PDA

View Full Version : ouya docking station idea

Techno mastermind
08-18-2013, 11:52 PM
[hi guys
just wanted to share an idea of mine,not sure it its been thought of before,hope you like it.

its a docking station that holds a sata hard drive or an ssd drive if you like.
its got a micro usb and power socket on the back and simply would connect to the ouya with one small cable.
its got large square feet for stability it also contains a large silent fan,for all you over-clockers out there.

update to my previous post Ive now decided to make an all in one case aio.as it makes thing far simpler and neater.
i am still keeping the two tone look of my original design i also added an hdmi socket on the rear.
i will make refinements to the final design when times more plentiful.

Update, I've found a printing company and am going to do a number of prototypes to ensure things go together as they should.
There is still a lot for me to get done like designing the usb host circuit board to power the front USB ports.

dra6onfire
08-19-2013, 07:40 AM
I like it. any thought on how you intent to build it?

Cave Four
08-19-2013, 07:47 AM
not bad, I'd like to see a usb hub in there as well tho

DoubleD
08-19-2013, 09:44 AM
It's neat, but it feels like the HD is blocking the air flow.

Techno mastermind
08-19-2013, 03:07 PM
It's neat, but it feels like the HD is blocking the air flow.

Hi guys
Glad you like my idea,with regards to the air flow inside the case there will be a gap of 10mm from the ouya to the internal hard drive.

With regards to the manufacturing of this device it could be 3d printed or box folded out of aluminium sheet,just like the ouya case is made.

This design is preliminary so all your input is welcome to improve upon its design.

I wii update this design shortly to include sockets on the front and a full size sd card slot on the rear.

JerTM
08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
A HDD, usb, power, and a stable base. You should see about getting this made through OUYA inc. It's a fantastic idea.

PHYSC
08-19-2013, 06:44 PM
You could strip the esata to sata from an old xbox 360 hdd and use a data cable for the esata to usb interface,then find the pinout on the esata connector and use a mobile phone usb charger to power it so that it has external power source preventing it overloading the motherboard in the ouya. :) Ps. you could house it small and neat in something better looking you make.I have debated doing this to a spare one i have but do not know how to pinout for power source unless you fancy figuring it out and giving a guide some time mate.That would be greatly appreciated by all i think,good luck to.

Techno mastermind
08-19-2013, 07:47 PM
You could strip the esata to sata from an old xbox 360 hdd and use a data cable for the esata to usb interface,then find the pinout on the esata connector and use a mobile phone usb charger to power it so that it has external power source preventing it overloading the motherboard in the ouya. :) Ps. you could house it small and neat in something better looking you make.I have debated doing this to a spare one i have but do not know how to pinout for power source unless you fancy figuring it out and giving a guide some time mate.That would be greatly appreciated by all i think,good luck to.

hey guys i took what you said on board and made a few improvements to my design.

i think it covers pretty much all your requests,thanks for the feedback.

heres the link, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/od1rqh2x41em630/Gc7leWS3fU

almost forgot,lol the usb ports on the front will light up by the use of led back lighting so it would look quite cool when powered up.
also the round led in the middle is an hard drive led access indicator,so read write to the drive can be monitored.

thanks again.

PHYSC
08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
hey guys i took what you said on board and made a few improvements to my design.

i think it covers pretty much all your requests,thanks for the feedback.

heres the link, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/od1rqh2x41em630/Gc7leWS3fU

Great design, also you could have added an optional super silent fan in it giving better heat extraction on the base,with an added on off switch or button to use it.

Darkdisorder78
08-19-2013, 08:14 PM
As long as it can provivde more USB ports which is a big problem I have with my OUYA now then its looking great!

Techno mastermind
08-20-2013, 06:12 AM
There is a large fan in the base of the docking station,a silent type fan.
I could have a small thermo sensor inside the case that kicks the fan into action when things get toasty.

PHYSC
08-20-2013, 06:02 PM
There is a large fan in the base of the docking station,a silent type fan.
I could have a small thermo sensor inside the case that kicks the fan into action when things get toasty.Yes,that's perfect stop there make a prototype and ask ouya to sell it 70% to you 30% to them if you get that for games why not for new hardware to? I'm sure they'd love that idea get a petition going on here for the forum users to agree it gets made and show them that there's huge interest as we all know there will be,you'd make a mint mate no more work for you mate lol

Killswitch
08-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Are you actually making them or have blueprints so someone else can?

Candy Cab
08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
I would rather see something like that as a whole new case instead of just dropping the whole unit in you just drop the hardware in. Putting an existing case into a larger case just seems backward especially in terms of cooling, so now you have two enclosures you will need to provide adequate airflow for instead of one. The relative ease of which the hardware can be removed currently just screams for better performing case designs. A larger case with those add-ons is a total home run imho :-)

Techno mastermind
08-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the support and encouragemeant,it's very well appreciated.

I was looking into manufacturing these devices myself but would gladly let ouya inc do the job due to the fact that they have got the marketing and pr types to make this device a real success.

I'm looking into contacting a local 3d printing company to do my prototyped version,or possibly a kick starter funding campaign.
I'm looking a formlabs f1 3d printer,but funds are not avalible at the moment.

I have contacted Julie uhrman about my idea,just waiting for a reply.

An all in one case is a great idea,all we need do is unscrew the top off the ouya and remove the circuit board and pop it into its new home,fantastic and very simply to implement.
I will get to designing a mock-up very shortly,watch this space.

Thanks candy cab.

Thanks to all your feedback its very much appreciated.

jimlab7
08-20-2013, 08:44 PM
looks great if i wasn't making my own mod i would like this