PDA

View Full Version : Untitled RPG by Disgruntled Management Studios

Timothy James Mason
08-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey everyone. My team and I are in the process of creating an epic, classic RPG experience. We're drawing inspiration from all the great role playing games of the past to bring the player an awesome, nostalgic experience. Everything is still in the early development stages, but we're excited and hard at work. Our goal isn't to make some little 8 hour game. We're aiming for a full fledged 30-40+ hour game with sidequests, easter eggs, powerful hidden equipment, everything RPG players love. I can't give out too many details right now as many mechanics are still being decided upon, but if you love Final Fantasy or any of the other well known classics then you will definitely want to try this game out once it's finished.

Now...we're well aware of how huge of a task this is. Ultimately our desire is to publish this game all on our own, but creating a game is no easy job...soooooo I've come up with a contingency plan just in case it looks like we've bitten off more than we can chew. If we have to, we will be pitching a 100% complete, high quality script, full musical score and art for this game to other OUYA game developers. Earnings will be discussed and shared, we're not jerks. We just want to put out high quality RPGs.**

We've got a team of semi-professional and amateur writers tackling the script which is coming along nicely, and a couple pieces of music that sound incredible (which I might link to if people are interested). I will keep this thread updated with what's going on with the develop.

**We would be interested in working exclusively with another developer if we can't do this on our own to produce other titles if this first one is a success.

Update: A sample of one of the first pieces of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDHUoa6sNF0&feature=youtu.be
Update2: Yes, videos 2-4 do exist, but I wanted to post this one :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3kVCKH4ftM

GriffinPatterson
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
What are some of your favorite RPGs? What RPGs are you hoping to liken yourselves to?

Timothy James Mason
08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Same of my personal favorites are Final Fantasy 1, 5, 7-10, Tactics, Tales of (just about all of them lol), Star Ocean 1-4 to name a few. We're drawing inspiration from all of those titles, while the music is akin to Nobuo Uematsu who is in my eyes the greatest video game music composer ever.

Music is just as important as the story is. Without great music, the game won't draw you in. That's why we are focusing a lot of attention on creating completely original music that has that old school RPG feel.

Alucard Blades
08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Have you considered using Kickstarter for the game? It sounds great!

GriffinPatterson
08-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Thank you for including Star Ocean. That series is sooooo tender.

Timothy James Mason
08-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Alucard Blades, I have considered it, but this thing really isn't well developed enough yet to venture into Kickstarter. I love kickstarter, but we're just not ready for that yet. I have no idea what we could "promise" people, what we would use that money for, stuff like that. My biggest worry is programming and animation. I personally just don't know enough about how that all works. It's something I would have to talk with my small coding team about. That's also why I have that contingency plan. I'm trying to keep as many doors open as possible to try to guarantee that this game DOES IN FACT come out; no matter what.

And GriffinPatterson, Star Ocean 2 is one of my top 3 favorite games (With Final Fantasy Tactics holding the number 1 spot and FF8 at 3). It's soooooooo good. I was born and raised on RPGs; all starting by watching my grandma play Final Fantasy on NES. Ya, she's badass like that. Anyways, we're drawing inspiration for EVERY awesome rpg out there. I've beaten way too many rpgs in my life. I know what's awesome, I know what's meh, and I know what sucks. I want to include the best parts of as many games as possible.

To list a couple more games that I love are the Arc the Lad collection (Arc the Lad 2 pisses me off sooooo much at some points XD), Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger and Cross, Lost Odyssey, ummm...I'm sure there's a billion more lol

Alucard Blades
08-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Alucard Blades, I have considered it, but this thing really isn't well developed enough yet to venture into Kickstarter. I love kickstarter, but we're just not ready for that yet. I have no idea what we could "promise" people, what we would use that money for, stuff like that. My biggest worry is programming and animation. I personally just don't know enough about how that all works. It's something I would have to talk with my small coding team about. That's also why I have that contingency plan. I'm trying to keep as many doors open as possible to try to guarantee that this game DOES IN FACT come out; no matter what.

And GriffinPatterson, Star Ocean 2 is one of my top 3 favorite games (With Final Fantasy Tactics holding the number 1 spot and FF8 at 3). It's soooooooo good. I was born and raised on RPGs; all starting by watching my grandma play Final Fantasy on NES. Ya, she's badass like that. Anyways, we're drawing inspiration for EVERY awesome rpg out there. I've beaten way too many rpgs in my life. I know what's awesome, I know what's meh, and I know what sucks. I want to include the best parts of as many games as possible.

To list a couple more games that I love are the Arc the Lad collection (Arc the Lad 2 pisses me off sooooo much at some points XD), Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger and Cross, Lost Odyssey, ummm...I'm sure there's a billion more lol

Oh ok, cool. Well glad to have you on the forum. :)

Ah, Super Mario RPG. Now your touching my heartstrings.

Timothy James Mason
08-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Ah, Super Mario RPG. Now your touching my heartstrings.

You see, THIS is why I'm making this game. Get back to the roots of the genre that we fell in love with as kids. Solid gameplay, with a story that makes you want to just get to the next town and save and then you'll stop (but you won't because you said that 5 towns ago) with music that really touches you. As soon as windows movie maker stops being dumb I'll upload the first piece of music so people can get a small taste of the direction we're going.

Timothy James Mason
08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Updated the original post.

Timothy James Mason
08-05-2012, 07:33 AM
We've now got 6 completely original pieces of music for the game, and 3 pieces of concept art that are almost completed. I'll work on getting everything uploaded as quickly as I can.

Edit: I've got them all uploaded, but my composer doesn't feel comfortable releasing them just yet because they aren't copyrighted or anything so I'm keeping them unlisted for now. I'll link to them in the near future.

armyman
08-06-2012, 10:51 PM
I've got them all uploaded, but my composer doesn't feel comfortable releasing them just yet because they aren't copyrighted or anything so I'm keeping them unlisted for now. I'll link to them in the near future.

I'm looking forward to seeing these!! When do you think you will be able to show them to us?

Timothy James Mason
08-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing these!! When do you think you will be able to show them to us?

Soon, hopefully. As I said before, none of this stuff is copyrighted yet so my composer is just a little concerned about his work being taken. I'm not overly concerned about it, but these are his completely original scores so I understand where he is coming from. I'm talking to him right now to see what needs to be done to give his work some protection.

Edit: And here you go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3kVCKH4ftM
I've updated the initial post with the video as well. I'll link the other ones when I get the ok from my composer XD

SamJ
08-28-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm talking to him right now to see what needs to be done to give his work some protection.

I'm interested in what protection you gave him? If any?

Really like the sound of the project (pun intended). Keep us updated, would love to see the concept art as well :)

Timothy James Mason
08-31-2012, 04:09 AM
Some concept art should be done here shortly. My artist was busy working on his thesis so he hasn't had much time to draw lol.

BlairJ
09-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Is any of the concept art available?

benhadtue
07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
anything happening with this game?