PDA

View Full Version : Custom OUYA Launcher

Pages : [1] 2

InvaderGames
09-13-2013, 01:40 AM
CAUTION! Not working properly since Abominable Snowman; read more here:
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?6515-Custom-OUYA-Launcher&p=98541&viewfull=1#post98541

As the title says, this is a launcher replacement app for the OUYA, wich was initially inspired in the one shown in the kickstarter video.

http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/000 thumb.png (http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/000.png) http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/001 thumb.png (http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/001.png) http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/002 thumb.png (http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/002.png) http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/003 thumb.png (http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/003.png) http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/004 thumb.png (http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/004.png)

Link:
NewStoreOUYA-Default-latest.apk (http://invadergames.net/ccount/click.php?id=26)

Currently the launcher features:

Ability to stay on top of default launcher, option to go back to it if needed.
Auto self-updater.
Auto dim/turn off.
Customizable wallpaper (only PNG, 1.777 aspect preferred).
Custom flower keyboard (ala Steam Daisywheel)
Differentiation between games, apps and others (sideloaded/system).
Download/Install/remove games.
Full integrated store, much more organized.
Multilanguage (English, Esperanto, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish)
No root required.
Social features (friends, chat, recommendations)
Turn off console (sleep), and controllers.
Three text themes; light, dark and mix.

Stuff that may come: brainstorm!!
Favorites / Pinned
Updater for installed app (currently loking fo a way to do this without root)
Remote control/management (install apps from, say your phone or tablet or PC to the OUYA?)
Wifi management form within the app :?

If you want to see the launcher translated to your launguage add me on G+ (https://plus.google.com/+ManuelEtchegaray) :)
Here is the oficial doc for the translations:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9_16b8XmrwbHxAgcYZu3j6M7N8JIzw2ZoobpsieWYI/edit?usp=sharing

Known issues:
- When browsing the store for too long, lots of tiles are in memory for faster caching. This causes the system to (sometimes) run out of memory and close the launcher, seen as a crash with no warning, usually followed by the execution of the last opened app or the launcher being reset.
- Solution #1: Delete all tiles from chache after leaving the store section.
- Solution #2: Reduce tiles size to the bare minimum, so less memory is used.
- ..?

Changelog:
v1.0.13 (1/11/2013)
- Added option to dim screen
- Changed ABOUT a liiittle bit *wink*
- Downloads manager added
- Games or apps with no ouya icon now use the default android icon

Older:

v1.0.12 (22/10/2013)
- Added Esperanto and German translations
- Added an option to filter sandbox games
- Fixed overscan blurriness, now instead of scaling objects are moved
- Made games info descriptions text scrollable
- Made all options and tiles 'flatter' so they fit better together and with custom wallpapers
- Last used time in games section now shows bigger (can be disabled)

v1.0.11 (16/10/2013)
- Added Swedish translations, fixed and updated a bit on each other
- Added temporary support for videos, until I get it *right*
- EXPERIMENTAL; rearange tiles between GAMES and APPS
- Fixed a serious bug in the search

v1.0.10 (8/10/2013)
- Re engineered the store (internally!)
- Added cursor to the keyboard (use the dpad)
- Missing icons for apps will show android default icon
- KEYSTORE CHANGED! automatic installation may fail for this reason!

v1.0.9 (1/10/2013)
- After this update, updates can now be turned off
- Added more gfx for buttons/menues/tiles
- Added how many minutes ago the user was online
- Fixed some issues with social fetures
- Recommendations can now be opened
- Removed flip animation
- Slight improovements on flower keyboard (missing chars, cursor, etc)

v1.0.8 (30/09/2013)
- Added an indicator for already-installed apps/games
- Fixed a bug with boot/start animations
- Fixed all the internal API for buttons and such
- Keyboard replaced by a Big Picture-like flower input
- Social features started:
-- Friends (add only, remove coming next)
-- Recommendations based on your friends games
-- Uses your OUYA account name, no login requried besides OUYA's one.

v1.0.7 (21/09/2013)
- Added auto turn off option
- Added R/L support for main menues navigation<, fixed transitions
- Redesigned buttons / settings menu
- Some translations fixed

v1.0.6: (19/09/2013)
- Animations settings added for tiles
- Chached animations now stay in video (just loads once!)
- Experimental UI enhancements
- Store completely redesigned

v1.0.5: (15/09/2013)
- 3d-like flipping tiles added
- Changed behaviour on 'reset default lancher' button
- Fixed severe crash when opening certain websites
- Fixed positive timezones bug
- Fixed when you navigated far-right, then pressed A, then O again.
- Multilanguage support (English, French and Spanish)

v1.0.4: (13/09/2013)
- Updater version display number fixed (you wont see it until 1.0.5 is up)
- Analog sticks fixed
- Installed games/apps icons now load from the apps, not OUYA servers (no more loading bars in menu!)
- Games and Apps now show sorted by last used first, then alphabetically

v1.0.3 (12/09/2013)
- Release

I hope you guys like it! and please share your experiences so I can improove this further :D

kiba urufu
09-13-2013, 03:01 AM
Pretty sweet! I saw your initial G+ post about this and I was super happy to see someone finally try and make a launcher that looks like the kickstarter mockup.

Do you have any specific place you want people to submit bugs to? Also, not as important, but do you plan on posting the source at some point or just keep it a self-maintained kinda thing?

Moonlight
09-13-2013, 03:24 AM
Yes yes! OMG I LAHVE U FOREVAR AND EVAR :O

InvaderGames
09-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Do you have any specific place you want people to submit bugs to? Also, not as important, but do you plan on posting the source at some point or just keep it a self-maintained kinda thing?

Just send an email to contact@invadergames.net and i will take a look asap, if it gets crowdy I may make a dedicated account for bugs :)

Abot the source... It gets tricky to coolaborate with GameMaker Studio, and there are not many gamemaker devs out there willing to help in a public repo anyways.
Also, it requires some modding in the core files of GMS to get it working (all the java part), that is probably the main reason why I havent done it yet.

In a future, if there is enough interest, I may make it public :)

kiba urufu
09-13-2013, 03:51 AM
Cool, just shot ya an email about the bug I stumbled upon.

Ah, didn't realize you were using GMS. I ask because I've found GitHub's issue and pull request handling to be quite a great tool.
I've been wanting to implement a global 'dashboard' for ouya so you don't have to exit games to, say disconnect a controller (only real use-case at the moment given Ouya's limited features), but it requires making a whole custom launcher so that you can catch the double U button press and that's not something I feel I can do successfully with my limited free time.

androidplayer
09-13-2013, 03:58 AM
It would be nice if the option was included language pt br.

Seria legal se tivesse suporte para Português do Brasil, essa foi minha tentativa de inglês compatriotas...

InvaderGames
09-13-2013, 04:00 AM
The is no way to intercept the home button in Android.. (The double U button), thats something the OUYA team has to implement right on the firmware, and they did say they were going to add it for pausing games at least (I remember a video from BAWB interviewing a dev, and he said it was being worked on)

Oh and I corrected the email, sorry (its .net!)

kiba urufu
09-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Really? So they blocked the Home Intent? I though such a thing might be only possible with a custom rom, but I was really hoping you could just use the android Home Intent to catch it ( was still iffy on how to differentiate long home from double though). I must admit, I haven't dove very far into ouya's system so most of my idea was very speculative and, well, just and idea. I feel like the single 'U' click should be good enough for pausing, but since that's the context menu that may not be an event you can subscribe to.

Haha. Alright, I forwarded the email to the correct one now.

arm206
09-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Downloaded and tested it.
This looks great! Thank you! Keep 'em coming! :)

Cristian Ugalde Cascante
09-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Just downloaded it... It's awesome! Great job! ;)

arm206
09-13-2013, 05:29 AM
I emailed this to the given address, but I'm posting it here too, so maybe other can confirm:

A possible bug:
In the android system setting I use network provided time, 24-hour format, GMT+2 timezone. Albeit in the system setting I see the correct time, the clock in the launcher is off by 6 hours. (The date is correct.)

A GUI suggestion:
If you are in the 'main menu' (games/apps/store/sideloaded/etc) the bottom part of the screen shows you button mappings that are not currently working. Maybe they should be faded/greyed out until you make your selection.

Aurélien Dispenza
09-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Great launcher, love it ! Is Is possible to add subfolder on sideloaded section and choose game / application ?

Envoyé depuis mon Galaxy Nexus en utilisant Tapatalk 4

kiba urufu
09-13-2013, 05:44 AM
@arm206:
In regards to your bug, I'm not seeing this behavior. I have Auto date & time, with GMT-6, and 24-hour, and the launcher shows the correct time for me.

However, I switched to a GMT+ timezone, and did see the problem you described.

Edit: GMT:+0 also has this issue. Both timezones showed as 0:47AM

RiotingSpectre
09-13-2013, 05:48 AM
This looks most excellent, indeed. I will have to check this out in my spare time. Well done, InvaderGames :)

Moonlight
09-13-2013, 06:08 AM
I have a few complaints, Ill list em below:
- Analog controls are damn near broken. They only respond 10% of the time
- App chugs for first 3 mins after boot
- Loads some tiles in low resolution

If I find more, I'll let you know! :)

arm206
09-13-2013, 06:27 AM
@arm206:
In regards to your bug, I'm not seeing this behavior. I have Auto date & time, with GMT-6, and 24-hour, and the launcher shows the correct time for me.

However, I switched to a GMT+ timezone, and did see the problem you described.

Edit: GMT:+0 also has this issue. Both timezones showed as 0:47AM

Thanks for checking and follow-up!

ERRATA:
- When using a GMT+ timezone setting the clock on the desktop shows the wrong time.

pandronic
09-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Outstanding job. Could you please add the ability to eject / browse (if you have FilePwn installed) the external storage? Also an update notification / autoupdate would be nice.

realz
09-13-2013, 08:07 AM
.. clean & smooth .. but i have issue with analog .. will wait for next update :D ..

Papi
09-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Thank you! The launcher looks great. I'm also having the wrong time show up for me as well (Eastern Standard Time).

Any way to include a screensaver?

InvaderGames
09-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Nice lots of feedback like it like it :D

Timezones; Will look into it!

Analog controls; Indeed they are a bit chunky, I might remove them altogether until I find a better solution, but I will definately look for one today!

Low-res tiles: This is to improove loading time, tiles are gathered from OUYA's servers at the resolution I ask for, and I dont want having to wait too long for them to show up, at least not on he store! I could add an option to have them load at higher resolution if you want, but it will load slower.

Screensaver: I cant include Android's default wallpaper and live wallpapers, or at least I dont know how as the game is being drawn to a GL Surface (GMS stuff), but if you want to add custom wallpapaers just put any .png in the sdcard/CustomOUYALauncher/ directory and the app will recognize them (preferraly 1920x1080 or 960x540) :)

Thanks all for the feedback! expect an update today with theese changes, and keep it coming :D

Papi
09-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Anyone else notice their fan constantly on? When the launcher sits idle in the home screen my temp was clocked at 65C. It normally sits 50C with the default launcher..weird

InvaderGames
09-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Anyone else notice their fan constantly on? When the launcher sits idle in the home screen my temp was clocked at 65C. It normally sits 50C with the default launcher..weird

O.o
I hope its not the launcher causing that.. If it is, I have no control over that, the OS decides weter or not is nessesar to turn the fan on (wich is never a bad thing I guess)

On a side note, I was exchanging emails with a reviewer at the OUYA team to get the launcher on the store, so far they liked it and they are looking into making a list of requirements for apps like this one (wich they havent made yet), so if it all goes well and I can keep up to the requirements, It may get into the store :D :D :D
One requirement was no root, so...

pandronic
09-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Low-res tiles: This is to improove loading time, tiles are gathered from OUYA's servers at the resolution I ask for, and I dont want having to wait too long for them to show up, at least not on he store! I could add an option to have them load at higher resolution if you want, but it will load slower.

You could load the low-res ones and then when all the visible titles have loaded, load the hi-res ones over them.

What about my feature request for a button to eject storage/browse with external app? Doable? It really sucks to have to go all the way into Advanced Settings to eject my stick.

Thanks

InvaderGames
09-13-2013, 01:26 PM
You could load the low-res ones and then when all the visible titles have loaded, load the hi-res ones over them.
Thanks

Yeah I guess that would be possible as well :D

Outstanding job. Could you please add the ability to eject / browse (if you have FilePwn installed) the external storage? Also an update notification / autoupdate would be nice.

I use FilePwn as well, but I dont know what you mean by eject/browse.. you mean, mount storage or just open the file browser to the sdcard? :S
If you mean the second, just go into APPS and open FilePwn from there, If you meant the first, it requires root.

Autoupdate is up and running for the Launcher only, until I figure out a reliable way to check for updates for all installed games and apps right from the system, its already in the priority list.

pandronic
09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah I guess that would be possible as well :D
I use FilePwn as well, but I dont know what you mean by eject/browse.. you mean, mount storage or just open the file browser to the sdcard? :S
If you mean the second, just go into APPS and open FilePwn from there, If you meant the first, it requires root.

Maybe I wasn't too clear - if you plug in an USB stick, it would be helpful if the Launcher would detect that and ask you if you'd like to browse it and later when you are done with it, it would be nice to have an easy to reach button to eject the stick directly from the launcher without the need to go into Android's Advanced Settings. It's not a must have feature, just a little bit of polish to make our lives with OUYA easier.

Autoupdate is up and running for the Launcher only, until I figure out a reliable way to check for updates for all installed games and apps right from the system, its already in the priority list.

Good to hear.

riceandfajitas145
09-13-2013, 06:02 PM
I always like to see custom launchers! Thanks for your work here. Definitely going to try this out today.

InvaderGames
09-13-2013, 06:36 PM
First update! :D

v1.0.4: (13/09/2013)
- Updater version display number fixed (you wont see it until 1.0.5 is up)
- Analog sticks fixed
- Installed games/apps icons now load from the apps, not OUYA servers (no more loading bars in menu!)
- Games and Apps now show sorted by last used first, then alphabetically

If you want to have the high-res thumbnails loaded right from the apps, just clear the app data from the Android system settings :)

Edit: I noticed FilePwn does not show correctly when sorted alphabetically, this is because the display name in FilePwn is the same as the package name..

RoinGrindwald
09-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Wow! This is a great launcher alternative. You did an excellent job and love that it fits into the Ouya theme so well.

One thing though, Is it possible to add support to control the launcher with a keyboard? I have a mini keyboard I use for XBMC and I find I have to turn my Ouya Controller on to get into XBMC then use the keyboard from there on. If you could add that, then that would be great.

Thanks again

Cristian Ugalde Cascante
09-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Totally rocking this on my Ouya! Can I ask some things?

- It can be possible to change the game tiles? This goes because:
- Is it posibble to add shortcuts? Many emulators have an option to add a shortcut to a specific game, and having the games right on the main screen would be just so nice!, and this leads to:
- Can new tabs be created? You know, like one that says "retro".

Excuse my english, and nice work! ;)

EDIT: Something I forgot, I think something that your launcher needs is a update icon for the tiles, since some of my games needs updating, and since the launcher just launch the game, I really don't know which app needs updating. Thanks(:

kiba urufu
09-14-2013, 01:33 AM
InvaderGames: Update on the bug I emailed you. It seems that it is not just an issue with ethernet as it happens on wifi too. You got the email after I re-sent it, right?

Also, one suggestion I have is to keep the main menu choices visible when scrolling down. At least for me, I find it a bit annoying to have them disappear as you go down when they're all visible from the first choice.

InvaderGames
09-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Wow! This is a great launcher alternative. You did an excellent job and love that it fits into the Ouya theme so well.

One thing though, Is it possible to add support to control the launcher with a keyboard? I have a mini keyboard I use for XBMC and I find I have to turn my Ouya Controller on to get into XBMC then use the keyboard from there on. If you could add that, then that would be great.

Thanks again
Thanks! I will look into adding support for regular keyoard inputs (shouldnt be too hard), altrough I cant guarantee it will work on USB keyboards or bluetooth (bluetooth may not work at all), 1.0.5 ;)

- It can be possible to change the game tiles? This goes because:
- Is it posibble to add shortcuts? Many emulators have an option to add a shortcut to a specific game, and having the games right on the main screen would be just so nice!, and this leads to:
- Can new tabs be created? You know, like one that says "retro".

Shortcouts to emulated games; theese would really depend a LOT on the specific emulator/app and where do you have your games stored.. It is SO variable right now, and it needs so many configuration to be made within the launcher that it might be just a whole lot of work just to save the lazyness of actually navigating into the game and selecting your games right from there.

EDIT: Something I forgot, I think something that your launcher needs is a update icon for the tiles, since some of my games needs updating, and since the launcher just launch the game, I really don't know which app needs updating. Thanks(:
Right now, as I said earlier, I have no way of detecting if a game needs to be updated. It is TOP in my priority list to figure this out as soon as possible, but once I do, games will get updated automatically, as that is the OUYA way.

boxtropica
09-14-2013, 02:06 AM
This is wonderful.
I liked the design of the Kickstarter video, only to be dissapointed to find the menu quite... Horrible.
This is just amazing!
I love you. <3

InvaderGames
09-14-2013, 02:32 AM
InvaderGames: Update on the bug I emailed you. It seems that it is not just an issue with ethernet as it happens on wifi too. You got the email after I re-sent it, right?

Also, one suggestion I have is to keep the main menu choices visible when scrolling down. At least for me, I find it a bit annoying to have them disappear as you go down when they're all visible from the first choice.

Yep got the email, altrough I cant replicate it, not even on ethernet.. :( (wiped settings and all) As far as I can see, it would seems like your connection is a bit poor and doesnt load up correctly during the first load? :S not sure..

main menu; this is more a design choice, kept from the kickstarter vid idea.. I kinda got used to it and I like it.. If I get a better idea (thats both stylish and works) I can change it :)

Wraith_Vague
09-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Its a fantastic project already. You have to wonder what train derailed inside OUYA before retail launch to cause the brain damaged coloring book OUYA UI we have now. Well done. I'll be using this and keeping an eye on the progress.

You might see if you can somehow do a template system or something. We have a lot of talented graphics people here and there is a thread where we had UI mockups being posted for creative fun that were excellent ideas.

cptnovius
09-14-2013, 03:42 AM
I actually like this better then default ouya. keep up the good work.

kiba urufu
09-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Yep got the email, altrough I cant replicate it, not even on ethernet.. :( (wiped settings and all) As far as I can see, it would seems like your connection is a bit poor and doesnt load up correctly during the first load? :S not sure..

main menu; this is more a design choice, kept from the kickstarter vid idea.. I kinda got used to it and I like it.. If I get a better idea (thats both stylish and works) I can change it :)

hmm, i'll have to look into in then. It's also not on just the first load, it's a consecutive thing. As long as I have a network connection I get the error. I wonder if any of my sideloaded stuff could be interfering.

Oh wow, never noticed that functionality in the video; only really remember the still. I just kinda prefer having all main menu options visible at all times, I find it helps keep track of where you are located when scrolling up and down. Speaking of scrolling up and down, what do you think about adding triggers as a way to navigate the main menu options? I thought about using it for my maybe-only-theoretical dashboard. Back to the UI, I understand wanting to keep it until you find a better solution =) Maybe, for now, leave the menu item just above the current one visible and make it translucent, to help hint that they're currently not at the top?

InvaderGames
09-14-2013, 04:43 AM
Triggers. the trigger buttons? yeah totally doable.. wouldnt be my control of choice trough, since its vertical, but I can do it for sure ;)

@Wraith_Vague; I will definately check if I can get some inspiration from there! thanks for the tip!! :D
Right now a template system would be INCREDIBLY awesome, but damn GMS wouldnt really allow me to do it in a 'simple' way.. actually it wouldbe even simpler to let it open source and let anyone who wants to hack it and try to make mods.. we will see..
PS; they mention the kickstarter mockup a LOT haha
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?6153-Your-dream-OUYA-UI/

This is something I'v been working on today, remember the flipping tiles animations in the kickstarter mockup? well.. I really liked it..
http://s16.postimg.org/57euji2v9/Sin_t_tulo_1.png

Its time for sleep now...

androidplayer
09-14-2013, 05:00 AM
Here I had problems, installed, and when I "open" the app it says:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event

kiba urufu
09-14-2013, 05:17 AM
Androidplayer: try disconnecting from the internet and opening the app. if that works, you're having the same issue as me. When you get the error, scroll down and report the rest of the error.

InvaderGames: Yeah something about trigger navigation just sorta appeals to me since it feels so convenient. I'm also planning to use the bumpers (or maybe i'm getting triggers and bumbers confused; I tend to do that), for navigating 'groups'/tabs inside my dashboard screens.

androidplayer
09-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Now the messege is:

Error in action number 1 of drawn event for object playlist_game

Trying to drawn non existing sprit. at gml object playlist game draw 0

sorry for my english, i am brazilian.

arm206
09-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Now the messege is:

Error in action number 1 of drawn event for object playlist_game

Trying to drawn non existing sprit. at gml object playlist game draw 0

sorry for my english, i am brazilian.

Here is what I did...

I uninstalled v.1.0.3 and installed v.1.0.4 (sideloaded with FilePwn).
After starting it, I got the same error as you:
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/130914/error_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
I uninstalled v.1.0.4 and put back v.1.0.3 again (sideloaded with FilePwn).
I let v.1.0.3 to automatically update itself to v.1.0.4.
The error is now gone.

InvaderGames
09-14-2013, 12:16 PM
huh.. thats weird.. basically sideload and update are the same.. but based on that, there is a slight chance the linked .apk in the topic might be broken trough (and the updates arent), I will check and edit.

@kiba urufu; So, you mean triggers/bumber to navigate horizontally trough the tiles or verically trough the menues? (sorry I just cant get it clearly)

Cave Four
09-15-2013, 06:20 AM
I'm getting the same error as mentioned above, will there be an update soon, or is there somewhere I can download the older version?

InvaderGames
09-15-2013, 06:32 AM
try clearing the launcher data, unisntalling and then sideload this one:
http://invadergames.net/ouya/NewStoreOUYA-Default-1.0.4.apk
Ps: This is the same link the updater uses

If that doesnt work then I promise to upload 1.0.5 tomorrow (I should test it a little more and maybe add some more stuff, but no problem)

Cave Four
09-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Yeah still not working, looking forward to your update though, it looks nice from what little I can see of it lol

InvaderGames
09-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Ook, uploading new version;
v1.0.5:
- 3d-like flipping tiles added
- Changed behaviour on 'reset default lancher' button
- Fixed severe crash when opening certain websites
- Fixed positive timezones bug
- Fixed when you navigated far-right, then pressed A, then O again.
- Multilanguage support (English, French and Spanish)

I am thinking of revamping the UI a whole lot, I may change it a bit drastically, but not without ask for advices first, I will finish uploading and edit with my thoughts..

Edit: So, my big concern right now about the UI is that it is too vertical, thats not a bad thing overall, but I realized that on the TV screen, with so many options available, especially in the store/discover , it is a complete mess. You cannot know wich option is next, it is not clear where in the whole list of menues you are in. You never know where the bloddy end is at in relation to you.
This is in part thanks to the OUYA team who created SOO many, long playlists and the way they initially organized their menues, but part of the logic behind this launcher is to fix what OUYA has messed up in the menu, this is our chance to make it BETTER. I need your opinions about how to do this in a way it is not only easy to navigate, but also pretty for our eyes ;)

I am thinking about making the options horizontal, and use the space below the tiles to display the current menues icons or names, maybe a-la PlayStation menu, except only horizontal nad not vertical, where little icons are displayed on the bottom, you can move them left/right and select one to be opened on the top, wheer the tiles and maybe some other stuff will be. Problem with this is, as usual, the discover/store menu. The neverending list of menues will still be there annoying us, in the end it might be a mess.

I can, and proably should, rearrange the tiles differently than how OUYA does right now. Maybe keep the genres clasification, make featured and trending the first thing you see when opening the store, and leave the rest of the games ordered alphabetically.. so you can navigate trough theese sections more easily and find stuff without having to scroll int oinfinity just to see whats there. Maybe even make a 'whats new' secion and show the last 15 games uploaded to the store.

I really need some input about this, what are your thooghts? what would you change to the current menu organization? how you YOU like it to be so you can navigate trough the whole bunch of 300+ games available right now? :)

Wraith_Vague
09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Id work on a template system :P Somehow. Then you can have your cake and eat it too. Changing up the UI could be as simple as clicking a dropdown box and choosing what you want. That way people would have a selection while working on other UI designs. But if that is too difficult, see if you can get rid of the dual row slide across management of items. Maybe you wont be able to, but what you have done so far exceeds expectations since its a custom launcher without the need for root access and has full store integration.

Cave Four
09-15-2013, 09:19 PM
is it possible people might be getting the error from having modified apps not normaly supposed to be in the "Play" section?

Like maybe its trying to grab information for those games, and when not found it produces the error? I'm still having trouble launching it.

ERROR in action number 1 of Alarm Event for alarm 0 for object playlist_game:

Trying to get texture from non-existing sprite. at gml_Object_playlist_game_Alarm_0

InvaderGames
09-15-2013, 09:35 PM
is it possible people might be getting the error from having modified apps not normaly supposed to be in the "Play" section?

Like maybe its trying to grab information for those games, and when not found it produces the error? I'm still having trouble launching it.

ERROR in action number 1 of Alarm Event for alarm 0 for object playlist_game:

Trying to get texture from non-existing sprite. at gml_Object_playlist_game_Alarm_0

yes that seems to be the cause, but I think it would only happen if you have a game or app installed tagged with the manifest as an OUYA game or app and not cerrectly configured (missing ouya_icon.png in its resources folder, or not existing in the store)

This could only happen if you have an OUYA app that is in developement or that is misconigured trough.. or maybe I misunderstood what you meant :)

Cave Four
09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
yes I have apps in my play section, that are not in the app store, unfortunately I'm not willing to lose how they are setup to run your app :(

I've been putting a lot work in trying to integrate my sideloaded games with ouya store ones.

InvaderGames
09-15-2013, 10:02 PM
yes I have apps in my play section, that are not in the app store, unfortunately I'm not willing to lose how they are setup to run your app :(

I've been putting a lot work in trying to integrate my sideloaded games with ouya store ones.

Ill make a patch to the missing icons show as blank images, dont worry ;)

Knowing where the issues is makes it a hell easier to fix..

Cave Four
09-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Ill make a patch to the missing icons show as blank images, dont worry ;)

Knowing where the issues is makes it a hell easier to fix..

That'd be great, I'd really like to get your app running it looks really good so far.

One feature id like to see that's not in the OUYA ui is the ability to customize the tile lay out on the front end or something similar, so that user can easily access their favorite apps, don't know if that's something already integrated or planned to be.

InvaderGames
09-15-2013, 10:44 PM
That'd be great, I'd really like to get your app running it looks really good so far.

One feature id like to see that's not in the OUYA ui is the ability to customize the tile lay out on the front end or something similar, so that user can easily access their favorite apps, don't know if that's something already integrated or planned to be.

Try this apk:
http://invadergames.com.ar/ouya/NewStoreOUYA-Default-1.0.5r2.apk

If that one doesnt work, a dalvnik log would be extremely helpful as well :)

Cave Four
09-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Yup that did it.

Your launcher must access the games different from OUYA because on the normal launcher my games show up with their proper names, and I made custom Tile images for them.

I noticed that your launcher the games that now show up blank also show their obb/data file name instead apk name.

if you wanted to clean up navigation a bit you could make it where going to the 6th tile pages to the next 5 tiles instead of one by one.

My apps section is very bare, not enough to justify its own section, they might be better off back in the "games" or "other" section. this might differ for different users but my games and other section actually require navigating off screen compared to my apps section that only has 4 tiles, and FPSE emulator shows up as an app where other emulators show up under games.

maybe have all emulators show in the app section?

You can go vertical with the apks if you put sections horizontal (yes like PS3, might be nicer)

apps /store /other

----- ----- -----
----- ----- -----

sorry if I confuse you or criticize to much, just pointing stuff out as I see it.

Your app uses military time format by default with not way to change it, would like use 12hr am/pm format if possible.

InvaderGames
09-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Yes it certainly does access differently, right now the dafualt launcher bulks everything into one place and finds one of two; either the regular android icon or the ouya_icon.png image the OUYA requires (wich is 732x412). I am only checking against the ouya_icon.png as that is what every game and app in the ouya should have, if they dont have it then it shouldnt be flagged in the manifest with the OUYA categories ;)

BUT I think they are not displaying any data at all because they are simply not listed in the OUYA store, therefore ignoring all data (I really didnt expected an installed game not to be in the store lol)

I suposse I could patch around it to get the info right from the package (app name and proper icon)

Edit; Yeah, like PS3 was something I had in mind, the size of the tiles trough makes it a bit hard to think about it as a vertical scrolling (PS3 has covers being taller than wider), but it is definately more comfortable for the user to have the apks be vertical and general tab/section to be horizontal ;)

boxtropica
09-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Sorry if someone has already said this, but I haven't seen this within the couple of pages I've read: I tried the launcher, but when I go to the PLAY tab, a couple of games are visible and possible to launch, but others simple have a blank picture and won't load. I'll try disconnecting and reconnecting my wifi, and I'll try ethernet, so this may not be a real problem.

Cave Four
09-15-2013, 11:45 PM
when I access games info page in the store I get booted to launcher, a lot!

Yes I use 732x412 tiles in the res/drawable-xhdpi

but I do not always name them ouya_icon.png just icon.png

edit:

Could we see something in the future to move apks in the "other" section into "games" or "apps" and maybe visa versa?

Highlight Game/App

Press "Y"

Menu
Copy
Erase
Move
Add to Favorites
Remove from Favorites
Rename?
etc.

Move To
Games
Apps
Other

InvaderGames
09-15-2013, 11:48 PM
(this is a mockup, not the real thing just in case :P)

http://s11.postimg.org/m0hjsqcwj/OUYA.png

Thoughts? tiles would either scroll down or to the sides, dunno
Having removed the vertical titles also leaves me with more space to put more tiles or some other info

Cave Four
09-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Having removed the vertical titles also leaves me with more space to put more tiles or some other info

yes, more tiles is better since you are using "O" to access navigation instead of a new page.

Maybe use a "Big Tile" as first tile for "last played game"?

Starfighter
09-16-2013, 12:20 AM
I would say the tiles need to scroll sideways since the menu is sideways. Having mixed orientations is a bit confusing (at least for me).

Cave Four
09-16-2013, 12:31 AM
How about cover flow? have the tiles carousel?

Starfighter
09-16-2013, 12:52 AM
I like that idea, but I think it has to be implemented with great care, so it doesn't feel too messy. Like... You shouldn't be able to see the full "circle" when flipping, only a handful of titles. And the option to get a full overview at any time.

Jake53
09-16-2013, 12:57 AM

http://s11.postimg.org/m0hjsqcwj/OUYA.png

Looks beautiful.

As Starfighter said, sideways scrolling is best.

Why the change from "sideloaded" to "other"?

If you don't want to use "sideloaded" (I'm guessing because it contains things like the native browser and settings) I'd suggest "Android" or "Droid" as an alternative.

InvaderGames
09-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Carrousell might be cool, as you said it must not be a full circle, only the front of it. But im guessing I should do the other parts before making the carousell effect (change the titles arrangement, make triple rows, fix the bloddy store, etc)

the "Sideloaded" to "other" is just as you said, some apps are not sideloaded and still show up in the list.. (Download manager, browser) Using "Android" or something related would make people think they are about to enter the Android settings or something like that.. "Other" seems much more appropiate for me (I also considerated "Misc" and "Miscelaneous")

boxtropica
09-16-2013, 09:26 PM
"Other" seems much more appropiate for me (I also considerated "Misc" and "Miscelaneous")
"Other" seems like a better choice to me.
Words that are uncommon to find in a simple menu or too long of a word looks unnatural in the simplistic-style OUYA launcher.

kiba urufu
09-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Sorry about the way late response to your question Invaders.

@kiba urufu; So, you mean triggers/bumber to navigate horizontally trough the tiles or verically trough the menues? (sorry I just cant get it clearly)
Seeing as your new mockup has a horizontal nav, i guess this question is a bit moot, but pretty much what I meant was triggers to navigate through the menu options and bumpers to sorta paginate through the menu item content (such as moving a whole tile page)
Example:
RT Trigger: Store -> Games
RT Bumper: Page 1 of Games -> Page 2 of Games

I like it! I do find the menu icon takes up a a bit too much vertical space. Maybe have the icons beside the menu item? or even just the current menu item has text and the rest are all icons (not sure how well this would look with your choice of icons)

Also, why do we keep differentiating(as in giving them their own menu) Apps (Ouya store downloads that fall under the 'App' category) from normal android apps/sideloaded ? Why not lump them under Apps and differentiate with a filter? Similar to how android's app manager is: 'downloaded' (aka Play store) is still considered an app but has a specific tab under the app manager.

twistedvivid
09-17-2013, 03:03 AM
Can we add a Custom Backgrounds to your Custom OUYA Launcher? Every time I do it crashes the Launcher

kiba urufu
09-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Can we add a Custom Backgrounds to your Custom OUYA Launcher? Every time I do it crashes the Launcher

What filetype is the background you are trying to use? Because he's stated that, currently, only PNGs are supported.

twistedvivid
09-17-2013, 07:21 AM
What filetype is the background you are trying to use? Because he's stated that, currently, only PNGs are supported.

PNG the resolution on it was 1920 x 1080
Maybe I should try a different one

InvaderGames
09-17-2013, 01:03 PM
@Twistedvivid: Try a smaller one (or reduce the one yo uhave), the Launcher runs at 960x540, and the ones I provided are at that size.

Also, why do we keep differentiating(as in giving them their own menu) Apps (Ouya store downloads that fall under the 'App' category) from normal android apps/sideloaded ? Why not lump them under Apps and differentiate with a filter? Similar to how android's app manager is: 'downloaded' (aka Play store) is still considered an app but has a specific tab under the app manager.

This is because OUYA is making that differentiation from within the apps manifest, and in the docs they ask developers to add the right intent to their apps (weter it is an app or a game). If OUYA is making such differentiation.. why not take advantage of it? I find it a bit more organized imho, despite the fact you have less tiles in that category.

Also that is why some emulators fall into that category, because the emulators developers sometimes tag emulators as 'APP' and no 'GAME'

Jake53
09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Have you thought about sound effects or background music?

Cave Four
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM

I thought about this too, it would be nice to have some kind of intro, and movement sound, background music would be good as long as you can choose your own music, or be able to disable it.

InvaderGames
09-17-2013, 06:09 PM
I thought about this too, it would be nice to have some kind of intro, and movement sound, background music would be good as long as you can choose your own music, or be able to disable it.

Indeed, that would be nice, I thought about adding SFX for the most basic stuff (moving around, selecting tiles, and such) I have something in mind, but I have to sit and do it at some point (im not good at making sounds, but with some effort and coffe I can get there ;) )

Cave Four
09-17-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm noticing that your launcher has some troubles with the store.

It crashes, has trouble loading tiles, has no que, and no auto install.

If these thing can be optimized later, it would make using the store in your launcher much more appealing.

InvaderGames
09-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm noticing that your launcher has some troubles with the store.

It crashes, has trouble loading tiles, has no que, and no auto install.

If these thing can be optimized later, it would make using the store in your launcher much more appealing.

Yeah the store is a pain in the arse.. mostly because of the way it is made on the OUYA side.. loading all those tiles constantly is not a good idea, takes a lot of memory swaps and causes a crash (GMS is not quite stable with that)
Especially when browsing the playlists that are down in the list. you have to go trough all the previous lists and that means loading and un-loading all those tiles in a very short period of time.. casing the crashes you see.

Thats another very good reason to switch to a new store model.. along with the new layout. So far I have been working on it like this;
Open store, you have:
A-Z, Genres, Sandbox and Trending (shown as tiles). All the other tiles are the Featured (9? tiles) + old front of he store (6 tiles)
When entering A-Z; You have one tile for numbers, and one per letter.
When entering Genres; you have one tile per genre.
When entering Sandbxo and trending you enter those respective playlists (those are set up by the OUYA team, just like you see them now in the current store model)
All are presented using the layout from the mockup (5x3 tiles, horizontal scrolling)

Like this, and even if I expand it further, I can rest assured you dont have to go trough an ininity of tiles and lists in order you find whatever it is that you want ;)

Cave Four
09-17-2013, 11:24 PM
You've got the start of a great launch none the less, are you familiar with custom launchers for Wii, Xbox, etc. to take inspiration from?

twistedvivid
09-17-2013, 11:34 PM
@Twistedvivid: Try a smaller one (or reduce the one yo uhave), the Launcher runs at 960x540, and the ones I provided are at that size.

This is because OUYA is making that differentiation from within the apps manifest, and in the docs they ask developers to add the right intent to their apps (weter it is an app or a game). If OUYA is making such differentiation.. why not take advantage of it? I find it a bit more organized imho, despite the fact you have less tiles in that category.

Also that is why some emulators fall into that category, because the emulators developers sometimes tag emulators as 'APP' and no 'GAME'

Ok it works now Thanks :) but I see a problem though if you select a dark background/wallpaper it is Difficult to see the text maybe in the next update give us an option to customize the text color

InvaderGames
09-17-2013, 11:40 PM
You've got the start of a great launch none the less, are you familiar with custom launchers for Wii, Xbox, etc. to take inspiration from?

Not really, I may have to watch some videos as I dont own any of those.. any particular feature or thing you'd like to point about those?

Ok it works now Thanks :) but I see a problem though if you select a dark background/wallpaper it is Difficult to see the text maybe in the next update give us an option to customize the text color

You have two themes in the settings menu, 'light' and 'dark', they are both todally opossite to adjust to either too light or too rak backgrounds :)

Failrunner
09-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Uh I kinda set this as my default launcher and I guess I wasn't supposed to? It keeps looping ouya over and over and I can't access anything at all now. How do I remove the launcher? O.o

Cave Four
09-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Uh I kinda set this as my default launcher and I guess I wasn't supposed to? It keeps looping ouya over and over and I can't access anything at all now. How do I remove the launcher? O.o

setting it as your custom launcher should be fine... it has an option to remove it as default launcher in the settings.

XBOX Freestyle Dash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-Vxx_849k

Wii USB Loader GX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdbrfsv-4SU

Failrunner
09-18-2013, 12:40 AM
setting it as your custom launcher should be fine... it has an option to remove it as default launcher in the settings.

XBOX Freestyle Dash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-Vxx_849k

Wii USB Loader GX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdbrfsv-4SU

I got it working. I rebooted twice and it all of the sudden worked! Looks awesome. Does this at all require root or is it not needed. I have root but I like when It's not needed. The store looks great. It takes time to cache images but it's worth the time to allow all the menus to load. Some of the games and apps get cut off though. I like that you don't show all the images at once though. It's a lot neater that way. I'm gonna show this off on youtube. =)

twistedvivid
09-18-2013, 01:39 AM
I also noticed when I select it as my default launcher I push the home button and it does nothing then I push it again and it takes me back to the menu it seems like I have to push it the home button like 4 times to get it to the main menu

kiba urufu
09-18-2013, 06:15 AM

I get that Ouya has the custom intents, I just don't really see why normal apps need their own root menu item. It just seems more logical to me to split menus by Games and Apps, then you can filter the Ouya specific apps or such using filter views; having it under a whole 'nother root menu just seems unnecessary and (because of the current wording) sorta misleading (or maybe hidden is a better word). I use quite a few of the sideloaded apps (youtube and xbmc) and just like having them under 'Make' in the default launcher I wouldn't immediately think 'Other', as I would see 'App' and think that's where they would show up.

Anywoof, that's obviously just my opinion and you are free to stick to your guns on your launcher. Hell, I may even be the minority on the point.

I also noticed when I select it as my default launcher I push the home button and it does nothing then I push it again and it takes me back to the menu it seems like I have to push it the home button like 4 times to get it to the main menu

When you say 'push' do you mean a quick push? or a a long press? Just want to make sure it isn't just a silly misunderstanding of the 'U' button mechanics, because just pushing the 'U' triggers the app menu, not the Home action.

twistedvivid
09-18-2013, 07:51 AM
quick pushing it twice then quick pushing it again twice brings up the launcher

kiba urufu
09-18-2013, 08:13 AM
hmm, and it only opens on the second double tap, every time? Then unfortunately I won't be able to help any further as that sounds like something only Invaders will have an idea about.

Maybe (and real long shot here; please take no offense Invaders), the action.DEFAULT is missing from android.manifest?

InvaderGames
09-18-2013, 02:42 PM
I get that Ouya has the custom intents, I just don't really see why normal apps need their own root menu item. It just seems more logical to me to split menus by Games and Apps, then you can filter the Ouya specific apps or such using filter views; having it under a whole 'nother root menu just seems unnecessary and (because of the current wording) sorta misleading (or maybe hidden is a better word). I use quite a few of the sideloaded apps (youtube and xbmc) and just like having them under 'Make' in the default launcher I wouldn't immediately think 'Other', as I would see 'App' and think that's where they would show up.

Anywoof, that's obviously just my opinion and you are free to stick to your guns on your launcher. Hell, I may even be the minority on the point.

Well I sort of understand, but, I repeat, it feels more natural to have apps sorted somehow, and not just mixed in the same box right after you install without having to fiddle around each one of them to sort them out. I probably wont be changing that. What I may do, after I finish with all the major stuff I am adding, is probably the ability to move apps to a different category if you need (think the PSX emulator for instance, or in-developement apps). Those are either misconfigured or just not configured yet, or for some reason they dont show up where they should. This will also allow users to move around the apps whatever way they need between menues.
I have not 100% decided how this will work, but it is a pretty requested feature as of now.

quick pushing it twice then quick pushing it again twice brings up the launcher

Isnt that the expected behaviour..? you press twice the U utton, goes to the default launcher (either the OUYA launcher or mine).. there is really no more than that (also, android oes this automatically, I just define the launcher in the manifest, android does the rest)

Maybe (and real long shot here; please take no offense Invaders), the action.DEFAULT is missing from android.manifest?

It is there..

Failrunner
09-18-2013, 02:42 PM
When I plug in a usb hub it causes the launcher to keep rebooting. Also it wouldn't hurt if the text had a drop shadow because it blends in with the stock bg which I like that bg a lot! I think the animation speed for when moving around the interface could be faster because it feels really slow moving around the menus. The images load super slow to.

kiba urufu
09-18-2013, 09:57 PM
It is there...
Yeah I figured it would be; I reread the android SDK docs about it and guess I misread the description for category.DEFAULT (so badly, in fact that I read 'action' instead of 'category'), so you can ignore the ramblings of my mind. And I'm gonna shut up with the debugging suggestions; I'm like 0 and 3 now or something.

InvaderGames
09-19-2013, 04:47 AM
@kiba_urufu; Dont worry! feedback is always good no matter what! I preffer that over nothing, keep them coming!
It also allows me to explain some things more in-depth for whoever feels like reading some tech-y stuff about how everything works, and why not, make suggestions on how to improove the current codebase or systems ;)

So, right now I am uploading 1.0.6 as I type, here's the list of changes:

I also included a couple more wallpapers.. I would like to add some more, chosen by you guys if possible. If you have a wallpaper that you would like to see included by default with the launcher, pass it around, its as easy as pie :)

Edit: I must admit this version is pretty goddarn stable in comparission to the previous ones, I am using it as my default launcher ever since I remove the old store without any major issues!

Cave Four
09-19-2013, 04:58 AM
@kiba_urufu; Dont worry! feedback is always good no matter what! I preffer that over nothing, keep them coming!
It also allows me to explain some things more in-depth for whoever feels like reading some tech-y stuff about how everything works, and why not, make suggestions on how to improove the current codebase or systems ;)

So, right now I am uploading 1.0.6 as I type, here's the list of changes:

I also included a couple more wallpapers.. I would like to add some more, chosen by you guys if possible. If you have a wallpaper that you would like to see included by default with the launcher, pass it around, its as easy as pie :)

going to scoop it up asap, will comment back, ill check out the wallpapers too, and see if I have any suggestions.

The top right corner shows the FPS and some other information im not sure intended to be there.

I like the in-out tile animation, very smooth

The wallpapers are alright, but more OUYA orientated ones would be nice.

The horizontal layout was a change for the better, feels much easier to navigate, but I'm still not sure I like having to press "o" to navigate it, seems like it would be easier just to press up or down to get into the tile selection.

Changing the color of the selected menu would make it much easier to know what section your in, sometime I still get confused if im looking at the "store" or "games section etc.

The genre icons was a very nice surprise, but you should put some on the front store section for a-z, genre, sandbox, etc.

The store still crashes occasionally for me, and my modded apks icons still don't show, if you could fix those two issues I'd be very happy about that personally :)

InvaderGames
09-19-2013, 06:06 AM
going to scoop it up asap, will comment back, ill check out the wallpapers too, and see if I have any suggestions.

The top right corner shows the FPS and some other information im not sure intended to be there.

I like the in-out tile animation, very smooth

The wallpapers are alright, but more OUYA orientated ones would be nice.

The horizontal layout was a change for the better, feels much easier to navigate, but I'm still not sure I like having to press "o" to navigate it, seems like it would be easier just to press up or down to get into the tile selection.

Changing the color of the selected menu would make it much easier to know what section your in, sometime I still get confused if im looking at the "store" or "games section etc.

The genre icons was a very nice surprise, but you should put some on the front store section for a-z, genre, sandbox, etc.

Goooosh I forgot to remove the debug, reuploading right now with same ver. number, sorry for that ¬¬

I definately like this input as a whole... I cant say I was confused by weter I was in "Store" or "Apps" since I find it very conveniently placed in the middle, but yeah maybe a bit of white or something more noticeable wont hurt ;)

ICONS! I was really looking forward to make the icons in the Store, but just didnt get inspired enough to make them.. I WILL make them trough, for sure (I dont like those empty spaced neither!)

Edit: reuploaded without the debug, same version, same link. If you used the updater to get it you may have to sideload it. If you never seen the debug, ignore this, your overscan is hidding it ;)

Edit2: Maybe pressing up OR O to navigate into the menues? I am used to press O and A to navigate, maybe its just me. Maybe having both options is the way to go?

Failrunner
09-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Kewl update. I found out that the issue with the launcher rebooting was not to do with usb hubs but nano receivers for my wireless mice and keyboards. I tried a bunch of them without the usb hub and they all cause the launcher to reboot rapidly. Everything seems much better now though. I agree that not having to press o to navigate would be better.

Cave Four
09-19-2013, 06:20 AM
I know its in the center, but there should be more of a visual stand out. Why not make make them the color of the menu txt, and make the center one the highlight color, would be much easier on the eyes.

sorry for the horrible mock up

this is how id like the navigation to be using the directional pad

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/9059/a3t.png

and simple stuff like this would work for wallpaper

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Columnist/Columnists/2013/6/26/1372247691030/ouya-console-009.jpg

Papi
09-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Edit2: Maybe pressing up OR O to navigate into the menues? I am used to press O and A to navigate, maybe its just me. Maybe having both options is the way to go?

I usually use one hand on the dpad of the controller to navigate thru the menu so I'd love to simply be able to press UP to access it.

InvaderGames
09-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Ahh I see.. You guys are thinking about it like the Xbox menu right? I can addapt it to be more like that, but some things still need to use the O to accept and A to cancel/go back, like when you get into the genres menu.. moving all the way down, then all the way down again to exit stacked submenues doesnt really feel natural to me.
it would fit much better if the menu was designed to be 4-directional only, but the navigation trough the tiles already uses the dpad navigation and it kinda interferes with it (if you go to the bottom by accident, you are thrown to the previous menu, to enter a tile the only possible way to do it is using O)

I am working on making it so you can at least access the menues main pages pressing up and exit moving to the bottom, but ONLY for the main menues. If you go into Genres, A-Z, etc, you cant do this (you have to press A to go back)

Cave Four
09-19-2013, 02:46 PM
yes like the xbox would explain it best, don't know why I didn't think about that lol.

having to go back "a" in sub menus is fine, it will still feel natural.

dank101
09-21-2013, 09:47 PM
can you make the apps randomly sized, like the original launcher?

InvaderGames
09-21-2013, 09:49 PM
v1.0.7 changelog
- Added auto turn off option
- Added R/L support for main menues navigation, fixed transitions
- Redesigned buttons / settings menu
- Some translations fixed

:D

can you make the apps randomly sized, like the original launcher?

I dont do it anymore because it caused some issues when moving left/right too far, it IS possile trough, but the bugs man, the bugs...

If I get them fixed it may be nice trough, I will look into it.. IF I manage to fix that you may see it on the next update

dank101
09-21-2013, 09:54 PM
the new update is crashing like hell in a handbasket, with a car, on a upside-down titanic

InvaderGames
09-21-2013, 09:57 PM
the new update is crashing like hell in a handbasket, with a car, on a upside-down titanic

Could you be more specific please? :S

timmytot666
09-21-2013, 09:58 PM
That was a pretty specific way of going to hell xD

dank101
09-21-2013, 09:59 PM
it crashed twice within 2 minutes, i may retrive a logcat, give me a sec

InvaderGames
09-21-2013, 10:02 PM
That was a pretty specific way of going to hell xD
lol +1 :P

it crashed twice within 2 minutes, i may retrive a logcat, give me a sec

If you could have a log that would be great.. also, where in the app it crashed? was it in hte store? A-Z, genres, games, apps? thats pretty important..

I wiped out my data and it seems to do it when caching lots of new images.. like, when entering sandbox then going to another section, etc

dank101
09-21-2013, 10:02 PM
randomly, completely random, it seems to have stopped after a reload, probably just my console

adb isn't working, bummer

InvaderGames
09-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I feel like this version is good enough to start working on experimental features.. depends on how it behaves for you guys. But if it goes well I may start adding some cool stuf for testing, like Friends or games/apps rearrangement.. Here is the full list of 'experimental' features I thought of, wich are all completely feasible:

- Favorites / Menues re-arrangement
- Social-like features (friends, recommendations, messages, notifications)
- Remote control/management (install apps from, say your phone or tablet or PC to the OUYA)
- Wifi management form within the app :?

Please note most of theese are pretty complex and take some time to do.. and then to test and debugs, thats some extra time as well. But they are all in the bounds of the 'possible' :)

Anyway, depends on how .7 goes

timmytot666
09-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Social features please. If I can chat with mah bros and then tell them to join me in a game that'll be exactly what Ouya needs.

dank101
09-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Social :D, and thanks for the overscan

Cave Four
09-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Love your work invader, will give it a try when I get a chance, looking forward to this being my default launcher.

dank101
09-21-2013, 10:46 PM
are you going to open source this?

InvaderGames
09-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Love your work invader, will give it a try when I get a chance, looking forward to this being my default launcher.

Thanks!!

are you going to open source this?

I could make the bitbucket repo public, but as I explained earlier its a bit useless because:
- It is made in GameMaker Studio
- Needs to have the GMS source files modified in orded to work as a launcher and all
- Requires Pro (wich is paid)

I dont see many people willing to buy gms, or even if they are willing to buy it or already have it, to know enough to modify the GMS code base to match my modifications. GMS runner fiiles cannot be shared, I can only share the knowledge on how to modify them.

dank101
09-21-2013, 11:05 PM
i have GMS pro, and what are the mods?

Cave Four
09-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Great update, using it as my default launcher now.

Its not necessary but have you thought about putting the menu on top and tiles on bottom, I'm just wondering if might feel better that way.

like the new wallpapers, and I noticed you decided to go with both navigation options, "O" and "Up" it works pretty good that way.

Papi
09-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Loving the new update Invader! Not sure but have you removed the feature to select your own wallpaper from a file?

riceandfajitas145
09-23-2013, 05:21 AM
I'm having a similar problem to Failrunner. I set this launcher to always and now it's boot looping. I also had XBMC set to open on launch with the "Boot" program before installing this. I can interrupt by pressing Y, which brings up the Power Off dialogue menu. Double-pressing the Ouya button on the controller just makes some squeaky noise on the speakers. Any idea how I can get back to the original launcher? I can still run things in XBMC, but it boot loops as soon as I exit it. Tried several reboots so far.

timmytot666
09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Uninstall so that it will boot to the normal launcher first.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

riceandfajitas145
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
The bootlooping doesn't allow me to get to the homescreen, so I can't access any menus or settings to uninstall it. I'm on 1.0.7.

Cave Four
09-23-2013, 03:23 PM
if you can get into xbmc you should be able to access all of your android programs, just go to the android settings app and delete the custom launcher?

riceandfajitas145
09-23-2013, 03:40 PM
When I exit XBMC, it resumes bootlooping.

timmytot666
09-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Look for your android apps from XBMC you should be able to get to advanced settings and then uninstall it...

riceandfajitas145
09-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Ohhhh, I forgot you could browse apps within XBMC. Thanks for the help, got it sorted. I guess I'll wait for a new version to try this launcher again. I really want to use it.

timmytot666
09-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Hahah, no worries. Glad to help ^_^

InvaderGames
09-23-2013, 10:39 PM
If you have auto boot enabled for some app it may interfere with the launcher, I havent tested, but this is highly not recommended... just disable autobooted apps and let the launcher as default using the option it has built in the settings menu.

If you dont have autoboot enabled.. I dont know.. try clearing the custom launcher chache and data files..? it works for most people so it is weird..

Loving the new update Invader! Not sure but have you removed the feature to select your own wallpaper from a file?

Nope, find it in the settings menu, you have to put your wallpapers in the SD card / CustomOUYALauncher folder

Cave Four
09-23-2013, 10:43 PM
If you have auto boot enabled for some app it may interfere with the launcher, I havent tested, but this is highly not recommended... just disable autobooted apps and let the launcher as default using the option it has built in the settings menu.

If you dont have autoboot enabled.. I dont know.. try clearing the custom launcher chache and data files..? it works for most people so it is weird..

Agreed removing apps from autopilot would most likely resolve the issue.

riceandfajitas145
09-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Okay, I'll try it again later without AutoBoot, thanks.

IncognitoMan
09-24-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm having an issue with the launcher atm.... it keeps looping this...

09-24 04:24:20.863: I/yoyo(1580): <b>Warning</b>: usort() [<a href [...]
09-24 04:24:20.863: I/yoyo(1580): b> on line <b>19</b><br />
09-24 04:24:20.863: I/yoyo(1580): {"games":null}
09-24 04:24:21.863: I/yoyo(1580): <br />

and thats as far as it goes.

Suggestions?

edit: ---------------------

Also getting this when switching off to use stock launcher. ( because it wont get past looping at the above error )

09-24 04:38:19.060: E/InputDispatcher(338): channel '4276d7f8 com.invadergames.customouyalauncher/com.invadergames.customouyalauncher.RunnerActivity (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!

InvaderGames
09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm having an issue with the launcher atm.... it keeps looping this...

09-24 04:24:20.863: I/yoyo(1580): <b>Warning</b>: usort() [<a href [...]
09-24 04:24:20.863: I/yoyo(1580): b> on line <b>19</b><br />
09-24 04:24:20.863: I/yoyo(1580): {"games":null}
09-24 04:24:21.863: I/yoyo(1580): <br />

and thats as far as it goes.

Suggestions?
[/CODE]

There seems to be an https issue with the OUYA servers at the moment.. I am gettings this as well, if you dont have a cached version of the games lists you may not be able to use the launcher until OUYA resolves it.

Edit: Gosh, gave it a quick fix on my server's end.. its ridiculous they havent fixed it yet :S

InvaderGames
09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
As requested guys, here is the latest update (1.0.8!), including social features:
- Added an indicator for already-installed apps/games
- Fixed a bug with boot/start animations
- Fixed all the internal API for buttons and such, now its easier to make more complex menues :)
- Keyboard replaced by a Big Picture-like flower input
- Social features started:
- Friends (add only, remove coming next)
- Recommendations based on your friends games
- Uses your OUYA account name, no login requried besides OUYA's one.

* phew *

There is not much to say about this version, besides the release notes.. you guys should really try it by yourselves. the keyboard if anyone wonders, is a replica of the Steam Big Picture mode flower keyboard, I did it this way because it sucks to use the default input box for typing long messages, it was pretty unstable and a pain in arse. I found this kind of keyboard to be MUCH more appropiate for gamepads. Hopefully the use of keyboard layouts like that will become more mainstream when the Steam OS gets released, its pretty nifty and there is plenty of room for improovement :)

Thanks to everyone who keeps emailing me bug reports (trough I do not ALWAYS reply, I do see them!) they are super helpful!

Oh and my OUYA username is "invadergames" ;)

timmytot666
09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Do we need root for this?

InvaderGames
09-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Do we need root for this?

Absolutely no, remove the need for root after a few builds :)

timmytot666
09-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Sorry I havnt checked in for awhile. Only reason I want to use your launcher is because you have friend abilities. Which ouya should have done already. Thank you for this gonna download today and give it a spin.

Fatal error in action number 1 of draw event for object social_chatbox: doset :: invalid comparison type gml_object_social_chatbox_draw_0

I'm messaging you through ouya invaderr.

Jake53
09-30-2013, 07:15 PM
This launcher is beautiful.

And feel free to add: Jake53

André Vivian
09-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Simply stunning launcher, thank you for your hard work.

Fellow Ouya fans, feel free to add me thelocaluk

cptnovius
09-30-2013, 11:38 PM
This is what the ouya should have been doing all along. great work feel free to add me also CPTNOVIUS

InvaderGames
09-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Awesome guys! I am pushing a small patch to circumvent some critical issues arised when I started receiving friend requests and all, including those you sent me trough PM (hooray!)

Its 1.0.8r2, relese 9 and should be downloading on your OUYA's in a few mins :)

Edit: it is great to see my recommendations filled with stuff I havent even checked! I will nake it so it doesnt show stuff you already have installed for next version :D

cptnovius
10-01-2013, 12:14 AM
updated thanks again

Cave Four
10-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Man, I'm so anxious to try this out, I need to wait until a little later when I can give it the attention it deserves, but I'm looking forward to trying everything out, thanks invader.

Papi
10-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Excellent update, invader. Feel free to add me Papismurf

dra6onfire
10-01-2013, 05:11 AM
Love the launcher but it is blurry like a low res image upscaled. What resolution is this in?

Cave Four
10-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Okay so a few notes about the social feature.

adding a user is case sensitive.

Is it regionlocked? I tried to add a user outside of my region, and although it didn't deny them there name never showed up in my list

and a major issue is that your txt flower has no caps lock, and it only allows the first letter in the txt to be capitalized, this means that people who's usernames have more than one capital letter can not be added in the friendslist, for example mine is all caps, TRIPLEXXXBALLA

also I would like to know if its possible to know if a user is online? is this already implemented or possible in the future?

On another note, is it at all possible to add the like button in to the game details? This is suppose to be a crucial part of the O-Rank, and without it there is no knowledge of a games progressing popularity or a way to contribute to getting games out of the sandbox.

InvaderGames
10-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Is it regionlocked? I tried to add a user outside of my region, and although it didn't deny them there name never showed up in my list

Nope, I actually have no way of knowing where is each user from (I could make an IP-check but I dont see the need)

and a major issue is that your txt flower has no caps lock, and it only allows the first letter in the txt to be capitalized, this means that people who's usernames have more than one capital letter can not be added in the friendslist, for example mine is all caps, TRIPLEXXXBALLA

Yep, A few other people noticed this and I fixed it for next version, now the keyboard start with caps on, then its disabled automatically ONLY for the second letter, but not afterwards, so you can keep using caps after that. (presing any key after the caps are set on wont set the caps off)

also I would like to know if its possible to know if a user is online? is this already implemented or possible in the future?

I could make it so you know when was the last time the user was actually using the console, since that info is being stored continuously on each request, would that be good/useful enough?

On another note, is it at all possible to add the like button in to the game details? This is suppose to be a crucial part of the O-Rank, and without it there is no knowledge of a games progressing popularity or a way to contribute to getting games out of the sandbox.
I tried! Unfortunately OUYA's API for the store does have some private parts wich we are not supossed to access; these parts include like/unlike, account information, credit cards info and parental controls, as far as I have observed. All of theese require a special auth key to be accessed or modified.

Without access to the OUYA store API, wich is the one that influences the O-Rank, there is no real good way of doing this. Trough I must admit the number of most played games do give results much alike the O-Rank, wich leds me to think the Rank is no more than a average between most installed games and most liked games.. that would explain why it never changes, because likes doesnt change and mostly-installed games usually follow the same pattern.

Cave Four
10-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Yep, A few other people noticed this and I fixed it for next version, now the keyboard start with caps on, then its disabled automatically ONLY for the second letter, but not afterwards, so you can keep using caps after that. (presing any key after the caps are set on wont set the caps off)

I could make it so you know when was the last time the user was actually using the console, since that info is being stored continuously on each request, would that be good/useful enough?

Cool hopefully it the update can be rolled out soon, I feel kind of left not being able to be added to anyone's friends list lol

That would be kind of cool, would you maybe be able to see what the user was last doing? playing game, using an app, using the dashboard. etc? I think it would be useful enough to at least know when they were last online so you can have a small idea whether to expect a reply soon or not to messages.

InvaderGames
10-01-2013, 07:53 AM
That would be kind of cool, would you maybe be able to see what the user was last doing? playing game, using an app, using the dashboard. etc? I think it would be useful enough to at least know when they were last online so you can have a small idea whether to expect a reply soon or not to messages.

Could be, yes. But in a non-intrusive way. What I mean by non-intrusive is showing smething like "last played; xxx game, 5 minutes ago" and stuff like that, but without displaying too much info as well.. I suspect some people might mot like it that others can see what they are doing all the time :)

PS; do you happen to be online about an hour ago? just checking if my server's data is correct..

Cave Four
10-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes, I was :)

and yes, I can see where trying to be non intrusive would be of most importance, the example you referred to would be sufficient enough, I believe xbox dash offers similar information, and is widely accepted, but you can always take it to a vote.

InvaderGames
10-01-2013, 11:32 PM
v1.0.9 just uploaded;
- After this update, updates can now be turned off
- Added more gfx for buttons/menues/tiles
- Added how many minutes ago the user was online
- Fixed some issues with social fetures
- Recommendations can now be opened
- Removed flip animation
- Slight improovements on flower keyboard (missing chars, cursor, etc)

If I am skipping something important please let me know.. I have the feeling I forgot to include a feature but I am not sure.. :P

timmytot666
10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Force close after loading too many tiles or downloading a large file

Zetaphor
10-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Just downloaded and installed on the latest system update. I immediately get a crash after the main screen appears. Something about get_json, file not found. I can give a more complete error if you need it.

Cool to see that this was made with GameMaker!

InvaderGames
10-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Just downloaded and installed on the latest system update. I immediately get a crash after the main screen appears. Something about get_json, file not found. I can give a more complete error if you need it.

Cool to see that this was made with GameMaker!

Yeah if you could have a complete log or at least a text of the eror it would be great.. usually get_json are parsing errors, maybe because the server send something unexpected or alike.. the only REAL way of knowing where the issue is is with a console log..

( sent it over to contact@invadergames.net ;) )

Edit: I replicated it, it seems ouya has changed something in their servers and doesn allow me to pull the playlists anymore (the store) ¬¬

Edit 2: Okay.. this is a problem. I set up a chached file until I find a proper/real solution. It seems they added auth to the store files wich I used to retrieve the trending games, playlists and all, so now I cant access them.. (open!? bleh!)

Without this file updated we wont be able to see the new additions to the store, like new featured games or just-added ones.. this is a big issue! I can get on the default launcher and update it manually once every a while, but that sucks, and if I am away for a few days you guys may miss some good stuff on the store :(

I will try to either replicate OUYA's auth or find a way around it tonight, at worst I may have to re-think the way I gather the games from OUYA's servers.. and an update for that may take a while.

dra6onfire
10-02-2013, 02:26 AM
what are you using to grab the data? For my app I use the json data from here:

https://devs.ouya.tv/api/v1/apps ---> all current games in order of ouya rank with some details

https://devs.ouya.tv/api/v1/apps/<games version from the main list> ---> detailed info for the game version specified

Neither of these use auth but they do lag on occasion.

And I think you missed my question about blurryness

InvaderGames
10-02-2013, 02:36 AM
what are you using to grab the data? For my app I use the json data from here:

https://devs.ouya.tv/api/v1/apps ---> all current games in order of ouya rank with some details

https://devs.ouya.tv/api/v1/apps/<games version from the main list> ---> detailed info for the game version specified

Neither of these use auth but they do lag on occasion.

I was using
https://devs.ouya.tv/api/v1/playlists

wich had no auth.. until now XD, the difference between /playlists and /apps is that playlists had it all sorted by playlists already, and it is the one the default launcher is currently using. But I may have to switch to /apps and ditch playlists if I cant get it solved...

Love the launcher but it is blurry like a low res image upscaled. What resolution is this in?

Its in 960x540, 1080p is impossible due to poor performance (this is does not uses layouts, it uses a GL Canvas)

Nevets
10-02-2013, 03:01 AM
No offense to Ouya's launcher but this is actually quite amazing. It looks more neat and presentable. Great job on this.

Zetaphor
10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Yeah if you could have a complete log or at least a text of the eror it would be great.. usually get_json are parsing errors, maybe because the server send something unexpected or alike.. the only REAL way of knowing where the issue is is with a console log..

( sent it over to contact@invadergames.net ;) )

Edit: I replicated it, it seems ouya has changed something in their servers and doesn allow me to pull the playlists anymore (the store) ¬¬

Edit 2: Okay.. this is a problem. I set up a chached file until I find a proper/real solution. It seems they added auth to the store files wich I used to retrieve the trending games, playlists and all, so now I cant access them.. (open!? bleh!)

Without this file updated we wont be able to see the new additions to the store, like new featured games or just-added ones.. this is a big issue! I can get on the default launcher and update it manually once every a while, but that sucks, and if I am away for a few days you guys may miss some good stuff on the store :(

I will try to either replicate OUYA's auth or find a way around it tonight, at worst I may have to re-think the way I gather the games from OUYA's servers.. and an update for that may take a while.

Great to see you're on top of this! Thanks for the quick update!
Still want me to send a log? If yes, is there a way to grab the output without simply taking a picture of my TV?

kaiser0avm
10-02-2013, 11:49 PM
I have tested the launcher its fantastic the add of the flower keyboard pure genius indeed and i detected a bug on the social section of the launcher when you focus on the add friend button and then get back to the menu part to select another menu you cant do it unless you press the red o button to get back and continue navigating through the menu bar, i dunno if this is how the social part should work but just reporting in case is a bug =)

Cave Four
10-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Gets better every time, still would like you to add support for tiles in the games section that are not from the OUYA store.

If anyone would like to add or re-add me my new ID is CaveFour

spinal
10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I couldn't find the underscore character on the flower keyboard (_).
Quick question, how are games and apps separated? My game shows in the apps list :( (Don't Flip Out)

derty
10-03-2013, 08:29 PM
So does this launcher load automatically upon OUYA start up?
If not I'm sure u can get BOOT and use this app to load up everytime u start the system up :3

Cave Four
10-03-2013, 08:47 PM
I couldn't find the underscore character on the flower keyboard (_).
Quick question, how are games and apps separated? My game shows in the apps list :( (Don't Flip Out)

Apps - <category android:name="tv.ouya.intent.category.APP"/>

Games - <category android:name="tv.ouya.intent.category.GAME"/>

InvaderGames
10-04-2013, 12:45 AM
@kaiser0avm; I think I know what you mean.. I should do it so you can press dpad-right and select the nearest tile or menu item, yeah ;)

@spinal; I think the underscore is on the simbols mode (press right thumbstick), cant really check since im not at home, but I am SURE I added it somewhere because it wasnt on the very first release that contained the flower keyboard, and I needed it..

Apps - <category android:name="tv.ouya.intent.category.APP"/>

Games - <category android:name="tv.ouya.intent.category.GAME"/>

Next big addition will be the ability to change the tiles from one list to the other, and maybe even create a 'pin' list, so you will be able to sort out tiles that have wrong intents, but this will be when I get home and get to fix all issues with social (I think there were still one or two)

So does this launcher load automatically upon OUYA start up?
If not I'm sure u can get BOOT and use this app to load up everytime u start the system up :3

Not with AutoPilot (BOOT), I highly recommend against that. Just set it as your default launcher in the settings page and you should be ok with that, tested it like 1000 times :3

CadmiumRED
10-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Just downloaded this custom launcher.. and wow. I'm in love.

InvaderGames
10-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Uploading v1.0.10 now;
- Re engineered the store (internally!)
--- Now games are gathered from /apps and rearranged in my own server to fit the needs of the launcher
--- Games in the "front" are taken from FEATURED, I also included a few personal choices wich I will change over time, depending on whatever is 'hot' and not listed in the FEATURED list, worth showing on the front (suggestions totally accepeted)
--- Slightly faster download/read for all of the games data
- Added cursor to the keyboard (use the dpad)
- Missing icons for apps will show android default icon (experimental feature)
- KEYSTORE CHANGED! automatic installation may fail for this reason!! I recomend uninstalling -> sideloading new .apk

About the keystore.. Previous one I was using was not the correct one to use, I fixed it but it may not allow you to auto update the app :(
To fix this; Uninstall the launcher, then sideload the 1.0.10 .apk

You will have to do this anyway ONCE to be able to use any future updatesl!!

(sorry for the inconvenience!)

magister
10-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Any chance of MCE remote support? Works in all launchers I have tried except for ouya and custom.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

InvaderGames
10-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Any chance of MCE remote support? Works in all launchers I have tried except for ouya and custom.

Ummm.. I have no idea what MCE is.. is it this; https://www.google.com/search?q=mce+remote ?

Edit: I do not know what that uses, but i guess it usess android default buttons/keyboard. The reason it may not work is because OUYA's and mine uses bluetooth gamepads instead of hardware buttons or keyboard (XBMC uses both). I THOUGHT my launcher worked with keyboard keypresses like back, enter and arrows but I honestly havent tested.

derty
10-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Is there anyway u can allow me to use my wireless keyboard to type messages?
The current way to type messages to friends is a little confusing and would b much easier for me to use my keyboard :)

magister
10-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Ummm.. I have no idea what MCE is.. is it this; https://www.google.com/search?q=mce+remote ?

Edit: I do not know what that uses, but i guess it usess android default buttons/keyboard. The reason it may not work is because OUYA's and mine uses bluetooth gamepads instead of hardware buttons or keyboard (XBMC uses both). I THOUGHT my launcher worked with keyboard keypresses like back, enter and arrows but I honestly havent tested.

I do not think enter works (the OK button on the remote is enter I believe). I'll have to test a keyboard out.

Edit : tried with keyboard. Does not recognize enter. Arrows work. I don't think backspace works.

I only ask because I use my ouyas mostly for xbmc. They boot right into it. But I use the launcher, obviously, and it is nice to use only one remote. Your launcher is more polished than baxy right now.

InvaderGames
10-09-2013, 02:12 AM
This is the keyboard mapping I am using right now, for keyboard, wich is what I use when I test in Windows:

Q = L1
W = R1
A = L2
S = R2
Arrow = dpad
Enter = O
Backspace = A
Shift = U
Control = Y

Now, weter theese work on android using keyboards or MCE.. thats a whole different thing, I doubt it, but I am pretty sure backspace and arrows do work becase those are mapped by android to hardware events.

Is there anyway u can allow me to use my wireless keyboard to type messages?
The current way to type messages to friends is a little confusing and would b much easier for me to use my keyboard :)

I could make it optional to show an input box instead of the flower keyboard (thats the way it was before), trough it looks incredly awful! expect it for next update ;)

Papi
10-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Where can I find the link for 1.0.10 apk if I want to sideload

InvaderGames
10-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Where can I find the link for 1.0.10 apk if I want to sideload

First post link will always point to the latest version uploaded;

http://invadergames.net/ccount/click.php?id=26

Papi
10-09-2013, 02:58 AM
First post link will always point to the latest version uploaded;

http://invadergames.net/ccount/click.php?id=26

Thanks.

Store > Trending seems to crash the launcher for me

InvaderGames
10-09-2013, 03:31 AM
Thanks.

Store > Trending seems to crash the launcher for me

Woops, fixed now.. same version same link in case you want to fix it :)

Now I think about it, I could make a 'force update' button somewhere, in cases like this when I dont do a full update... maybe

Jake53
10-10-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm getting an error after the update downloaded saying an existing app with a conflicting signature is already installed.

dra6onfire
10-10-2013, 01:52 AM
About the keystore.. Previous one I was using was not the correct one to use, I fixed it but it may not allow you to auto update the app
To fix this; Uninstall the launcher, then sideload the 1.0.10 .apk

You will have to do this anyway ONCE to be able to use any future updatesl!!

(sorry for the inconvenience!)

You have to uninstall and install the latest version because his signing key changed

Jake53
10-10-2013, 01:58 AM
You have to uninstall and install the latest version because his signing key changed

That's what I figured, so that's what I did and it worked.

CadmiumRED
10-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Is the newest version updated on the first page?

InvaderGames
10-10-2013, 03:14 AM
Is the newest version updated on the first page?

Yep! Always the latest version, always the same link :)

CadmiumRED
10-10-2013, 03:27 AM
Oh something I forgot to ask as well, for the custom wallpapers for this launcher, how do we go about putting in our own if we designed any?

InvaderGames
10-10-2013, 04:00 AM
Oh something I forgot to ask as well, for the custom wallpapers for this launcher, how do we go about putting in our own if we designed any?

Copy the ones you want to include into the OUYA memory, you will see a folder named 'CustomOUYALauncher', place them in there. They must be .png and, preferrably either 1920x1080 or 960540 in size (for better loading times, less memory used, different sizes may work but may not look alright)

CadmiumRED
10-10-2013, 05:11 AM
Also should the resolution (dpi) on the wallpapers be 72? Sorry if I hammered you with too many questions! :nevreness:

InvaderGames
10-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Also should the resolution (dpi) on the wallpapers be 72? Sorry if I hammered you with too many questions! :nevreness:

I wouldnt know! I just work with the pixels.. so I suposse any dpi would be fine, as long as the pixels stay around those values I mentioned before.

(Its good if you guys ask, so others can read this too!!)

Papi
10-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Is there a way of getting the resolution to 1080p? BAXY launcher does 1080p natively.

InvaderGames
10-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Is there a way of getting the resolution to 1080p? BAXY launcher does 1080p natively.

I don't do it because it creashes every minute.. The OUYA doesnt like rendering 1080p surfaces, Tegra 3 was not designed for such resolutions.. And BAXY does not use surfaces, it uses layouts, (like the default launcher) wich are much faster since they dont have to store a huge texture on memory and render it every frame.. the problem with layouts is that making complex animations is too hard and impossible at times ;)

fuzzy88
10-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Amazing! Keep up the good work. I noticed it shows a 24hr clock Can this be changed to 12hr? Main system shows 12

Jacob Danell
10-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Wonderful launcher! So sad it's not in 1080p :sorrow:

InvaderGames
10-16-2013, 12:31 PM
v1.0.11 is up!;
- Added Swedish translations, fixed and updated a bit on each other
- Added temporary support for videos, until I get it *right*
- EXPERIMENTAL; rearange tiles between GAMES and APPS
- Fixed a serious bug in the search

The videos are being displayed as links/intent, so if you have a video player app like VLC or MX Player installed, view them right in there. If you have Vimeo, thats even better!, but try to not open them in the default browser because it *sucks*, a lot
This is a temporary measure until I get the emedded player working right, I have very little experience working with videos overall, and it is just too darn unstable on its current state, hopefully im not depriving anyone from access the cool features the OUYA team is adding :)

Jacob Danell
10-16-2013, 06:42 PM
I know you said that 1080p craches for you and that tegra3 wasn't made for 1080p, but do you think you will try to get it into a higher resolution later?
I don't know much about making launchers and nether question your codingskills but just think it's weird when the games can run at 1080p also.

InvaderGames
10-16-2013, 11:28 PM
I know you said that 1080p craches for you and that tegra3 wasn't made for 1080p, but do you think you will try to get it into a higher resolution later?
I don't know much about making launchers and nether question your codingskills but just think it's weird when the games can run at 1080p also.

I tried, and the resolution I am using was the best performance/look relation I was able to get.

Just to point out; most OUYA games do not run at 1080p, most of them do the same thing I am doing right now; get a lower resolution, then let Android do the scale-up.. I cant think of any game that actually renders 1080p right now on the OUYA and actually performs well..

CadmiumRED
10-17-2013, 03:15 AM
This might be a bug to look into maybe fixing, but when I tried to download RetroArch Libretro from the OUYA Store, my internet connection kinda dipped out.. so I deleted the download from my Downloads thing. I restarted the system, and after my internet connection was re-established, it kept saying it was downloading the app at the top of the screen but it wouldn't do anything; I had to switch to the original OUYA menu to download it from the Store, and upon returning to the custom launcher, it still says that on the top of the screen. I may have to delete this and re-install it.

ddycheeks
10-17-2013, 06:56 AM
I didn't read through all 16 pages so maybe someone already said it but it would be cool to move apps between the areas ie side loaded Netflix moved to the apps area

Jacob Danell
10-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Hmmm... true when you say about it (and I went a little bit closer to the TV). What made me think the games ran at 1080p and your launcher at lower is because the launcher on my tv is a bit blury while the games are just more pixelish

InvaderGames
10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
This might be a bug to look into maybe fixing, but when I tried to download RetroArch Libretro from the OUYA Store, my internet connection kinda dipped out.. so I deleted the download from my Downloads thing. I restarted the system, and after my internet connection was re-established, it kept saying it was downloading the app at the top of the screen but it wouldn't do anything; I had to switch to the original OUYA menu to download it from the Store, and upon returning to the custom launcher, it still says that on the top of the screen. I may have to delete this and re-install it.

You should have let the Android downloader finish normally.. I wasnt really counting on that as you can see. I will look into a fix or it (it is one of those unlikely things that may happen 1/500 but you never thought of)

I didn't read through all 16 pages so maybe someone already said it but it would be cool to move apps between the areas ie side loaded Netflix moved to the apps area

That feature was added on the very last update, and yeah I agree, didnt do it to keep it simpler for the moment, as it requires a prompt or something like that to allow the user to choose where he want to move the tile to

Tycho-y
10-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Hello,

could someone please tell me which activity i need for starting the launcher via adb?

Its already installed but i have probs figuring out the right activity.

thx,

Tycho

InvaderGames
10-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Hello,

could someone please tell me which activity i need for starting the launcher via adb?
the package name is "com.invadergames.customouyalauncher" and the activity is "RunnerActivity";

# am start -n com.invadergames.customouyalauncher/.RunnerActivity

Once started you can just set it as default launcher from within the app settings

Hmmm... true when you say about it (and I went a little bit closer to the TV). What made me think the games ran at 1080p and your launcher at lower is because the launcher on my tv is a bit blury while the games are just more pixelish

This actually gave me an idea wich I am working on right now, instead of scaling the screen like I am doing right now for overscan fix, I will just move the objects around to fit inside the TV area, this will make everything look 'sharper' with no blurry bloddy scaling ;)

The cons; It will not be a perfect overscan fix like before, and if your TV needs a LOT of compensation stuff may not fit in (by a lot I mean like.. 15% or 20% of scaling, most TVs dont usually need more than 10%)

Jacob Danell
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
This actually gave me an idea wich I am working on right now, instead of scaling the screen like I am doing right now for overscan fix, I will just move the objects around to fit inside the TV area, this will make everything look 'sharper' with no blurry bloddy scaling ;)

The cons; It will not be a perfect overscan fix like before, and if your TV needs a LOT of compensation stuff may not fit in (by a lot I mean like.. 15% or 20% of scaling, most TVs dont usually need more than 10%)

Sounds AWESOME! :D Good luck with it! For me it's only the sharpness that is missing from this one, if it's fixed this launcher is waaaay better than the original one!

The only one thing would be if the launcher would cache the images from the non-installed games so the images only need to be loaded ones and after that they will always be there :)

Second thing that might be a fix only is that some games I went into had a very long text-description and I couldn't read all. Maybe make it scrollable or auto-scrolling the text :) Just a small thing.

InvaderGames
10-17-2013, 10:46 PM
The only one thing would be if the launcher would cache the images from the non-installed games so the images only need to be loaded ones and after that they will always be there :)

It does a cache when you first run it or browse the store.. since there are over 400 games currently that woulb de a lot to download, not to mention you probably wont download all of the games in the store, or that the developers may change the picture at any point.
I find it more convenient to only cache once the images you ARE going to use, less space on your memory, and you only have to wait for them to load once, or when the picture changes :)

Second thing that might be a fix only is that some games I went into had a very long text-description and I couldn't read all. Maybe make it scrollable or auto-scrolling the text :) Just a small thing.

Definately, yes :D

Jake53
10-19-2013, 06:56 PM
This keeps downloading over and over again (build 12). Is there a fix?

InvaderGames
10-22-2013, 12:20 PM
v1.0.12 (release 13) is up;
- Added Esperanto and German translations
- Added an option to filter sandbox games
- Fixed overscan blurriness, now instead of scaling objects are moved
- Made games info descriptions text scrollable
- Made all options and tiles 'flatter' so they fit better together and with custom wallpapers
- Last used time in games section now shows bigger (can be disabled)

This update also brings some interesting staility and smoothness improovements, If you get to compare before and after you will notice right away :D

Next on the list there is Downloads manager for queuing downloads and whatever else you guys may think of, im running out of ideas!

Jacob Danell
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
One thing that would make the whole ouya experience much better would be if your flower-keyboard could appear on the rest of the ouya. Totaly LOVE it and doesn't understand why ouya doesn't have it themself! Understand that the flower has to be much smaller for it to fit the keyboard-space but I would still want to have it much more than the original keyboard.

Edit: One more thing that would be nice. To be able to uninstall sideloaded apps directly from the launcher :)

InvaderGames
10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
One thing that would make the whole ouya experience much better would be if your flower-keyboard could appear on the rest of the ouya. Totaly LOVE it and doesn't understand why ouya doesn't have it themself! Understand that the flower has to be much smaller for it to fit the keyboard-space but I would still want to have it much more than the original keyboard.

haha, maybe because it is too much like Steam's Daisywheel (http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/).. I wonder if they have it copyrighted..

Jacob Danell
10-22-2013, 02:36 PM
haha, maybe because it is too much like Steam's Daisywheel (http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/).. I wonder if they have it copyrighted..

Hm... Maybe... Just sent a quick question to steam about it. Else you can always make it a little bit different and it will be ok :) Just think about all the different keyboard that is created for Android that almost look the same :)

spinal
10-22-2013, 08:14 PM
I can't see any legal issues with copying a keyboard layout, I would love ouya to add this style keyboard, it's probably the easiest onscreen keyboard I have ever typed with.

Jacob Danell
10-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I can't see any legal issues with copying a keyboard layout, I would love ouya to add this style keyboard, it's probably the easiest onscreen keyboard I have ever typed with.

True true

masvil
10-22-2013, 10:45 PM
If you want to see the launcher translated to your launguage, add me on G+
Done. I'm ready for italian translation.

InvaderGames
10-23-2013, 02:43 AM

Yeah, I dont think it is an issue neither (thats why I added into the launcher without thinking much about it).

It would be amazing if OUYA or someone could make a keyboard input like that for Android. Keyboards can be installed as any other .apk, so it should work not only for OUYA but on any other android device. I unfortunately lack the knowledge to make a keyboard input app..

Toxιc
10-23-2013, 05:41 AM
I have a few questions. How exactly do I install this? I have a USB stick that I use to install Android games in MAKE. Should I install this the same way as those games? I also see that it stays on top of the OUYA launcher. Does that mean that I would run two launchers at once? Will that create lag when playing games or doing other heavy tasks, such as streaming HD videos?

InvaderGames
10-23-2013, 06:06 AM
I have a few questions. How exactly do I install this? I have a USB stick that I use to install Android games in MAKE. Should I install this the same way as those games? I also see that it stays on top of the OUYA launcher. Does that mean that I would run two launchers at once? Will that create lag when playing games or doing other heavy tasks, such as streaming HD videos?

Yep, it is installed the same way, as any other android apk.

About the two launchers; no, only one can be running, and no, no lag will be created during the execution of other apps; when the laucner goes to the background it pauses until you get back in it. Just like any other launcher app (think Nova, BAXY, even old ones like Go Launcher EX, they all behave the same)

Toxιc
10-23-2013, 06:11 AM
Yep, it is installed the same way, as any other android apk.

About the two launchers; no, only one can be running, and no, no lag will be created during the execution of other apps; when the laucner goes to the background it pauses until you get back in it. Just like any other launcher app (think Nova, BAXY, even old ones like Go Launcher EX, they all behave the same)

Understood. I appreciate the fast reply. I'm sold with this launcher; the OUYA launcher isn't very pretty.

Papi
10-24-2013, 09:22 AM
How about being able to zoom in on text boxes. I sit about 9-10ft away from the TV and any small text either from the game info to the social chat box is unreadable. It would be nice if you could select the text box it would enlarge the text somewhat like how ouya does it with game description in the ouya launcher

masvil
10-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Italian translation is done, it will be out with next release.

InvaderGames
10-24-2013, 01:24 PM
How about being able to zoom in on text boxes. I sit about 9-10ft away from the TV and any small text either from the game info to the social chat box is unreadable. It would be nice if you could select the text box it would enlarge the text somewhat like how ouya does it with game description in the ouya launcher

hmm.. this is a pretty tricky one, but I can see the need for it. I will definately look into it, at least for the descriptions at first

Jacob Danell
10-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Idk if it's possible but if you could move the sideloaded games/apps into games or apps that would be awesome!

offroad
10-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Am considering this as the launcher for my XBMC-OUYA box. Instead of using an auto launcher.

Mainly need more flexibility of controlling the OUYA with a remote control (like some XBMC remote with USB sensor).

Need to be able to select and launch apps in the launcher so will need to test.

magister
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Am considering this as the launcher for my XBMC-OUYA box. Instead of using an auto launcher.

Mainly need more flexibility of controlling the OUYA with a remote control (like some XBMC remote with USB sensor).

Need to be able to select and launch apps in the launcher so will need to test.

Last time I checked, they did not work.

InvaderGames
10-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Last time I checked, they did not work.

Im am not an XBMC user, so I really have no idea how remote works there.. and I have no way to test it neither so dont expect that to be added on porpouse :/

Edit: Now uploading 1.0.13, it is a pretty big update besides what is on the changelog, lots of tiny additions here and there, fixes and other stuff:
- Added option to dim screen
- Changed ABOUT a liiittle bit *wink*
- Downloads manager added
- Games or apps with no ouya icon now use the default android icon

CadmiumRED
11-01-2013, 04:42 AM
Do you think there's any way that we can have more wallpapers and/or color themes in a new version? Good work as always!

InvaderGames
11-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Do you think there's any way that we can have more wallpapers and/or color themes in a new version? Good work as always!

Sure!, I add the ones I personally feel like adding, like, on .12 I added a dark-blue wallapaper wich idk if anone noticed but looks pretty slick :), But if you have any color scheme you want to have built -in or any color gradient/theme in mind just say it and I can add it :)

CadmiumRED
11-01-2013, 06:05 AM
As a graphic design professor once told me, less is more. Keeping simple color wallpapers is always good, and same for the menu items. Maybe tinker some with complementary colors between the wallpaper and foreground menu item boxes, and you'll surely have some good ideas.

InvaderGames
11-01-2013, 06:48 AM
As a graphic design professor once told me, less is more. Keeping simple color wallpapers is always good, and same for the menu items. Maybe tinker some with complementary colors between the wallpaper and foreground menu item boxes, and you'll surely have some good ideas.

yeah that is pretty much the reason I added two contrasting text themes; to addapt to different wallpapers, whatever color they are :)

I will probably add some more colors to the highlights, so you can have more color options if you like

offroad
11-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Can I have this launcher accept keyboard keys to simulate all of the O U Y and A buttons on the controller? Can I map the ctrl A keyboard button on a connected USB keyboard, to mean the controller A button on the original OUYA controller?

Also would be nice to have a FULL REBOOT built into the launcher. That is handy at most times. All the other tools are terrific, most importantly because NO ROOT needed for this CUSTOM OUYA LAUNCHER (thats no root, cant believe it but true) and it works so nice.

CadmiumRED
11-01-2013, 11:21 PM
I also tested the app OnAir Player with the Custom Launcher, and it works perfectly. Gotta love it.

offroad
11-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Am liking this even though I don't use it. Mostly because I can select other LAUNCHER to launch. In my case the XBMC-OUYA launcher.

Just like that the tools built into this are so easy.

chesamo
11-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey, I just updated to release 14 today and my About page still says I'm using v12 (also I'm stuck in an update loop). Just figured I'd let you know.

Jake53
11-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Hey, I just updated to release 14 today and my About page still says I'm using v12 (also I'm stuck in an update loop). Just figured I'd let you know.

Also stuck in update loop... On both of my ouya consoles.

Tycho-y
11-03-2013, 10:08 AM
EDIT: Not needed anymore, i did find a different solution.

Hi,

right after start of the launcher i get the error

Error in
Action Number 1
of Web event HTTP
for object social_obj.

After this the launcher restarts.

My guess would be that its not able to login to the ouya server cause i didnt accept the new TOS. Could you, instead of restarting just skip the auth with the ouya server? That would enable me to at least use my apps.

cheers,

Tycho

offroad
11-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Also stuck in update loop... On both of my ouya consoles.

Can you uninstall and just go back to the original OUYA launcher software? I turned off all updates (think I did) to prevent any changes from happening.

chesamo
11-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Just a quick update: The update loop has been broken and I'm updated to 1.0.13 properly.

A suggestion: Instead of saying "downloading Release 14" (for example), use the full version string. I realize that R14 == 1.0.13 (because R1 == 1.0.0), but not everyone will.

InvaderGames
11-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Just a quick update: The update loop has been broken and I'm updated to 1.0.13 properly.
I just got back to my PC and I will look into it ASAP, I have properly tested this as it happened before but maybe it slipped in :(

Ill keep you guys posted, and will probably update today to something like 1.0.13r2 or alikes..

A suggestion: Instead of saying "downloading Release 14" (for example), use the full version string. I realize that R14 == 1.0.13 (because R1 == 1.0.0), but not everyone will.
Actually no! :D
This happened when I updated 1.0.5 to 1.0.5r2, thus having to increase the release number in order to force the update, as I will probably have to do it again now..

TROUGH, I will add the name to the update, so people dont get confuzzled, yeah

Jake53
11-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Can you uninstall and just go back to the original OUYA launcher software? I turned off all updates (think I did) to prevent any changes from happening.

I turn off updates after it starts downloading the update which temporarily fixes the issue. I tried uninstalling and clearing cashe and this was the only thing that worked.

InvaderGames
11-04-2013, 07:29 AM
I cannot get into an updates loop.. I tried installing fresh pretty much all the latest apk's and noone of them got me in a loop after installing the release 14 update.. everything looks good.. :/

Edit: you say your version stays in 1.0.12, so I suposse you cannot see any new features? (The downloads manager is quite prominent in the settings section and the ABOUT section was changed as well)
If you cant it means the update is not being installed for some reason.. wich I cannot think of any..

Edit2: Are you guys y any chance participating in the external storage beta..?

Jake53
11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Edit2: Are you guys y any chance participating in the external storage beta..?

I am now since like Saturday, but this problem has been relevant for like 2 weeks... And I haven't turned updates on since participating.

derty
11-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey I'm having trouble updating, I guess, it's (version 14)?
The launcher is trying to update through the launcher and not through OUYA.
It keeps saying that the error is that I hav a similar app that won't allow it to update or something.

Anyway I want to update but since it kept messing up and auto updating I finally had to turn off the auto update in the custom launcher settings :(

Any tips?

InvaderGames
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
I am now since like Saturday, but this problem has been relevant for like 2 weeks... And I haven't turned updates on since participating.

Hey I'm having trouble updating, I guess, it's (version 14)?
The launcher is trying to update through the launcher and not through OUYA.
It keeps saying that the error is that I hav a similar app that won't allow it to update or something.

Anyway I want to update but since it kept messing up and auto updating I finally had to turn off the auto update in the custom launcher settings :(

Any tips?

Since I can not replicate it I can only suggest to uninstall and manually install the latest version (sideload again :( )

I dont know for what reason it may not be allowing you guys to install the new version.. it works perfectly on my end.. :/

derty
11-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Since I can not replicate it I can only suggest to uninstall and manually install the latest version (sideload again :( )

I dont know for what reason it may not be allowing you guys to install the new version.. it works perfectly on my end.. :/

Haha seems like a perfect idea :)
Also I'm loving the new skin choices ;)

Eldon.McGuinness
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Gonna give this a go today, I can't wait for the pinned apps option, that will just be the bee's knees and something that the default menu is sorely lacking.

Very nice look, but a bit confusing for my son over the old one so ill have to revert back. Perhaps when the pinned bit gets in there it will be a bit easier.

Cheers

InvaderGames
11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
right after start of the launcher i get the error

//snip//

After this the launcher restarts.

My guess would be that its not able to login to the ouya server cause i didnt accept the new TOS. Could you, instead of restarting just skip the auth with the ouya server? That would enable me to at least use my apps.

Fixed this today, it will be in for next update (as you suspected, if you disagree the TOS you are logged off your account, thus my launcher cant read the username.. wich is not good)

Gonna give this a go today, I can't wait for the pinned apps option, that will just be the bee's knees and something that the default menu is sorely lacking.

Oh that is coming, cant say when because I havent even started planning it, but so far it looks like it is the next thing to be added ;)

Any suggestions/bugs/whatever just drop them here!

offroad
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Suggestion. A full reboot as a menu item.

Papi
11-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Bug - when Social is selected by pressing UP on the dpad, all controls are disabled except for back. Only way to select the Social tab is by pressing X.

InvaderGames
11-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Suggestion. A full reboot as a menu item.

Requires root! and there is no way around that unless the launcher is signed as a system app.. :(

Currently full reboot and games updates are the only two things that I just cant do because they require root access.

CadmiumRED
11-04-2013, 09:53 PM
This might be an idea, but do you think that there's a possibility users here can make wallpapers and then you can upload them into the next update or so? Like have a mini-server dedicated to storing some custom designs of the menu interface (like say a user has a "set" with a certain color scheme involved, and that color scheme/set is named after that user, and if another user wants to, they can use that set and all the buttons and wallpaper background will all change at one time). There are a few forums that have this kind of ability, like another I frequent called limpbizkit.org; they recently implemented this style interchangeability feature to all the banners/background/buttons. It's pretty awesome.

derty
11-07-2013, 04:52 AM
3 questions:
1. I'm running version 1.0.13, is this the latest version?
2. At the top right corner is the time and date, how do I switch the time from military to regular?
3. Has the wireless keyboard been implemented for easier typing of messages? You know instead of using daisy wheel :)

offroad
11-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Really hope OUYA incorporates all your improvements into their launcher some day. Apple did with ios7 from the jailbreak community.

Candy Cab
11-08-2013, 03:16 AM
After using this for a bit I never want to go back to the factory launcher. Great work ! Thanks :encouragement:

CadmiumRED
11-08-2013, 03:36 AM
After using this for a bit I never want to go back to the factory launcher. Great work ! Thanks :encouragement:

100% agreed.

InvaderGames
11-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Sorry was off for a while;

3 questions:
1. I'm running version 1.0.13, is this the latest version?
2. At the top right corner is the time and date, how do I switch the time from military to regular?
3. Has the wireless keyboard been implemented for easier typing of messages? You know instead of using daisy wheel :)

1. Yep, new updates will be downloaded automatically, in case they dont get installed you will at least know if there is a new one right in the launcher (I also post here the release notes on every update) :)
2. Isnt military 0400, 1800 and so? maybe you mean 12hr/24hs clock? (if so, it can be added as a setting, no problem)
3. No! I completely forgot to re-add legacy input methods, ill do it for .14 as this was requested a couple times already

This might be an idea, but do you think that there's a possibility users here can make wallpapers and then you can upload them into the next update or so? Like have a mini-server dedicated to storing some custom designs of the menu interface (like say a user has a "set" with a certain color scheme involved, and that color scheme/set is named after that user, and if another user wants to, they can use that set and all the buttons and wallpaper background will all change at one time). There are a few forums that have this kind of ability, like another I frequent called limpbizkit.org; they recently implemented this style interchangeability feature to all the banners/background/buttons. It's pretty awesome.

hmm like a way of submitting the whole thing, like a pulic repo of themes? (wallpaper+theme+highlights?) ..I see it pretty difficult to be done.. for the time being I don't see it as something needed or that many people will use enough to take the iniciative and actually do it. But I am definately open to take custom wallpapers to be added into the launcher, if you or anyone made some, just send them over :)

derty
11-08-2013, 05:49 PM
1. Yep, new updates will be downloaded automatically, in case they dont get installed you will at least know if there is a new one right in the launcher (I also post here the release notes on every update) :)
2. Isnt military 0400, 1800 and so? maybe you mean 12hr/24hs clock? (if so, it can be added as a setting, no problem)
3. No! I completely forgot to re-add legacy input methods, ill do it for .14 as this was requested a couple times already

Thanx for answering my questions :D
And ya military time is 24hr clock haha is rather hav 12hr if that's possible and thanx for the upcoming keyboard update :D honestly can't wait for that so I'm able to message my buddies a lot easier.

InvaderGames
11-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanx for answering my questions :D
And ya military time is 24hr clock haha is rather hav 12hr if that's possible and thanx for the upcoming keyboard update :D honestly can't wait for that so I'm able to message my buddies a lot easier.

Any other date/time formats I shoud account for? it was suggested before by some people that lived on other countries where the date was usually written differently, but I cant remember..

Just triying to narrow it down to the formats people actually use

ektoutie
11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
As far as 12/24 hour clock goes, I thought I'd point out that the 24-hour time format does not use AM/PM.

Common date formats I can think of:

YYYY/MM/DD (ISO)
DD/MM/YYYY (European)
MM/DD/YYYY (American)

When going into long date formats with day/month names, there's plenty of options and it only gets worse once you go across multiple languages. Might it be worth having a translatable string for this, so each language can have its own format? %WEEKDAY%, %DAY%, %MONTH%, %MONTHNAME%, %YEAR% as variables should be enough to cover most European languages from what I can think of.

Also, a lot of the text in this looks quite blurry on the 1080p TV here - does the app run in 720p internally?

InvaderGames
11-08-2013, 11:11 PM
As far as 12/24 hour clock goes, I thought I'd point out that the 24-hour time format does not use AM/PM.

lol, never noticed.. I guess I am so used to my Windows clock to be like that, that I never realized how redundant that is :P

Common date formats I can think of:

YYYY/MM/DD (ISO)
DD/MM/YYYY (European)
MM/DD/YYYY (American)

When going into long date formats with day/month names, there's plenty of options and it only gets worse once you go across multiple languages. Might it be worth having a translatable string for this, so each language can have its own format? %WEEKDAY%, %DAY%, %MONTH%, %MONTHNAME%, %YEAR% as variables should be enough to cover most European languages from what I can think of.

I was actually thinking of making the text format string moddable so people can just type a new format and change the whole thing whatever way they like, right now the current format look like this:
"H:i A" (for the time: 20:11 PM)
"l F j" (for the date: Friday November 8)

This actually depends on the parser, but giving hints on the screen about what each character means shouldnt make it difficult for people to change it..

OR I could just go on and make two new settings buttons; one for time, another for date, where you simply change betweeb a set of common formats.

Also, a lot of the text in this looks quite blurry on the 1080p TV here - does the app run in 720p internally?
960x540 actually, 1080p/2 to minimize blurriness as much as possible (pixels scaled 2x up look better than pixels scaled ood numbers like 1.5x, 1.33x, etc)

youmax
11-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Exellent work Manuel
is possible add near of date and time the forecast?

InvaderGames
11-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Exellent work Manuel
is possible add near of date and time the forecast?

Yeah should be doable, the only problem is to get the location, but if the users can input manually the location ID.. ill look into it :)

chibitetsuo
01-03-2014, 01:14 AM
i think you can make a little "pseudo" of player.

for me is : chibitetsuo

for add in ouya social

i add member comunity :) add me thanks :)

Paul Laimal-Convoy
01-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Just downloaded your launcher from the first page. It does not work. Please fix or provide a link to a working version. Thanks!

chibitetsuo
01-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Just downloaded your launcher from the first page. It does not work. Please fix or provide a link to a working version. Thanks!

you have rooted your ouya first?