PDA

View Full Version : The OuyaBuntu Hub

OuyaBuntu
12-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Hey guys and gals welcome to The OuyaBuntu Hub! Here, we will talk about the OuyaBuntu platform - Ubuntu for Ouya! The idea is to use Ouya's hardware and supply a free OS to create a $99 full featured PC that can go head to head with the Mac Mini. Like the idea? Go to www.twitter.com/breakingben4eva and retweet my Ouya tweets to help out! Thanks!

batCrazy
12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I really like the sound of this. My only question is, Will this be a reliable PC? Does the OUYA have enough hardware to really be a decent PC running OUYABuntu?

Dermac
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I really like the sound of this. My only question is, Will this be a reliable PC? Does the OUYA have enough hardware to really be a decent PC running OUYABuntu?

Ubuntu is stable on a single core Pentium 4, albeit not that fast. The quad-core chipset in the Ouya should be enough horsepower to run Ubuntu with few apps open. Storage will need to be worked out but a USB solution should be sufficient.

OuyaBuntu
12-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Yes, this will run very fast. Ubuntu for Android will run on the same kernel as Android, and with a plethora of optimizations made specifically for Ouya, OuyaBuntu will compete very closely with Mac Mini.

Thank you for your interest!
-OuyaBuntu

OuyaBuntu
12-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Ubuntu is stable on a single core Pentium 4, albeit not that fast. The quad-core chipset in the Ouya should be enough horsepower to run Ubuntu with few apps open. Storage will need to be worked out but a USB solution should be sufficient.

You will certainly have options with USB config and storage. You can just use the internal storage and the conroller, use a flash drive or external HDD and the controller or use a USB hub to hook up external drives with a keyboard and mouse.

Thanks for your interest!
-OuyaBuntu

TheXenocide
12-18-2012, 04:06 PM
I quite like the idea of this. With the mention of Ubuntu for Android, does this mean we will be able to run Ubuntu as an App off an unmodified (still game market accessible) Ouya? I'm personally attached to the idea of running as much of the Ubuntu resources as possible off an external HDD so I can save room for games (assuming both are possible on the same console *crosses fingers*).

user82
02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I am really looking forward to it...especially thinking about buying an ouya just as desktop pc because it will support everything you need for working!

d_brennen
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I am really looking forward to it...especially thinking about buying an ouya just as desktop pc because it will support everything you need for working!

I was thinking the same

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1285-Ouya-as-a-replacement-for-EVERYTHING

:)

OuyaBuntu
02-08-2013, 11:07 PM
I read the thread link that you posted, and it definitely describes OuyaBuntu's goal: do anything. As an average user, you can do office stuff, a little editing, coding, etc. But the Tegra 3 is extremely powerful...and with root access you can overclock. If you overclock and use a good cooling solution, the possibilities are limetless.

oO Flowzilla Oo
05-12-2013, 02:59 AM
I like Ubuntu. I think it's better than Windows in almost everything. The only thing that kills it is the lack of support. Very few games, apps, etc... when compared to Windows.

Boerseun
05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
If you could get Ubuntu running on OUYA, does that mean you could install Steam for Linux on it?

The T33 in the OUYA is a fairly meaty chip. If drivers aren't an issue (and Nvidia have far better Linux drivers than AMD) then we could be playing Killing Floor on OUYA through Steam for Linux in the near future. (I mention Killing Floor because it's available on Steam for Linux, and looks and plays great even on lower end PCs.)

Magnesus
05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
If you could get Ubuntu running on OUYA, does that mean you could install Steam for Linux on it?

No, Steam for Linux is for x86 only and games are compiled for x86. OUYA is ARM which is something completely different from x86.

Boerseun
05-13-2013, 02:50 PM
No, Steam for Linux is for x86 only and games are compiled for x86. OUYA is ARM which is something completely different from x86.

What about using a virtual machine, WINE, for example?

Magnesus
05-13-2013, 02:56 PM
It would need to emulate x86 on an ARM, that would be slow as hell. Quad-core A9 in Tegra3 is comparable to old single core x86, they are good for battery life, but much slower than x86.

DrunkPunk
05-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Glad to see this happening! I'll be keeping my eye on the developement of OuyaBuntu for sure.

GravityGamesInteractive
05-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Sounds like a nice idea. Out of curiosity, will you also have a seperate app store? (Not that the Ouya needs one, I'm just curious, since Ubuntu for PC has an app store and I'd like to bring my games to as many developer friendly markets as possible.)

DrunkPunk
05-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Any updates on this by chance?

rosse119
06-03-2013, 12:40 PM
id be interested in using my Ouya as a pc :nevreness:

Cody Jackson
06-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Let's say that I go ahead and load this into my ouya would it be reversible?

Wolverine-_-_-
06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't think this is happening. OP hasn't updated in 4 months, and I made the mistake of looking at his Twitter feed. Don't get your hopes up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SlingShot
06-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I love this idea.

Brinson
06-16-2013, 04:55 PM
This is a good idea, but nothing the OP has said makes me think he actually has the ability to follow through. Mentioning that this would compete closely with the mac mini on speed is ridiculous. A tegra 3 won't compete with an i5/i7.

maltanar
06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
There are already releases for Ubuntu on several ARM based boards, one of them being a Tegra 2: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TEGRA/AC100 - and you probably heard about Ubuntu running on phones (though the edge scrolling stuff wouldn't necessarily go so well with Ouya)

With drivers and hardware acceleration in place, I'm certain it would run at a decent speed. Looking up 'Ubuntu ARM hardware acceleration' on YouTube may give some ideas. Things like Steam and Wine emulation for Windows games are unfortunately off the charts due to reasons mentioned in previous posts :)

t_ras
07-12-2013, 10:06 PM
I would love to have Ubuntu on OUYAs HW!

Manaurys
07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Is this still alive i would love to be working on Ubuntu

Manysounds
01-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Bump for the ultimate idea. Super simple $99 computer for grandma, dual boot virus free online TV browser for me

Eldon.McGuinness
01-28-2014, 09:31 PM
I seem to recall a Debian on OUYA setup somewhere on the interwebs, but not sure how far they got with it.

dougunder
02-06-2014, 06:39 PM
The Debian install is pretty good, all things considered.
My opinion is that XFCE LXDE etc are not great for a 10ft+ away display, and arm devices don't really have the power to run something like KDE plasma well. I guess if your actually using it as a PC (monitor a foot or two away) debian should work fine right know. If you want a cheap virus free PC for granny, your probably better getting a Craigslist PC and throwing Linux on it. The Ouya doesn't really have the inputs/outputs you would want, never mind the lag trying to work off a usb2 / and /home.

I have high hopes for a libhybris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybris_%28software%29) solution to allow Linux programs to run within android, such as what this gentoo project (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android) is shooting for.

That would allow you to run the GPL stuff you want, such Abiword, Gnumeric and desktop Firefox while still using the Android UI and retaining access to the DRM stuff that will never come to a pure Linux install.

Best of both words.

timmytot666
02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Bump for the ultimate idea. Super simple $99 computer for grandma, dual boot virus free online TV browser for me

Why not just use the ouya for grandma too? I have firefox, keyboard, and mouse with it. Does all the internetting I want.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2