PDA

View Full Version : WIP Companion Cube Case

eeGLaDOS
08-20-2013, 04:31 AM
After seeing many of these cool case mods people have been making lately, I wanted to do one myself. Being a fan of Valve's Portal, the companion cube was my first thought. I have a friend who would gladly print it with his 3D printer, so I've been working around in AutoCadd. The case is, as of now, around 4"x4"x4".

Seeing that I want to conserve materials, I hope to only print once or twice. Some features I'm thinking of adding in a few extra usb ports and also a new power button. If anyone has more suggestions for this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TO-DO (eventually):
-Add port holes on one side ✓
-Find and install new power button (maybe, depending on difficulty of solder job)(idea dropped for another)
-Finish designing case top ✓
--Design power button ✓
--Create custom screws/bolts for lid
-Finish designing case bottom ✓
-Add in extra USB ports or a hub (may not happen)
-Add in vents ✓

EDIT 8/30/2013: Checked some things off :D
EDIT 9/2/2013: Checked more stuff off. Released the Kraken!

jimlab7
08-20-2013, 03:09 PM
very nice

you might use one of the lil heart button as your button just design it on the inside to were it lines up with the power button on the ouya
something like this

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:66411

and you can put some lil vents in between the corners and alot in the bottom like this

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/jimlab7/37ji1_zps7760e9b6.png (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/jimlab7/media/37ji1_zps7760e9b6.png.html)

eeGLaDOS
08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Any thoughts on how to lay out the inside so the board and fan all fit in there nicely? Any specific specs I should know of at least?
EDIT: Also, are there any negative effects of the printed case, such as over heating faster or anything of that nature?

jimlab7
08-20-2013, 05:01 PM
not that i know of but cooler is always better and i would base the inside alot like the ouya is based add slots to the bottom and top to keep it in place u might get the specs a bit better from the 3d printer place i showed u about the lid

now I put aluminum on the inside of my case ppl told me it would help cut interference and help prevent shorts.
and seeing as the ouya was wrap with an aluminum case and every game system I've worked on has had flashing I did it to mine

Candy Cab
08-20-2013, 05:02 PM
I would think the biggest issue will be cooling, the factory case does a rather poor job of it already. I would make sure you have very good fan induced airflow in one direction through the case.

eeGLaDOS
08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
now I put aluminum on the inside of my case ppl told me it would help cut interference and help prevent shorts.
How did you line it with aluminum? And, how does the aluminum prevent shorts and interference?

jimlab7
08-20-2013, 06:44 PM
How did you line it with aluminum? And, how does the aluminum prevent shorts and interference?

well I'm not sure maybe u can ask others but i just bought a cheap disposable roaster pan and cement glued to the wood
this is what it looked like after i'm done

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5632-Wooden-NES/page2

eeGLaDOS
08-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Oh! That's your project? Nice!
And Ill see what I can do or try to find the reasoning for it. In the meantime, finishing the model's bottom and starting on those vents.

jimlab7
08-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Oh! That's your project? Nice!
And Ill see what I can do or try to find the reasoning for it. In the meantime, finishing the model's bottom and starting on those vents.

now I don't claim to know alot about modding seeing as if the NES is the first
and idk if eve what i showed if enough venting so if u can find places to hide more vents i would say go for it ^^
cause u cant have to much venting xD

eeGLaDOS
08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
So slight problem: That one link you sent with the 3D model of the existing case doesn't have an AutoCad friendly file. And if it were to be converted, the scale would be off. So it looks like I have to work the button / spring / mounts / back face plate from scratch. Granted, the mounts shouldn't be all that hard to implement, the spring will be very hard to replicate. Looking into other design ideas for that. Vents came out nicer than I thought they would have. Will keep you up to date on this.

jimlab7
08-24-2013, 03:12 PM
So slight problem: That one link you sent with the 3D model of the existing case doesn't have an AutoCad friendly file. And if it were to be converted, the scale would be off. So it looks like I have to work the button / spring / mounts / back face plate from scratch. Granted, the mounts shouldn't be all that hard to implement, the spring will be very hard to replicate. Looking into other design ideas for that. Vents came out nicer than I thought they would have. Will keep you up to date on this.

well thats to bad and cant wait to see your update ^^

eeGLaDOS
08-31-2013, 02:26 AM
Big update!! Woo :D
Got a rough but decent design of the bottom done.
http://imageshack.com/a/img90/6899/chs9.png
Got the back plate finished (venting to be added soon)!
http://imageshack.com/a/img405/9792/k5md.png
Got side ventilation going!
http://imageshack.com/a/img16/5217/46v7.png
Now what I have to do is work on the button.. I'll get on to that eventually xD
And to anyone wondering, if this comes out well and works, I will release the files for it so you can get your own. Feel free to tweak them however you like after that. :)

jimlab7
08-31-2013, 04:41 AM
Very nice have u ran it through a program to see how it would vent?
it might help and show u how well it vents

but it is looking very good

eeGLaDOS
08-31-2013, 05:19 AM
What programs are out there to do that with? I think that'd be a great thing to do soon.

jimlab7
08-31-2013, 12:53 PM
What programs are out there to do that with? I think that'd be a great thing to do soon.
I'm not sure i just seen Skylar use one for his WIP:NES thought it would be a good idea

skylargray
08-31-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure i just seen Skylar use one for his WIP:NES thought it would be a good idea

Saw this and thought I should give some advice.

I use SolidWorks Simulation. I am a certified SolidWorks professional and have been using it for CAD modeling every day as part of my profession for over 8 years.
It wasn't until the last 2 or 3 years that I have been able to jump into the simulation stuff. It is an order of magnitude more complex than Photoshop in my experience...just as a reference point.
So if you don't already know how to build designs in a parametric modeling package and run various simulations, it would probably take a year or two just to understand what I would consider the basics, let alone full simulations like the ones I performed on my miniNES case.

Then there is the cost. The SW Premium package that you need to run the simulations is $10,000. Other CFD simulation software is similarly priced or higher.
Unless you have access to the software, forget about it.

eeGLaDOS
08-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Saw this and thought I should give some advice.

I use SolidWorks Simulation. I am a certified SolidWorks professional and have been using it for CAD modeling every day as part of my profession for over 8 years.
It wasn't until the last 2 or 3 years that I have been able to jump into the simulation stuff. It is an order of magnitude more complex than Photoshop in my experience...just as a reference point.
So if you don't already know how to build designs in a parametric modeling package and run various simulations, it would probably take a year or two just to understand what I would consider the basics, let alone full simulations like the ones I performed on my miniNES case.

Then there is the cost. The SW Premium package that you need to run the simulations is $10,000. Other CFD simulation software is similarly priced or higher.
Unless you have access to the software, forget about it.
Seeing that, I think that's a little too expensive for my blood, at least for a little side project like this. Maybe in the future, I will be able to study up on these basics and put them to use. Thanks for the input though! Any little bits and pieces help!

jimlab7
08-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Seeing that, I think that's a little too expensive for my blood, at least for a little side project like this. Maybe in the future, I will be able to study up on these basics and put them to use. Thanks for the input though! Any little bits and pieces help!

well Skylar could u run it for them i mean eegl plan to hand out the file when done so wont have to wrry about someone taking the plan :D (just a thought)

eeGLaDOS
09-03-2013, 04:25 AM
well Skylar could u run it for them i mean eegl plan to hand out the file when done so wont have to wrry about someone taking the plan :D (just a thought)
He doesn't have to, I don't want to be a bother to him really. But, that's up to him I suppose. Plus, the CAD file isn't complete yet.

Not sure if I can post links to third party file hosts but here's version 1.00
Hope you guys like it.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/py6y8dv85967uah/WCC_OUYA_Case_Mod_by_eeGLaDOS.rar

skywalker993
09-09-2013, 05:47 PM
This looks a lot harder than it needs to be. Do you have access to any other software? Made this in CATIA in about 4 hours, and SolidWorks/SolidEdge would probably be even faster. I'll export the two parts to .stl and print it for around $25 at the local university.

I had the idea to make a Companion Cube case a few days ago and just now checked to see if others have. I'm going to make my power button attached to the frame, just bend slightly when pressed. Might even be a way to wire the light up to the heart so it glows :)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/259/7/b/companion_cube_ouya_by_thecloudwalker-d6mkew0.png