PDA

View Full Version : Noctua NF-A4x10 on 23/7 ???

Michael Shields
08-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Is there anyway of having this fan run 24/7 when turned on as all I did was to cut the red and black on both the 2 fans wire them and fit this but would rather have it on as its out its case as still to hot to touch metal case

Thanks for ya help

jimlab7
08-29-2013, 12:43 AM
maybe u can solder the red and back wire to the power and ground part of the usb soldering points thats should keep it going all time

or at least as long as the ouya is on

Manaurys
08-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Do you have a picture of this points

Shaoranmps

jimlab7
08-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Do you have a picture of this points
Shaoranmps

kinda if u look here ( http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3964-DIY-More-USB-ports-for-Ouya ) on the 2nd pic u can see where the red and black wires are soldered to red is the power and black the ground if u solder the red and black wires from the fan to these I'm sure it will work but i cant promise anything

skylargray
09-02-2013, 09:06 PM
maybe u can solder the red and back wire to the power and ground part of the usb soldering points thats should keep it going all time

or at least as long as the ouya is on

I wouldn't recommend this. It may cause high current-consuming USB devices to no longer work properly. A USB 2.0 bus can only supply 500mA. If the fan is also connected to this power source, USB devices may not be able to draw enough power.

A better spot would be at the DC input jack.

http://i.imgur.com/bVumtjG.jpg

mmattys30
09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't recommend this. It may cause high current-consuming USB devices to no longer work properly. A USB 2.0 bus can only supply 500mA. If the fan is also connected to this power source, USB devices may not be able to draw enough power.

Yes this worked and runs so much cooler now tanks

as I have four ouya's for xbmc around the house this is a well worth mod to do if you have a noctua fan

Manaurys
09-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Thank you

Shaoranmps

jimlab7
09-06-2013, 10:49 PM
this does work but only bad thing is that when it plug it in the fan runs even with the ouya off is there any ways to make it where it on turns on when i turn the ouya on?

skylargray
09-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't think there is a spot on the board that will provide constant +12V only when the OUYA is on.
Your best bet is a latching pushbutton switch or a normal toggle switch.

I've been thinking about this a little bit. I think I finally have a good use for the reset button on my mininess case.

It will be a latching DPDT switch which connects to the fan and switches between always on (connected as the above example) and auto (connected to original fan header).

Really, the fan setting should be available in the software...yet another short-coming of the platform.

jimlab7
09-07-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't think there is a spot on the board that will provide constant +12V only when the OUYA is on.
Your best bet is a latching pushbutton switch or a normal toggle switch.

I've been thinking about this a little bit. I think I finally have a good use for the reset button on my mininess case.

It will be a latching DPDT switch which connects to the fan and switches between always on (connected as the above example) and auto (connected to original fan header).Really, the fan setting should be available in the software...yet another short-coming of the platform.

this sounds like a good idea when u come up with how to hook this up i would like to know how and what u used
good thing i bought 2 button switches anyways xD

skylargray
09-08-2013, 05:04 AM
You know...what would actually work better would be a relay that switches with 3V DC input. This would need a basic protection circuit.

mmattys30
09-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Yes I like the sound of this as my fan is on 24/7 even when powered off but I don't mind as how hot these run is not good for there longevity

jimlab7
09-13-2013, 04:54 AM
You know...what would actually work better would be a relay that switches with 3V DC input. This would need a basic protection circuit.

Sounds good when you get it figured out just let me know what parts i need and how too hook it up ^^

arm206
09-13-2013, 05:00 AM
This is what I did...
Grab a generic NPN switching transistor with a resistor and use the +5V supplied by the USB port to switch the +12V for the fan on/off.
The fan will be on whet the unit is on, and off when the unit is completely off (it will run when the uint is 'sleeping'/standing by).
I consider this as a temporally solution, until the heating issue gets fixed.

Pic here (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?6209-How-to-make-the-fan-always-on&p=68176#post68176).

tjsooley
09-16-2013, 01:19 PM
You know whats strange. My Noctua fan is on 24/7 as long as the unit is plugged in even off. its strange I replaced it with the stock fan and the stock fan is the same. I checked the board and its fine. I have been playing with the kernel settings via performance control and its rooted but all is good. the hottest I have been able to get it streaming 1080P from my mac to it via ethernet is 138F which is ~ 58C so I am happy until my 3D printer comes and I can make a proper case.