PDA

View Full Version : Play OUYA using a droid smartphone as the screen?

derty
10-01-2013, 07:10 AM
It seems very feasible.
I hav a droid razr and I've been wondering how I can use this to play my OUYA at work on my lunch break!
Lol like how awesome would that b?!?

I had the idea of running a micro USB cable with a male end on both sides and somehow running a program that would run OUYA on the phone.

Or I remember there being a HDMI adapter for people who wanted to run HDMI from their phone to the tv... are u able to do this backwards and run to the phone in HD from the OUYA?

I would still want to use the OUYA controller for the gaming aspect of it to make it just as if I was playing on a big screen ;)

A lot of ideas and just wondering if anybody else had the answer or the same idea :D

How cool would it be for people who love OUYA to share their fun with friends at work ;)

DrunkPunk
10-01-2013, 07:13 AM
This has been brought up a number of times on here and even had a few people thinking of giving it a shot. I'll find some links for you when I get to a real computer as I can't link to things with my tablet.

derty
10-01-2013, 04:28 PM
This has been brought up a number of times on here and even had a few people thinking of giving it a shot. I'll find some links for you when I get to a real computer as I can't link to things with my tablet.

Ya man please do :)
It seems like something that's very easy to do, I just need the right cables or something haha

Jon_TWR
10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't think there's a phone or tablet out there that features HDMI in, unfortunately.

Now if you could get the discover store on your phone and pair a controller to it, you'd be in business! Well, maybe...depending on the drm of the games you want to play.

derty
10-01-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't think there's a phone or tablet out there that features HDMI in, unfortunately.

Now if you could get the discover store on your phone and pair a controller to it, you'd be in business! Well, maybe...depending on the drm of the games you want to play.

If that's the case then that blows D:

Nevets
10-02-2013, 03:05 AM
It's possible to play your Ouya games either through either

a) a high speed network and display the screen through a peer-to-peer connection (not really the greatest way to go about doing this)
b) synchronizing your game data through a cloud and create some form of 'emulator' for Ouya games on the Android

There are probably more ways to approach what you want but it's something that would take a while to develop.

derty
10-02-2013, 06:56 PM
It's possible to play your Ouya games either through either

a) a high speed network and display the screen through a peer-to-peer connection (not really the greatest way to go about doing this)
b) synchronizing your game data through a cloud and create some form of 'emulator' for Ouya games on the Android

There are probably more ways to approach what you want but it's something that would take a while to develop.

D: Christ lol
Well thanx for the tips buts that's a little out of my realm with coding ;)

vadr_h8r
10-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I think that you arre looking at it from the wrong angle. I think the easist way to accomplish what you want is not to get the Ouya console to play through your smartpone screen, but to find a way to install the Ouya software on your modern quad core jelly bean smartphone. If Ouya is truly mod friendly then they shouldnt be too up in arms about people trying to port the software on mobile devices. I think this is the only way to do a portable Ouya. what do you peeps think??

derty
10-05-2013, 05:06 AM
I think that you arre looking at it from the wrong angle. I think the easist way to accomplish what you want is not to get the Ouya console to play through your smartpone screen, but to find a way to install the Ouya software on your modern quad core jelly bean smartphone. If Ouya is truly mod friendly then they shouldnt be too up in arms about people trying to port the software on mobile devices. I think this is the only way to do a portable Ouya. what do you peeps think??

...go on. :)

CodemonkeyAlx
10-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Inside of the ouya ODK there exists the ouya launcher APK. You might be able to turn your device into an ouya.

-- I have yet to get it to work on my Nexus 7.

LightyKD
10-05-2013, 10:51 AM
@derty

(This goes on your OUYA) Mirror OP Sender: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awindinc.sphone2tv
(This goes on your other Android device) Mirror OP Receiver: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awindinc.receiver

sadly, Mirror OP will only handle your video. You will still need a way to get your audio. A Bluetooth headset might be an option.

With that said I have proposed a project to accomplish second screen functionality on OUYA
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?6777-Ouya-Companion-App-Looking-for-Programmers
But that's currently stuck in the mud.

InvaderGames
10-05-2013, 12:37 PM
The problem is that the framework and oobe apks of the ouya are odexed since the ODK release 1.0.4 or so, before you could install it on every phone, but now it only works on OUYA roms (or modded OUYA roms wich are deodexed)

I am not 100% sure on how it works, but it might be possible to deodex it (?) and make it compatible for other devices (super not sure sure about this, im not a ROM developer), but what I am sure about is that if you could get your hands on an early ODK you could run, for example, my custom launcher with any bluetooth gamepad, maybe even OUYA ones, and 'convert it' into a working console. the default launcher I think it had roadblocks for it to not run properly the store/discovery on other devices other than the OUYA itself since the very first releases.

vadr_h8r
10-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Inside of the ouya ODK there exists the ouya launcher APK. You might be able to turn your device into an ouya.

-- I have yet to get it to work on my Nexus 7.
after all its just a program... its not like Ouya spent millions to keep people from messing with their operating system. Microsoft has spent fortunes trying to keep people from pirating their OS to no avail. Believe me this is very do-able :)