PDA

View Full Version : Case mod questions?

techyt8628
08-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Alright so ive been working towards a case mod amd I see a few problems . I want to use a gamcube and have fans and a usb hub in it. I have most of it planned but how would I go about a power button? And what have you guys used for keeping the motherboard in place in other cases?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 4

jimlab7
08-14-2013, 12:12 AM
I seen were ppl have cut into the ouya case and use the holding parts in it just glue it in place and slip it in but if u want to keep your ouya case undamaged this isn't a good idea.

as for the power button im not sure im kinda looking for the same thing lol

would love to see what you come up with post pics if u can ^^

techyt8628
08-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Il post when I can. I still need to work out how to put it in. And I could always desoder the power button and soder the gamecubes in. You have anything in the works?

jimlab7
08-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Il post when I can. I still need to work out how to put it in. And I could always desoder the power button and soder the gamecubes in. You have anything in the works?

yeah im making the wooden NES case xD i just got done glueing alumuim to the bottum half of it and wondering if i should the top
idk if it will block the wireless

DrunkPunk
08-14-2013, 06:52 AM
I could always desoder the power button and soder the gamecubes in. You have anything in the works?

Yep, that's probably your best bet. The button and LED are right on top (when oriented in the stock case) and should be pretty easy to desolder and rewire.

techyt8628
08-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Yep, that's probably your best bet. The button and LED are right on top (when oriented in the stock case) and should be pretty easy to desolder and rewire.

Alright I might do that
Ive never desoldered anything before so its a shot in the dark

techyt8628
08-14-2013, 01:54 PM
yeah im making the wooden NES case xD i just got done glueing alumuim to the bottum half of it and wondering if i should the top
idk if it will block the wireless

I would recomend putting the ouya in something and just putting alumium over it as a test

jimlab7
08-14-2013, 04:32 PM
I would recomend putting the ouya in something and just putting alumium over it as a test

hey thats a idea Thanks man ^^ plus there is a update if anyone would like to see

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5632-Wooden-NES/page2

techyt8628
08-14-2013, 07:31 PM
hey thats a idea Thanks man ^^ plus there is a update if anyone would like to see

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5632-Wooden-NES/page2

That's looking awesome man, have you tested that out yet?

techyt8628
08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
How hard would it be to make an acrylic bottom for the gamecube? That would give me a smooth non conductive base, more room and would make my fans look nice. I could throw my 80mm blue led in there. And a second question. Should I resoder the fans? Convert to usb or how

jimlab7
08-14-2013, 09:46 PM
That's looking awesome man, have you tested that out yet?
no not yet I need to order a new fan and think of the best way to add a power button were the
orignal power button would be either desolder the one and move or find another one to add to it

I also want to add some more usbs 2 in front where the controller would be and maybe on inside
to power another fan and maybe in the back idk yet

techyt8628
08-14-2013, 09:49 PM
no not yet I need to order a new fan and think of the best way to add a power button were the
orignal power button would be either desolder the one and move or find another one to add to it

I was reading something and it suggested you could leave it in standby. Apparently it uses less power than an alarm clock and is harmless to the system. Idk if I want to do that though. It may make a nice quick fix until I get around to finding something

jimlab7
08-14-2013, 09:59 PM
I was reading something and it suggested you could leave it in standby. Apparently it uses less power than an alarm clock and is harmless to the system. Idk if I want to do that though. It may make a nice quick fix until I get around to finding something

I'm in no hurry right now its in its old case I'm going to look for a new power button I can just wire to it
without taking the old on off (I think I can do that) and i think someone here shows you how to add the usb hub to the MB

as for the acrylic bottom I"m not sure but u could ask BDG Custom he has been making acrylic ouya cases but he might
be able to build you something

techyt8628
08-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Il have to browse around for that. Yeah I have just had mine in the regular case until I get it worked out

techyt8628
08-15-2013, 03:22 AM
I just read the second part ill have to ask BDG Customs

jimlab7
08-15-2013, 04:35 AM
ok i found this and if it works would be awesome cause i also want to
put a bit of plexy glass for a red light like the NES and i just wondering
how to do it and if i can leave the orignal on and just wire this in.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1442

if im not mistaking i can hook the light in the button to the light on the ouya (wanting to take off anyways)
and hook the power to the the power on the ouya (still dont know if i can have 2 buttons hooked up without a prob)

techyt8628
08-15-2013, 04:41 AM
ok i found this and if it works would be awesome cause i also want to
put a bit of plexy glass for a red light like the NES and i just wondering
how to do it and if i can leave the orignal on and just wire this in.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1442

Im definitely researching more. That looks sweet. If it works im ordering it when I get paid

jimlab7
08-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Im definitely researching more. That looks sweet. If it works im ordering it when I get paid

yeah im still new to modding i would like someone to say it would work cause this would be just what i need

techyt8628
08-15-2013, 05:13 AM
yeah im still new to modding i would like someone to say it would work cause this would be just what i need

Yeah so am I. Ive never modded anything so this is new to me. In theory it should work