PDA

View Full Version : Simple Ouya laptop / Ouya portable.

Vanilor
09-18-2013, 08:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mylYVmq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/116I6xl.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/RVe7BB1.jpg?1

For those of you who don't know about these little gems, this is a Motorola lapdock that was made for the Atrix 4G.
The idea flopped due to the high price point and limited functionality for use with the phone, but many people have found ways to use it in other projects. Most notably, it works awesomely with the Raspberry PI.
The lapdock is really just an 1336x786 HDMI display, a keyboard, track-pad, USB hub and battery. It can easily be used with anything that has HDMI and USB provided you have the correct adapters.
You can now find them on Ebay for around $50-$70.

You'll also need an HDMI Micro female to HDMI male adapter, USB micro to USB cable, and a USB male to barrel jack cable. With a little bit of soldering, some heat shrink tubing and spare parts, the USB related ones are pretty easy to make.
The HDMI adapter you'll need to do some surfing around on amazon for.
Interestingly enough, the Ouya's included power adapter is 12v but it will operate on 5v just fine. I haven't looked into it too much, but I assume the Ouya board uses a step-down regulator to 3.3 volts.

It works great, only two issues really.
The image is a bit iffy due to the fact that the Ouya won't display it's image at 1336x786, and the sound that comes from the lapdock's tiny speakers has no volume control.

Samoe
09-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Awesome! I've had a few ideas regarding gutting my old laptops and fitting the Ouya inside of one, but they're all too old for HD. I have a few questions.

Why do you need the USB Micro to USB cable? You already have display and power... Is it for the mouse/keyboard support?
Would it be possible to detach the fan from the Ouya motherboard and fit the console inside the laptop shell? From there you could make it a permanent mod.

Thanks!

Manaurys
09-28-2013, 11:07 PM
If someone make a permanent mod like inside im all for it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Michael Thompson
09-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Nice mod!
Many of your modified cables can be purchased as dedicated ones too.

I also own a Bionic Lapdock and have used it with a few Mini PCs, but haven't thought to mate it up with Ouya, so good one there!
Nice work!

Vanilor
09-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Why do you need the USB Micro to USB cable? You already have display and power... Is it for the mouse/keyboard support?

Correct, the Micro USB to USB cable is to support the keyboard, trackpad and the two USB ports on the back of the dock.

Would it be possible to detach the fan from the Ouya motherboard and fit the console inside the laptop shell? From there you could make it a permanent mod.

I don't think so, the lapdock is very, very thin. There's nothing to gut from it either, It's not a normal laptop, just an HDMI screen, keyboard/mouse et cetera. Normally an Atrix phone would sit on the back of it. Maybe something to look into though :)

Nice mod!
Many of your modified cables can be purchased as dedicated ones too.

I also own a Bionic Lapdock and have used it with a few Mini PCs, but haven't thought to mate it up with Ouya, so good one there!
Nice work!

Thanks! And you can buy a standalone HDMI to micro hdmi adapter. I've owned one but found two issues: The micro HDMI connectors are cheaply built and break quickly, and they aren't long enough to squeeze a barrel jack connector and usb cable between it and the dock.

You could also merge the barrel jack connector and USB micro cable and have an extra usb port. This was just easier and let's me use the same set of cables for my PI, and just not use the barrel jack cable.

Nevets
10-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Does this has a regular refresh rate? It's actually an amazing idea and it'd probably look better on a more modern mobile device. Great job nevertheless.

Vanilor
10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Does this has a regular refresh rate? It's actually an amazing idea and it'd probably look better on a more modern mobile device. Great job nevertheless.

You know, to be honest I don't really remember the lapdock's refresh rate. I recall that the lapdock 100 series model was quite poor, but the one I've got seems about the same as any 60Hz monitor.
I actually use the lapdock and a hacked up atrix 4g with ubuntop as a sort of makeshift laptop every day, it's really not that bad of a screen.
I'm hoping that eventually I can switch to using my ouya with Debian on it or something eventually.

Jon_TWR
10-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Do you have any more of a step by step, or links to the cables needed? Or did you just make your own cables rather than buying them?

Vanilor
10-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Do you have any more of a step by step, or links to the cables needed? Or did you just make your own cables rather than buying them?

Sorry for the late reply.
I made all of the cables myself excluding the HDMI adapter. If I had an extra set of cables I could give you better instructions but I don't.
If you google around, you can find people doing a similar process for their raspberry pi's. They'll have good instructions, and it will be pretty close to the same thing. You'd just need to also make the USB to barrel jack cable.