PDA

View Full Version : The Wraith Project

Wraith_Vague
07-28-2013, 07:47 PM
OUYA. The gaming final frontier. Going where nobody has had the balls to go before.

My Thread. All mine.

I wanted to start my own thread. A place that shows what I've done so far and what I'm currently working on. Something I can constantly edit as things change and answer any questions people might have.

I really want this thing to show that mobile isnt mobile anymore. We are starting to get console quality graphics with mobile chipsets. Games made with the Unreal and Havok engines. OUYA is the trailblazer in this niche market. It needs to start getting serious.

Tegra Line
-Tegra 3 / 12 GPU Cores (OUYA)
-Tegra 4 / 72 GPU Cores
-Tegra 5 / 192 GPU Cores
http://mygaming.co.za/news/hardware/56629-amazing-nvidia-tegra-5-graphics-capabilties-revealed.html
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/07/nvidia-tegra-5-release-date-specs-news/
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

OUYA: What I have already done.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Running ClockworkMod Recovery and Stock Plus Rom now. Stock Plus has Root, Super User, Busybox, Google Play, a Theme Engine, CIFS support for Windows network shares, Updates turned OFF...all baked into the Rom. And the most important thing of all...a blue theme that gets rid of that orange enraging background that I hate so much. All courtesy of IncognitoMan.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-500 GB Western Digital My Passport (no bigger than the OUYA) as my Extended SDCard. 465 GB usable space. It has a second 32 GB EXT4 partition that I am attempting to keep mounted in order to fix the internal OUYA space problem since OUYA games usually dont have OBB/DATA directories and can be 500 MB+ in size. That is a lot when we only get 5.78 GB usable space out of the box.
-XBMC installed with 375 movies taking 300 GB of space.
-67 Playstation ISOs. 280 N64 Roms. Thousands of Atari, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Neo Geo, NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis roms.
-Pandora. Plays internet music while I play my games.
-OnLive working perfectly with multiple controllers.
-Moga Pro Controller. Only need the OUYA controller for its Touchpad sometimes.
-Launcher has been replaced with Smart Launcher Pro (Multiple Themes, 6 categorized trays of apps, works perfectly with only controller)
-Wave Live wallpaper. Cant get more modern gaming console than this.

OUYA: Stuff I'm Working On
- Research indicates the Wireless signal can be boosted by software if it is not already at the maximum signal strength.
- Designing a console looking mini case with a built in USB hub in the front.
It will look modern and house both the OUYA board and the 500 GB external hard drive.
- Working on the internal storage problem. Almost done. The fix will be done at the system level and will not require an app like Link2SD as the middleman. Without real controller support, it is a pain in the ass to use and the sdext2 mounter script doesn't work at all. My solution will work automatically and transparently to both the OS and the Gamer.
- Working on a very long and detailed guide on everything I know how to do here. I have the table of contents ready and writing it out now. So far the guide has 9 sections with 22 subsections to break things down into digestible chunks. I have completed sections 1 and 2.

OUYA: My Current Games
[Native = Native Controller Support, Moga = Moga Pro, OUYA = OUYA Title]
*Note that the Moga will work for all OUYA games, Native games, and Moga games.
*Note that if the Moga Pro is connected, the OUYA controller can also be used in Gameloft Games.
*All games are installed and working. Data and OBB files have been off loaded to the Passport using Folder Mount.

Last Game Count [39]
-Asphalt 7 (Native/Moga)
-AVP Evolution (Moga)
-Bards Tale (OUYA/Moga)
-Beach Buggy Blitz (Native/Moga)
-Beast Boxing Turbo (OUYA)
-Blazing Souls (Native/Moga)
-Blood Sword THD (Native)
-BombSquad (OUYA)
-Burn Zombie Burn (Native)
-Chrono Blade (OUYA)
-The Conduit HD (Native/Moga)
-Dead Trigger (Native/Moga)
-Dub Wars (OUYA)
-Dungeon Hunter 4 (Moga)
-Eternity Warriors 2 (Native)
-Eve of Genesis HD (Native)
-Flahshout 3D (OUYA)
-Freedom Fall (OUYA)
-Generations of Chaos (Native)
-Gravestompers: Zombie (OUYA)
-Grand Theft Auto III (Native/Moga)
-IttleDew (OUYA)
-Modern Combat 4 (Moga)
-Muffin Knight (OUYA/Moga)
-N.O.V.A. 3 (Moga)
-Order & Chaos Online (OUYA)
-Ravensword: Shadowlands (OUYA)
-Riptide GP (Native/Moga)
-Riptide GP 2 (Native)
-RushBrothers (OUYA)
-Shadowgun THD (Native/Moga)
-Shadowgun: DeadZone (Native/Moga)
-Sonic 4: Episode I (Native/Moga)
-Sonic 4: Episode II (Native)
-Spectral Souls (Native)
-Symphony of Eternity (Native)
-Wild Blood (Moga)
-Zen Pinball HD (Native/Moga)
-Zombie Driver (Native)

OUYA: Games in the works.
[Some games are touch only. Working on touch profiles.]
-Bladeslinger (Tincore Keymapper)
-Iron Man 3 (Tincore Keymapper)
-Zombie (Gameloft) (Tincore Keymapper)
-Soulcraft THD (Attempting to get past loading screen)

Favorite Game Developers
-Gameloft
-Vector Unit
-Madfinger Games
-Kerosene Games
-High Voltage Software, Inc
-HyperDevbox Studio
-MobileBits GmbH
-Crescent Moon Games
-nWay

watson387
07-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Wow dude! You got this shite rocking!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

RiotingSpectre
07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
I look forward to your post, Wraith. On a side note, you should probably make this into a column instead. Ask Eddie if you're interested.

Moonlight
07-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Hopefully you get the Ouya working that well!

Wraith_Vague
07-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Hopefully you get the Ouya working that well!

So far its working very well as I have it with the entire list of working games, with still more room to spare if I find some more high quality, high graphic, large game titles to install. I still have 60 GB left on my external drive that I was thinking about loading music on for XBMC. Part of that space will be partitioned off though into an EXT4 in order to do some testing with Link2SD again. I was not impressed before when the OUYA games stopped working when the APK was moved to the EXT4 partition and symlinked. If OUYA ever gets the EXT3 and EXT4 partitions to auto mount, I will start some testing on a complete 500GB formatted EXT4 drive. The reason being, the space problem could be resolved in a few small mods if symlinks could be created at system level. That means through command-line, removing /data/app as an example (where all the APKs are installed) and replacing it with symlink of something like /data/app --> /storage/sdcard1/Android/app. Basically if symlinks worked correctly, it would be set and forget. Everytime an app installed, all of its components would be placed on the external without needing any other apps like Folder Mount, App2SD, or Link2SD playing middleman. It would be done at the system level.

jbrodack
07-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I disagree about needing console quality games and considering gameloft games to be what Ouya should aspire to. I'm happy with the quirky indie games. However, I do commend you for doing something and getting the Ouya to work how you want instead of just complaining. Being an open system Ouya people would have no problem with what you are doing.

Using google play and external hard drive as sdcard are what most interests me.

Wraith_Vague
07-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I disagree about needing console quality games and considering gameloft games to be what Ouya should aspire to. I'm happy with the quirky indie games. However, I do commend you for doing something and getting the Ouya to work how you want instead of just complaining. Being an open system Ouya people would have no problem with what you are doing.

I just don't want to see this little console fail. It isn't making large strides at all since it came out. Even before retail launch. I imagine the hardware/software isn't much different than the dev units or the kickstarter backer units. Spend some time reading article comments on the web and tell me what you think. Read about all the hatred for this little console. Some people make a good point. If you can play a game on your phone or your tablet, then what's the point in spending $99 on an android "console"? They however have made the mistake of thinking that they are somehow not wasting money on that $500 retail smart phone with the 2 yr contract.

The whole point is to bring all these HD games to the TV in all their glory with a real controller in your hand and not a tiny lame touchscreen. Other people go...well I can hook my tablet up to the TV and do the same thing. Yeah you can. You can hook up that $300 - $700 tablet to your TV....and then get lower frame rates because Android has to run the small screen and push video out to the big screen at the same time. Proven that there is a huge performance hit.

I guess all im saying is there is a lot of people against the OUYA and I think we should show them what it can really do. I don't think indie games are bad. But Im certainly not going to play a game of A Bit of a Fist of Awesome. That's not even 8 bit. I don't know what the hell that is.

JerTM
07-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm liking the indie games, but I would like to see this little cube put throgh it's paces with good games. Thanks for pioneering for us Wraith.

Emanuel Burgos
07-28-2013, 10:46 PM
As I mentioned before in another post, I have been able to duplicate a lot of your settings by looking at your profile/signature with the addition of adding a second portable hard drive to my USB hub (I have one hard drive for games and my other hard drive for XBMC). I love it how you have been able to maximize your Ouya and I've been trying to do the same.

Consequently, I'm curious about your Moga Pro settings. Did you have to do anything special to get your Moga to work? Once you got it working, is it just a simple question of downloading Moga compatible games (like Asphalt 7) from the Play Store and they just simply work or are there tricks that you have to perform? I would love to play Asphalt 7 and some of the other games you mentioned and would be willing to invest in a Moga Pro gamepad but I want to know first if there are any tricks that I have to perform.

Secondly, I'm also curious how you turned off Ouya updates. I've read that in settings, there's a section to do it but once you turn it off and then on, your Ouya goes back to default setting (i.e.automatic updates). Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wraith_Vague
07-28-2013, 11:25 PM
As I mentioned before in another post, I have been able to duplicate a lot of your settings by looking at your profile/signature with the addition of adding a second portable hard drive to my USB hub (I have one hard drive for games and my other hard drive for XBMC). I love it how you have been able to maximize your Ouya and I've been trying to do the same.

Consequently, I'm curious about your Moga Pro settings. Did you have to do anything special to get your Moga to work? Once you got it working, is it just a simple question of downloading Moga compatible games (like Asphalt 7) from the Play Store and they just simply work or are there tricks that you have to perform? I would love to play Asphalt 7 and some of the other games you mentioned and would be willing to invest in a Moga Pro gamepad but I want to know first if there are any tricks that I have to perform.

Secondly, I'm also curious how you turned off Ouya updates. I've read that in settings, there's a section to do it but once you turn it off and then on, your Ouya goes back to default setting (i.e.automatic updates). Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The Moga Pro works great...that is when the system isn't overheating. I think that may be the problem anyway. Or the Moga itself has a shorter range. I ran some tests today with long play periods of high graphic games and eventually the moga has trouble connecting to the OUYA and the WIFI also stops working. I really need to get the board out of the case and build it a new one. Probably replace the stock cooler with a new one with a little arctic silver 5 thermal compound. No different than I would treat one of my gaming computers.

I just downloaded the Moga Pivot app and side loaded it. I don't think that the OUYA can see it in the Google Play store. You can also pick up the Moga Universal Driver from the play store which will extend its abilities. There really aren't any settings to do, it just knows theres a Moga and shows you which Moga supported games you have installed. Can launch them from the Pivot app too. It tells you which mode the power switch on the Moga needs to be in. Whether its green (most games) or orange (HID Keyboard mode) type games. When in HID mode, the Moga works just like the OUYA controller.

So for the updates, I believe there are a couple ways to not receive updates. One seems to be using a different launcher which I already do. But occasionally Im going to have to load the OUYA launcher to go look for new games. From my understanding Android uses Build.Prop under /system to identify the particular hardware where it lives and also where it's updates will be coming from. I opened up Build.Prop in a Root Explorer text editor and commented out the line that has the update address in it with a # sign at the beginning of the line. When you make changes, the program automatically makes a backup of the original file.

Emanuel Burgos
07-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Thanks Wraith_Vague! Fantastic guidance! I will pursue those recommendations. Keep your tips and hacking mods coming.

Wraith_Vague
07-29-2013, 01:03 AM

Getting Google Play Store working and having the hard drive show up as an sdcard in the storage settings is really easy to do. I've posted details about them in other threads. Both of these mods get broken after an OUYA update, but its super easy to put it all back because it just requires a file edit for the storage and the Google Play Store never really gets wiped out because its installed into the system apps. What does get wiped out is the data apps where the Xposed framework is. Its simple to install it back and then add the mod. If you want to know more just hit me up.

Emanuel Burgos
07-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Getting Google Play Store working and having the hard drive show up as an sdcard in the storage settings is really easy to do. I've posted details about them in other threads. Both of these mods get broken after an OUYA update, but its super easy to put it all back because it just requires a file edit for the storage and the Google Play Store never really gets wiped out because its installed into the system apps. What does get wiped out is the data apps where the Xposed framework is. Its simple to install it back and then add the mod. If you want to know more just hit me up.

Last time that Ouya updated, I found myself reinstalling several things including Google Play Store because I was under the impression that I had to. It was a hassle. However, are you saying that I only need to re-install Xposed? What mod do I need to add?

NssOne
07-29-2013, 03:07 AM
I've already done pretty close to what you did but focused on becoming a mini HTPC/internet-based DVR system. My setup goes like this:

-Obviously rooted
-Trebuchet launcher (I just like how it looked on my older tablets with AOKP ROMs so I stuck with it)
-Ouya controller, PS3 controller, bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo
-7-port powered USB Hub
-360 wireless dongle + official wireless 360 controller
-1TB Seagate Expansion
-Paragon for Android automatically mounts at boot to /mnt/usbdrive (which Ouya uses by default) or it can mount to a different folder if so selected, no manual file editing
-I have XBMC loaded and configured with my external drive to watch my movies and TV shows
-I already have Genesis and TG-16 ROMs, but also game files for Android ports of the Quake series and OpenBOR modules
-A ton of PSX isos
-tTorrent Pro for torrents
-PowerNZB for newsgroup downloading and Sick Beard server (comes with PowerNZB) for grabbing NZBs and downloading most movies or TV shows I watch
-I also use Samba share to (slowly) transfer files to the Ouya's internal memory over WiFi so I don't have to connect it to my PC through USB

Not much more to say about it off the top of my head when comparing it to your configuration. I like what I have because it's slowly replacing my PC and my main media station. I'm working on building up a 2nd setup like this so it can be used in my living room.

Frank Bouwens
07-29-2013, 01:18 PM
What is exactly the project?

- Making a list of apps that work?
- Fixing stuff that does not work?
- Investigate what works and what not?

(I'm making a Launcher that I think is better than the Stock Launcher,
would that be a part of your project as well?)

aFriendNamed5
07-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Couple of questions:

1) Did you format your HDD to anything special or just NTFS?
2) Can you give a quick guide on the steps you took to get your HDD working? I've tried other guides but not getting very far.
3) Have you tried the game 'Horn'? Really would love to play this on OUYA and it'd make great use of the T3.

madmax2069
07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
So far my system has not overheated once, and its mainly been running since the day I got it. Played it hours on end in a room that's reaching over 100F, the hottest my system has ever got was around 160F and that's when its playing a game, at idle its cool as can be, in xbmc while playing a movie its still cool, all in a stock case (unmodded).

I'm not sure but if your system is overheating then something could be wrong with your system.

Michael Shields
07-29-2013, 05:27 PM
WD 1.5TB My Passport Portable Hard Drive

would this work??????????

Wraith_Vague
07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
What is exactly the project?

- Making a list of apps that work?
- Fixing stuff that does not work?
- Investigate what works and what not?

(I'm making a Launcher that I think is better than the Stock Launcher,
would that be a part of your project as well?)

I root for the underdog. I want to see this succeed by any means necessary. I don't bother with a project unless I'm passionate about it. I love this little box. Look at it as me attacking one area of the OUYA potential while you and others are attacking other sides. Eventually we will all have a Super OUYA that eats naysayers for breakfast.

I guess I'm just trying to either fix or fill in the weaknesses of the system. I have too many negative things that I've read rolling around in my head and I suppose that I'm on a mission to prove them wrong. In order to do that I think it will be necessary to show what the system can do. I just fail to see where most of the OUYA store will ever be able to show it off with titles that are better left on a phone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking indie games. I really like stuff like Dub Wars and Beat Bros, but there are some things on there that might as well be Atari or NES. There is nothing wrong with that and everyone loves a little nostalgia, but it does nothing to prove to the masses that the OUYA can be more than a tablet in a box. We do what we can with what we have and the hardware is basically that. Except that the quad core doesn't have to switch to the 5th battery saver core and it doesn't have to have a frame rate drop from powering video to 2 screens at the same time.

My project is simply this....I want a modern console feel on a box just a little bigger than a Rubiks Cube. I want to try to beat back the negativity and help this little thing survive. Because right now I really don't feel that there is much coming out of OUYA themselves except positive PR. Dreams don't keep things alive. Only action. They should really use all of us to help. Some dev's wonder why their stuff isn't selling very well on OUYA. I remember reading about Oregon Trail. The only thing I can think and this may sound mean...but "here's your sign". It's Oregon Trail. We have console quality titles available with immersive storylines and graphics. But certain developers like Gameloft didn't get to where they are now by taking risks and this is essentially what the OUYA is right now. Fortunately they have quite a few titles that run beautifully on the OUYA. And it isn't just Gameloft. There are other threads going on right now about Riptide GP 2. Its gorgeous and runs amazing on the OUYA. It would be insanely easy for Vector Unit to put it in the OUYA store. Every game with native controller support wouldn't need much adaptation to toss a few graphical buttons on the screen to show how to control the game. But, are these devs really going to take the time or the effort when it already works perfectly?

Frank, your own project is proof of what community collaboration can do. You've come a long way in a short amount of time because you have had a community standing behind you giving constructive criticism, ideas for additions, and generally helping things along faster than a few corporate eggheads can do sitting in a room brainstorming. I've been watching your project for a long time. I have an earlier version installed and haven't gotten around to seeing if some of the new mock ups are fully in place yet. I don't even have the one sporting live wallpaper yet. I'll check out the latest version when I have time and may even eventually fully switch if it starts to match my vision. Right now my launcher is the best I can do with what I have until I check out your changes.

Couple of questions:

1) Did you format your HDD to anything special or just NTFS?
2) Can you give a quick guide on the steps you took to get your HDD working? I've tried other guides but not getting very far.
3) Have you tried the game 'Horn'? Really would love to play this on OUYA and it'd make great use of the T3.

Sadly Fat 32 seems to be the best to have the drive show up every time. It matches what most SD cards are naturally formatted to. Maybe its changed, but the last time I checked NTFS only had read only permissions and you couldn't mount it as read + write. For the things I do, its unacceptable that I cant move data natively to my external drive. Fat 32 allows the read/write, but has a 4 GB file size limit. Keep in mind nothing I have in place is set in stone. As soon as I find something better, I implement the changes.

I use root with Folder Mount to app analyze to see what is taking up the most space, then right there I can create a folder pair to SDCARD1 which is my USB drive and then move the data/obb files off. I'll edit my original post in certain areas to show the necessary changes, but I was really hoping to find something on the forum posting that could do collapsible code or something so that the post wasn't so huge.

As far as Horn, Ive been thinking about trying it out. Haven't yet though because I keep forgetting. I started this thread to keep myself on track and to let the community know what I'm working on. I get questions all the time on how to make stuff work even though I've got detailed posts elsewhere. I cant keep up with all the posts and I'm not mean enough to say go search the forums.

So far my system has not overheated once, and its mainly been running since the day I got it. Played it hours on end in a room that's reaching over 100F, the hottest my system has ever got was around 160F and that's when its playing a game, at idle its cool as can be, in xbmc while playing a movie its still cool, all in a stock case (unmodded).

I'm not sure but if your system is overheating then something could be wrong with your system.

I don't know for sure if the OUYA actually is overheating, but it seems to be a possibility as Ive read elsewhere and what Ive noticed over extended play time on high graphic games. I'm not really sure because I was really tired last night and suddenly found myself playing Zombie Driver THD for a couple hours. All I was doing was testing, but somehow got sucked into it...lol. My Moga never once disconnected over that extended play period and I was linking heat to the wonky controller (OUYA/Moga) issues Ive been seeing along with the WiFi magically disconnecting and not picking up any networks.

WD 1.5TB My Passport Portable Hard Drive

would this work??????????

I'm not really sure on this. Some things I've read, people cant get drives to show up over 1 TB. Another post I read on XDA indicates someone managed to get 2 TB working. I can't say much because I know at least with NTFS, I need to install Paragon to mount the drives I have because I'm not willing to wipe them to another format. I have a 1 TB HP drive and a 3 TB Seagate drive. So far I'm happy with my 500 GB Western Digital laptop drive as I have plans to make a new case to house the whole setup with a USB hub.

Last time that Ouya updated, I found myself reinstalling several things including Google Play Store because I was under the impression that I had to. It was a hassle. However, are you saying that I only need to re-install Xposed? What mod do I need to add?

It may require more testing to be certain, but in my messing around making changes, I've had to factory reset the OUYA multiple times. I was pleasantly surprised to be up and running with all of my changes in a matter of a few minutes because some of the APKs are still there, but not functioning due other pieces being wiped out. The last time I received an update, it was like a factory reset. But I was up and running in about 30 minutes or so because I figured everything was gone.

Hi, I try Ravensword, But don't work for me... It's say controller detect, but can't choose Yes or Not .. any idea?

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer TF101 en utilisant Tapatalk 4 Beta

You'll have to be more specific with what version you are using (Google, OUYA) and what controller you are using. If its the Moga, sometimes you just have to power on the OUYA controller for its built in touchpad.

I've already done pretty close to what you did but focused on becoming a mini HTPC/internet-based DVR system. My setup goes like this:

-Obviously rooted
-Trebuchet launcher (I just like how it looked on my older tablets with AOKP ROMs so I stuck with it)
-Ouya controller, PS3 controller, bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo
-7-port powered USB Hub
-360 wireless dongle + official wireless 360 controller
-1TB Seagate Expansion
-Paragon for Android automatically mounts at boot to /mnt/usbdrive (which Ouya uses by default) or it can mount to a different folder if so selected, no manual file editing
-I have XBMC loaded and configured with my external drive to watch my movies and TV shows
-I already have Genesis and TG-16 ROMs, but also game files for Android ports of the Quake series and OpenBOR modules
-A ton of PSX isos
-tTorrent Pro for torrents
-PowerNZB for newsgroup downloading and Sick Beard server (comes with PowerNZB) for grabbing NZBs and downloading most movies or TV shows I watch
-I also use Samba share to (slowly) transfer files to the Ouya's internal memory over WiFi so I don't have to connect it to my PC through USB

Not much more to say about it off the top of my head when comparing it to your configuration. I like what I have because it's slowly replacing my PC and my main media station. I'm working on building up a 2nd setup like this so it can be used in my living room.

I like what you have done. For the longest time I was infatuated with building a media PC in a case that could fit in an entertainment center, but there really is no point to it now that smaller devices like the OUYA are capable of doing everything we want. Personally I like the manual editing of the system so that it cuts out the middleman. Im not doing anything that I wouldn't do on a full Linux OS. I want to eventually get the apps moved automatically on install by replacing /data/apps with a symbolic link. Ive done it multiple times but something is wrong with the endpoint. I actually think an EXT4 formatted drive would be perfect if I can auto mount it on start as SDCARD1 without an app doing the work. Because that same app would be moved to storage too where its unable to perform the mount....essentially hosing all of the installed apps. I got smart and made a backup of /data/apps before creating the symbolic. OUYA just needs to fix their FS mounting crap so we don't have to put Band-Aids on everything.

-Please Don't Post Multiple Times In A Row And Instead Use The Edit Button-

NssOne
07-29-2013, 09:40 PM
I actually forgot to mention that Paragon for Android has full NTFS read/write support as well, hence why I can use a 1TB drive and I have a 11GB x264 1080p copy of the Twin Peaks movie on there right now. I haven't had a single issue with it yet and that's why I'm pushing Paragon as the 'band-aid' for people's external hard drives.

Wraith_Vague
07-29-2013, 09:46 PM
I actually forgot to mention that Paragon for Android has full NTFS read/write support as well, hence why I can use a 1TB drive and I have a 11GB x264 1080p copy of the Twin Peaks movie on there right now. I haven't had a single issue with it yet and that's why I'm pushing Paragon as the 'band-aid' for people's external hard drives.

How's the 1080p playback through XBMC? My copy of Grandma's Boy stutters. :( Oh the horror. I'll check Paragon out again. Had it for a little while but it wasn't doing what I wanted at the time.

Emanuel Burgos
07-29-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm not really sure on this. Some things I've read, people cant get drives to show up over 1 TB. Another post I read on XDA indicates someone managed to get 2 TB working. I can't say much because I know at least with NTFS, I need to install Paragon to mount the drives I have because I'm not willing to wipe them to another format. I have a 1 TB HP drive and a 3 TB Seagate drive. So far I'm happy with my 500 GB Western Digital laptop drive as I have plans to make a new case to house the whole setup with a USB hub.

I experimented with vold.fstab and two other pieces of software to see which one would give me the best results. The instructions for vold.fstab are found here:

http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1745/fix-for-usb-flash-or-hard-drive-not-supported

However, I found that my best solution was to change it to the following:

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2
#dev_mount usbdrive /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.2/usb2

I added the # on the second line. I added it there because while Ouya successfully loaded up my portable hard drive, it didn't give me write access to it without unmounting it and using another piece of software to remount it to give it write access. In addition, it only read 1 portable hard drive at a time and wouldn't allow me to read a second portable hard drive in my 7 port USB hub.

My solution was not complete until I installed Paragon exFAT, NTFS & HFS+ (from the Google Play Store). After I installed Paragon, I auto mounted my two portable 2TB hard drives (Western Digital).

From that point forward, I have read and write access to my NTFS hard drives which auto mount as soon as my Ouya starts and I'm good to go with my Folder Mount. My first 2TB hard drive has all my games and roms while my second one has XBMC installed and all my movies and pics. The best part is that I didn't have to mess around with partitions or reformatting my NTFS hard drives. Everything just works.

Hope my solution is helpful to someone else.

Wraith_Vague
07-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Hope my solution is helpful to someone else.

Glad you found something that works for you Emanuel. :) I'm trying to avoid using Paragon for my main project because I'm still working on getting the APKs off of the internal space. Im using about 2GB with installed games and apps of the 5 GB available while my USB drive handles the large game data. I'll be trying a method soon to automount an ext4 partition on my 500 GB drive and then symlink /data/app. I think the reason we don't have APP2SD support is because there is only one partition on the internal flash and only a symlink as the "SD Card" storage. SD Card lives on the same space as the system.

Aurélien Dispenza
07-29-2013, 11:21 PM
You'll have to be more specific with what version you are using (Google, OUYA) and what controller you are using. If its the Moga, sometimes you just have to power on the OUYA controller for its built in touchpad.

I use Google version with Ouya controller (vers. 1.26)

Thx for Your reply

Envoyé depuis mon Galaxy Nexus en utilisant Tapatalk 4 Beta

NssOne
07-30-2013, 01:17 AM
How's the 1080p playback through XBMC? My copy of Grandma's Boy stutters. :( Oh the horror. I'll check Paragon out again. Had it for a little while but it wasn't doing what I wanted at the time.

I've had little issue with 1080p playback. 720p works great, no issues. I was watching Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me in 1080p and only towards the end did a little bit of stuttering happen. I watched Spiderman 3 in 1080p a few weeks ago with an older build and only during some of the more intensive scenes did I notice any kind of stutter. So for most of what I plan on using it for I won't come across too many issues.

For XBMC you should make sure that you have the latest libstagefright version.

Wraith_Vague
07-30-2013, 02:53 AM
Well I guess I didn't fix the updates. Oh well. Turns out that I actually like this update. The networking does appear to be a lot snappier. However I'm stuck at my Moms staying the night in case she needs any help after a surgery she recently had. No laptop with me so I can't fix my root, Google store, or get my game data back. Stuck watching movies or playing OUYA titles. Yay for VLC!

Looking over the changes after system update, a few things are apparent.
-su exists in /system/xbin but the symlink for /system/bin is missing.
-/system/app gets written over in the update, but not in a factory reset. (Google Play)
-/system/etc/vold.fstab obviously gets written over, making USB mount normally.
-Super User and Xposed Framework appear unchanged.
-Safe to say that its normal procedure every time to fix it all.
-Wondering if putting su into /system/bin would make root permanent.

And the D.O.A. video game movie (watching while i write) seems like it was filmed by a low budget porno company and the dirty parts stripped out. The story makes that much sense.

NssOne
07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
After the latest update I rooted my Ouya again but the Play Store wouldn't work right off the bat. It had disappeared from the list of installed apps and even re-installing it didn't make it work again. I had to run this script (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2350639) again to get it to work. Probably had to change file permissions again to get it to work.

Wraith_Vague
07-30-2013, 03:37 PM
After the latest update I rooted my Ouya again but the Play Store wouldn't work right off the bat. It had disappeared from the list of installed apps and even re-installing it didn't make it work again. I had to run this script (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2350639) again to get it to work. Probably had to change file permissions again to get it to work.

Yeah I've gotten to where I just do it manually instead of running someone's script. Always felt it was better to the understand the whole process so you know what is wrong. I write scripts at work to make things faster, but most of the time I just stay command line so I don't get rusty. So I just copy over the APKs into /system/app, chmod 644, setup xposed, and call it a day.

NssOne
07-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Yeah I've gotten to where I just do it manually instead of running someone's script. Always felt it was better to the understand the whole process so you know what is wrong. I write scripts at work to make things faster, but most of the time I just stay command line so I don't get rusty. So I just copy over the APKs into /system/app, chmod 644, setup xposed, and call it a day.

I just ran the script since I'm lazy and I know it works. I can't run the Ouya Toolkit since for some reason my Win7 PC doesn't install .Net framework properly. But to reroot all I had to do was connect adb and followed the first few steps mounting /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP and copying su. Since Busybox and SuperUser stay installed after an update you just have to go into Ouya and run them again.

Wraith_Vague
07-30-2013, 04:09 PM
I just ran the script since I'm lazy and I know it works. I can't run the Ouya Toolkit since for some reason my Win7 PC doesn't install .Net framework properly. But to reroot all I had to do was connect adb and followed the first few steps mounting /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP and copying su. Since Busybox and SuperUser stay installed after an update you just have to go into Ouya and run them again.

Yeah I need to do that, but I'm stuck away from home without my laptop. Just been watching movies through Moonlights VLC since I can't fix anything without root. I've been researching the Gamestick. Going to buy one. Yes its about half the floating point operations of the OUYA, but at least they know how to design a professional UI and it has a proper sdcard slot supporting 32 GB. The docking station is attractive as well. I need a side project anyway. Retail should be rolling out in August.

NssOne
08-01-2013, 01:41 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=44163505%20[APP]Root%20My%20Ouya%20(root%20without%20PC)%20(8/1/2013)

Here you go, no need to connect adb now.

Warzard
08-02-2013, 12:12 AM
I hope the people at Ouya have talented, dedicated, techs like some of the guys in this thread, sadly I have doubts.:apologetic:

rosse119
08-02-2013, 01:19 PM
any pics of how this is coming along, sounds really cool

Wraith_Vague
08-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately I'm stuck at stock OUYA running only Frank's BAXY Launcher and my Wave live wallpaper because I cant stand the default launcher. Something happened with the last update and I ended up having to factory reset twice to get the OUYA fully functional again. Once I had it back to clean stock, I was unable to root it again because of a problem some other people have had.../system/xbin/su has been zeroed out. Its an empty file. It is impossible to get root on the system without another OUYA update that will over write /system/xbin or trying to get fastboot drivers working so that the system is recognized in Windows when its sitting at the recovery menu. This is what I am working on now since I have no interest at all in playing games while the system is not up to my standards.

I will be writing up a guide to everything I have researched and know so far in MS Word I guess. It will keep my tinker urges busy with research. So far my research has let me to find that apparently the OUYA uses the same fastboot drivers as the Nexus 7. Also I found out how to take screenshots of the OUYA through ADB and also to take some choppy video using a java applet that reads the framebuffer through ADB.

Anyway. When I'm ready to flash the system through fastboot, Ill probably throw Stock Plus on it and be done with it. It has a lot of improvements over the stock OUYA image. I also found a download listing of all of the stock image updates OUYA has been putting out complete with update notes. So I will be able to flash the OUYA back to the latest stock at any time because I have the actual image file. After I fix this, Ill go ahead and put CWM on it as well, because the OUYA stock recovery is stupid limited. Nothing like other android devices. Basically I cant even get CWM installed without root. Which means either waiting for OUYA's next update...or just fixing this myself and writing a guide.

Original Post updated with a little bit of information about the guide Im working on.

Zehrfox
08-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Wraith_Vague - I love what you accomplished here, truly impressive!, and I am very jealous. You managed to get the Ouya in the state I had hoped to have mine in, but I lack the knowledge and capabilities that you have. I agree with you regarding AAA titles on Ouya, they show off the graphic capabilities and will attract a lot of console users. I also like the indie games like - Inferno+ - simpler than a Gameloft game, but a ton of fun, on a pure gameplay level, and the graphics are sharp and crisp, like a high end Vector graphic - reminds me of my old Vectrex system. The indie games and others will attract another type of user, both are valid and important. I want to play them all personally!

My Ultimate Ouya would be very similar to yours, with just a few changes:
* I would want MAME (newest/best Possible) running on it as well as some of the other emulators
* I would prefer a front end like "Nostalgia" for all my emu's (including MAME) - I use Mala as my frontend on my mini mame cab (18" tall)
* I want to store all my movies, music, etc on a network share - but access them thru XBMC (which I currently have working)

I have a few questions, that I hope you can answer for me:
1. Do you know if the one click apks work well? - like one click root, and the mod collection one? - They would be easier for a novice like me, would the end result be similar to yours?
2. Can you play 1080p movies - like blu ray rips in XBMC without stutter? - I get slight stutter every few seconds - I tried multiple files, all stutter -connected to Ethernet (not wifi) - any help?
3. How easy is it to re-enable the root and fixes above after an update? - just run them again, and everything is good?
4. Also, trying to replace Cable as much as possible - do you have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube all working well? with controller?
5. Can I get Ouya to boot into XBMC, and exit out to access other areas - like games, etc?
6. Can I use my phone or tablet as a remote and control XBMC on Ouya?
7. More Storage thru USB is the most urgent need (for me and others), can this be done without root? can it put into an apk for novices to run?
8. How soon will your guide be completed, any parts you can post now, that will help me (and others)?

A lot of questions, but I think others will benefit as well - if you have the time, I would greatly appreciate your assistance :)

Wraith_Vague
08-08-2013, 07:15 PM
I have a few questions, that I hope you can answer for me:

1. Do you know if the one click apks work well? - like one click root, and the mod collection one? - They would be easier for a novice like me, would the end result be similar to yours?

Yes it would appear that the new one-click root APK that is out there has been tested successfully and works well. The mod collection for Xposed framework works well too. The standard setup now is a collection of easy to install/manage stuff that others have been slowly building on. The main thing is root. After that...you are only limited by your imagination and the available tools. I installed CWM and Stock Plus rom because I got tired of the trivial updates wiping out my work. IncognitoMan has done a fantastic job of baking all of this standard stuff into his ROM and I get to choose when I feel like updating. Installing his updates wont wipe out your system changes because they are already baked in.

2. Can you play 1080p movies - like blu ray rips in XBMC without stutter? - I get slight stutter every few seconds - I tried multiple files, all stutter -connected to Ethernet (not wifi) - any help?
Reports seem to vary on the current state of 1080p movies in XBMC. I've seen where some stutter and some don't. Could be a codec problem or it could just be that the XBMC team is still working on code optimizations. As for the Ethernet...you would think it would be faster than WiFi...but before the last few updates I tested my OUYA. I was getting about half the speed over the cable as WiFi.

3. How easy is it to re-enable the root and fixes above after an update? - just run them again, and everything is good?
It is very easy. The first time my stuff was wiped out, it took me about 30 minutes or so to fix it all. Some of what you setup stays behind and may just need to be activated again. I would suggest getting good at the setup and fixing stuff...and then switch to Stock Plus Rom so your time can be freed up working on other things without having to fix your stuff.

4. Also, trying to replace Cable as much as possible - do you have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube all working well? with controller?
I don't use Hulu or Amazon Prime, but I suppose I could test them out. As for Netflix and YouTube...Netflix works great except for the controller navigation. It's pretty clunky and its difficult to scroll categories of videos. I'd probably use a keyboard on it. YouTube loads for me, but that's it. It used to actually play videos, but for some reason it doesn't now. Just stays on a black vid screen with no loading. It's on the todo list.

5. Can I get Ouya to boot into XBMC, and exit out to access other areas - like games, etc?
Yep we have an app in the OUYA store already that should work for that. You may be able to tell Boot to start XBMC on load. You can exit out of XBMC anytime with the controller.

6. Can I use my phone or tablet as a remote and control XBMC on Ouya?
Sure. Blueboard turns your phone or tablet into a Bluetooth keyboard. We have the server part in the OUYA store and you can get the client for your phone or tablet on Google Play. Used it a few times to type directly into a terminal window on my OUYA. There is also an app called Droidmote on Google Play. It consists of a server and client also that allows you to use multiple touch interfaces such as controller, media remote, etc to control the end device. There is the official XBMC app also that allows you to control all features of XBMC and choose videos to play directly from your smartphone or tablet.

7. More Storage thru USB is the most urgent need (for me and others), can this be done without root? can it put into an apk for novices to run?
At this time getting more storage cannot be done without root because it requires changes to the system in order to move the game data off to an external drive and have the game still work. Most of us have already solved the Google Play large game data problem, but the OUYA doesn't usually use data/obb files in it's game ports...with the exception of Gamelofts recent release to OUYA. The current real storage problem is the /data/app and similar directories where the OUYA games are installed. This is where you will find games like Ravensword: Shadowlands weighing in at a hefty 500 MB. I am almost done working on a system level fix for this that doesn't require Link2SD.

8. How soon will your guide be completed, any parts you can post now, that will help me (and others)?
My brain is all over the place. I jump from fix to fix and fix to guide. I spend many hours of my free time doing massive research to make sure things are accurate and that fixes will work. In short, I honestly don't know when it will be completed, but yes I do have some of it I could post. Between having a full time job and my current situation with a family member needing care after a recent surgery...I try to get as much done as possible.

Zehrfox
08-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Wraith_Vague - Thanks for your replies, I truly appreciate your time and guidance. I especially like, that you addressed each question, so often, people reply to just one question or part of a post. Sorry to hear of your family member's surgery, I hope recover is going well for them, and I know that can be hard on everyone involved (time,stress,worry, errands,etc.). In respect for your time, I will do my best to keep this post short. If I knew when the official update (mentioned by Julie) to fix USB was coming out, I would just wait for that, because, I think that would get me pretty much where I need to be. If I could sideload all the big games I want, and have room for all EMU's and ROMs, I would be pretty happy. Just need to figure out the stutter on XBMC or wait for their "Official" release as well (ETA Please!). Just so you know my knowledge level to answer the questions below, I have worked in IT for over 20 years, I'm very comfortable with PCs, HDs, sideloading. I did root one cell phone before (following a guide), and I did install google apps on my Kindle Fire HD (using a guide) - I am just a novice at rooting and related tasks, never used ADB, Busybox, custom roms, etc.

I just have (3) questions:
1. Would you recommend me (a novice) to use the one click root and mod collection or wait for the official USB fix?
2. If I do root, etc. Are there other steps (like a backup, etc.) I should do too? or just run those (2) APKs and then start sideloading ?
3. I have a Moga Controller, one that holds a cell phone. How do I get it setup and working on the Ouya? (just use the browser to DL pivot app and run it?)

BTW - You and your work are AWESOME! - I really cannot wait to get my Ouya setup like yours and then show it off! - A lot of my fence sitting friends will jump to buy one then :) - With respect - Zehrfox.

timmytot666
08-08-2013, 09:48 PM
I would wait for the official release of usb. I havnt had a problem with storage yet. Also xbmc is hoping for an official ouya release soon.

Hulu works for youtube you gotta sideload google login framework and you can sign into your. Google account. I recommend youtube for google tv built in control acceptance.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Moga should be able to pair with pivot app :-)

Zehrfox
08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks timmy!

1. Can I sideload google framework without root? - I thought it was like the play store - you need root first, then play store, etc..
2. With Moga - just DL the app, run it, it bluetooth pairs, then it just works all the time? or do I have to run any apps or pair each time I power up the Ouya?
3. How do you determine which controller is player 1 or 2, I have only used the Ouya controller so far?
4. I bought a knock off / generic PS3 controller from Meritline that is USB hard wired, can I just plug it in as another controller?

* BTW - I am not a numbered list fanatic, it just makes it easier to respond with answers - I think anyway :)

Wraith_Vague
08-09-2013, 12:53 AM
1. Would you recommend me (a novice) to use the one click root and mod collection or wait for the official USB fix?
I don't wait for anything, but I understand most people aren't me. You can do what you want as I understand there are others hesitant to root their OUYAs. Nothing wrong with getting the most out of your system. Not sure why root has become such a bad word. With the new root apk and the playstore/xposed mod, you could be up and running in a few minutes.

2. If I do root, etc. Are there other steps (like a backup, etc.) I should do too? or just run those (2) APKs and then start sideloading ?
It's up to you. I know people are afraid of bricking their devices, but I haven't seen anything that would do that yet. Root doesn't = brick. I didn't have a backup for the longest time until my new setup. That is because I flashed a different ROM. You can brick if something happens like a power outage during a flash. Root, sideload, have fun. When you're ready to fastboot CWM, let me know.

3. I have a Moga Controller, one that holds a cell phone. How do I get it setup and working on the Ouya? (just use the browser to DL pivot app and run it?)
I have the Moga Pro. If you don't plan on installing Google Play, just grab the Moga Pivot APK and side load it. Go through its steps to connect the controller like you would on a phone.
--------------------------------

1. Can I sideload google framework without root? - I thought it was like the play store - you need root first, then play store, etc..
You can, but it will not actually run without the rest of the fixes. The fix that gets Google Play Store running is the Xposed Framework and the Xposed Modules. Xposed has to make a small system modification and the majority of these apps need elevated privileges and access to higher command functions added by BusyBox. This is all normal. Most people don't realize they are working on a stripped down version of Linux that doesn't have any of its normal abilities.

2. With Moga - just DL the app, run it, it bluetooth pairs, then it just works all the time? or do I have to run any apps or pair each time I power up the Ouya?
Paired all the time. Just turn it on and go. If the OUYA controller is also on, Ive noticed there may be some lag or overlap like they are both trying to use the same channel or something. And sometimes the OUYA controller will have 2 lights on it instead of 1.

3. How do you determine which controller is player 1 or 2, I have only used the Ouya controller so far?
Im guessing the OUYA controllers have a way to sort themselves out. Not so much on the Moga + OUYA controllers. When playing Wild Blood, I can drop the MOGA and pick up the OUYA and keep on playing. The OUYA controllers have 4 lights at the top so you know which player you are.

4. I bought a knock off / generic PS3 controller from Meritline that is USB hard wired, can I just plug it in as another controller?
Wired controllers seem to work just fine. Its only the wireless ones that take some work. Not the PS3 one I don't think, but the XBOX360 controller needs the PC wireless dongle plugged in. A wired 360 controller works right off the bat.

Zehrfox
08-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks again for your prompt and complete answers! - I am REALLY tempted to root my Ouya this weekend and start enjoying all the games, etc.. I do have 2 follow up questions (I would say final, but I will probably have more :) ).

1. If I run the root APK and the mod collection one here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2359390 - then I just need the foldermount app to setup my 160GB USB drive - (Am I correct?)
2. If I root, etc and then later on the official USB fix comes out, can I get back to stock or the way it was before root? (is this where I will need a previous backup or image using CWM?)

Wraith_Vague
08-09-2013, 04:12 PM
1. If I run the root APK and the mod collection one here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2359390 - then I just need the foldermount app to setup my 160GB USB drive - (Am I correct?)
You'll need more than just that mod collection to get Google Play up and running, you'll need the actual Xposed framework apk too. Its the Xposed Installer download on the framework link. The mod is just a plugin that you can turn on/off through the framework. Folder Mount will allow you to move anything in your internal sdcard to the external drive, but its not much help outside of the sdcard. The free version only allows 3 links so its worth it to buy it through the app interface to unlock more links. Its really good for moving those huge graphical google play games that create obb and data files, the hyperdevbox folder that the hyperdev RPGs create, and the data that Gamelofts Order & Chaos game creates that they just brought to the OUYA.

2. If I root, etc and then later on the official USB fix comes out, can I get back to stock or the way it was before root? (is this where I will need a previous backup or image using CWM?)
You won't have any problems "getting back to stock". Every update wipes your system changes. But it doesn't wipe out any games or apps. What this means is that you will lose root and the app process change that Xposed has to do to get Play Store working and the Play Store APKs that had to be added to /system/app. You'll end up getting good at fixing stuff after every update. Im not sure what this "USB Fix" is going to be, but it isn't going to be the Holy Grail everyone is expecting. I really don't think anyway. It could be for me. The OUYA needs to perfectly auto mount EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 USB drives. If it would do that...you wouldn't need an app off the google play store to mount the drives or write scripts to auto mount them. You also wouldn't need an app to move your stuff off to the drive. Id already have my system level solution in place then if they get auto mounting Linux drives. I don't like relying on apps especially when its the apps Im working on moving.

Zehrfox
08-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks again, you have been extremely helpful in getting my Ouya setup the way that I want. Time permitting, I will try to root and get the USB drive working this weekend. We are having family and friends over, I would love to show this off! My nephews will go nuts!

Have an awesome weekend ! :)

Wraith - You got me salivating over here.... you completed the USB fix! - Wow! - Can you share it, provide some details, I assume root is needed?

Sincerely,
You biggest fan - (ok, I gave myself that title :) , but I truly do admire your skill and the fact that you share your info, and answer questions)

-Merged. Please Use The Edit Button Next Time-

Emanuel Burgos
08-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Wraith - You got me salivating over here.... you completed the USB fix! - Wow! - Can you share it, provide some details, I assume root is needed?

Sincerely,
You biggest fan - (ok, I gave myself that title :) , but I truly do admire your skill and the fact that you share your info, and answer questions)

If you are already rooted and preferably have the Play Store already installed, then please check out the linked post below and read entry #6 (Wraith's posts and signature profile set me on the right path):

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5178-USB-HDD-Problem

For rooting, please read here:

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5147-OUYA-One-Click-Driver-ROOT-Superuser-BusyBox-Sideloading-USB-Fix!

For installing the Play Store, follow this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2350639

Good luck!

Wraith_Vague
08-11-2013, 04:34 AM

Sincerely,

No big skill. Just Unix/Linux knowledge. Android still carries some very basic abilities that will make this possible. Unfortunately it still requires some testing that I'm doing now. The problem is with keeping the drive mounted by the system. It needs to mount every single time without fail. There are other ways to do this with APKs, but I don't care to rely on a middleman when the system should be doing its job. It took me most of a day to move all my game data over to a drive for testing, only to find out it wouldn't show up. Ive had it work nicely before, but the space I set aside was too small for my purposes. Now that Im going big, Im running into some problems. I should know more by tomorrow. What I found was some kind of anomaly that Im trying to duplicate in testing.

Basically if my drive would stay mounted....Id already be done with this. But because the OUYA is so damned finicky about what it mounts and what it doesn't, it requires testing. Out of 2 drives, Ive had one work fine and the one I wanted to use not work. I have to figure out what made the first one work now.

I can easily replace any need for Link2SD. Already done it. Folder Mount will be an issue because Im pretty sure it uses directory bind mounts which have to be mounted everytime the system boots. That could probably be easily fixed with a simple init.d script. What I hate about Link2SD and Folder Mount is how messy they are in the system. Anybody that runs Folder Mount can do a DF command on their system and see all the individual crap that it fills the system with.

simple-smile
08-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Wow. Give the man a job, I'd be very happy if some of those 8.5 million dollars ended up with you...

Wraith_Vague
08-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow. Give the man a job, I'd be very happy if some of those 8.5 million dollars ended up with you...

Whoah now, thats just crazy talk. ;) I wouldnt be doing anything that isnt already an ability of every linux distro on the planet. Mind you the fix would be out of the realm of normal Android operation, but as long as the drive was mounted, it would be a complete and automatic solution. Same thing that Link2SD does, but without the app and on a larger scale.

simple-smile
08-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Well, I'm not saying you're doing witchcraft, I'm just saying you're interested in doing stuff that is needed, you're able to do it, and you actually do it. That's 3 steps, and many people fail on any those 3 steps.
Apart from the possibility that something technical/ legal/ businessy makes OUYA inc not do it, the only other reason not do it would be any of the three steps.
And there, you come in. :)

Zehrfox
08-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Wraith - Is your USB fix ready yet? have you completed your testing? Also, will this require root to work?

Wraith_Vague
08-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Wraith - Is your USB fix ready yet? have you completed your testing? Also, will this require root to work?

Nope. I keep running into problems. Mainly the fact that the OUYA wont auto mount different filesystems. I hope their "USB Fix" is getting stuff to actually mount without manually doing it yourself. Also it takes me forever to format or move partitions for linux systems using a quad-core Linux virtual machine with 2 GB of ram. Running on a sissy Core i3 Laptop. To make things faster Ill have to change the way Im doing things. I had it working once. But soon as I changed a few things, I started having sleepless nights staying up to get it working again. I actually crashed for 12 hours last night. :-/ I'll get back on it tonight.

lartomar2002
08-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Nope. I keep running into problems. Mainly the fact that the OUYA wont auto mount different filesystems. I hope their "USB Fix" is getting stuff to actually mount without manually doing it yourself. Also it takes me forever to format or move partitions for linux systems using a quad-core Linux virtual machine with 2 GB of ram. Running on a sissy Core i3 Laptop. To make things faster Ill have to change the way Im doing things. I had it working once. But soon as I changed a few things, I started having sleepless nights staying up to get it working again. I actually crashed for 12 hours last night. :-/ I'll get back on it tonight.
I am afraid we may be waiting a long time on Ouya coming out with a "USB Fix" because many people are reporting their usb port is not holding snug on the USB drives they plug in. If I understand correctly if you do not properly unmount a drive you can lose or corrupt everything on it. So if you move your Ouya around and the usb drive accidentally becomes unplugged then you are screwed. This would then open Ouya to even more criticism and other problems.

Wraith_Vague
08-14-2013, 12:20 AM
I am afraid we may be waiting a long time on Ouya coming out with a "USB Fix" because many people are reporting their usb port is not holding snug on the USB drives they plug in. If I understand correctly if you do not properly unmount a drive you can lose or corrupt everything on it. So if you move your Ouya around and the usb drive accidentally becomes unplugged then you are screwed. This would then open Ouya to even more criticism and other problems.

Good chance of losing data if the drive format is Fat or EXT2 formatted as they dont have Journaling. NTFS, EXT3 and EXT4 all have a journal.

---
Well I just got home from work. Looked at my wonderful drive partitioning in my virtual and saw that it was still going after and additional 12 hours. Not really. It had locked up the entire laptop with 46 hours remaining. Something went wrong. Lol. Oh well. Its time to dual boot now or run a live CD of Linux. I really hate windows 8 on this laptop anyway. Im going to update my OP here in a bit after I get settled in with what my plans are. At this rate it its going to take forever. Its not just an issue with the drives mounting, but with cross device linking. If its not setup exactly right, it appears Android will give you the finger and refuse to move files to the external drive from the system area. Like I said before...had it working beautifully once. But now that Im trying to go to a larger space, Im having some issues. Namely it takes forever to get a drive ready for testing with my current methods.

---
Main post updated. Digest all that while I get a new Linux setup working. I will finish this regardless of what it takes.

Merged your posts. Use the edit button next time. Thank you.

lartomar2002
08-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Good chance of losing data if the drive format is Fat or EXT2 formatted as they dont have Journaling. NTFS, EXT3 and EXT4 all have a journal.
Thanks for the info looks like I will be reformatting. In your OP you said you will be writing instructions on how to do all the things you are doing which is great but please dumb it down for us technically challenged.

Zehrfox
08-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Wraith - I am tired of waiting on Ouya, I would like to try and root my Ouya so that I can use a HD for app storage (like you have). Unless, you are close on your USB fix and it doesn't require root?

Here are the steps that I think, I need to do, please elaborate and correct me if I'm wrong, or suggest any better/easier way :)

1. Root the Ouya using the apk here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2387507
2. Run Mod Collection apk here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2359390 - ( I think this installs the Xposed framework, and if I hit the button - the Google Play Store too)? Can you confirm?
3. Using Google Play store, download and install the app - Foldermount (anything else here? settings, etc..?)
4. Connect my 160GB laptop HD, formatted NTFS (is that ok?) via the USB port on the Ouya
5. Using Foldermount - assign a folder on the USB drive to android\data? - I am really not sure about this step? - can you insert a section of your guide here?
6. Install sideloaded apks and point them to the USB drive - How do I direct them to the USB HDD - exactly?

Please add anything else you would recommend, and remember I'm pretty new at this, so if you could have each step spelled out - That will help me a lot :)

Emanuel Burgos
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Wraith - I am tired of waiting on Ouya, I would like to try and root my Ouya so that I can use a HD for app storage (like you have). Unless, you are close on your USB fix and it doesn't require root?

Here are the steps that I think, I need to do, please elaborate and correct me if I'm wrong, or suggest any better/easier way :)

1. Root the Ouya using the apk here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2387507
2. Run Mod Collection apk here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2359390 - ( I think this installs the Xposed framework, and if I hit the button - the Google Play Store too)? Can you confirm?
3. Using Google Play store, download and install the app - Foldermount (anything else here? settings, etc..?)
4. Connect my 160GB laptop HD, formatted NTFS (is that ok?) via the USB port on the Ouya
5. Using Foldermount - assign a folder on the USB drive to android\data? - I am really not sure about this step? - can you insert a section of your guide here?
6. Install sideloaded apks and point them to the USB drive - How do I direct them to the USB HDD - exactly?

Please add anything else you would recommend, and remember I'm pretty new at this, so if you could have each step spelled out - That will help me a lot :)

You're going to need an app that automounts your hard drive for full read and write access. I would recommend Paragon from the Play Store. I have been using Paragon to automount two 2TB portable hard drives and I use FolderMount to install the games on one of those portable drives.

Wraith_Vague
08-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Zerhfox

Everything worth doing in Linux requires root. Its no different than becoming an admin on your
windows computer. To a point. Emanuel's way is your best bet for a windows formatted setup. It just won't work for what I'm doing. I'm phasing out windows partitions and the need for middleman apps. Unless of course there is an app that can run under the system directory and as a service. Because I'm moving the entire /data/apps off to external. That's the OUYAs main problem. For now Folder Mount will have to be used for the side loaded game data. But if you don't solve the internal space problem, the APKs will eventually fill it up. Still not a bad deal as you can get 40 or so high graphic games installed that take up well over the limited 5 GB.

On my setup Id be using Folder Mount for Android/data and Android/obb.
I'll answer all your questions when I get home from work. I'll also be moving my app2sd research off onto its own thread because its going to get lengthy even more than it already is when I start breaking things down into simpler pieces.

GameEs
08-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Hi, when I want to use this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2359390 (Mod Collection4Ouya) I need to do this first? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401 (Xposed framework), because I can't run that app (Mod Collection) after installing. I thought that I'll install recovery from that Mod Collection, but if I have to install that Xposed first, I'll have to put it there first because I'd have to make a backup.

Thanks.

Also, OUYA reads my external HDD, but doesn't read it through USB Hub (when I want to connect keyboard too) that doesn't has a solution, does it?

lartomar2002
08-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Zerhfox

Everything worth doing in Linux requires root. Its no different than becoming an admin on your
windows computer. To a point. Emanuel's way is your best bet for a windows formatted setup. It just won't work for what I'm doing. I'm phasing out windows partitions and the need for middleman apps. Unless of course there is an app that can run under the system directory and as a service. Because I'm moving the entire /data/apps off to external. That's the OUYAs main problem. For now Folder Mount will have to be used for the side loaded game data. But if you don't solve the internal space problem, the APKs will eventually fill it up. Still not a bad deal as you can get 40 or so high graphic games installed that take up well over the limited 5 GB.

On my setup Id be using Folder Mount for Android/data and Android/obb.
I'll answer all your questions when I get home from work. I'll also be moving my app2sd research off onto its own thread because its going to get lengthy even more than it already is when I start breaking things down into simpler pieces.
Please post a link on this thread to your new app2sd thread.

Wraith_Vague
08-15-2013, 03:03 AM
Umm....I'm going to have to get back with you guys tomorrow. I'm really tired and am having a WTF moment. It's a 60 hour work week. What I just did a second ago with my OUYA I probably wouldn't have tried normally. I generally don't give a rats ass when I'm tired and sometimes the most interesting things occur. In my case I start mounting crap where its not supposed to go.

http://ouyaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=815&d=1376530472

The wonderful thing about it...it works. They system doesn't seem to know the difference. I just downloaded the data for Blood Sword THD and played a little bit. I'm now downloading the data for Asphalt 7. It's super fast because what you are seeing there is a Western Digital My Passport mounted as the internal SD Card. It's also EXT4 formatted. No need for Folder Mount anymore or Link2SD and I'm betting I can symlink /data where the OUYA games are installed right to it.

http://ouyaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=816&d=1376531484

System is stable. Internal chip is not being used and there was a lot less lag on the Asphalt 7 menu. It was fast and responsive. I played a race with no issues.

Emanuel Burgos
08-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Awesome Wraith! When you are well rested, do tell us what you did!

Wraith_Vague
08-15-2013, 03:33 AM
Awesome Wraith! When you are well rested, do tell us what you did!

If Im right...Im going to be able to take a 2 partition drive and mount over the internal SD card with the first partition and then mount the second partition as an extended SD card which should bypass the cross link device issues and allow one symlink for all apps to the external sd. This means no need for Folder Mount or Link2SD and all important data backed up to a drive that has journaling. The only problem then is auto mounting. This also does not really alter the OUYA in any major way. Once unmounted and the symlink reset...its back to its tiny little anorexic glory.

lartomar2002
08-15-2013, 05:14 AM
If Im right...Im going to be able to take a 2 partition drive and mount over the internal SD card with the first partition and then mount the second partition as an extended SD card which should bypass the cross link device issues and allow one symlink for all apps to the external sd. This means no need for Folder Mount or Link2SD and all important data backed up to a drive that has journaling. The only problem then is auto mounting. This also does not really alter the OUYA in any major way. Once unmounted and the symlink reset...its back to its tiny little anorexic glory.
A 2 partition drive, are you talking like ext2/ext3?

Zehrfox
08-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Wraith - Are you rested up yet? Do have any info on your USB Storage solution? Any progress on my answers for rooting my Ouya?

Wraith_Vague
08-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Still at work. Be home in another hour. Then I'll have 2 days to write the other post and answer questions. Will do some tonight. If I've learned anything here, I've learned there are options to "fixing storage". How do you want yours setup?

lartomar2002
08-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Still at work. Be home in another hour. Then I'll have 2 days to write the other post and answer questions. Will do some tonight. If I've learned anything here, I've learned there are options to "fixing storage". How do you want yours setup?
The easiest, most noob proof setup you can think of.;)

If you had a coffee fund going I would definitely contribute.;D

Zehrfox
08-16-2013, 03:53 AM
Wraith - I just want my 160GB HDD to be used to store games, both sideloaded and if possible ones installed from the Ouya store. If I need to root to do that, then I will. I don't care how many partitions I need to make or what file systems they need to be - as long as it works :)

I trust your recommendations, just please remember to spell out the steps for me - that would be most appreciated! :)

Z

Wraith_Vague
08-16-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm currently experimenting with /data. You can either create a symlink or just mount over /data/app and the games work fine. What doesn't work fine is downloading games from the OUYA store. I know have my 500 GB drive with a large EXT4 partition and a small EXT4 partition. I can mount them anywhere I want in the system as either a hard drive or an sd card. Going to keep tinkering till I can understand why the OUYA store is giving me fits.

Zehrfox
08-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Wraith - Thanks for the update, could you answer a few short questions?

1. Will root be needed for your USB HD solution - regardless of how the details work out?
2. Do you know what file system and size partitions I should make? - (So I could get my Hard drive formatted and ready for the fix ahead of time)
3. Sounds like the new HD setup replaces the internal storage (maybe I'm wrong), that's probably a good thing but if so, do we need to backup the Ouya first?

As always your work and efforts are appreciated, I will try to be patient - I am just really anxious to get this working on my Ouya! :)

Wraith_Vague
08-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Zehrfox

1. Will root be needed for your USB HD solution - regardless of how the details work out?
Yeah. Everything I do is as root. You cant make system changes or mount anything without root. What I'm attempting to do now is get a solution that doesn't have to actually change anything, can be reversed easily, and is not really affected by system updates. Kinda like plugging something in or putting two lego blocks together.

2. Do you know what file system and size partitions I should make? - (So I could get my Hard drive formatted and ready for the fix ahead of time)
Everything is up in the air right now. I'm using EXT4 right now with one large partition and one small one. The large one works great for replacing the internal sd and allowing game downloads and play without the need of Folder Mount. Its the OUYA apps that I'm using the small partition for.

3. Sounds like the new HD setup replaces the internal storage (maybe I'm wrong), that's probably a good thing but if so, do we need to backup the Ouya first?
What I'm doing only kind of replaces the storage. Best I can explain is its like putting a lego block on top of another one. You cant see the block under it until you take the top one back off. When you take your drive off of the internal sd card, you see the OUYA's little 5.78 GB space. No you don't need to back anything up. You basically copy the existing contents of your internal space to the new drive and then bring it online. Messing the SD cards or the /data folder are not going to brick anything. That's your stuff. Your installs. The system directories are separate.

Zehrfox
08-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Wraith - Good explanation and analogies! - The Lego brick one got me, I actually still build some models with Lego! - Even though I am 43. I built several detailed models of vehicles from StarCraft, including a transformable Viking!

Anyway, I know you are knee deep in figuring out this USB solution, but if you could help me root and get running that would be great. My previous posts had the details and steps, I just need some confirmation and clarification on a few parts.

I am really anxious to see what you come up with, sounds like it would be ideal for everyone - if we can get a external storage device to "be seen" as if it "was" the internal SD card (8GB). Any ETA on that?

lartomar2002
08-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Wraith - Good explanation and analogies! - The Lego brick one got me, I actually still build some models with Lego! - Even though I am 43. I built several detailed models of vehicles from StarCraft, including a transformable Viking!

Anyway, I know you are knee deep in figuring out this USB solution, but if you could help me root and get running that would be great. My previous posts had the details and steps, I just need some confirmation and clarification on a few parts.

I am really anxious to see what you come up with, sounds like it would be ideal for everyone - if we can get a external storage device to "be seen" as if it "was" the internal SD card (8GB). Any ETA on that?
Don't mean to butt in here but I have some info that might help you, Wraith let me know if I am wrong. Over on the xda forum there is a section for Ouya and development threads. These include some rooting and installing a custom recovery with no pc needed. I do not know how they will effect if any they will have on what Wraith is developing. Look for RootMyOuya, Xposed installer and Xposed Mod.

Zehrfox
08-16-2013, 09:49 PM
lartomar - Thanks for info, I sure don't mind the help :)

Rootmyoiuya, etc - Those were the steps I was referring to - check my post a few back, I had links to those. My questions were in regards to using them, and if any other steps need to be done.

Wraith_Vague
08-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Yeah rooting is easy now with the APK. I still do it through ADB if I have to though. I got tired of wasting time fixing stuff after every update so I just switched to the Stock Plus rom. Updates are turned off, its already rooted, and has the play store working with xposed installer. Has theme support too so it doesn't have that ugly Orange background. I just manually updated to the newest OUYA build today. Simple 5 min process. I use wireless ADB all the time so I don't have to have a cable attached on my laptop to work inside the OUYA. I also have a Java program that runs on my laptop to view the OUYA screen through ADB without having to have a TV turned on. Its pretty slow though.

lartomar2002
08-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Yeah rooting is easy now with the APK. I still do it through ADB if I have to though. I got tired of wasting time fixing stuff after every update so I just switched to the Stock Plus rom. Updates are turned off, its already rooted, and has the play store working with xposed installer. Has theme support too so it doesn't have that ugly Orange background. I just manually updated to the newest OUYA build today. Simple 5 min process. I use wireless ADB all the time so I don't have to have a cable attached on my laptop to work inside the OUYA. I also have a Java program that runs on my laptop to view the OUYA screen through ADB without having to have a TV turned on. Its pretty slow though.
Man, wish I had all those skills.

Wraith_Vague
08-17-2013, 03:43 AM
So I'm currently playing Ravensword: Shadowlands from the OUYA store on my external storage. :tickled_pink: I have set aside 32 GB of space for testing which can easily be increased. A nice result too is that I am able to install stuff from the Google Play Store and the apps go directly to my testing space and work just fine. At the moment my OUYA is only using its onboard chip for the Android system itself. Fine by me. 8 GB should be fine for future growth of the OUYA operating system. All my stuff is taking up space only on my external drive.

The only problem right now is the OUYA store itself. It errors out when trying to download a game and I think that might have something to do with mounts occurring after the OUYA launcher has already started. I'd like to get a script working that mounts the partitions at boot, but so far I haven't had any luck. I'm just not that familiar with trying to get a script to run in Android. This part I may end up needing help with.

Also more testing needs to be done. This solution needs to work great on an existing and aged setup. Meaning for someone that has been using their OUYA for a while. I think this is very doable. It has even crossed my mind that it might be possible to take your drive to a friends house, plug it into their OUYA, and then show them...your OUYA. Its a fascinating idea that Ill be testing. When you were done, you would simply unplug your drive, reboot the friends OUYA and it would be back to loading all their stuff instead of yours.

Updated my original post on page 1 with some new info on a storage fix I've been working on. You know, incase anyone is interested in...um...more space and stuff. I know we have more important things to do like spiffy up the OUYA store, make it faster, and clog it up with trash, but I just thought I'd throw this out there. /sarcasm

It's not much. I thought I had it this time, but for now I only have a piece of it. It really needs to mount on boot. Init.d doesn't work. Hate to say it, but I haven't gotten any of my scripts to run there. I need an APK to probably run the necessary command.

lartomar2002
08-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Wraith, you seem very detailed. Did you ever write tech or service manuals? Some times on forums dev will assume their readers have previous knowledge of this or that but writer of tech or service manuals never can do that.

Wraith_Vague
08-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Wraith, you seem very detailed. Did you ever write tech or service manuals? Some times on forums dev will assume their readers have previous knowledge of this or that but writer of tech or service manuals never can do that.

Yeah I've written docs for my work on the subject of UNIX/Linux stuff. Not everyone that comes to my area will have my level of knowledge, so I try to break it down. I have about half of the storage fix now. Id have the entire thing right now if I could mount a drive on boot. But I'm going nuts trying to get any scripts to work that would work in a normal unix environment. Until I rebooted...I had 460 GB of space and everything working. OUYA store was downloading to the external drive. But soon as you reboot, the mount is broken and it doesn't get mounted again till after the Launcher loads. So I guess I give up for now. If someone could help me mount the drive after the normal system has mounted, but before the OUYA is fully up...We'd all be downloading the entire OUYA store right now.

Totally serious. Got a storage fix sitting here next to me. Lol. I was up to about 10 GB between OUYA and Google Play. Had both the APK and the DATA installed for OUYA Order and Chaos on the same drive. Played fine.

Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
/data 436G 11G 424G 4096
/storage/sdcard0 436G 11G 424G 4096

Zehrfox
08-18-2013, 03:03 AM
I am a novice at this stuff, but I saw posts about having an Ouya boot into XBMC and other apps, so couldnt it be setup to boot to your script, and have the script load the launcher after the drive is mounted?

Or could you rename the script or batch file to the same filename of a boot file? Thereby replacing it?

These r just guesses on my part?

lartomar2002
08-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Yep, I could tell you had some experience in that area. Wish I could help with the mount problem. Have you posted in the Ouya thread on xda, its a big android forum full of devs. Check it out. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2103

Wraith_Vague
08-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Well hell. Just when I'm about to give up, throw in the towel, factory reset this damn thing and put it back in the box....I manage to get a mount script working. The problem is that Stock Plus (at least mine) does not have init.d support. I'm going to have to talk to IncognitoMan tomorrow and see what's up because the rom is supposed to have Wireless ADB support too, but every time I flash back to stock Plus, I have to manually enable Wireless ADB in build.prop. Right now I'm using Universal Init.d to run the script and it swears there is no kernel support for Init.d. The OUYA failed the check. Doing some more quick testing before I head to bed. Going to download a game or something with the mount in place, then reboot, and see if its still accessible after boot. If not...we are going to do a modified version of the Link2SD instructions and symlink this bad boy to a secondary EXT4 partition.

IncognitoMan
08-18-2013, 03:17 PM
.... StockPlus does have init.d support...

Infact the net patch is an init.d script >_>

Also I disabled wireless adb support due to the fact that factory resets were a problem ( and just to keep my mind sane from people *not* following directions ) However that shouldn't be a problem for next update ( see here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44701759&postcount=216 )

Wraith_Vague
08-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Oh I don't doubt it man. You've done a great job with the rom. I just couldnt get any of my more advanced stuff to work. Like it wouldnt run at all. Even simple if/then statements. So I opted for a simpler script that just runs my mount command. Yeah I saw the net patch in there. :P Also if Universal Init.d will work great on a stock OUYA rom, that might be the simpler route to go for most people. I'm not even sure how I'm going to make this storage fix simpler, assuming it even works like I hope. Im used to unix command line. So thats how I've done everything. Wireless ADB is a godsend since I sit so far from the OUYA while dinking around inside a shell.

Zehrfox
08-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Any Update on this?

Can anyone help Wraith make this into USB fix into an APK?

Wraith_Vague
08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Any Update on this?

Can anyone help Wraith make this into USB fix into an APK?

It should be fine now. :-) I got a script working that auto mounts the drive partitions after the system boots. I'm almost done with the storage fix. I have one more thing to test when I get home from work. It looks like I will have to do a variation of the Link2SD fix that WhoDunnit posted on XDA, but with a small twist that kills 2 birds with 1 stone. We are going to fix the internal SD card at the same time, using the same drive.

The problem last night is -- just having a script sitting in init.d doesnt mount the drive before the OUYA launcher loads. So you end up losing everything you installed on reboot with the method I was using last night. If I could ever get a drive to mount before the OUYA Launcher loads, Id be killing a whole flock of birds with one stone. The sky would litterally split open and rays of sunshine would illuminate all OUYA users...not really, but you get the idea.

I don't think people realize just how malleable a Unix or Linux system really is. Once you have root, you can work all kinds of magic. What I've been doing would be like an illusionist making something look like something else. Making a skinny person look fat, or a small file space look alot bigger. Strip away the illusion and the object returns to normal. The difference is that its more like going back in time maybe. What you did on your drive, stays on your drive, and the internal space reverts to what it was before you advanced into the future.

digitalBCP
08-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Wraith I need help. I only ask because you seem like the best one to ask after reading your incredible setup you have going on. I mentioned earlier in the thread about my 3TB Seagate Backup Plus hard drive. I have literally tried everything I can think of aside from root.

It is formatted in Fat32 which from what I read should work the best if im not concerend about file size. I have tried to format it any way imaginable and even partition it into two 1.5TB portions. My USB works fine since I can mount a 16GB flash drive no problem and sync my PS3 controllers. I am desperate on getting this thing up and running since it holds all of my movies/shows for XBMC and would make my setup complete without need to worry about anything anymore. I have read through so many pages on this matter it is unbilevable but still to no previal.

Any suggestions? I just dont get why nothing works on recognizing this hard drive.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

Wraith_Vague
08-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Wraith I need help. I only ask because you seem like the best one to ask after reading your incredible setup you have going on. I mentioned earlier in the thread about my 3TB Seagate Backup Plus hard drive. I have literally tried everything I can think of aside from root.

It is formatted in Fat32 which from what I read should work the best if im not concerend about file size. I have tried to format it any way imaginable and even partition it into two 1.5TB portions. My USB works fine since I can mount a 16GB flash drive no problem and sync my PS3 controllers. I am desperate on getting this thing up and running since it holds all of my movies/shows for XBMC and would make my setup complete without need to worry about anything anymore. I have read through so many pages on this matter it is unbilevable but still to no previal.

Any suggestions? I just dont get why nothing works on recognizing this hard drive.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

It should show up fine as FAT32. Its a format that pretty much all devices understands. I know when I had mine as fat, the OUYA would automount them. However I've never tried it with a 3TB drive. I do have a 3TB Seagate like yourself, but its NTFS formatted. I can mess around with it tonight. Personally Id root my OUYA and use Paragon (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.mounter&hl=en) to mount the drive on boot. The thing is...your drive is probably seen just fine within Android. Meaning it will show up in the devices (/dev) under the hood. However the OUYA may not be mounting it automatically. What Paragon does is mount all windows drives with full read + write support. Also what you don't have with FAT32 is Journaling. It means if there is a power outage while you are watching a movie or something, you could end up having a corrupted file system. NTFS, EXT3 and EXT4 all have Journaling built in, which means it keeps track of transactions. However if you reformat as NTFS and manage to get your drive to mount without external help, the OUYA wont give you write access, only read access. Means you wont be able to copy anything to the drive from OUYA. I'm not going to say that its the shear size that's the problem, because as you stated, you have tried two 1.5 TB partitions and I know others have gotten 2 TB drives mounted. Some of them though used Paragon for windows file systems or OTG USB Helper (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.shajul.usbotg&hl=en) for Linux file systems or something else like StickMount (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount&hl=en).

Personally I don't use any of these because my setup is different and I don't like middle man apps. However, Emanuel Burgos (http://ouyaforum.com/member.php?827-Emanuel-Burgos) seems to like his setup since it seems to be simple and works. He has a USB hub hooked up with Paragon mounting, I think, two NTFS formatted 2 TB drives.

Had everything ready tonight to setup my storage fix. New drive formatting, new mount script for init.d, everything mounting on boot perfectly...and the one thing I really needed, failed miserably. Link2SD. Was going to go ahead and break down and use it to move the apps. Just set it to auto move and forget about it. But its the one thing that kept failing me. It's force closing without even trying to open up. This is why I don't like relying on apps for important things. One day it could just quit working. I've used it before so it means its a bug in my current system flash or the newest version is now incompatible. Usually in these cases I just wipe everything and start over. Get rid of any bad or unstable data. Cant do much tonight. Work in the morning.

UPDATE: There is a spoiler on the OP of one of the ways I was trying to fix the storage problem. Maybe someone else can work on it. It's my favorite method. Unfortunately someone needs to figure out a mount during boot option. I guess I can keep working on it. It is a total let down to know you have already solved the storage problem multiple ways...but nothing works after reboot. Its like a dream you cant hold on to or seeing that thing you want so bad through the store window, but cant touch it.

I'm still going to try my Link2SD option when I have time. But first I have to get the damned APK to stop dying. Currently I have my drive partitioned as 300GB SD/100GB APPS and I'll be testing that soon. If the interest dies off in a solution, then I wont see any reason to continue losing sleep trying to fix it. Probably just box the OUYA up and go back to XBOX.

lartomar2002
08-21-2013, 03:58 AM
There is a spoiler on the OP of one of the ways I was trying to fix the storage problem. Maybe someone else can work on it. It's my favorite method. Unfortunately someone needs to figure out a mount during boot option. I guess I can keep working on it. It is a total let down to know you have already solved the storage problem multiple ways...but nothing works after reboot. Its like a dream you cant hold on to or seeing that thing you want so bad through the store window, but cant touch it.

I'm still going to try my Link2SD option when I have time. But first I have to get the damned APK to stop dying. Currently I have my drive partitioned as 300GB SD/100GB APPS and I'll be testing that soon. If the interest dies off in a solution, then I wont see any reason to continue losing sleep trying to fix it. Probably just box the OUYA up and go back to XBOX.
Before you give up could you please post a "How to" as to how you got everything you have in your signiture. I know for someone at your level this can be very frustrating for a person of you skill especially with a device that was originally proposed as a "open system" which has now turned out to be one of the closed android system on the market. Anyways please do not leave us that have been following you hanging.:D

Zehrfox
08-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Wraith - I understand your frustration completely, I have been there with other projects in the past. I am sorry that this has caused you sleepless nights, but please understand - Your work is very much appreciated!

Interest is extremely high, USB Storage is at the top of nearly everyone's complaint list, and it is the single biggest failure on the part of the Ouya team (IMHO). Ouya users hope resides in brilliant people like yourself, who are willing to spend their valuable time, working on a solution. I think more people would comment on this and show you "interest", but they have not found this thread yet (my guess).

I for one, would be content in just getting my HD setup and fully useable with sideloaded apps, and try to get by on 5.5 gigs for my Ouya Store games and apps until they can fix that. The total solution you are working on is incredible, and that would be a lot better, but it seems extremely difficult.

I would love it, if you could finish your guide to help novices like me and others get our Ouya in the awesome state that you managed to get yours in! I also would be willing to throw some cash your way, either an apk in the store, or just a donate button or something to help you and say - Thanks!

Chris Hoppman
08-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Please, try BlockStory with the MogaPro controller on ouya and see if it works.

Wraith_Vague
08-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Please, try BlockStory with the MogaPro controller on ouya and see if it works.

Sure, why not. Its only $1.98.

Zehrfox
What I'm working on now is expanding my shell script that runs at boot. It will tackle a few things all at once and on every boot of the OUYA. Right now it does 2 things.

It mounts the EXT4 drive partitions for you, and it also makes a backup of the entire /data folder to your mounted drive. The reason for the backup is that a ton of games backup their save games and such to /data/data. I could just back that up, but a full data backup gets all of your installed games and the dalvik-cache too. Some games save to the internal sdcard. My script covers both areas.

I've been using the same OUYA to have fun on and to test on, so it stands to reason that I've had to set it back up from scratch many times. I got tired of losing my game saves.

The 3rd thing its going to do after I'm done is act like an auto Link2SD (since that app force closes on me all the time now) and auto move/link your OUYA games to external storage. Link2SD would of been a saving grace, but for quite a few people, its no longer working on the newest update.

Basically I'm eliminating most apps from the equation because you never know when they are going to work or not work after OUYA updates. You don't need java code to run in the Dalvik VM for what a simple shell script can do at the system level. I remove compatibility issues this way.

Darkdisorder78
08-25-2013, 01:53 AM
So Wraith if the OUYA team fixes the no "USB support problem" what do you think would be thier solution?

Wraith_Vague
08-25-2013, 02:15 AM
So Wraith if the OUYA team fixes the no "USB support problem" what do you think would be thier solution?

Honestly? I think all they are going to do is update the kernel to auto mount all external file systems it finds to /usbdrive. Right now it only seems to like Microsoft's crap. I haven't seen where vold.fstab ever auto mounts external drives formatted as EXT2, 3, or 4 to /usbdrive.

Currently I have my script finished. I'm running it through its first production test now. During it's trial run, it performed wonderfully. I call it app2sd+. What it does is auto makes the directories for you, auto mounts your EXT4 formatted drive for you, then it looks in /data/app for any new games you might have installed and moves those to the external drive. It then symlinks back to /data/app from the external space. After that it happily backs up your /data directory which includes all your game saves to your external storage.

And the Verdict is In....my script works. Storage issue resolved.

I am totally playing Pizza Boy and Nimble Quest on external storage without the need for the Link2SD app.
I also have a backup of my current game saves, automatically.

Now give me all your internets! :triumphant:

Zehrfox
08-25-2013, 02:34 AM
Wraith - Glad to see your posts, I feared you were burnt out on all this , and thru in the towel. Your script sounds good, with the 2 parts that work, is it something I could try?

Also, I would really appreciate step by step instructions for me to root and setup my HDD. I feel others would benefit as well, since my Ouya is stock,and your solution is what me and everyone else wants. If you prefer, you can PM me some instructions. What I understand so far, is as follows:

1. Run the rootmyouya apk - to achieve root
2. Run the mod collection apk to get xposed framework and Google Play Store - (not sure if I need this step, also not sure if some others steps are needed here)
3. Format my HDD - I am not sure about the partitions or file systems? - I was thinking 2 partitions of EXT4? one smaller, one larger?
4. Run your script to get the HD to be seen and usable for sideloaded apps and emulation
5. Wait for your enhanced script or Ouya fix to get Ouya Store apps moved to the external HD.

As always, Thanks for your time and assistance!

Z

BTW - Not to get off topic, but since you love AAA titles - have you seen the latest Humble Bundle for PC? - a bunch of incredible games for about $5 total! - I am installing Crysis 2 Maximum Edition right now!

Darkdisorder78
08-25-2013, 02:51 AM
Sounds amazing! Seem's like you been working on this for a while and im glad your hard work payed off. Congratulations!

Wraith_Vague
08-25-2013, 03:08 AM
Wraith - Glad to see your posts, I feared you were burnt out on all this , and thru in the towel. Your script sounds good, with the 2 parts that work, is it something I could try?

Script is done. :-) It works. Imagine that you play hard one day, downloading a bunch of games and keeping them, then you turn off your OUYA for the night. The next time you turn the OUYA back on, my script auto mounts your external partitions and then checks to see if you installed any new games. When it finds them, it automatically moves them to external storage and then backs up your game saves too. The only thing to remember is to leave the OUYA alone for a few minutes while the script runs in the background. Also...you can run the script manually...say after you are done playing for the day, and it will go ahead and move your games and backup your saves before you turn the OUYA off. I still have some tweaks to do, but so far Im very pleased.

Also, I would really appreciate step by step instructions for me to root and setup my HDD. I feel others would benefit as well, since my Ouya is stock,and your solution is what me and everyone else wants. If you prefer, you can PM me some instructions. What I understand so far, is as follows:

1. Run the rootmyouya apk - to achieve root
Yep, that APK should work fine if you don't want to setup the Android SDK. Personally I love wirelessly messing around in my OUYA with my laptop. Once you have the SDK setup, rooting normally is a 5 second process anyway. I think people confuse the Android SDK setup with rooting. It's only the tool that lets you work with your Android device remotely. Rooting is a secondary process which is very easy.

2. Run the mod collection apk to get xposed framework and Google Play Store - (not sure if I need this step, also not sure if some others steps are needed here)
You only need this step if you want to install the plethora of games from Google Play that automatically support controllers. Personally I love Riptide GP and Riptide GP 2 along with all my Japanese RPGs. Basically the way it goes is you install the framework apk and the mod apk. The Google Play APKs get copied into /system/app and the permissions changed to 644. When you load the xposed framework, it has an install button where it uses root to make changes to a file. It also has a tab up at the top called Modules where you enable the mod you installed. Its just a little check box. Then on the main tab you can select reboot and it will reboot your OUYA so that the file change can take place. I can write something out if need be.

3. Format my HDD - I am not sure about the partitions or file systems? - I was thinking 2 partitions of EXT4? one smaller, one larger?
This is exactly how I have mine formatted. I have a 500 GB drive Im using to test with because its portable and doesn't need an external power source. It normally has 465 GB usable after formatting. Right now I have most of the space on the first partition and the second one is 100 GB. That where Im moving the apps. But you can make the space whatever you want to meet your needs. I have a few things to wrap up before my script is ready. I like to mount over /storage/sdcard0 with my 1st partition, making the internal sdcard hundreds of gigs in size. But the Discover Store hates this and errors out downloading games for some reason. Play Store seems to work fine. All the big game data auto downloads to the big internal sd.

4. Run your script to get the HD to be seen and usable for sideloaded apps and emulation
Script needs a bit of work since the OUYA is so temperamental when you start yanking out its insides and reconfiguring stuff. My script doesn't leave any permanent changes that will cause the OUYA to brick or stuff to stop working. Just have some kinks to work out. The important part is that it always backs up your game saves and your installed apps. It works.

5. Wait for your enhanced script or Ouya fix to get Ouya Store apps moved to the external HD.
Script is great. :) I'm about to run it through another test with Ravensword at 500 MB in size and FF3 at 197 MB in size. But I know it will work just fine. The script doesn't care when you install new games. The next time it sees new stuff, it goes ahead and moves the games off.

As always, Thanks for your time and assistance!

Z
Thanks for the following and support. :-)

Sounds amazing! Seem's like you been working on this for a while and im glad your hard work payed off. Congratulations!

Actually I just started the script yesterday and finished it today. Just needs some tweaks. The thing is, I'm not a Java programmer. I have a hard time writing APKs. I'm more of a Unix Administrator that wasn't sure of what Android could do at the system level. After weeks of messing with this, I finally just broke down and decided to expand the script I was working on. Another thing in the back of my mind was the fact that everytime I had to reset my OUYA due to something I broke, I lost all my game saves. So I worked in a copy command that backs up the user data to the external storage.

I have a few more things to do to make this work for everyone. As it stands, it will work fine for someone that doesn't install Gameloft games or other games with large data downloads. Actually it works great for that. But what I have implemented breaks the Discover store temporarily. You'd end up having to download your games from OUYAlytics web page and install them that way.

I'm praying that this isn't plagued by the same problems from previous attemps. Right now the script is failing when trying to move some big stuff like Ravensword. I have to check that out. I can see the commands running from my laptop, but eventually they die off before ever getting to the next steps in the loop.

Chris Hoppman
08-25-2013, 04:09 AM
Sure, why not. Its only $1.98.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mindblocks.blocks_light - FREE version to test it out.

I asked you because I seen you have games listed that say Moga supportted. I want to see if Ouya can sideload it and get the MogaPro to work before i lay out $50+ dollars for the Moga controller. I tried with the ouya controller and got partial support. do you have a donation button to try this out for me or something? i spend more then $2 bucks on my everyday coffee. so, i can throw you a fiver if you do this for me. yes? I can skip my starbucks on monday and go for the free in office brewed coffee for the day.

Zehrfox
08-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Wraith - I am still kinda fuzzy on step 2 - (see quote below), if you could spell it out for me, that would be great, I have no exp with ADB, so that is why I was trying to use the mod collection apk for this step, But I am not really sure what exactly the apk does?, and it sounds like it may not do everything I need?

You only need this step if you want to install the plethora of games from Google Play that automatically support controllers. Personally I love Riptide GP and Riptide GP 2 along with all my Japanese RPGs. Basically the way it goes is you install the framework apk and the mod apk. The Google Play APKs get copied into /system/app and the permissions changed to 644. When you load the xposed framework, it has an install button where it uses root to make changes to a file. It also has a tab up at the top called Modules where you enable the mod you installed. Its just a little check box. Then on the main tab you can select reboot and it will reboot your OUYA so that the file change can take place. I can write something out if need be.

I hope you get the script figured out, but how do you run a script on the Ouya? are you building this into an apk, or adding it to some boot up files - just curious.....

Z

timmytot666
08-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Blockstory does NOT work.

Wraith_Vague
08-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Wraith - I am still kinda fuzzy on step 2 - (see quote below), if you could spell it out for me, that would be great, I have no exp with ADB, so that is why I was trying to use the mod collection apk for this step, But I am not really sure what exactly the apk does?, and it sounds like it may not do everything I need?

I hope you get the script figured out, but how do you run a script on the Ouya? are you building this into an apk, or adding it to some boot up files - just curious.....

Z

Xposed Framework Only - XposedInstaller_2.1.4.apk
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

Play Store Mod - ps4ouya_script.zip (Google Play apks and MOD apk are the only things important)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2350639

I don't follow their instructions. Don't need ADB to install anything, just a rooted OUYA and a File manager installed on it. Just navigate to those pages with your OUYA and download the files. They end up on your /sdcard or /storage/sdcard0 in the Download directory. So you can use a file manager like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer that can gain root permissions to unzip the files to get the APKs.

The below code is all done at the system level, either through ADB or through an Android Terminal. You don't have to do it this way, its just faster if you already have the Android SDK setup and are able to ADB to your OUYA. The code tells you a few things.

su
mount -orw,remount /system
cat /sdcard/com.android.vending.apk > /system/app/com.android.vending.apk
cat /sdcard/com.google.android.gms.apk > /system/app/com.google.android.gms.apk
cat /sdcard/GoogleLoginService.apk > /system/app/GoogleLoginService.apk
cat /sdcard/GoogleServicesFramework.apk > /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
cat /sdcard/NetworkLocation.apk > /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/com.android.vending.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/com.google.android.gms.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/GoogleLoginService.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk
mount -oro,remount /system
reboot

1.) Have to have Root.
2.) /system needs to be remounted as read/write instead of read-only.
3.) Google APKs have to be in /system/app
4.) Once they are there, they need 644 permissions.
5.) /system is remounted back to read-only
6.) Need to reboot.

Use the file manager of your choice (not File PWN) to click on and install the XposedInstaller_2.1.4.apk.
Then use it to install the Mod_PS4Ouya.apk.
Use the file manager to mount /system as rw. (Navigate to the directory and Root Explorer as an example has a button to click that remounts it for you)
Use the file manager to multi-select the google APKs listed in the code from your Downloads and copy them to /system/app
Use the file manager to change permissions of copied APKs in /system/app to 644.
Go back to Xposed Framework and click on its install process button. Click on the Mod tab at the top and make sure the Play store mod is checked.
Click back on the main tab of Xposed Framework where you clicked the button to install the process file. Click the Reboot button.
Profit.

Things to remember.

These are basic instructions. How each step is done depends on the file manager you use. ES functions differently than Root Explorer as an example, just have to learn where everything is in your manager of choice. Also the OUYA Launcher hates Root Explorer and on ES File Explorer has been crashing for me . Root Explorer works fine if you use a different launcher. A different launcher can be obtained by doing a google search and finding one of the APK sites that has what you want. Most of them might as well be called Warez sites because they sometimes have full games on them. The Amazon store might have a launcher too. Or maybe you have a different file manager in mind already. I like any file manager where I can have multiple tabs open to different places in the system. Makes copying easy between tabs.

Permissions. Not all file managers are going to have numbers for permissions.
Some like Root Explorer have check boxes in a grid for Owner, Group, and Other permissions. (Each one can have Read/Write/Execute permissions)
When I change permissions in Root Explorer and want 644 permissions on a file, it looks something like this.

Read(4) Write(2) Execute(1)

Owner(6) x x
Group(4) x
Other(4) x

How the numbers translate is Read is worth 4, Write is worth 2, Execute is worth 1. 6 is 4 +2 or Read + Write. 4 is Read only permissions. A file that 777 opens itself up to everything and everybody with Read, Write, and Execute permissions or 4 + 2 +1 = 7.

Zehrfox
08-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Wraith - Thanks for explaining that step. I was going to use this APK for step 2 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2359390 Are you suggesting I don't use that, but install it as you have listed above? or does this APK do the same steps, just automated?

How is your script coming along? Has the latest update messed things up for root or for your script?

Once rooted, how do I get my Hard Drive mounted and able to be used to store sideloaded games?

I already formatted my 160GB HD as:
First Partition 100GB EXT4 - for sideloaded games and emulators
Second Partition - 50GB EXT4 - for Ouya Store (once your script or fix is complete)

Z

Wraith_Vague
08-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Wraith - Thanks for explaining that step. I was going to use this APK for step 2 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2359390 Are you suggesting I don't use that, but install it as you have listed above? or does this APK do the same steps, just automated?

How is your script coming along? Has the latest update messed things up for root or for your script?

Once rooted, how do I get my Hard Drive mounted and able to be used to store sideloaded games?

I already formatted my 160GB HD as:
First Partition 100GB EXT4 - for sideloaded games and emulators
Second Partition - 50GB EXT4 - for Ouya Store (once your script or fix is complete)

Z

That APK is just a newer module for Xposed Framework with more features than the 1.0 mod. You can use that in place of the Mod_PS4Ouya.apk.

My script is fine. It's just another way that I've managed to fix the storage. But its going to require a little more.

The updates don't affect me because I'm running Stock Plus where the updates are turned off. Stock Plus already has all these changes that people want to do built into it and turns off updates so OUYA cant screw it all up for you. When OUYA releases a new update, IncognitoMan will add all of those changes to the new update and release it where it can be manually flashed. The end result is a stock rom with Root, Google Play, CIFS, Themes, etc, already built into the update. This allows me to concentrate on my work instead of fixing their breaks every few weeks.

How you really want to use your drive determines where you will mount it. I wish I could just say edit your vold.fstab and it would mount an ext4 drive, but it wouldn't the last time I tried. With root, you can mount a drive anywhere, to any folder really. My first thought would be to /storage/sdcard1 for the first partition. This would be accomplished through init.d either through kernel support or through the Universal Init.d APK. It allows the running of scripts at boot. I would have a file in the /etc/init.d folder with the mount command in it. The command itself would be -- mount -t ext4 /dev/block/vold/8:1 /storage/sdcard1. This is probably really a whole tutorial in itself to explain everything in detail.

Tonight I successfully rebuilt the OUYA boot image with some modifications and the flash didn't brick my OUYA. I'd call that a success, even if my mods need a little work. Overall, I'm happy with the results. Just need to tinker around some more inside the boot image. Imagine a gremlin with its ass hanging out of the hood of the OUYA, parts being thrown out on the ground, random crap being installed...it's a lot like that. That image in my mind makes me chuckle.

CadmiumRED
08-30-2013, 05:43 AM
Is there any way you can take snapshots of your progress? I'm heavily intrigued by what you have done with this intense endeavor.

Moonlight
08-30-2013, 06:59 AM
@Wraith Have you ever tried to build a custom launcher? You seem very handy with tinkering and stuff :P

Frank Bouwens
08-30-2013, 07:26 AM
http://www.ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?t=4436
Or just use BAXY Launcher

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk 4

JerTM
08-30-2013, 02:08 PM

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk 4

Your launcher is good Frank, but options never hurt ;)

Zehrfox
08-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Wraith - I enjoyed your gremlin image :) What does this boot image do? Are you building a new custom rom to replace the stock? or are you modifying some bootup files that will allow the HD to mount before the launcher?

How soon until you have something you can provide to us novices (like me), either a script or an APK, and hopefully with detailed instructions, like you have provided before. Keep up the good work, your public appreciates it!

Z

Wraith_Vague
08-30-2013, 11:15 PM
@Wraith Have you ever tried to build a custom launcher? You seem very handy with tinkering and stuff :P

Nah. I'm not really sure I'd like java programming. Im more comfortable with systems stuff and shell scripts. But it would be handy to implement some of my shell scripting as an APK with menu options.

Yep, you've got some good stuff going there Frank. I haven't looked at the project lately, but if BAXY ever gets to the point that it uses a layout like some of the mockups seen then Ill use it all the time. And when I quit tearing up my OUYA in the interest of fixing stuff.

Wraith - I enjoyed your gremlin image :) What does this boot image do? Are you building a new custom rom to replace the stock? or are you modifying some bootup files that will allow the HD to mount before the launcher?

How soon until you have something you can provide to us novices (like me), either a script or an APK, and hopefully with detailed instructions, like you have provided before. Keep up the good work, your public appreciates it!

Z

It's kinda all of that. The boot image is in every update that OUYA sends down and it runs every time the OUYA is turned on. It is composed of the ramdisk and the kernel. The ramdisk gets the system started by creating the root file structure and initialization files every time. The reason why the init files in the root directory cannot be modified is because on boot they would be written over by the contents of the ramdisk. By gaining access to the boot image, I am able to unpack the ramdisk, make modifications to the files, and then repack the boot image with its kernel, then stick that back in the update. So yes its essentially a new ROM. What I'm looking for is storage related code that I might be able to use to mount a drive early or to change the contents of a storage variable to point somewhere else. I am also attempting to get the system to automount not just vFat (which it is setup for on /usbdrive), but also ntfs and ext4.

Another thing you can do is add APKs to be installed on flash. So you could pack in your favorite games or utilities to be installed every time you flash the rom. Saves time having to install from storage or finding and downloading the games/apps.

Honestly I don't know how long it will take. I'm not working around the clock as to not get wiped out on this. Currently I'm playing Crackdown on my Xbox 360. Yes I know that's a dirty four lettered word here, but rooftop hunting gangs with a rocket launcher is how I destress.

What I'm doing right now:
In addition to checking out what kinds of changes I can make to the OUYA boot image, I thought I would spiff up Stock Plus a little more for my own use.
Sometimes I get tired of finding APKs and reinstalling stuff so I'm adding them to my Stock Plus install. Might as well get double the fun with testing.
If they work fine then IncognitoMan can decide if he wants to officially add the apps, but I can understand that one man can only do so much and nobody really wants to be troubleshooting a bunch of 3rd party apps that users are complaining about not working right.

In addition to the normal Stock Plus
-Google Play Store
-Mod_PS4Ouya.apk
-StockPlusTheme.apk
-SuperUser.apk
-XposedInstaller_2.1.4.apk
-XThemeEngine.apk

I decided to add for testing:
-Adobe.Flash.Player.11.1.115.69.apk
-Hulu.Plus.apk
-Link2SD.apk
-Netflix.apk
-Onlive-1.3-Controller-Patch-Zathu.apk
-Pandora.apk
-VUDU.Movies.apk
-xbmc-12.2-Frodo-armeabi-v7a.apk
-Youtube.Google.TV.apk

These will be installed the next time I flash the rom.
The point will be seeing if they don't mind being included in a rom and work fine after flash.

P.S. I also added Wonder Lee's fake sensor driver that gets Asphalt 8 working. ;-) Like wootz and stuff.

Interesting...found this in one of the init files. Not that I really care about Wiimotes.
---------------------------------------------
# Wiimote connect status
write /data/misc/wminput/connected 0
chmod 0666 /data/misc/wminput/connected

Will be testing on this too. I can change anything here.
Shuddap OUYA. You're in the Wraith zone now.
------------------------------------------------------
# Mount usb drives as /usbdrive. Generally usb drives are formatted with FAT
# filesystem, so we support FAT as of now.
on device-added-/sys/block/sda
mount vfat /dev/block/sda /mnt/usbdrive

Will also be testing some build.prop performance tweaks while Im at it.
If Im going to be working on stuff, I might as well just shotgun blast all the birds with one pull.

MrTea
08-31-2013, 06:35 AM
Wraith,

Keep up the good work! What Ouya needs is an easy one stop ROM which even a grandma could root and install in a few steps. Like yours it must have most of the commonly used apks to come preloaded (including a way to bypass requiring credit card activation and an alternate non official version of the Ouya marketplace that is better organized perhaps like this one. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2385950)

I don't know if you ever used the hubwizard from XBMChub.com but that is what we need for Ouya. An easy one click wizard that makes the box rock (for the rest of us non developers). I know it is not an easy feat to put something like that together.

Then this box will take off. Ouya corporate be damned. The suits will benefit from fixes to the glaring issues (storage, play store, access to all the best tegra capable games like on the tegrazone app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nvidia.tegrazone) not by monetizing and DRMing the box to death.

Open this box up and people will embrace it. They are too understaffed and slow to respond to save this thing. The developers must do it. Then the popularity will take off and bad press will stop and they will sell a ton of boxes once people see the real potential. I am not much of a gamer so XBMC with 1080p hardware acceleration is what sold me on getting one.

Open box up, Collect underpants, ????, Profit!!!

When I get my box, it will be the third of these android TV boxes I have owned and modified. People are upset with Ouya being a work in progress, but none of these android tv sticks work right out of the box. They require an active developer community to support them. That's the only way they becomes functional. I'm sure you are familiar with the Finless ROMs. He made a lot of those broken android sticks actually work.

Once you (and Incognito Man) have a stable rom with all of these apps, I will be installing it right away.

Thanks again,
Mr. Tea

As an aside, In my experience, poor wifi is an issue with all of these devices that don't have an external antenna and interference is also a problem sometimes with controllers depending on the receivers proximity to the TV or other sources of interference. Overheating usually causes screen artifacts, while dropped signals are often due to these internal wifi receivers in android boxes being weak compared to external ones. I know people are modding Ouya with external wifi.

CadmiumRED
08-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Wraith, is there a way with your work that you'd be able to augment the system's capabilities to connecting more kinds of bluetooth and USB controllers than what the system originally now can allow? Some work and some don't, and it made me wonder since I've gone through several kinds of bluetooth controllers with extremely minimal success.

Wraith_Vague
08-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Wraith, is there a way with your work that you'd be able to augment the system's capabilities to connecting more kinds of bluetooth and USB controllers than what the system originally now can allow? Some work and some don't, and it made me wonder since I've gone through several kinds of bluetooth controllers with extremely minimal success.

Dont know. A quick search shows very limited information on the subject for a quick fix. I found nothing to indicate that anyone had any driver packs for Android. There are some drivers for Ubuntu for xbox, but Im understanding that the wireless 360 controller already works with OUYA and so does the PS3. So I'm not really sure what else we need. An optimal controller would be the PS4 controller since it has a touchpad built in. It has crossed my mind that once the PS4 is released, it may be possible to replace any need for the OUYA controller.

MrTea
The problem is that your average grandma probably doesnt understand how to setup the Android SDK and fastboot CWM in order to get a real recovery in place necessary to flash a new rom. Whatever we come up with, OUYA will have to embrace in order to make it streamlined and the same for everyone. It would be nothing for OUYA to include all these apps in their updates. However with the wireless and ethernet issues that have plagued us in the past, Im not sure a larger download is the best thing. Most people think their update is really huge when its taking a long time to download. In reality most of these updates coming down the pipe are only about 110 MB. I have all of the OTA updates dating back to February downloaded on a USB stick. As far as size, they havent changed much. My personal additions to IncognitoMan's rom for testing purposes is now tipping the scales at a little over 200 MB. Still not that big in the greater scheme of things.

The OUYA can easily become a media powerhouse with the addition of just a few apps. What it is currently failing on is being a gaming console with enough storage to make its users happy. When I turn on my XBOX 360, I dont worry about storage space. Its not even a thought most times. Thats because it has a 250 GB hard drive in it. What would a 250 GB drive cost these days? Not a whole lot. A quick search shows about $50 for a 5400 rpm 2.5 drive. Sure the OUYA would of been a little bigger design and would cost maybe $150...but people wouldnt be as angry with the little box as they are right now.

Sadly, whatever software fix I find for the storage problems will incorporate the external drive enough that you may have to just keep it plugged in. I wont know how versatile a setup can be until its actually in a working state. For all I know, I don't even have to touch the ramdisk. That would be nice. I perceive Android as a watered down version of linux. Maybe Im wrong. Ideally all Id want to do is place an Init.d script that specifies when to run itself such as on early init or on fs data to get a drive mounted in the right place before the launcher app wakes up.

lartomar2002
08-31-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't care if it takes all day to download your file, I will do whatever it takes to make this baby better.

Wraith_Vague
08-31-2013, 11:15 PM
I don't care if it takes all day to download your file, I will do whatever it takes to make this baby better.

Well it isn't likely that I would use Incognito's hard work and go distributing my own rom. He just has a good base that's easy to work from without Typhoon OUYA wiping out my setup every other week. You already have the ability to download all the apps and install them, putting them in the rom just means you get back up and running from a disaster a lot faster. Making the OUYA better I think is going to require system tweaks, storage fixed, and a modern professional UI that screams quality.

----------------------------

Late Night Update: 11:15 pm. Ive been doing additional research on possible storage fixes involving the boot image. I ran across something today that seems pretty nice. The average user will not be able to unpack the boot image and change the mounting to suit their needs, however it is possible to run a script in /system/bin as a service on system initialization. The init files would be edited to do this and then be packed back into the boot image. Then, the average user could control how their device is mounted through a combination of the mount script and vold.fstab. Ive made the changes and have everything packed up and ready to flash and test. Just don't have the time tonight.

Wraith_Vague
09-02-2013, 04:05 AM
Tonight I'm about to flash a new revision of what Ive been working on.

It includes extra:
-a bunch of media apps previously mentioned
-some build.prop performance tweaks
-WonderEkin's Mod_Collection4Ouya.4.1.apk w/fake motion sensor driver.
-my new boot image changes to the ram disk
-and a test of my newest storage fix solution...which Im hoping works.

Edit....Flashed. Booting the OUYA now.

Tired...guess I ended up copying over and flashing my previous rom changes. Copying over the new one now. Its quite a bit bigger. About 230 MB.

Now for flash #2 tonight before I pass out...

Screw it...forgot a few things. Have to do some maintenance for this to work. Its 11 pm. Signing off for the night while some data copies over.

coldjim
09-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Great Work ur doin here Wraith! Just got an Ouya recently and was looking to try out some mods on it. This sounds great!
I was just wondering, the Onlive APK u have got. Where have u got it? Did u modify it urself?? Also what is the resolution like on the games if the onlive apk is meant for android phones???
Thanks

Wraith_Vague
09-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Great Work ur doin here Wraith! Just got an Ouya recently and was looking to try out some mods on it. This sounds great!
I was just wondering, the Onlive APK u have got. Where have u got it? Did u modify it urself?? Also what is the resolution like on the games if the onlive apk is meant for android phones???
Thanks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1906021
Resolution is fine I think. I either watch people play in the Arena or play The Witcher 2 sometimes.

-------------------------

It seems I have a lot more work to do on my storage fix. Nothing worked last night and I dont know why. Was up until nearly midnight again. Basically the current setup works like this...

The init files have been edited in the ramdisk boot image to replace the crappy and static mounting of the USB drive as FAT to /usbdrive with a more elegant setup which runs a script as a service. Basically on the existence of /dev/block/sda it's supposed to run a mount script as a service with a case statement that says when the service starts...mount the partitions to wherever the user wants them. On the non-existence of /dev/block/sda it runs the stop case function in the script which unmounts the partitions. Theoretically this is supposed to work, but from what I saw last night...no mounts occured. I didn't have enough time to troubleshoot why its not working.

This is a more elegant solution because the mounting is not hard coded into the ramdisk where most users are not going to be able to change it without going through the whole unpacking, editing, and repacking process. By calling a script as a service outside of the ramdisk, it allows the average user to edit the mount options such as if they want their drive to be FAT, EXT, NTFS and where they want their drive to mount in the system. This also means that multiple drives could theoretically be mounted at boot if the device is existing in /dev/block.

I just don't know why it didn't work last night. I think its a good approach, it just needs more time.

Zehrfox
09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Wraith - I am sure you will figure this out, sounds like a reliable way of getting the HD mounted before the launcher. I hope you resolve it soon, the Ouya dev team should hire you or at least help you with this solution, it seems you are working harder and are a lot closer to a solution then they are - or any other devs (that I know of). Maybe pay you as a consultant or contractor?

Wraith_Vague
09-04-2013, 02:29 AM
I am reluctant to take credit for anything that I do. I would never accept pay for it. My talents have always been based on an ability to understand and adapt existing technology. I don't create anything new. Android is not new. There is a wealth of knowledge already out there. Years of research that others have been building on. All I do is absorb that knowledge through a few hours a night of working on a problem and then mold it to my purposes. OUYA has an entire team that has had over a year to realize there was a problem and to resolve it. If they cared I don't think they would have had such a primitive mounting solution built into the ramdisk init files. Sorry. Lol. Just had a really bad day at work.

timmytot666
09-04-2013, 03:02 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/04/urysasun.jpg

Please get this to workkkk <3

mlkmade
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Hey guys, new Ouya owner here and I kinda stumbled unto this thread cause it was interesting. Really cool stuff going on here. I have a question though..

It's pretty late, so my brain isn't quick as it normally is, but why all the interest in making an external USB drive act like internal storage? I just hooked up my WD 1TB passport to my ouya just fine and transferred over movies to the internal ouya storage. Even if I didn't transfer to the internal storage, couldn't I play and use files off the external storage directly? What am I missing?

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something, but does it matter if the storage is seen as external vs internal? Is it faster or more practical? please explain..Sorry if its a dumb question.

nchantmnt
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
quite simple:
ouya has limited storage, so you can only install a limited number of games.
target is to get your device mounted as early as possible to be able to not only install games to it (already possible) but also have them listed directly after boot.
on a late mount, you would have to restart launcher (and rescan game folder) to have your already installed games listed.

all in all we would like to not only have parts of the games/apps sitting on a external drive like already possible with link2sd but really have everything of the app on the external drive. and this is only possible on an early mount

Wraith_Vague
09-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I will probably keep working on this. There are many ways to fix storage, but the best way is one that any one can use. I think now I'd like to see a game juggler app in the ouya store. Something that hopefully doesn't require root. Games and apps can be uninstalled at the command line and be told to keep the data by running a 'pm -k package'. I don't know if pm requires root to run. It shouldn't. Ideally I'd like to see this theoretical app keep track of last accessed times and backup unplayed games to storage before uninstalling. Similarly to Titanium Backup, it would keep a list of what's been backed up and allow reinstall. Given the current state of this forum, I don't think there is anyone who could help me with the java code. I'd probably have to venture into that uncharted territory myself.

lartomar2002
09-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Wraith, are you using XBMC on your Ouya? If so are you experiencing stuttering when using ethernet. I ask because if you did and was able to fix it, I would like to know how you did it. Just hoping!

Wraith_Vague
09-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Wraith, are you using XBMC on your Ouya? If so are you experiencing stuttering when using ethernet. I ask because if you did and was able to fix it, I would like to know how you did it. Just hoping!

Haven't been doing much with XBMC so I can't really answer that. The setup I had hasn't been existing since I started seriously working on the storage problems. When working on this stuff, I eventually break the OUYA in some way and have to start over.

Honestly I'm thinking about just going back to stock and using OUYA the way it was meant to be used. Maybe get through all the Pizza Boy levels and finish Ravensword. I don't really get to play games or use xbmc when I'm tearing stuff up. I just have too much going on in real life right now and some relaxation would be nice. I have 375 movies on a drive right now that I can use with XBMC that are 720 and 1080 quality. My 3TB drive died with all my TV Shows on it. :-( I'm running out of drives to test storage with.

Zehrfox
09-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Wraith - I understand your need to take a break from your storage solution. Please do so, you have to enjoy yourself and relax sometimes too. Have fun with your Ouya and get lost in some games for awhile. Heck, sometimes that is when a great idea comes up anyway, when you are NOT thinking about the problem. I hope this doesn't bother you but I emailed Julie at Ouya, and mentioned all your amazing work and innovative ideas. I politely suggested that the Ouya Dev team contact you and help you, since you have done more work and had more success that anyone else that I know of (including the Ouya devs). My email was not a rant, but a polite, concise letter with what I feel was solid information for her and the Ouya team. I included a link to this thread - so i wanted to make you aware of it. With all the mass emails they get, it will probably get lost in the chaos of rants and complaints anyway, and most likely never get read by anyone. But I at least tried to help.

Sorry to hear about your drive dying, you need to get an APK on the store or maybe a donate button somewhere. I know I would not mind sending you some funds to help you in this solution. Maybe if others feel the same, you could get enough to buy a new Hard Drive. Heck, I have some smaller ones I would gladly ship to you. I have several 2.5" laptop HDs, some 60GB, some 160GB. I know they are small, but maybe for testing purposes? Let me know buddy, happy to help you in anyway that I can :)

You had mentioned that Section 1 and 2 of your guide was complete, can you post the complete sections? - That would help people like me get started, maybe get us rooted and at least storage setup for sideloaded games and apps?

timmytot666
09-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Try bitDungeon its funnnnn

Sent from my OUYA Console using Tapatalk 2

lartomar2002
09-10-2013, 05:55 PM
I could help with some funds also.

Wraith_Vague
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Zehrfox

I appreciate the kind words and confidence in my abilities, but how do you guys know I'm not just bashing my forehead on the keyboard and looking like I'm smart? Lol. If OUYA won't even talk to the public, I don't expect them to talk to me. If they are trying to be prideful and not look weak by not asking the community for help...too late. Damage is done. Maybe they don't need a UNIX systems guy to help them. What I'm probably going to do now is make a storage thread and add all my ideas, everything I've done, every script I've written.

As for helping me out with donations, money isn't really that much of a problem. I make a reasonable amount doing IT work for a large company. Besides, I can't take anyone's money. If I actually find a solution that works, then fine. Bury me in money. But if there is no finished product, I can't justify taking donations. Even if is just for my Dr. Pepper addiction.

I'm looking forward to going back to stock and finishing some games. It might give me new ideas from the perspective of the average person who just picked up an OUYA. Whatever solution happens, it needs to be within reach for everyone.

Zehrfox
09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
I just got a reply from Ouya:

Hi,
I am passing your inquiry/info on to our development team and someone from there will contact you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest in OUYA!
Best,

- Derek
OUYA

Sounds like a canned response, but better than nothing. Maybe we will get some reply - But probably not, either way Wraith - I wanted to give you the courtesy of informing you -since I included a link to this thread (your thread). Have some fun playing games and taking a break, looking forward to ideas when you have rested/relaxed a bit :)

Wraith_Vague
09-10-2013, 11:46 PM
You know...when I'm doing shell scripting and don't want to see errors or other output from my commands, I send them to /dev/null. ;-) The development team could just be a no reply email box. Hehe. J/K. An attempt at scripting humor.

Wraith_Vague
09-16-2013, 01:41 AM
I think I've had enough time off. 5 Days. Feeling a bit optimistic. Time to hop back on the Tinker Horse. So here is whats going to happen.

1.) I'm going to get back to writing my guide. (Shouldn't be too hard to hammer out some more sections quickly. Might as well be a book.)
2.) I'm going to mess around with cooking my own OUYA rom. (Just as a backup if Incognito suddenly decides the OUYA sucks and doesn't like nerdy fame.)
3.) I've got some other storage ideas to try. (These will be taking a step back to the average user and wont require a new rom.)

I cant be bothered with OUYA succeeding or failing. I can only try to make what we have a little better as some others on this forum are doing.

lartomar2002
09-16-2013, 02:57 AM
That's the spirit.:D If we wait on team Ouya we will be here for a long time I fear. I thought for sure there would be something more positive from them by now, ie; storage, ethernet/wifi fix, especially since the major buying season is just around the corner.

Wolverine-_-_-
09-16-2013, 06:28 AM
I think I've had enough time off. 5 Days. Feeling a bit optimistic. Time to hop back on the Tinker Horse. So here is whats going to happen.

1.) I'm going to get back to writing my guide. (Shouldn't be too hard to hammer out some more sections quickly. Might as well be a book.)
2.) I'm going to mess around with cooking my own OUYA rom. (Just as a backup if Incognito suddenly decides the OUYA sucks and doesn't like nerdy fame.)
3.) I've got some other storage ideas to try. (These will be taking a step back to the average user and wont require a new rom.)

I cant be bothered with OUYA succeeding or failing. I can only try to make what we have a little better as some others on this forum are doing.

This brightened my mood. I like stockplus but I'm nervous that development may be a very low priority right now. I just picked up a 1TB hard drive and need to decide how I want to set it up. I'm torn between network and local. I would like to store media files on it and access them from other devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

IncognitoMan
09-16-2013, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't say it's low priority nor have I stopped with the rom... Just that OUYA hasnt pushed an update worth me syncing to yet ( the latest only has a download bar fix which doesnt really affect anything... )

I will say I'm quite focused on another project ( OUYA rom related ) and also a "portable" installer for the ouya frameworks to android devices ( which for the most part is done )

Wolverine-_-_-
09-16-2013, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't say it's low priority nor have I stopped with the rom... Just that OUYA hasnt pushed an update worth me syncing to yet ( the latest only has a download bar fix which doesnt really affect anything... )

I will say I'm quite focused on another project ( OUYA rom related ) and also a "portable" installer for the ouya frameworks to android devices ( which for the most part is done )

Didn't mean to step on your toe. I'm just glad to see that Wraith is developing a Rom that will hopefully integrate multiple options for external storage. I'm not looking for anything over the top. The ability to run OUYA games on my nexus 7 sounds cool(especially if I can sync save data using TiBu), I'll pop over to xda to keep track of that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Zehrfox
09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Wraith - Any updates on your progress? Guide coming soon?

Wraith_Vague
09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Wraith - Any updates on your progress? Guide coming soon?

No updates yet. Had some life stuff to deal with and I'm waiting on Incognito to put out a new Stock Plus update. This last OUYA update actually looks promising and has gotten a lot of positive feedback from the community. I'm picky about my guides so it might take a while. Or maybe I'll just toss it up here and make revisions online. As far as storage, we can probably just use Link2SD and Folder Mount assuming that we have a reliable way to keep the EXT4 partition mounted. Are a few ways to do that. I just don't like either of those programs. Its tedious to move one app at a time. And messy. Not at all elegant or easy to manage if one day the apps decide to die.

Wolverine-_-_-
09-23-2013, 07:09 PM
I've yet to use the feature, but Android Tuner Pro does offer the option to move/link multiple apps to sd.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Wraith_Vague
10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Well I'm kinda back after 2 weeks. Haven't done much with OUYA in a while due to hitting an all time low in my life. But I think I'm good now. I decided to update to 519 stock plus last night, then suddenly realized that through a series of unfortunate recent events, all 3 of my keyboards were broken. Ever flashed a ROM in CWM with a mouse? Its pretty interesting to say the least. I'm really enjoying the launcher by InvaderGames. I guess we'll see what happens now.

Edit - Twisted my lower back somehow. Haven't been doing a whole lot of sitting up working on stuff.

bonuswavepilot
10-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Hope your back feels better soon, Wraith...

If you want any help with your guide, I'd be happy to put my hand up. Am a pedant as far as the written word goes, and have done some Android development, so I'm not entirely clueless... (Though to be fair, that was really just HTML5/JS development with a phonegap wrapper around it to turn it into native code).

Either way, keep up the good work, chief!

DrunkPunk
10-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Twisted my lower back somehow. Haven't been doing a whole lot of sitting up working on stuff.

Just got through dealing with a bit of that myself, no bueno. I wish you a speedy recovery Wraith! :D

Wraith_Vague
10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Just got through dealing with a bit of that myself, no bueno. I wish you a speedy recovery Wraith! :D

As long as my back muscles stay tight, I don't have sciatic nerve pain in my leg. That lasts for most of the day, but by the end of the day you guys would have to leave me behind in the zombie apocalypse.

As far as the stuff I was working on, might as well open the guide to the community. I could post my table of contents to show where I was wanting to go with it. It would be kinda like an OUYA mod bible or something. Also I wanted to post something about my work on systematic storage fixes that don't require an app middleman. Add that to the guide maybe. My problem is when I don't work on stuff for a while, I forget where I was. I've been known to move from project to project while leaving stuff unfinished because that's how my mind works. Whatever looks the most shiny is what draws my attention.

timmytot666
10-09-2013, 04:33 PM
You're the most shiny!

Zehrfox
10-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Wraith - Glad you are back!, really sorry to hear of your back problems, I hope that was worst of your low point. I have extra keyboards if you need one (or two), mailed to you. The least I could do for all your hard work :)

I too had a back injury several years ago, Lower lumbar and I had sciatic pain all the way down to my feet, I couldn't turn my head to the left, without passing out from pain. A good chiropractor and some physical therapy got me back to semi normal. Back never completely healed though. I use rolled up towels under my lower back and neck to help when it acts up. I highly recommend them. I also bought a back stretcher on Amazon, that you lay on to help stretch out your back, I sometimes get relief or even an adjustment from that. Also there is solid evidence that stress causes or at the very least increases back pain, so try to have fun and enjoy life (sounded like you were working really hard, with long hours before). The better chiropractors that I have seen, take several xrays before they adjust you, and cater their adjustments to your specific needs, not just the same five moves for everyone. Also, the one I see now, also looks at 3 dimensionally, and will twist and push, not just push straight. He seems to be the most skilled and productive IMHO.

alabtrosMyster
10-10-2013, 04:02 PM
As a console it's alreadyfailing in some ways, and doing pretty well in others. My main issues with it are the less than forthcoming way they have treated their backers (such as me) with the console being always online, games being pushed on it without my permission and now the TOS poping up on my screen, they basically told us they can uninstall anything they do not like from our consoles...

Mind you, I love the free for all type of games that end up on it (kids love Amazing Frog) and emuya + some of the other emulators are great... however there are a few sticking points that makes it impossible to recommend the buy to anyone, even at 100$.

NOTE: I don't want to hack my way around these problems

1 - The software it not very stable, I experienced more crashes with this console than with any other in the past... all the way to my NES owning days!
2 - Always online is WWAAAYYYY too strict, if you loose the connection only 1 second you have zero access to the content you bought (I even refuse to use the voucher they sent in these circumstances) my android devices let me use the purchased items while offline, why not a game console? especially one that calls itself open...
3 - Downloads keep hanging at one point or another, add that to forced auto updates and sometimes you have a console that you just can't use (some updates got stuck for too long a couple of times in a row and I had to force reboot the machine a few times to fix that... not very pleasing).
4 - The controller is not up to par and using a PS360 controller does not work in all apps for the platform... so there is no perfect solution there (unless you like switching controller all the time... I find that messy)
5 - The whole XBMC 12.3.3 sound issue, not ouya's fault, but the forced updates made it worse than it ought to be...

I have yet to see a platform that is in its natural state that is so restrictive and I refuse to spend a single dollar on it until I am reassured about the always online + update situation ( I am one of the few who bought some software on their store when I first got the machine).

Basically, that makes me want to see it fail out of sheer principles.... if MS did not get away with an online check every 24 hours, the ouya team should not get bailed out for a constant check...

timmytot666
10-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't have any drm issues even if I turn off my router and play my games. I have both a custom launcher and the ouya launcher either one will let me launch into my games without internet connection.

If you didn't want something you'd have to sideload you shouldn't have gotten an android device. I have even sideloaded on my phone tablet before.

My ouya is not rooted so therefore not "hacked" if that is what you're talking about. I have none of these problems that you're talking about with crashes and controller issues.

I have usb controllers and they all work on both the ouya and custom launcher I have.

Sorry about all of your issues but there are ways around it. Sideload a better xbmc/toggle your dev options/turn the ouya on its side.

If you don't wanna put in the work don't back an idea console made for hacking. I suggest you get a refund.

Wraith_Vague
10-13-2013, 07:00 PM
My problem is that its just not interesting anymore. Its good as a gaming box and an xbmc box, even though the xbmc experience sucks with a controller. It does not at all compare with windows XBMC with a XBox 360 controller. The mapping is far superior functionally in windows. Also its awsome for chain watching YouTube video tutorials. I am a tinker. I need things to build and to plan and to modify. For a while the OUYA did that for me, but to be brutally honest I've gotten hooked on PC Minecraft with mods and texture packs. It satisfies my creative tinker urges and I don't really play games unless I am able to build, modify, grow, and create something. They just don't hold my attention otherwise. Right now I'm letting someone borrow my OUYA for a few days to see what they think of it. It doesn't mean I bate the OUYA, but currently it does make it hard to work on anything for it unless the community sees a need. If I get picked for the OUYA storage beta, then I'll pick their ROM apart and see what they are doing. Past that I may just finish my guide and call it a day. OUYA is making great strides. They are starting to listen. Only time will tell where this journey takes us. I'll be watching, but I have a short attention span.

Zehrfox
12-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Wraith - Now that the USB Storage fix from the Ouya Team has been out awhile, what are your thoughts on it?

1. Did they implement it correctly?
2. Would you have done it differently?
3. Are there any aspects that are still missing?
4. What would you like to see them work on now?
5. What new technical puzzles are you working on buddy?

Take care, and Have a Merry Christmas!

lartomar2002
12-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I would be interested in Wraith's reply to those questions.

Wraith_Vague
12-20-2013, 02:04 AM
I haven't been here in a little while. People still care about what I think? Lol. To be totally honest I haven't had my OUYA on in a long while. I just recently got it back from a friend who I let borrow it. I suppose I came back because I'm planning on wiping my OUYA and seeing what all has been happening here since my absence. I suppose I can answer those questions when I do check it out. Ive been busy with work and with Minecraft. I'm currently dabbling in running a Tekkit Classic server online and installing Bukkit plugins. Its a trial run, but I have a host and a teamspeak server. My real love of Minecraft is my own modpack that I'm working to bring the world to life. Id like the client to use the advanced shaders as well for a truly immersive MC experience. What keeps my attention is the infinite options of world configuration. I'll plug the OUYA in tomorrow if friends and family give me a bit of time to myself.

Paul Laimal-Convoy
12-26-2013, 07:25 AM
As a console it's alreadyfailing in some ways, and doing pretty well in others. My main issues with it are the less than forthcoming way they have treated their backers (such as me) with the console being always online, games being pushed on it without my permission and now the TOS poping up on my screen, they basically told us they can uninstall anything they do not like from our consoles...

Mind you, I love the free for all type of games that end up on it (kids love Amazing Frog) and emuya + some of the other emulators are great... however there are a few sticking points that makes it impossible to recommend the buy to anyone, even at 100$.

NOTE: I don't want to hack my way around these problems

1 - The software it not very stable, I experienced more crashes with this console than with any other in the past... all the way to my NES owning days!
2 - Always online is WWAAAYYYY too strict, if you loose the connection only 1 second you have zero access to the content you bought (I even refuse to use the voucher they sent in these circumstances) my android devices let me use the purchased items while offline, why not a game console? especially one that calls itself open...
3 - Downloads keep hanging at one point or another, add that to forced auto updates and sometimes you have a console that you just can't use (some updates got stuck for too long a couple of times in a row and I had to force reboot the machine a few times to fix that... not very pleasing).
4 - The controller is not up to par and using a PS360 controller does not work in all apps for the platform... so there is no perfect solution there (unless you like switching controller all the time... I find that messy)
5 - The whole XBMC 12.3.3 sound issue, not ouya's fault, but the forced updates made it worse than it ought to be...

I have yet to see a platform that is in its natural state that is so restrictive and I refuse to spend a single dollar on it until I am reassured about the always online + update situation ( I am one of the few who bought some software on their store when I first got the machine).

Basically, that makes me want to see it fail out of sheer principles.... if MS did not get away with an online check every 24 hours, the ouya team should not get bailed out for a constant check...

I agree with everything you wrote but android suffers from some"always online" problems too, namely Gameloft games. Recently, I was planning on getting a moga controller to play asphalt 8, nova 3 (that game can only really be played with a moga controller so I've not bothered playing it with touch controls) etc and playing them on the aeroplane on a visit to my home country. Imagine my surprise when EVERY Gameloft game refused to play as it couldn't connect to online. Bulkypix's "Meltdown" opened, but the framerate went down to something like 2fps. Riptide GP, Repulze and ironically, EA games like "RR3/2" all worked either fine, or by pressing a few buttons to ignore the "needs to use WiFi to check game status" pop-up. It's amazing that Gameloft an even claim that their games are "mobile" when their games can't work while traveling around the world. I will never purchase a single Gameloft game from this'd point on. Even if it's 99 cents. I'd rather get a cracked version.

flamepanther
12-26-2013, 08:09 AM
I agree with everything you wrote...What, even the part where he says "I have yet to see a platform that is in its natural state that is so restrictive"? 'Cause frankly that's ridiculous. I have yet to see a comment that is so off-base. If you look at any other console in its native state, side loading isn't even a thing. Even regular Android usually defaults to blocking "unknown sources" but OUYA allows it without even having to change any settings, let alone hack the device.

He's off in other areas as well. As far as I can tell, the game developers choose when their games check OUYA's servers for purchased content, and not a console-wide "always online" policy. It's the same way with the Google Play store, which is why some Android games have the same issues, as you've mentioned. That's all on the developers, not OUYA or Google. Developers seem to be going that route because of the absolutely terrifying rate of piracy on Android. Piracy of such magnitude is possible because it is so easy on Android--and hypothetically on OUYA as well--specifically because the platforms themselves are so very explicitly open compared to others. QED, right?

I would hope you're also aware that "they basically told us they can uninstall anything they do not like from our consoles" is a very paranoid reading of the TOS. They need to have their butts covered when a system update inadvertently writes over any modified system files, or when a game gets pulled by the author and isn't available in the store anymore. It's pretty obvious that they aren't out to delete anybody's copy of SPMC or the Amazon Appstore.

DarlenaKnobloch
12-26-2013, 08:37 AM
That is indeed pretty awesome...you got that started right..

Wraith_Vague
12-26-2013, 05:22 PM
There will be issues with any system whether it is physical or digital. I am starting to wonder if it will ever be completely possible to lock any system down from piracy. Most of the "solutions" are written in code. Code can be adapted and changed once you understand what the code is doing. If the code were harder to get to, say on a hardware chip which would be required to interface into the OS, then I imagine it would be much harder. I haven't really been on the forums in a while. I guess I needed some time away. A few months ago, I wasn't sure if OUYA was going to sink or swim. But it looked like the company was starting to listen to all of us and make the proper course changes to get the ship off the reef. Now I visit websites not even related to android and I see advert banners for $99 OUYAs. I have yet to plug mine back in and reset it to stock to see what the new downloads are all about. I was pretty excited waiting for my pre-order of the Gamestick, I really wanted to check that out and see how hackable it was, but Amazon let me down. As far as I can tell, they stopped selling the units and never shipped mine. I canceled my order. So I feel really let down right now as far as android gaming consoles. I'm all technical. I don't really care for politics or economics, even in the gaming industry. If you put out hardware and software that makes very little logical sense, it boggles the mind. OUYA started out with a leaky boat, but appears to have patched some of those holes. I would still like to see it succeed and prove everyone wrong. We should see a huge improvement in OUYA 2 with both hardware and software. Not only with the unit, but with the company as well, as some of those growing pains and engineering strategy hurdles will be out of the way. The foundation will be more solid. I'm rambling as usual and I'm not even sure what I'm rambling about. Lol. Oh well. Back to my Minecraft project. It's a terrible pain in the butt to get optifine, forge, shader support, and 80 mods well oiled and working perfectly in a distributable package that any noobsauce can open up and use with minimal direction. I suppose that's the fun in it though.

Tycho-y
12-28-2013, 03:41 AM
What, even the part where he says "I have yet to see a platform that is in its natural state that is so restrictive"? 'Cause frankly that's ridiculous. I have yet to see a comment that is so off-base. If you look at any other console in its native state, side loading isn't even a thing.

"Isnt even a thing"? I am not an android expert but AFAIK side-loading is not an issue with most popular android devices. And with most of those devices it isnt a problem to flash and boot a custom ROM. With Ouya the latter is impossible, so no customs roms unless youre willing to boot from the recovery partition. This means Ouya policy is far more restrictive than most of the mobile phone suppliers policies are and those are known to be about as restrictive as it gets.

The only point where Ouya is less restrictive is that you dont loose your warranty by rooting the device. If you compare ouya to other consoles it surely is less restrictive, you are right there, but if you compare it to android devices, even phones, its far more restrictive. Thats why you see the little bit interest of modders towards the box allready ceasing. No custom roms anymore for the Ouya.

He's off in other areas as well. As far as I can tell, the game developers choose when their games check OUYA's servers for purchased content, and not a console-wide "always online" policy. It's the same way with the Google Play store, which is why some Android games have the same issues, as you've mentioned. That's all on the developers, not OUYA or Google.

AFAIK Ouya recommends to developers to use server side DRM/purchase verification. If a game does server side DRM check it will stop working as soon as you loose market access. Please correct me if i am wrong.

All of my current android apps for my HTC phone will still be usable without market/playstore access whereas my Ouya box became completely unusable after rejecting the "forced TOS". Like beeing not able to use your car after beeing forbidden to enter the sellers shop.

Developers seem to be going that route because of the absolutely terrifying rate of piracy on Android.

This seems to be a valid concern (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/176214/The_Android_piracy_problem.php). But it is really higher than with PC games? In this article the statements about high piracy rates are from the producers or distributors. Its in their interest to push for more restrictive copyprotection because it means more money. Interestingly none of them states where these high numbers come from. How can they (legally) gather those numbers?!

Piracy of such magnitude is possible because it is so easy on Android--and hypothetically on OUYA as well--specifically because the platforms themselves are so very explicitly open compared to others. QED, right?

Wrong. Android is more closed than Apple OSX, Windows whatever and most Unix flavours.

I would hope you're also aware that "they basically told us they can uninstall anything they do not like from our consoles" is a very paranoid reading of the TOS. They need to have their butts covered when a system update inadvertently writes over any modified system files

They would had formulated it this way if they ment it this way which they didnt. Because

or when a game gets pulled by the author and isn't available in the store anymore.

the TOS clause is primarily aimed at non OS software, means any type of game or other apk.

It's pretty obvious that they aren't out to delete anybody's copy of SPMC or the Amazon Appstore.

Is it? I dont trust their developers, or anyone else in this case, to delete what they want on my box. Zero chance! The fuckup rate is too high and how will you proof that ouya deleted something on your box? Especially if it had been a non-ouya-store app? You simply cant.

Zehrfox
01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Wraith - I really hope you check this thread, and that you can help me. I posted this in the side loading section:

Need Help Sideloading Eternity Warriors 2 and Air Attack HD
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8944-Need-help-with-sideloading-Eternity-Warriors-2-and-Air-Attack-HD

I saw that you had these working well, can you please assist me in getting them working too? - Standard Ouya - not rooted, with a 32GB USB thumbdrive connected (and recognized)

Thanks!

Wraith_Vague
01-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Sorry Zehrfox, I've been pretty busy with my other project. I still have yet to hook my OUYA back up and get it updated to the newest version. I would suspect that would be where some of the issues are. I think I was able to play Eternity Warriors 2 up to a certain point. I dont really remember, but I think there is a point where a menu pops up and you dont have any ability to get rid of the menu. I'm sorry I dont have more. Ive been deep into the internal workings of Minecraft and modding and its been a huge undertaking. I just put up a server running my own private modpack and due to the tick loop not being multi-threaded, its bringing the host server to its knees. Once I get things running smoothly then I can come back to OUYA.