PDA

View Full Version : How to make the fan always on?

arm206
08-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Is there a way to make the fan always running?
Do anybody knows a soft way, or a suitable +12V output on the motherboard?

Thanks in advice!

DrunkPunk
08-30-2013, 03:52 PM
There's nothing as far as software or a custom ROM yet. Should be possible to go straight from the board to the fan if you are confident in your soldering skills, but I wouldn't chance it if you are not, heh.

arm206
08-30-2013, 04:06 PM
There's nothing as far as software or a custom ROM yet. Should be possible to go straight from the board to the fan if you are confident in your soldering skills, but I wouldn't chance it if you are not, heh.

I have access to soldering equipment sophisticated enough, and I'm bold enough to try it, but I can't identify the solder points on the board. (+12V, only on when the unit is on, and enough power to drive the fan).
Any infos about this?

DrunkPunk
08-30-2013, 04:11 PM
I have access to soldering equipment sophisticated enough, and I'm bold enough to try it, but I can't identify the solder points on the board. (+12V, only on when the unit is on, and enough power to drive the fan).
Any infos about this?

I have no information about which points to use myself. I havn't soldered anything for a long time and I wouldn't dare to try my rusty skills on my Ouya, haha. I'm sure a more handy member will hop in here and help you out soon.

arm206
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
As temporally solution I took a generic npn switching transistor (with a resistor) and using the solder points of the power supply connectors (+12V and GND) on the motherboard and the +5V point of the usb connector I created a simple add-on circuit that switches the fan on when the usb port is getting power.
But I still hope somebody will show up with deeper knowledge about the motherboard.

DrunkPunk
09-03-2013, 04:57 PM
As temporally solution I took a generic npn switching transistor (with a resistor) and using the solder points of the power supply connectors (+12V and GND) on the motherboard and the +5V point of the usb connector I created a simple add-on circuit that switches the fan on when the usb port is getting power.
But I still hope somebody will show up with deeper knowledge about the motherboard.

Nifty solution! You should post some pics in case someone else wants to try something similar. :D

arm206
09-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Here you go...
There is enough room by the led to route the wires, so they are causing no trouble with the casing.
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/130903/ouya_board_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

(The image is on a free host, if this site can host pictures itself, feel free to move it.)

Glaros
08-04-2014, 12:40 AM
Very nice,i needed this mod. Thanks

Could you name a NPN transistor and the resistor value ?
If the 5V are from usb...when the usb port going standby the fan stops ?