PDA

View Full Version : Possible WiFi solution..

arcticdog
08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Just curious if anyone has tried bridging the cat-cable connection to wifi:

(there are several devices that enable this kind of thing, but here's an inexpensive example)
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Dreambox-Satellite-Receiver-Network/dp/tech-data/B00AHA2QGO/ref=de_a_smtd

Basically, it would work on OUYA like it did on the original X-Box (which did not ship with Wifi). The wired connection from the OUYA would hook up to this device, and then this device is configured as a bridge/extension to your existing Wifi network. From the OUYA's perspective, it would be a wired lan connection, but once it gets to the device, it's a wifi connection.

Just thought others might find this to be an inexpensive way to alleviate the Wifi hardware issue. If OUYA could get these in bulk at a reduced rate, it might even be a means of cheaply fixing the problem for those affected by it.

Murka
08-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Why not use a Ethernet-Through-Electricity adapter set?

Mine was a bit wonky to set up, but once it was set up, and the 2nd update was applied to the OUYA (I think it was the second, the one where they actually fixed the ethernet :p ) I got a very stable connection, not SUPER fast but more than enough to stream HD video (Haven't tried BD quality videos yet)

Darkdisorder78
08-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Well im using a Wi Fi extender since my singal is so weak on OUYA where its placed. It works great!

James Andrew Coote
08-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Takes up a USB slot as well for power? Guess you could just use a USB hub. Still quite expensive even at $18 for something that ideally wouldn't be a problem.

I've had my house wired up since like 1998, so wifi has always been a bonus, but never essential. (Some of the older cables still have "Space Shuttle Approved" written on the side :D)

arcticdog
08-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Takes up a USB slot as well for power? Guess you could just use a USB hub. Still quite expensive even at $18 for something that ideally wouldn't be a problem.

I've had my house wired up since like 1998, so wifi has always been a bonus, but never essential. (Some of the older cables still have "Space Shuttle Approved" written on the side :D)
For the record, I've never really had any problems with WiFi on my OUYA. But as is the case with you, I have a dev unit made out unshielded material. :)

There are plenty of inexpensive USB wall outlet adapters available.

I'd guess if OUYA were to get something like this in bulk, they could probably sell them at whatever it cost them or give them away to those most affected by the problem. If they can spend a $1M on exclusive content, they can most certainly spend that amount on a stop gap to help those most affected by WiFi problems. Especially if they can't fix it in firmware.

LuckyCharms
08-06-2013, 09:48 PM
I take it I'm the only one with improved wifi since this last update? For me, not only does the signal seem stronger but now also more stable. This has happened with 2 ouyas that I own.

Tapatalk HD

jonbonazza
08-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I have never even really had wifi issues, honestly. Could be because my OUYA is literally right next to my WAP though...

LegionOfDoom
08-07-2013, 01:36 AM
I have never even really had wifi issues, honestly. Could be because my OUYA is literally right next to my WAP though...

Why wouldn't you run a cable if it is right there?

arcticdog
08-07-2013, 02:24 AM
I take it I'm the only one with improved wifi since this last update? For me, not only does the signal seem stronger but now also more stable. This has happened with 2 ouyas that I own.

Tapatalk HD
Could be. Thing is.. wifi is a weird animal that's subject to a lot of things that might not even be the fault of OUYA.

I have a friend that has so many wireless toys in his house, he frequently runs into channel interference. Like James, he ended up wiring his entire house with convenient cat-cable ports and created a wiring closet to his router.

In my own dwelling, I had a wireless speaker system that killed all Wifi for any device if it was between the router and the device. The wireless transmitter allowed me to switch settings, which helped briefly until other Wifi devices scanned to another channel and interfered again. I ended up unplugging my wireless audio to make it work for everything.

If yours continues to work, then maybe they did fix something. If not, maybe you're lucky enough that it transmitted/received to a vacant channel for awhile. :)

GohanX
08-07-2013, 05:39 AM
I just connected my Ouya's ethernet to an old Linksys Wireless Game Adapter (originally made for Xbox and PS2) that I hadn't used in years, and it works quite well! The wifi in my living room is still a bit weak, the adapter is only reading a 60% signal, but the speed of bringing up the Discover menu, the Amazon app store, and downloading are a lot faster now. Still not fast, but 100x better than before.

Even before I got the Ouya I was planning on getting one of those power line ethernet kits for all my game systems, but this will hold me over until then.

Victor Coleiro
08-07-2013, 05:53 AM
This is the same issue Android PC Sticks had . The latest ones have external antenna which work great

I hope Ouya learn from this for any future Ouya's and implement external WiFi antennas.

That aside, you could try to find any WiFi antenna point coming of the PCB and extend an antenna off it. If your handy like this that is.