PDA

View Full Version : What's your problem?

XanXic
10-03-2013, 12:33 AM
So after being on here awhile I noticed a lot of members seem to have some sort of disability, condition, or psychological disorder. I thought it would be interesting to hear what some of our members have. I'm a curious guy so I like to hear first hand accounts of things like that and I know I'm not alone. I thought if people are comfortable with it they could post what they have and describe it a little bit or answer questions perhaps that curious people have.

I realize the premise is really weird and potentially problematic but I asked a few people and they were more interested than thinking it'd be an issue. Just an experiment I guess :D

So keep in mind the people who post may be comfortable enough to explain it or talk about it but that doesn't make it okay to joke or other likewise comments. There are some people watching the thread so just keep it informational and civil. If you post feel free to say as little or as much as you want on the subject.

So for example: MEEEE

One of the things I have that's probably the biggest issue in my life is Dissociative Amnesia. (http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/dissociative-amnesia) It's a psychological condition that's puts all my memories, information, and knowledge in a constant state of flux. One moment I may know how to do advanced physics and not know my own name. Then 5 minutes later I'll have forgotten all the formulas and remember my name and that the mantis shrimp can see in 16 color spectrum's and I'm jealous. It's also is a pain because I know what I do and don't know but may not be able to remember that. Like I have an index of all the files in my head but can only open certain folders at that moment. It's an extra level of frustrating on top of it. It's like my memories are kind of surrounded in a fog. One odd little side effect is I'm constantly talking about stuff that's related to each other. When I remember something and say it that usually causes something else to resurface then I can't help but say it. Next thing you know it's 2 hours later and I've describe my time in the 3rd grade in excruciating detail. I stop and it's all gone.

I also used to have epilepsy but grew out of it. Not much to describe there, seizures are more of a 3rd party experience and they tend to wipe out at least 2 hours before and after the siezure. It's not related to my memory condition though lol.

And I had terminal cancer about a year ago. If anyone is curious I could describe that situation or what it's like to know you're going to die months in advanced which is a trip. But I think I gave some good examples already.

timmytot666
10-03-2013, 12:46 AM
OCD I've been dealing with it since I was about 12 and knew what it was called. Doing things multiple times to make sure its done to the optimum extent and even when playing video games. When I eat, listen to music, and sleep. I have things I gotta do.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Hydrus
10-03-2013, 01:00 AM
My problem... I'm actually pretty healthy, for the most part. Most of my issues are personal but I don't see them as a problem. They're more like... obstacles? I can jump over them. They don't really harm me as I don't give them much thought. Only condition that I can think of is my near-sightedness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia). *Supposedly* the reason for this is because my face was (still is) always stuck in a screen/monitor. Too keep it short, I was born with technology. I came out with a gamepad on my hands and a keyboard strapped around my chest. I'm a keyboard warrior.

http://www.badhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/keyboardwarrior-758092.jpg

Anyway, it sucks because I can't really drive at night without glasses on. I can actually see the road and the cars, but everything is blurry. I can drive fine without them during the day though. I also need to use them while in class. Only time I don't use them is when I'm either reading/writing or when I'm home... Or if I go out during the day and I choose not to wear them.....

XanXic
10-03-2013, 01:52 PM
OCD I've been dealing with it since I was about 12 and knew what it was called. Doing things multiple times to make sure its done to the optimum extent and even when playing video games. When I eat, listen to music, and sleep. I have things I gotta do.

I've heard two different ways this works and I'm not sure if it's just a confusion or there are two separate types? Like is it a ...well compulsion like you don't want to do it but you can't help but do it until that compulsion is gone? Or is it like there's a thought process in it? "If I do this 3 times in a row I won't die in my sleep" "if I touch my nose before entering a door I won't trip through it" Kind of stuff? I've heard people describing OCD in both ways and on a single person. So I can't tell if that's just a mistake or there are varying types of OCD.

timmytot666
10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
It depends on how you deal with it. My compulsions make me concentrate on something until I do it the correct way or I can't move on. I don't have to twitch my thumb before I take a bite but if I don't I immediately feel off as though I missed a step (like putting toothpase on your finger instead of your toothbrush and then brushing) it just feels like I'm wrong.

Other people think the way you said if I stroke my hair 100 times on each side I won't go bald so I gotta do it every morning after I shower.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Starfighter
10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
I recently got diagnosed with ADHD so.. Yeah. That. And social anxiety. And depression. They also think I might have some form of gastritis - which they at first thought was just stress related heartburn.

I'm being medicated for all of the above though, so I'm actually pretty fine right now.

jonbonazza
10-04-2013, 02:25 PM
I have the infamous Tourette's, OCD, ADHA combo. Granted its completely under control and entirely unnoticeable (unless I go off my meds...)

XanXic
10-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I recently got diagnosed with ADHD so.. Yeah. That. And social anxiety. And depression. They also think I might have some form of gastritis - which they at first thought was just stress related heartburn.

Social Anxiety is a pretty wide group of stuff, you have a specific kind? I typically just have a typical anxiety response that I'm used to dealing with so I'm more outward in social situations because I'm forcing it, but on the inside I'm freaking out lol. I've heard there's a bunch of different types of reactions people have. I think the other ones that seems common is to feel claustrophobic in large crowds, or becoming more paranoid the more people are around.

It depends on how you deal with it. My compulsions make me concentrate on something until I do it the correct way or I can't move on. I don't have to twitch my thumb before I take a bite but if I don't I immediately feel off as though I missed a step (like putting toothpase on your finger instead of your toothbrush and then brushing) it just feels like I'm wrong.

Other people think the way you said if I stroke my hair 100 times on each side I won't go bald so I gotta do it every morning after I shower.

I can kind of understand that. There are certain things that if I don't do them right it's just pointless to me. It happens a lot when I draw. If I can't get a line in just the right spot with the correct width and taper I usually just get dissapointed in it and throw it away or keep trying till I get dissapointed with it and throw it away. It's why I don't have as much of my own art on my computer or on paper. I have like huge boxes filled with notebooks, sketch books, and homework :P filled with drawings. But that's probably a fourth of what I've thrown away, erased, or deleted. When I get stressed out though I start re-arranging things and lining stuff up at right angles with each other lol.

Ah so there are two types, good to know. Could 'forget' to do a tick/action? If so would remembering that you didn't do that make that action not feel right like if you hadn't done it in the moment?

I have the infamous Tourette's, OCD, ADHA combo. Granted its completely under control and entirely unnoticeable (unless I go off my meds...)

If you don't mind my asking what type/sympton? I know there's the cursing thing but from what I understand that's a small sliver of people with tourette's and isn't all that common.

I find all of this interesting lol :3

Magnesus
10-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Only condition that I can think of is my near-sightedness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia). *Supposedly* the reason for this is because my face was (still is) always stuck in a screen/monitor.

Near-sightedness is caused by change in the shape of the eyeball which might be either genetic or from trauma. There is no way a computer screen can do that, unless you hit your eye repeatedly on it.

Also people often think books or computer is the culprit of their sight loss because:
1) they discover their problem when trying to read or use computer (because it is then when the eye sight needs to be perfect),
2) they have age related far-sightedness which causes them to have problems reading and using computer and occurs later in life (so people mis-associate it with their computer/reading habits),
3) people that don't read or use computers are much less likely to discover their sight is not perfect and even if they do, they often don't use glasses anyway (anecdotal evidence here: my friends are like that, parents were like that).

I have one eye almost perfect and one with -3.0 dioptri - so I only wear one contact lens. Without that contact lens or glasses I see almost perfectly but not in 3D. :) Maybe this is why I prefer 2D games (joke, I love 3D movies).

PS. Back to topic: I'm quite OK, the eyesight thing is not causing me any problems. I'm or I sound overly arrogant sometimes I think - even though I don't want to.

timmytot666
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Generally when I can't do things to the extent I need I feel anxious. When I remember things I usually have to go and do it.. like if I'm at work and I even feel like I forgot to turn off a light it will bother me until I get home and then I have to immediately go check the light switch and flick it a couple times just to make sure.

Starfighter
10-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Social Anxiety is a pretty wide group of stuff, you have a specific kind? I typically just have a typical anxiety response that I'm used to dealing with so I'm more outward in social situations because I'm forcing it, but on the inside I'm freaking out lol. I've heard there's a bunch of different types of reactions people have. I think the other ones that seems common is to feel claustrophobic in large crowds, or becoming more paranoid the more people are around.

I can relate. :) I haven't gotten it looked at "for real", they just said I have some mild social anxiety but since it doesn't really affect my situation (I am studying through distance courses and have only two friends that I interact with once every other month or so) right now it's nothing to proceed with for the time being. It manifests itself through me being avoiding when it comes to every form of social situation, me falling asleep when I have been outside for longer than an hour and other things. I get hyper aware of myself when I'm in a crowd and a thousand paranoid thoughts fly through my head until I am safe again (inside/alone) - which makes me extremely tired and emotionally drained in exposed situations.

XanXic
10-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I have one eye almost perfect and one with -3.0 dioptri - so I only wear one contact lens. Without that contact lens or glasses I see almost perfectly but not in 3D. :) Maybe this is why I prefer 2D games (joke, I love 3D movies).

I googled for this but could not find what it was. What do you mean by can't see in 3D? Like you have a lack of depth perception like a person with one eye? Or something different. I'm not sure I could imagine what that'd look like otherwise lol.

Generally when I can't do things to the extent I need I feel anxious. When I remember things I usually have to go and do it.. like if I'm at work and I even feel like I forgot to turn off a light it will bother me until I get home and then I have to immediately go check the light switch and flick it a couple times just to make sure.

I think everyone gets like that sometimes. lol I flip out if I'm in somewhere and I'm not sure if I locked my car/house or not. I've seen people loosing their minds about if their car windows are down or up when it's raining. What I meant more specifically was like if you have a compulsion to do something. Like for example you need to tap on a door before you open it. If you "forgot" to tap on a door before you opened it and were in the room like an hour before you remembered would you suddenly feel like you didn't do it correctly? Or is it just not possible for a compulsion to be unknowingly skipped? Like it's automatic everytime? That's why I put "forgot" in quotes because I get it's not something you need to remember to do.

I can relate. :) I haven't gotten it looked at "for real", they just said I have some mild social anxiety but since it doesn't really affect my situation (I am studying through distance courses and have only two friends that I interact with once every other month or so) right now it's nothing to proceed with for the time being. It manifests itself through me being avoiding when it comes to every form of social situation, me falling asleep when I have been outside for longer than an hour and other things. I get hyper aware of myself when I'm in a crowd and a thousand paranoid thoughts fly through my head until I am safe again (inside/alone) - which makes me extremely tired and emotionally drained in exposed situations.

Yeah Anxiety is one of the easiest things to work on. Any decent therapist can help you deal with that fairly easy. I haven't done it lol but that's how it is. I get that being hyper aware. I'm typically like that all the time. I was told it's called hyper vigilance. Pretty much constantly looking around at the slightest thing, and being aware of everything in my surroundings. I guess it's not normal to know exactly where people and pets are based on sound lol. It makes sleeping hard though because it's hard to fall asleep when there's always something happening and I wake up at the slightest possibility of someone/something being around. But it sound reallllly cool. :D

Magnesus
10-06-2013, 07:08 AM
I googled for this but could not find what it was. What do you mean by can't see in 3D? Like you have a lack of depth perception like a person with one eye? Or something different. I'm not sure I could imagine what that'd look like otherwise lol.

Yes. My right eye is very nearsighted so if I'm not wearing glassess or a contact lens 3D movies look flat to me - like 2D movies. My left eye which is OK dominates then. There is some 3D depth left (and from up close I see perfectly) but the difference is huge when I wear contact lens/glasses. It's mostly noticable while driving a car, or looking at vistas. Besides that I see very well without glasses - just not fully 3D. :)

And -3 diopter (I wrote it wrong before) means that on the board with letters during eye exam I have troubles reading the largest one (with my bad eye). It's equivalent to 20/150 eye sight based on this: http://www.improve-vision-naturally.com/20-20-vision.html

Judoka
10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Eh, not a lot going on with me really. Just have a bit of a self confidence thing going on from time to time.

Though physically, I have just got out of the hospital after getting my clavicle tethered back onto my shoulder. I snapped the tendons connected to it after getting thrown rather badly at a Judo competition. Meaning my collarbone had risen up from it's normal position quite severely and needed surgery.

This means I get to spend a couple of weeks at home. Prescription painkillers and Mirrormoon EP. Sounds lovely.

Hydrus
10-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Meaning my collarbone had risen up from it's normal position quite severely and needed surgery.

I broke my collarbone once. Wasn't that extreme though lol. I was playing basketball (or trying to play) and I accidentally crashed into this dude at full speed. He was twice my size. When I crashed, I heard a little snap, felt a little burn, then I went to the doctor where he put me this ridiculous looking thing all around my neck and shoulders. I looked like a Football player. It was supposed to push back the bone in place so that it could glue itself back together or something like that. Very uncomfortable to sleep with.

I'm much better now though. The damage wasn't permanent, so it's not really a problem.

Kaimega
10-09-2013, 05:08 PM
I have bipolar disorder, so when I am happy, I am the happiest guy you'll ever meet, and if I am annoyed/sad, I will be depressed for weeks on end. Weather change affects my mood as well, it is amazing!

I suffer from migraines, though I don't know if I could call that a "problem", though if I have one, never ask me questions in person because when I talk it sounds like I am having a stroke :P. Asthma as well.

EDIT: I forgot I also have PTSD, from something I'd rather not talk about ;) (hence my forgetting)

I take no meds for any of this stuff...

Magnesus
10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Migraines. That brings bad memories. I had them when I was young. But not as severe. Only one time I had problems with speaking because of them - I was trying to say something and every syllable I said was from a different word or sentence and I couldn't read for a few hours. Normally it was only a colorful aura and later severe headache and light sensitivity. I don't understand why people recommend sitting in the dark during migraine though - for me it made things worse afterwards, I was almost blind for a few hours if I did that (as if I was looking at a sun for too long). They've stopped completely about 10, maybe 12 years ago (knock on wood). I thought they might be related to breathing problems caused by allergies - maybe your asthma is also related? Maybe you could try taking some meds for asthma and check if that stops the migraines?

Kaimega
10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Nah they weren't related. I took medicine before and my migraines were still there, plus I felt fragile, (ie: couldn't walk long distances, lift heavy objects, etc) didn't like that feeling. I stopped taking it because of that. Funny enough the medicine was really steroids... oh well :)

DrunkPunk
10-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Funny enough the medicine was really steroids... oh well :)

Kaimega SMASH?

Kaimega
10-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Haha not those kind of steroids. Inhalers actually contain a steroid in them to increase the size of the tubes in the lungs (open the tuuuubez!)

DanTilly
10-13-2013, 02:39 AM
The main problem I battle with in my life is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Not only do I get very manic and "collect" things, I also have to re-do stuff until it "feels right" like another member said. This is partially why I get so mad about external storage, because I see games I want to play and my brain gets very manic and excited thinking about playing them. Eventually it forces me to delete a game I'm playing and enjoy (which makes me sad in the long run) or get very frustrated that I do not have the room to play it.

I collect everything from comic books, CDs, skylanders, video games, horror movies, etc and my room (which is quite small) becomes a pile of junk. I refuse to "clean" this room because I "know where everything is" and to me it isn't dirty. I'm pretty much a nerdy hoarder.

Hoping I get into the storage beta because it would stop what my brain races non-stop thinking about most the time -- "this game looks awesome, but I have no room to download it!"

Karyyk
10-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Generalized anxiety disorder (basically, I worry about everything...which is easy to do in my position), social anxiety issues (to the point that I'll avoid situations unless I'm with people I know), IBS (SUCKS!), atopic dermatitis (YAY!), and the depression that goes along with all these things (and not making enough money...mostly the latter). A man's got to know his limitations I guess...