PDA

View Full Version : Noctua NF-A4x10 fan help????????????

Michael Shields
07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
just bought one of these and paste

when i fit it i cut yellow wire and just uesd the red and black of the old fan
is this correct as fan is working but temp is 58 where was 50 on the stock one ???????????

thanks for your help

Kees667
01-04-2014, 04:51 PM
You need to use the omnijoi connectors that come with the noctua. Then cut the wire from the old fan and use it. There is a guide with the new fan and a video on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

cannonshane
01-19-2014, 10:51 AM
I just cut the supplied wires and existing wires and soldered them together.

Oxize
01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
So far i know these fans only have 2 wires. Not a jellow one, atleast not at mine Noctua NF-A4x10. The omnijoin adapter works perfectly.

Michael Thompson
02-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Mine had three wires.
The yellow wire I trimmed back as it is just a tach wire and not utilized in this application.
I spliced the red/black wires directly and mounted the fan so that the wires make a tighter run to the connector.
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp353/strider_mt2k/Ouya%20Mods/CameraZOOM-20140201144727929_zpsbe1m5svb.jpg (http://s427.photobucket.com/user/strider_mt2k/media/Ouya%20Mods/CameraZOOM-20140201144727929_zpsbe1m5svb.jpg.html)
I also did a quick powerup test before I put it all back together and the fan spins fast and silent.

rhester72
02-02-2014, 05:00 AM
This is not the first report I've read about temps going up on a Noctua replacement without any evidence of poor installation.

Not being funny, but what is anyone hoping to achieve with the replacement fan? Not once have I had an issue with excessive temperatures on my retail unit, even after pushing all CPU cores and the GPU at 100% during a torture test with an apartment ambient temperature of 85 degrees Fahrenheight...for 72 straight hours, in an enclosed entertainment unit, at that!

Either I got ridiculously lucky, or this is a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist. I'm all for hardware tinkering, don't misunderstand...made a career of it for many years. I'm just failing to see the value-add on an Ouya fan swap.

Rodney

Michael Thompson
02-02-2014, 11:10 AM
For me it was fan noise. I don't see any cooling benefits other than the fan design is more efficient.
Also, modding stuff is fun.

Farm Peeps
02-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I concur...Modding IS fun! This may be the only consumer electronic device that I have that was still covered by warranty within the first week of ownership. Mainly because its the only product I have that does not have a seal that "voids warranty if broken" on it. :pirate:

Some things I have learned to up Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) on your stuff: I usually add heatsinks and fans on my stuff because designers always reduce the engineering specifications to maintain competitiveness. I put that quality back by reheating suspect cold solder joints, caps that bulge after burn-in, grommets and cable reliefs, chipset cooling,, replacing marginal p/s units and usually a case fan. I stock up on power adapters and use the next higher amperage to ensure the device does not burnout batteries to maintain production. Never use spray wd-40, anywhere. Its aresol actually dilutes and induces rust. Do use silicon & lithium grease, sparingly. Mesh on fans and filters. Save sheen hosiery for filter material. A fat thigh hose can accommodate an entire mid-tower chassis!