PDA

View Full Version : Simple vold edit to allow external USB to appear as /storage/sdcard1

Rabid1
08-10-2013, 05:32 AM
I have edited the vold.fstab file so the external USb will now show up when connected as an MTP or camera device, it shows up in settings under storage, and apps can see it to play media or read books from. dev_mount sdcard /storage.
Edit your vold.fstab file to look like this:

## Vold 2.0 fstab for cardhu

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.2/usb2
dev_mount usbdrive /mnt/usbdrive auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2

You can # out the original lines or delete. Always make a backup of any file before editing.

If you are not doing the edit through an Android file manager, Android terminal, or Linux but on a Windows system you will need to install Notepad ++ or similar editor that recognizes the Linux format.

Your tablet must be rooted to do this.

If enough people are interested I will make a small installer that will backup your vold.fstab and replace it, or restore the original if you need it.

Here is the installer simple and dirty. You'll have to rerun after updates. Instructions included.

DOWNLOAD HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?fzr1a17uafimz4m)

Jake53
08-10-2013, 05:52 AM
I`d love an installer :)

oldpainless888
08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Will this allow apps2sd to function?

N3CRO
08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Great Job ive been searching all night of a way to connect my 75 gb harddrive to my ouya so i dont waste any internal memory and i think this might do the trick

digitalBCP
08-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Installer would be amazing!

Rabid1
08-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Will this allow apps2sd to function?

I haven't tested it, but under settings - storage it lists the external as SDCARD so it might. In a file manager it is under /storage/sdcard1 so if apps2sd can see either of those it could.

Rabid1
08-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Installer coming

Wraith_Vague
08-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Known fix. All this does is tell the OUYA to mount the USB drive as on the /storage/sdcard1 mount point so that it shows up in the Storage menu as an external SD card. It will not enable app2sd. No app2sd support is a problem with the OUYA itself. Also if you use something like Root Explorer to edit vold.fstab, it automatically creates a backup on save. This will also be wiped out after every OUYA update and you'll have to edit it again. The nice thing about this vold change is when you plug your OUYA into the computer, both the internal flash and the usb drive will show up in windows.

As for app2sd...ive spent 2 weeks at least doing research. I have a fix now. Soon as I get my data moved over and finish testing Ill post how it works. Im moving my data back onto a 500 GB drive because theoretically Im going to be able to download the entire OUYA store and not blink an eye as far as space is concerned.

Rabid1
08-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Known fix.

Really? I thought it came to me in a dream. :indecisiveness:

There is a relatively easy fix that could make it more compatible and permanent, but until there is a stable easy access recovery for the average user it is not a viable fix by any means. This is simple and easy enough for the average user to do with virtually no risk to their system. Boot.img edits, init edits just aren't worth the risk without a proper recovery. I have done this a companion, for tablets with small storage, to the all roms I create for them.

Wraith_Vague
08-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Really? I thought it came to me in a dream. :indecisiveness:

There is a relatively easy fix that could make it more compatible and permanent, but until there is a stable easy access recovery for the average user it is not a viable fix by any means. This is simple and easy enough for the average user to do with virtually no risk to their system. Boot.img edits, init edits just aren't worth the risk without a proper recovery. I have done this a companion, for tablets with small storage, to the all roms I create for them.

Yeah I like the vold.fstab change because im too lazy to pick my folders in Folder Mount. I like that it happily creates the folders for me on sdcard1. Makes it faster and less tedious linking the data/obb games. Im also using this in my internal fix. Just makes sense to have app2sd and not app2usb, even though its really going to the usb drive anyway. lol.

Rabid1
08-10-2013, 10:24 PM
I tried a couple of ways to use the vold to get link2sd working, but the closest I got was the app seeing it, but the Ouya rebooting when anything tried to access it.

I try and steer people away from CWM on systems that don't have a viable recovery at first. Then if no solution comes around they can decide if they want to risk the potential brick of something goes wrong.

If the Ouya used external microsd this would all we need to use app2 or link2. Too bad they don't support emulation.

Wraith_Vague
08-11-2013, 02:32 AM
My solution works at the system level, without apps, but only if the damned drive actually mounts. I have one drive that does and another that doesn't. Setup exactly the same way. I like the vold.fstab but its starting to seem like its too limited for my needs, unless OUYA's magical USB Fix that's coming actually does allow all drives to mount without issue.

lartomar2002
08-11-2013, 05:49 AM
My solution works at the system level, without apps, but only if the damned drive actually mounts. I have one drive that does and another that doesn't. Setup exactly the same way. I like the vold.fstab but its starting to seem like its too limited for my needs, unless OUYA's magical USB Fix that's coming actually does allow all drives to mount without issue.
I am using OTG USB HELPER from the play store and it mounts my MY Passport 500gb as usbdrive 1. Everytime I start Ouya it ask if I want to mount. It will also let you unmount. Would your app2sd work with that configuration?

Wraith_Vague
08-11-2013, 05:55 AM
I am using OTG USB HELPER from the play store and it mounts my MY Passport 500gb as usbdrive 1. Everytime I start Ouya it ask if I want to mount. It will also let you unmount. Would your app2sd work with that configuration?

Yup. It doesnt matter how or where the drive is mounted. I'm just stubborn and don't want to use apps to mount something the Android system itself can do, but on the OUYA is apparently too lazy to get off the couch with its bag of cheetos and mount my drive like it should using the vold.fstab trick.

lartomar2002
08-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Well please post your app when you have it finished. I would like to move some stuff now. I only have 1.7gb left. Will your app still keep a link to its location in the make or play section?

digitalBCP
08-11-2013, 07:04 PM
If I'm having issues getting the OUYA to recognize my 3TB Fat32 Seagate Backup Plus drive do you think this could help solve the issue? Iv tried everything and even partitioned it into 1.5TB but still to no prevail

Rabid1
08-11-2013, 10:03 PM
If I'm having issues getting the OUYA to recognize my 3TB Fat32 Seagate Backup Plus drive do you think this could help solve the issue? Iv tried everything and even partitioned it into 1.5TB but still to no prevail

This won't help it find it, it would only make it easier to use if it did. If the Ouya could see it it would only see the first primary partition, which has to be in FAT not NTFS.

Wraith_Vague
08-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Try a NTFS format and the Paragon app from Google Play. It can mount NTFS drives with full read write, even multiple drives on a USB hub.