PDA

View Full Version : Linux on OUYA?

amix
08-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Hi,

is there any known effort to bring Linux to the OUYA? Ideally we would end up dual booting.

Bye, Andreas

Cave Four
08-21-2013, 12:05 PM
I was interested in something like this, and came across this but didn't ever get around to trying anything out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid&hl=en

Magnesus
08-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Linux running on Android is using chroot, which means it will be slow and have graphic problems (because it uses VNC to show the picture). Better solution would be classic dual-boot... but what about updating the console then? Or maybe - EVEN BETTER - Ubuntu could run from pendrive? I've seen some pretty fast pendrives lately that would be up to the task.

Cherry_Balloon
08-24-2013, 04:01 AM
bump, bump, sugar lump rump

In all seriousness, I'd like to see Linux running on OUYA as well. It'd be kinda neat to have an OUYA dev environment right on the OUYA. Kinda.

Peter Bauer
08-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Looks like we are getting native Debian soon, we would just need something like a Start button in the OUYA menu to boot the image from the USB Stick more comfortable.
http://tuomas.kulve.fi/blog/2013/08/11/debian-on-ouya/

Regards,
Peter
http://bitkistl.blogspot.com

amix
08-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Best for me would be some specialized distro. No need for me to have a desktop or the like. I was thinking more about something, that boots directly into XBMC. That would require some serious hardware support (drivers etc).

Bye, Andreas

Cave Four
08-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Best for me would be some specialized distro. No need for me to have a desktop or the like. I was thinking more about something, that boots directly into XBMC. That would require some serious hardware support (drivers etc).

Bye, Andreas

There is an app in the discover store that will auto boot apps for you, you could use it to have your ouya boot right into xbmc, don't see why you would want a whole new Linux distro just to run xbmc on it, unless im missing something?

amix
09-06-2013, 02:05 AM
There is an app in the discover store that will auto boot apps for you, you could use it to have your ouya boot right into xbmc, don't see why you would want a whole new Linux distro just to run xbmc on it, unless im missing something?

Thanks for the tip.

A Linux distro is much more powerful and flexible overall, this leaves options open. It's also much more elegant to stay lean. There is no need for Android on a media steamer, so why have it? Keeps it simple.

Not sure how well the state of emulation is ATM on Linux, however.

Bye, Andreas

Magnesus
09-06-2013, 06:35 AM
@amix - most emulators for Android are ported from Linux. At least Snes9x is working on my Ubuntu just fine and the repository is full of them - although I'm not sure if ARM repository is as rich as x86 one.

kulve
09-09-2013, 04:22 PM
I've made some progress with my Debian on Ouya project. I have accelerated video and OpenGL ES working but still no luck with audio. When playing stereo audio, I hear both channels from the left speaker at half speed.

Now I'm looking for any hack in kernel or in user-space to enable stereo but I've running out of ideas. So any hints or pointers are highly appreciated :)

Now the audio is working as well:

http://tuomas.kulve.fi/blog/2013/09/12/debian-on-ouya-all-systems-go/

simple-smile
09-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Impressive! So you turned the OUYA into a 99$ PC, which could benefit schools, youth centers, help services of any kind... Neat, really neat!

AyanaPaulson
09-20-2013, 08:08 AM
That is a great work man..you really opened the gates to may problems i guess..

shaminy
09-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Keep up the good work

Blake David
09-20-2013, 03:09 PM
they should port puppy arcade. they have all the major emulators in that one. and it's just a cool distro

janthony
09-22-2013, 03:40 AM
I don't know anything about Linux but from what I looked up, its what XBMC came from, through an Xbox hack. Someone should post a Youtube video on how to install and some in and outs of Linux. I haven't played an Ouya game since June, this sounds fun.

Cave Four
09-22-2013, 03:53 AM
Actually the xbox version of xbmc came first (hence xbox media center) then Linux, etc.

Its an open source OS known for its customization and being able to run on just about anything.

a detailed youtube tutorial would be really nice.

DelzPlace
09-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Now the audio is working as well:

http://tuomas.kulve.fi/blog/2013/09/12/debian-on-ouya-all-systems-go/

Fantastic work!

Not sure if you are already aware but Valve announced yesterday SteamOS which runs on Linux. Therefore wouldn't it be great if the Ouya could run natively via dual boot to hopefully then run streaming of games via steam on your windows PC over your home network to any room via the Ouya.
Do you think with you making the first steps into running a flavour of Linux on the Ouya this could be possible. If so, I feel this could be just the answer Ouya needs to propel then into the limelight which they deserve!

Love to hear yours or anybody elses thoughts on this?

Noticed the following link from Nvidia Developer Zone concerning Linux and Tegra 3 support:
https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra

T3KN0GH057
09-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Fantastic work!

Not sure if you are already aware but Valve announced yesterday SteamOS which runs on Linux. Therefore wouldn't it be great if the Ouya could run natively via dual boot to hopefully then run streaming of games via steam on your windows PC over your home network to any room via the Ouya.
Do you think with you making the first steps into running a flavour of Linux on the Ouya this could be possible. If so, I feel this could be just the answer Ouya needs to propel then into the limelight which they deserve!

Love to hear yours or anybody elses thoughts on this?

this wouldn't be any different from what kainy does natively in android, I don't see how it could validate OUYA, however linux itself running on a OUYA could do wonders alone for the system

p lopes
12-12-2014, 12:04 PM
this wouldn't be any different from what kainy does natively in android, I don't see how it could validate OUYA, however linux itself running on a OUYA could do wonders alone for the system

Any update to this Thread?

I would love to run OpenElec on my Ouya ;)