PDA

View Full Version : Replace the onboard memory

Inotamira Orani
08-14-2013, 05:04 AM
The on board memory seems to be from a Kingston flash drive. If I where to desolder the flash memory and replace it with a sandisk 32GB chip, would I be able to get this to work? I assume I'd need to flash the boot and the firmware onto the new board, would it be possible to for the new memory chip to initialize, take, and would the OUYA be flash-able afterwards?

jimlab7
08-14-2013, 05:38 AM
The on board memory seems to be from a Kingston flash drive. If I where to desolder the flash memory and replace it with a sandisk 32GB chip, would I be able to get this to work? I assume I'd need to flash the boot and the firmware onto the new board, would it be possible to for the new memory chip to initialize, take, and would the OUYA be flash-able afterwards?

Idk but that would be nice maybe you can contact the Ouya Developers and maybe they can give you an answers on that.

DrunkPunk
08-14-2013, 06:56 AM
It has been talked about before but nobody was brave enough to possibly brick their Ouya. Check out The Wraith Project (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5072-The-Wraith-Project); he has already come up with solutions for the small amount of internal memory.

Inotamira Orani
08-14-2013, 08:58 AM
It has been talked about before but nobody was brave enough to possibly brick their Ouya. Check out The Wraith Project (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5072-The-Wraith-Project); he has already come up with solutions for the small amount of internal memory.
This is something I've done before, and to be quite honest, it isn't really necessary for me. Using paragon NTFS & HFS+ mounter I can mount a fairly large NTFS formatted hard drive, I don't install alot of the games from the ouya store as I own half and am waiting for the Google integration (I'm honestly not paying another 5-15 dollars for a game I already own just for a small controller adjustment). So until that point memory expansion in that fashion isn't necessary and I already know how to do that.

I do however think the base size for the system is abysmal and would like to physically extend it on the mother board. Since I don't know how flexible the bios for the system is, I won't proceed unless I knew I could at the very least get it into fast boot mode after switching the storage.

DrunkPunk
08-14-2013, 10:24 AM
I do however think the base size for the system is abysmal and would like to physically extend it on the mother board.

Agreed.

Since I don't know how flexible the bios for the system is, I won't proceed unless I knew I could at the very least get it into fast boot mode after switching the storage.

Not flexible at all from my understanding. We don't have a custom ROM, nor recovery access yet, so any attempt would probably not work well. Focus on the "yet", I'm sure we'll see one soon.

Inotamira Orani
08-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Agreed.

Not flexible at all from my understanding. We don't have a custom ROM, nor recovery access yet, so any attempt would probably not work well. Focus on the "yet", I'm sure we'll see one soon.

I do happen to understand this bit as the boot.img isn't open source (which seems odd seeing as it's supposed to be completely open source, but whatever). On a side note, where could I get a new enclosure, the one i had ended up with a stripped alan wrench screw (honestly why people who make consoles are SO AGAINST phillips screw heads I'll never know) and I had to damage and break the enclosure partially to get it open. I use it a lot for media and emulation but like to tinker with it to improve it (I found a free way to make the fan silent because the original design choice for the fan is.....the stupidity is monumental on that one, a screw INTO the heat sink? Really? Who the hell said that was a good call?)

DrunkPunk
08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Hehe, I've had many devices that had the fan screwed into the heat sink and that used to be the norm way back. Never a good idea though. ;)

There's a guy that stops by the forums here that makes some great custom cases (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3510-BDG-Custom-OUYA-Case-Thread). As far as getting a replacement standard case, I'm not sure where you'd do that. I know that you can download the 3D printer files for free though.

Inotamira Orani
08-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Hehe, I've had many devices that had the fan screwed into the heat sink and that used to be the norm way back. Never a good idea though. ;)

There's a guy that stops by the forums here that makes some great custom cases (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3510-BDG-Custom-OUYA-Case-Thread). As far as getting a replacement standard case, I'm not sure where you'd do that. I know that you can download the 3D printer files for free though.
ok, let me clarify, it's not so much that it's screwed to the heat sink (this is how I fixed it actually) it's that it lacks a separator between the fan and heat sink, the fan is usually grinding against the heat sink which causes the noise. The easiest way to fix this, is to put some washers under the fan enclosure to make a small gap to avoid the grinding. Screweing it directly into the heat sink like that, and flush against it is just mindless.

DrunkPunk
08-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Gotcha. Thankfully, mine doesn't have any clearance issues.

Inotamira Orani
08-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Gotcha. Thankfully, mine doesn't have any clearance issues.

Well, back to the topic, I have also noticed their is a second issue, in order to desolder the memory chip, I would also have to desolder the heat sink in order to get to it's soldering points.

SuicideWafle
08-15-2013, 06:44 PM
You could solder a USB harddrive to the USB receivers on the inside, and turn that into your primary. The Ouya would accept it. With a usb HDD you could do up to a few T, as well.

cannonshane
08-15-2013, 11:39 PM
^^^ Still wouldn't act as internal storage though, So doesn't really solve the issue.

Rabid1
08-16-2013, 03:57 AM
In theory, if everything worked perfectly with the desolder/solder it should work. A couple of Android tablets have actually used a MicroSD internally, like the Flytouch 3. You could pull the 4GB and replace it up to 32GB and the system when installing would just automatically format and take the extra space for the user storage. Now the highest I have ever seen OS wise was one with Gingerbread so it is possible they have changed something in ICS or JB.

Inotamira Orani
08-16-2013, 04:35 AM
In theory, if everything worked perfectly with the desolder/solder it should work. A couple of Android tablets have actually used a MicroSD internally, like the Flytouch 3. You could pull the 4GB and replace it up to 32GB and the system when installing would just automatically format and take the extra space for the user storage. Now the highest I have ever seen OS wise was one with Gingerbread so it is possible they have changed something in ICS or JB.
The internal storage still acts as an SD card based storage (it's always mounted to sdcard0) if I had better tools and more confidence in this working I might do it now, but then again, if that was the case, I wouldn't have bought a 99 dollar gaming console as a media center, I would have paid a butt-load for something like an apple tv or whatever rich retards are buying these days

Rabid1
08-16-2013, 05:09 AM
The internal storage still acts as an SD card based storage (it's always mounted to sdcard0) if I had better tools and more confidence in this working I might do it now, but then again, if that was the case, I wouldn't have bought a 99 dollar gaming console as a media center, I would have paid a butt-load for something like an apple tv or whatever rich retards are buying these days

yeah it's a lot of work and risk with an uncertain shot at reward.

Wraith_Vague
08-18-2013, 07:23 PM
This could probably be done. It appears the entire system is only one chip though. There is a reason you only get 5.78 GB out of 8 right out of the box. The internal SD isn't separate from the rest of the system. /sdcard is a symlink to /storage/sdcard0 which in turn is a mount point for /data/media. That's your real sdcard. /data and /storage/sdcard0 share the same 5 GB space. The rest of the system uses the missing space + the loss after formatting. A replacement of the physical chip would likely result in the need for a complete reflash of the OUYA software. The missing space is just a theory though.

SuicideWafle
08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
What you said about it just being extended HDD is not true. You can tell the Ouya that the soldered drive is the primary, and install the OS on there. This would give sd0 to your external. There are many posts on this site about how to do that.Simply solder a drive, and use this method to turn it t the primary. http://www.ouyaly.com/?p=635 Is the guide, and use the app on the Ouya store to tell the program to boot automatically. Take it from the guy with 1TB of Ouya space.