would let them know that these gift cards exist, it will get them buying games and used to how everything works out the door, it won't affect the O-RANK because they will choose the games, and developers would be making more money. Therefore, I vote no. All that is needed to make their first experience better with how the OUYA is currently set up would be updated firmware and a $25 gift card.

zeha
10-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes, those pre-installed games would have a huge advantage of course. But on the other hand, we already have "featured" games, so I wouldn't call the Discover page 100% equal right now as well.

As for that included gift card, I think that would be nice, but I think that could be a cost problem. In effect, that would make the Ouya $25 cheaper, and it's already pretty cheap. I'm not sure if Ouya Inc. could handle that. Maybe $15 or $10 would be more realistic.

Schizophretard
10-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Yes, those pre-installed games would have a huge advantage of course. But on the other hand, we already have "featured" games, so I wouldn't call the Discover page 100% equal right now as well.

As for that included gift card, I think that would be nice, but I think that could be a cost problem. In effect, that would make the Ouya $25 cheaper, and it's already pretty cheap. I'm not sure if Ouya Inc. could handle that. Maybe $15 or $10 would be more realistic.

I don't really like featured either. LOL! How does it work anyway? Does OUYA pick games that they like, developers pay for it, or both? Anyway, according to OUYA they are releasing new OUYA's every year because the price of the chips drop. In between time the price that they can sell the OUYA for could drop but instead of lowering the price of the OUYA they could leave it at $99 and make up the difference with software sales by including gift cards. $25 might not be the exact amount that it has went down but they could afford to lose a little because it would increase game sales which is an issue and that would bring in more developers that bring in more gamers... Also, it would cause less refunds because it with the pre-installed updates and the gift cards making it easier to get set up would make it a more satisfying first impression.

It would still cost $99.99 because until the card is used OUYA doesn't lose any of the $25. OUYA gets 30% of sales so if someone spent the whole card then OUYA would still get $7.50 of it. The developers would get $17.50. That would make the price of the OUYA in the "worst" case scenario $82.49 with $7.50 of it being software sales.

The "worst" case scenario is actually a good one. Developers would get $17.50. If someone spent the whole $25 then they must like OUYA games and would most likely spend more. That is the kind of customers they want. I think it would be a pretty good situation if every OUYA between now and OUYA 2.0 had a $25 gift card and every gift card was completely spent. That mixed with USB support coming would give a lot of money to developers and change the low percentage of customers who have bought games. I don't know what it is now but wasn't it something like only 27% of customers have bought games? That is an issue and developers not getting sales is an issue. It would be like an "economic stimulus package" to encourage more game development and more game sales.

The best case scenario is pretty good too. That would be the people who buy it for emulation and/or XBMC only who refuse to buy games. In that scenario they won't even use the card and OUYA would keep the whole $25.

Of course there would be a lot of people in between the two extremes that only partially spend the card. But on one end of the spectrum OUYA is getting $99.99 and on the other they are getting $82.49. So, it would average out around $91.24 per OUYA which is around your $10 gift card suggestion but with the "economic stimulus package" benefits I described and the benefits of very satisfied customers from better first impressions added.

Also, think of this. Which would make you a more satisfied customer? 5-8 free pack in games that you may or may not like, you would still have to enter a credit card and an internet connection to get access to them, and then discover that in Discover there are all kinds of free games that in a sense are already pack in games? Or get $25 worth of pack in games that you get to choose yourself in addition to all the free games already on it, you never have to get out your credit card until you have spent that $25, and you might not even enter your credit card at all because the gift card being included would educate you that they exist? All you would need is the OUYA with updated firmware, the gift card, and an internet connection to have everything you need to get started. It would be a win-win for you, for developers, and for OUYA.

timmytot666
10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
holy crap logic. you there. Go fix congress.

Sent from my OUYA Console using Tapatalk 2

RiotingSpectre
10-24-2013, 01:26 PM
My Overly Long Book.

http://s8.postimg.org/qgp23ayd1/3772501_ab3ccbddd9b5564bbc957434b8bab230.gif

timmytot666
10-24-2013, 01:28 PM
one word: package

Sent from my OUYA Console using Tapatalk 2

mmartino
10-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah I would have to agree with you zeha. $25 would be like 5+ games for free and 25% decrease in profit from each unit. I Think that would be way too much for them.

Schizo the firmware that is on the systems was the newest when shipped. New systems being manufactured get whatever the current build is. You have to remember that a system is built, packaged, shipped to distributor, possible shipped to retail location, and then eventually purchased. Could be months and usually is. After all of that time the only way to keep them up to date would be to have an Ouya employee travel around the world and do updates on all Ouyas in stores and inventory for each update. I don't think that would happen. And no the updates are not incremental. The newest image is all that's needed to be running the latest.

Alex Ross Shaw
10-31-2013, 10:25 PM
I had the exact same thought re: bundled games, it makes sense to me. It gives an advantage to those bundled in but so what? It's hardly the end of the world. Bundle it in with a bunch of free games and maybe a couple of paid-for ones as 'freebies', e.g. Knightmare Tower or something. Ouya with 10 free games for $99 sounds a lot more alluring than Ouya for $99.

I suppose if they want to be equitable to all devs and the o-rank (given you can't see the o-rank except on their site I'm not sure how important it is to be honest) you could argue they're kinda doing this by offering the gift card with it - but I always think bundling with games sounds better, especially if they did a deal with a dev to have their paid-for app bundled in.

Easier for companies that have a publishing side I suppose e.g. Alex Kidd in Master System's.