PDA

View Full Version : Codename 4Play - Coming Soon

Killswitch
10-09-2013, 01:13 AM
People have been wondering what the mad scientist Dr. Killswitch has been cooking in the laboratory.
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/mad-scientist2_mtg-lab-maniac_3244.jpg

Haven't said too much except to a few people to make sure I wasn't crazy. They have not yet confirmed whether I am or not.
It's a very ambitious project which has several moving parts.

The reason I called it Codename 4Play is what it represents. Ouya lacks online multi player games, there are a few but most are local multi. When I see the Ouya I see the times when I used to be playing games with friends like Goldeneye, Mario Kart, etc. When games were about fun and not spending $60 just to shoot some fake bad guys who are taking over the world in different colored uniforms. When you were sitting there playing Mario Kart with friends and maybe you pushed someone off the couch when they were winning or someone gets mad and takes their controller and goes home. While some people have people they can call over, not everyone does.

This will be a pack of 4 games, yes that says 4 GAMES, that are all multi player local and online. (4Play - 4 games)
None of the games actually have names yet so you will get a description of the games for now. I am one man but there will be others helping out.

4Play on Ouya...oh yeeeah :p

Online play will be implemented by using Nuggeta. For those of you not familiar with Nuggeta http://nuggeta.com

There may be one or two surprises coming. No hints either so don't ask.

This will be a Free the Games Entry. Looking to launch around November 1st but that may change.

As pictures and such are available you will see more. Right now it's more of a placeholder.

But I will give you the concept of game #1
Game #1 - Lootfest? Dungeons of Loot? Loot Heroes?
Think Gauntlet. The original Gauntlet. Tons of monsters (As Ouya allows), powerups, voiceovers, loot whoring, and bacon.
You will have your usual archetypes barbarian, dwarf, warlock, etc.
Number of levels is undetermined. But will not be a short 5 level game or anything like that.

Hydrus
10-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Nice. Looks like the party started!

That picture reminds me of something out of Marvel for some reason. Dis gun' be gewd.

timmytot666
10-09-2013, 01:22 AM
I'm ready for this. So is my body come on bro. Release I want sweet beta action.

RiotingSpectre
10-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Party started indeed. Let's get the morning after pi- I mean some Mike & Ikes goin'...

You've been working on this project forever and I'm glad to see it finally getting some light shed on it. While I just remembered that I never completed your request for that ??? idea you wanted me to flesh out more of, you'll however do just fine. By the way, the pictures don't work for me Killswitch. I've always had this problem on the forum so would you mind uploading them to postimage and private messaging me them?

Elovator
10-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Killswitch "Game #1 - Lootfest? Dungeons of Loot? Loot Heroes?
Think Gauntlet. The original Gauntlet. Tons of monsters (As Ouya allows), powerups, voiceovers, loot whoring, and bacon."

Thank god there's bacon XD

Killswitch
10-09-2013, 01:31 AM
Wow. I turned my head for a second and already people are replying.
Mike & Ikes...yeah...that's it. My favorite candy so good choice :)

Is it only on the forum you have picture problem Ms Spectre? Soon as I get things a little more concrete will be on a website. Possibly having a company name change which is why I haven't done so yet. But I can do that for you. Not a big request.

Killswitch "Game #1 - Lootfest? Dungeons of Loot? Loot Heroes?
Think Gauntlet. The original Gauntlet. Tons of monsters (As Ouya allows), powerups, voiceovers, loot whoring, and bacon."

Thank god there's bacon XD

Everything is better with bacon.

RiotingSpectre
10-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Is it only on the forum you have picture problem Ms Spectre? Soon as I get things a little more concrete will be on a website. Possibly having a company name change which is why I haven't done so yet. But I can do that for you. Not a big request.

Everything is better with bacon.

Nope as a lot of things give me trouble. If you'd like, I can wait until the website gets created and can view the pictures then.

Damn straight about the bacon.

grantmoore3d
10-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Haven't said too much except to a few people to make sure I wasn't crazy. They have not yet confirmed whether I am or not.
It's a very ambitious project which has several moving parts.

Pretty sure you're crazy, but they said the people behind OUYA were crazy and look how well they are doing. I say, keep trucking along your crazy mad scientist you! Local / online co-op games that are actually good would be a welcome addition to the OUYA library.

lbroussal
10-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Hi Kills,

Sounds awesome and ambitious. Feel fre to screenshot asap ;)

All the best.

Dave Jennings
10-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Sounds cool - I like the idea of 4 multi player games - how about a warlords clone :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1xOFVVRrA

DrunkPunk
10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
...whoring, and bacon.

I'm on board! Perfect way to appeal to me. :D

SwiftIllusion
10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Your first game definitely sounds like a genre/type I'm a fan of, but have yet to discover any I truly enjoy.
So definitely can't wait to see how this progresses :)!

One thing If I may make a recommendation, is that you at least complete 1 of these 4 games before opening your Kickstarter.
Or at the very least a demo.
This would give people a better representation of what you can accomplish before investment and you could even list the
completion of that first piece of the puzzle as a backer reward (They'll be able to play that first game while others will need
to wait for all 4 to be released later. That would be a big incentive to those who don't want to wait.
And if you complete your first game before the kick-starter, you could have your second game up for this reward).
I have a tendency to completely ignore any Kickstarter projects that don't have at least a well-presented demo,
because all the concept art and screenshots in the world won't tell you the end result of a game.
If there is a deep and well presented game design document for each project you plan though, that would be a big help.
Another common sight I see plaguing Kickstarter projects, most barely tell you in-depth about the game and restrict it
to fanciful bullet points that don't give you close to a real idea of the games mechanics.

Out of interest, do you have any previous projects that you would be able to present?
If this is your first one I'll just have to rock back and forth on my chair waiting for some pictures :).

Killswitch
10-09-2013, 11:36 PM
You will see something, don't worry. Do plan to have something available for the Kickstarter.
Working behind the scenes on some things so the Kickstarter isn't just a blank page :)

If for some reason, what I want won't be available for when I was planning to launch the campaign, I will delay it a bit. Which I may have to anyway because holiday season can be a little tricky.
Hopefully not too long but there are some moving parts that need to be tied up.

More details will be forthcoming, just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Mad Max
10-10-2013, 04:53 PM
If this was pitched as being in any way different or unique, I would be all in.

Why another gauntlet-type? I see this all the time. It's been done. It's been made. +5 healing potions have been drank. Why not do something different with your time, energy and talents?

All the usual archtypes? Why not have some different classes? Make you play as the enemy, or at the very least a cool Minotaur-turned-righteous or weird element based class that affects game play somehow. Barbarians, warriors and wizards don't just linger in the modern fabric, they have completely worn holes in it. it's like making another dual stick zombie shooter. I beg you to do something unique with your ambition.

Killswitch
10-11-2013, 12:05 AM
I haven't even revealed the other 3 yet.

There may possibly be someone else. Not 100% set on character set for the game yet but open to suggestions. A Minotaur? Hmmmmm...
There will be something else for this game which I have not mentioned yet either.

Probably won't please everyone but that would never be the case. Will be trying to add different elements, etc. Plus the fact that Ouya does need more online multi player games.

Please remember it's in the upcoming section so some things are subject to change.

---------------------------
You actually reminded me of a concept I had for this game a while back. Not sure I want to implement that for this but maybe... It would involve some cutscenes or something to tell the tale, which I was planning to avoid.

I can still do a minotaur as a barbarian/warrior or a demon/elemental as a warlock/wizard, so technically same class actions.

Mad Max
10-11-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't mean the minotaur thing in a literal sense but it's a start. It's less about changing what the characters are called/look like than it is about the game play being different.

What if you built the dungeon so other players could go through. A basic dungeon creator that can be accessed for play by all players through online access, and it kept records of what happened.

Go a step further and allow the creator to keep tabs on how many parties have traversed your dungeons, where they have died the most, which monsters get the most kills or get killed the most and level them up, making a low level dungeon tougher and progressively leveling up so bigger and better parties can take it on. Place traps, hide chests and see if anyone can find them, level up your minotaur that always gets killed behind the coffin and place him in front of the gate where he'll get a jump on the heroes. Breath some different ideas into it. Give it creative potential instead of corridors where all you do it press O to shoot and U to use a potion, doesn't matter if it's with a friend or not.

Gauntlet was fun but Gauntlet came out a long time ago.

------------

(Also those ideas above are free for anyone to use, I really would like to play that game)

timmytot666
10-11-2013, 07:07 PM
I would rather have sweet gauntlet legends action. Tell him to shhhh

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Mad Max
10-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Which is exactly why the games industry is the way it is.

I don't want this to turn into a blarhg thread, it's not my intention to come down on your idea, but I think OP understands why I'm saying it's been done a million times before. If Too Human had come out in 1994 it would have been praised as the most advanced piece of interactive art ever, but it got lost in the fold because all of its ideas had been done to a better extent in the years surrounding it. it's simply just more of the same.

grantmoore3d
10-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't think KillSwitch is trying to create something overly novel or unique, it sounds more like he's aiming to fill a need that exists on the OUYA, which is some online co-op, multiplayer games. To fill that need, you don't necessarily have to innovate, and given that his target is to release a 4-pack of games... I wouldn't say it's reasonable to expect that much innovation. So long as the games are good and fun, I don't see the problem. However, if his focus was just on this one game, then I'd agree with you Mad Max, in that some innovation should absolutely be considered.

Killswitch
10-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Gauntlet is older but it was a point of reference. Maybe I should have said Diablo.

It won't be just O and U, I can add Y too. :)
Though there is nothing wrong with a button masher. I have some things I want to add but some may be left out.
Not PLANNING on it being O and U.

Gauntlet Legends? Seven Sorrows? Something like that.

I thought about a dungeon creator but not sure on that one. Maybe as a stretch goal but it's not currently planned as part of initial release. That is something that needs time, etc.

Was going to wait to post this but since stretch goal was mentioned. Not part of the initial release, would be a PVP mode. Something that's also multi player. Think 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 matches, maybe more, maybe less or just have that as a possibility. Something like a capture the flag mode which is find the treasure in the dungeon and your team has to get out. Maybe one or two other modes but nothing is decided on that yet. This is just an idea that's floating in my head right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately I have some things I need to take care of. Still around but it slowed me down a little. So forgive my silence. Life has a way of kicking you in the teeth when you think everything is great.

So we have 1 idea released so far. I do plan to release some art and all that jazz soon but I may miss my target date of November 1. Just trying to figure out how to avoid Christmas also which can be good or bad in terms of Kickstarter.

Ouya does have some limitations so might have to scale down an idea or two or leave some things out like a dungeon creator which I have been back and forth on anyway. Not sure how long the campaign part of the game will be but it will be 4 player online and local. Not a 5 minute game where you're sitting there saying 'I can't believe I paid for this'. Don't have amount of levels and all that fully decided yet but do have an idea, just need to see what will fit and what won't and if anything needs to be changed, moved, removed, etc.

Now that there is storage coming, I don't feel so limited. I was worried I might have to cut a lot of things out or scale it down a lot. It's already an ambitious project which has probably never been attempted. Some people will like 1 or 2 games, some might like all, some might not like any. And that's okay, I won't think any less of you, I'll just hate you forever :biggrin-new:

Seriously I'm just happy to have the potential to even attempt this idea.

I'm still here, just trying to sort things out on both ends on and off the computer.

SwiftIllusion
10-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I'd definitely recommend against a dungeon creator.
Especially with you planning 4 projects for this, it would be better to not make a dungeon creator,
than make a basic/bland one because of time restrictions.
An idea that might have a similar 'satisfaction' would be if players could have some kind of structure
to their experience in a 'custom campaign', that might let you specify the percentage chance for
rarity of item tiers. For example you could play a custom game with friends and have it so only
the strongest weapons drop, and only boss monsters spawn in the level instead of standard enemies.
Or something creative like that.
Depending on your development process it might not be much trouble at all to achieve,
and may even be part of the stretch goals.

Killswitch
10-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Custom campaign is one I was thinking of. Easier to implement and not worry if the Ouya will explode :p

Mad Max
12-10-2013, 05:14 AM
I'm going to bump this because I'd like to know if it's still in production. Any news on the 4p dungeon crawler?

Killswitch
12-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I was planning to post something.
Life has a way of derailing plans.
No I don't mean it's dead, just had to extend my timeline.

One day life is great, the next, some crap pops up that you have to deal with.

Wanted to have things ready for November but stuff happened.
Trying to get things lined up for January.

Plus I've been brainstorming with a few people on a few things for other parts of the project.

I plan to give more details soon. Just want to get everything lined up.

Jon_TWR
12-11-2013, 04:44 AM
I was planning to post something.
Life has a way of derailing plans.
No I don't mean it's dead, just had to extend my timeline.
Thanks for keeping us updated, but keep this in mind for the timeline you give when you launch your kickstarter...create realistic estimates, then double or triple them. No kickstarter ever got flamed for delivering too soon. ;)

Killswitch
12-12-2013, 12:50 AM
I was more worried about the preparation than the timeline of finishing.
Pictures, maybe an alpha, stuff like that. All the cool stuff that makes people say 'oooooh I want that'.
Plus all the brainstorming which has changed the project a little or a lot depending on how you look at it.
Details on that are coming soon.

Killswitch
12-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Guess I'll give a little hint of one of the changes...

The 4 has been reduced to 3.
It's still 4play, just 4 players vs. 4 separate games.
More than 4 if possible on 1 of them.
Decided to go for a bigger experience over shorter gameplay.

Saving the other game for another time

RiotingSpectre
08-09-2014, 03:11 AM
http://s23.postimg.org/waxkmrm87/Capture.png
http://s9.postimg.org/eyjo62pbv/Capture.png
http://s7.postimg.org/bimorptuj/Capture.png

http://s12.postimg.org/4wa6a74od/tumblr_n6zjsdy_Ud81sl76igo1_500.gif

boxtropica
08-09-2014, 03:55 AM
So this one game is a pack of 4 games?
Action 52~
Who said that?

Killswitch
08-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Since my dearest, sweet, kind, beautiful, loveable, RiotingSpectre ♥ decided to say hello (watch yo back woman :mad:), I guess I should speak on the project because I know there was anticipation.

Well, I was trying to get some help together for the project, some things looked promising and others fell apart, got frustrated and just went on the journey on my own since it seemed like everyone else had their own thing to do. Then ended up having to work a lot which killed time working on this. Wanted to go to Kickstarter with a demo for each part of the project but time creeps up on you, especially when your life is falling apart around you and you're basically working to escape your own mind, having a near photographic memory is a curse worse than death.

Wanted to go to Kickstarter, have funds to complete everything, blah blah blah but when you're a contractor, you never know when you're home or if you're going to be in so much pain that you just want to lay in bed for a month. Though a massage would probably help with that since it's muscular pain but whatever. Days of being out of the house 15-18 hours can slow you down. I currently have someone helping with code for my current project and it was not easy to find him.

So I put 4play to the side for a while and was going to come back to it, either as a big project or separate games. Right now I'm working to get Astra Etherium out the door then plan to work on Project Spectre which has elements of the Gauntlet/Diabloesque game concept so what I may do is try to combine the 2 concepts into one. Yes it is named after the person who came up with the concept, before this $10,000 contest from Kii came which I tried to enter with a barebones Astra Etherium, so that I didn't feel the need to go to Kickstarter or whatever but the contest was rigged and since so many people offered to help out, I decided to flesh out Astra Etherium into a full game, fully voiced, Nuggeta cross platform play and all that good stuff so it can be an example of what Nuggeta can do for some other developers here.

So Project Spectre may have elements from my concept in it, then the others will be released at some point, not abandoned but I do have some codebase for the games so it won't be like starting from zero. But code isn't pretty pictures, those I lack. I can draw but putting it on a computer doesn't seem to work out.

Funding isn't an easy thing to come by either, it's something you have to work for, have people believe in you and all that. That's why I want Astra Etherium out and to show work on Spectre. I would rather have people see what I'm working on and believe in the goal/project than to just assume it's like a given right. Though who knows, maybe there is outside funding available that might make it happen. Otherwise you will probably be seeing a Kickstarter in September and me big pimpin it. Or maybe I'll get rich and buy a farm and get a stable of programmers and designers :p

So 4play if not dead just severely sidetracked.

4play on OUYA, oh yeah :D

RiotingSpectre
08-09-2014, 04:04 AM
I just commented in your thread and made you post that book just for the fuck of it. I already knew everything that was said in it so it was for nothing. Well, mostly for nothing since others might be interested in the project.