PDA

View Full Version : howto install older update?

tennisbgc
08-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Is there a way to install an older ouya update? cause the latest one messed up ethernet performace for me.

Wraith_Vague
08-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Is there a way to install an older ouya update? cause the latest one messed up ethernet performace for me.

Yup. You can go clear back to February if you want. But I wouldn't recommend it. ;) And it would update itself unless you turned off updates. Requires the almighty and lovely root. :D I don't know your knowledge level. But I and/or a lot of others here can make it happen. And so much more. Take the blue pill! :D The OUYA Has You.

IncognitoMan
08-03-2013, 09:40 PM
The real problem here is that apparently ( only have had from reports...still not confirmed by me or someone else that I've had as a tester.. ) at some point OUYA turned on a check that cross checks the ouya apk version and if it doesnt match itll lock you out of the Discover section.

Is it possible to patch this? Sure... patch the apk version to match the current and it *should* work with discover.... then patch out the updater and that will prevent the ouya from updating.

Is it really worth it though? IMO no but to each their own.

huckjam
08-17-2013, 07:05 AM
The real problem here is that apparently ( only have had from reports...still not confirmed by me or someone else that I've had as a tester.. ) at some point OUYA turned on a check that cross checks the ouya apk version and if it doesnt match itll lock you out of the Discover section.

Is it possible to patch this? Sure... patch the apk version to match the current and it *should* work with discover.... then patch out the updater and that will prevent the ouya from updating.

Is it really worth it though? IMO no but to each their own.

Im not sure where you heard that but you could you find a link to it? I haven't installed an OTA since three updates ago I have clockwork recovery and the playstore installed and the updater turned off and i still use the discover section with no problem I don't even have the new menu that they just released last week but I can still see all the games just like before. So I don't know what you mean by it locks you out I haven't heard that yet and ive helped more than my share of people get the playstore and overscan fix mod installed.

IncognitoMan
08-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Im not sure where you heard that but you could you find a link to it? I haven't installed an OTA since three updates ago I have clockwork recovery and the playstore installed and the updater turned off and i still use the discover section with no problem I don't even have the new menu that they just released last week but I can still see all the games just like before. So I don't know what you mean by it locks you out I haven't heard that yet and ive helped more than my share of people get the playstore and overscan fix mod installed.

From people trying my rom... the patch seems to have been implemented some time in 393? maybe 365...but since my last post here I've dug around and figured out the culprit which is more along the lines of an issue with doing what ouya sees as a "downgrade".

Basically every time you upgrade... a local db gets updated to bump it up to the next revision listed by that rom ( or rather by its apk )... If it notices you trying to "downgrade" ( ie going from 439 -> 409 ) it'll just stop the framework from working.