PDA

View Full Version : Expand OUYA's memory without disassemby

Jonathan Sands
07-23-2013, 02:45 AM
This (http://www.ouyaly.com/?p=635) resource might be worth checking out for the more technical gamers out there...it combines a few resources to form a step-by-step guide for expanding memory via USB drive.

JerTM
07-23-2013, 03:36 AM
send this to OUYA, can make the next update

xAD
07-23-2013, 03:41 AM
Only works until power-down? Not really user friendly, there.

kingmid
07-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Only works until power-down? Not really user friendly, there.

There is a script to do it automatically on boot. That's what I use and it works perfectly.

DrunkPunk
07-23-2013, 06:40 AM
There is a script to do it automatically on boot. That's what I use and it works perfectly.

Can you post the script and instructions or a link to it? That would be handy with the modders!

kingmid
07-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Can you post the script and instructions or a link to it? That would be handy with the modders!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2345680

The script is in post 3

Hydrus
07-23-2013, 08:32 AM
This is actually pretty good. It can help OUYA speed things up and get on with the next issue on the list.

Edit: After 3 hours my lightbulb just turned on. Gonna move this to Hacks and Mods.

Loey
07-23-2013, 02:01 PM
I have a 250GB External HDD that's formated as NTFS at the moment and I'd like to use the whole thing for Ouya. Is it alright if I format the whole thing to ext4 or is there a particular reason I should create a second primary partition formatted to ext4?

edit:

I tried following the steps but I'm stuck at step 7. I copied the code into the command window; however, after the "adb devices" command I'm not seeing a number. All I see is "List of devices attached" and there's nothing after that so I don't think the Ouya is being detected. At least not by the command window. The Ouya was turned on and apparently my computer recognizes the Ouya as "OUYA Console Portable Media Player" from the Computer menu when connected via USB micro cable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Masaaki
07-23-2013, 04:14 PM
I have a 250GB External HDD that's formated as NTFS at the moment and I'd like to use the whole thing for Ouya. Is it alright if I format the whole thing to ext4 or is there a particular reason I should create a second primary partition formatted to ext4?

edit:

I tried following the steps but I'm stuck at step 7. I copied the code into the command window; however, after the "adb devices" command I'm not seeing a number. All I see is "List of devices attached" and there's nothing after that so I don't think the Ouya is being detected. At least not by the command window. The Ouya was turned on and apparently my computer recognizes the Ouya as "OUYA Console Portable Media Player" from the Computer menu when connected via USB micro cable.

Aaah, you're running into the same ADB issues a lot of people are... OUYA is not recognized by ADB (on Windows 7?)
Honestly can't remember how I solved it myself. Sorry.

Loey
07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Aaah, you're running into the same ADB issues a lot of people are... OUYA is not recognized by ADB (on Windows 7?)

Yeah, I was using a Windows 7 desktop, but I have an old laptop that can boot into XP. Will that work?

Masaaki
07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I was using a Windows 7 desktop, but I have an old laptop that can boot into XP. Will that work?

No idea. Try glancing around the forums for help?
Try this: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/comment/16466/#Comment_16466

Toxic_Dragon
07-23-2013, 08:03 PM

edit:

I just installed the composite adb driver and it worked(note that I used composite not standard adb), yes windows 7. I also have the android SDK installed. If you can't find it or figure it out just CLICK HERE (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2272266) , Thats what I used. Hope that helps!
:triumphant:

------------
Whats the best combo as far as speed and performance goes? Fastest USB vs SD Card (Sandisk extreme pro) with USB adapter?
**UPDATE**
No one replied so I did my own research and found that using my USB 2.0 card reader USB hub for both USB and SD cards I got these results:
My 16GB Patriot Averaged R: 27 MB/s W: 13.5 MB/s R+W: 8.5 MB/s This seemed to be an average on most of my newer USBs and about an extra 4-6 MB/s R, W, R+W on my portable hard drives.
As for my SD Cards the fasted cards I could test were my SanDisk Extreme Pro 45 MB/s which got R: 18.5 MB/s W: 18MB/s R+W 8.5 MB/s, and the other was a fairly new ScanDisk Ultra 64BG 30MB/s R: 18 MB/s Didn't test write/R+W because I had files on it and software deletes file to run test. All was tested on 512kb Block Size.
Might test my Sata III SSD via USB and if it proves to be worth it then I'll buy a mSata SSD and Mod it into/onto my Case.
If someone could test a usb 3.0 thumb drive speeds through usb 2.0 port that would be great!!!
Merged your posts. Use the edit button below this post next time. Thank you. < It was meant to be 2 separate Post! but OK

Loey
07-23-2013, 11:52 PM
The instructions in that link are just about identical in that link as the one posted by the OP. It doesn't mention anything about a composite adb driver. in subsequent posts several people mentioned installing "Kies", but I haven't a clue as to what that is. Is that the composite adb driver you were speaking of?

EDIT:
Okay I finally managed to get past step 7 by following "dibblebill's" advice. You're supposed to go back to step 5 and add the code beneath the amd64 section too. If you're computer doesn't automatically install the driver, then you'll have to manually install it via the "Devices and Printers" manager in the control panel. When you get their you'll see a device called "MTP" and you'll probably see it flagged with a yellow exclamation triangle. Double click on it and go to the Hardware tab. Select the first item on the list (it might also be flagged with the yellow exclamation triangle) and click on properties and then click on "change settings". Next click on the Driver tab and then click on the "Update Driver" button. You'll have to choose to search in a particular location (the same location from step 3) in order for the driver install. After that, you'll be done.

Go back into the command window and when you get to step 7, you'll see a funky looking number with alphabetical characters under the adb devices line. Mine said "List of devices attached" and underneath it was the funky number.

Part where I'm now stuck at:

I got stuck at the part where I'm supposed to update the SuperUser app on my Ouya which is step 13. When I select "install" when prompted to perform an update, I get a message saying that there was an error installing Superuser. I tried doing it over Ethernet and then over Wifi, but I got the same error.

Any ideas?

Toxic_Dragon
07-24-2013, 01:45 AM
The instructions in that link are just about identical in that link as the one posted by the OP. It doesn't mention anything about a composite adb driver. in subsequent posts several people mentioned installing "Kies", but I haven't a clue as to what that is. Is that the composite adb driver you were speaking of?
Now that I think about it I had that driver installed when I was developing on my Tronsmart T428 or My Galaxy Note II. Not sure where I downloaded it but I'm sure you can find it in the android SDK then if on windows plug Ouya in with USB Debugging on. After that go to control panel and find device manager. Look for the Ouya or broken/ missing driver... don't remember what it appeared as. Then right click it. Click update driver > browse my computer > Let me pick from list > (if you installed it already it should then give you the option to pick composite adb) other wise click > have disk > Select File > the list will give you a couple options adb, fastboot, android composite adb, etc > select composite and next and it should then recognize your device in adb. Hope that does the trick!

Loey
07-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Now that I think about it I had that driver installed when I was developing on my Tronsmart T428 or My Galaxy Note II. Not sure where I downloaded it but I'm sure you can find it in the android SDK then if on windows plug Ouya in with USB Debugging on. After that go to control panel and find device manager. Look for the Ouya or broken/ missing driver... don't remember what it appeared as. Then right click it. Click update driver > browse my computer > Let me pick from list > (if you installed it already it should then give you the option to pick composite adb) other wise click > have disk > Select File > the list will give you a couple options adb, fastboot, android composite adb, etc > select composite and next and it should then recognize your device in adb. Hope that does the trick!

Looks like you posted while I was updating my previous post. I've got it all figured out via a different method, but I appreciate the help.

Just to reiterate, I'm now stuck on step 13. I can't get SuperUser to update. Let me know if anyone has any idea what's going wrong.

Toxic_Dragon
07-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I just installed the composite adb driver and it worked(note that I used composite not standard adb), yes windows 7. I also have the android SDK installed. If you can't find it or figure it out just CLICK HERE (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2272266) , Thats what I used. Hope that helps!
:triumphant:

------------
Whats the best combo as far as speed and performance goes? Fastest USB vs SD Card (Sandisk extreme pro) with USB adapter?
**UPDATE**
No one replied so I did my own research and found that using my USB 2.0 card reader USB hub for both USB and SD cards I got these results:
My 16GB Patriot Averaged R: 27 MB/s W: 13.5 MB/s R+W: 8.5 MB/s This seemed to be an average on most of my newer USBs and about an extra 4-6 MB/s R, W, R+W on my portable hard drives.
As for my SD Cards the fasted cards I could test were my SanDisk Extreme Pro 45 MB/s which got R: 18.5 MB/s W: 18MB/s R+W 8.5 MB/s, and the other was a fairly new ScanDisk Ultra 64BG 30MB/s R: 18 MB/s Didn't test write/R+W because I had files on it and software deletes file to run test. All was tested on 512kb Block Size.
Might test my Sata III SSD via USB and if it proves to be worth it then I'll buy a mSata SSD and Mod it into/onto my Case.
If someone could test a usb 3.0 thumb drive speeds through usb 2.0 port that would be great!!!
Merged your posts. Use the edit button below this post next time. Thank you. < It was meant to be 2 separate Post! but OK
I just got a Patriot Memory Rage 64GB USB 3.0 R: 180MB/s W: 50MB/s and on USB 2.0 Port I'm Averaging R: 27MB/s W: 24MB/s R+W: 12.5MB/s All @512KB Block Size MAX R,W = 32MB/s W+R = 16MB/s Hope this is useful to someone! I tested because I plan to use it as virtual RAM+Storage. I will run test on Ouya as well once I set it up.

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 04:33 AM
So, so very frustrated by this right now. I've managed to get everything running, and moved apps / files to the USB drive, however, upon reboot and remount all the games / etc that I moved are nowhere to be found. A Google search reveals that this is a known issue with Links2SD, but I've yet to find a clear answer as to how to access everything I've moved. The USB drive shows that space is taken up, so everything must still be there, yet a quick dig with ES File Explorer yields what appears to be an empty partition, even though it appears to have data on Minitool.

fireballs
07-27-2013, 04:46 AM
So, so very frustrated by this right now. I've managed to get everything running, and moved apps / files to the USB drive, however, upon reboot and remount all the games / etc that I moved are nowhere to be found. A Google search reveals that this is a known issue with Links2SD, but I've yet to find a clear answer as to how to access everything I've moved. The USB drive shows that space is taken up, so everything must still be there, yet a quick dig with ES File Explorer yields what appears to be an empty partition, even though it appears to have data on Minitool.

Did you install the script to auto remount everything after reboot?

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 04:51 AM
Yep, and it does literally nothing on my Ouya. I have to manually remount every single time.

Toxic_Dragon
07-27-2013, 05:14 AM
https://plus.google.com/111642288177726387415/posts/CBH1ArVjo27

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 05:25 AM
https://plus.google.com/111642288177726387415/posts/CBH1ArVjo27

Dragon, very grateful for the link, but unfortunately am getting device not found error when I try to run adb shell from terminal emulator.

Cave Four
07-27-2013, 05:49 AM
If your having trouble connecting to adb in windows 7 you need to type 0x2080 in the adb_usb.ini

Toxic_Dragon
07-27-2013, 06:17 AM
I'm pretty sure I referred someone to this link before and if you follow each step exactly it will work 0% doubt. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2272266
Adb should work and recognize device. Then after you verify adb is working you can use this tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2350900 to root su busy box and install CWM.

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 06:49 AM
If your having trouble connecting to adb in windows 7 you need to type 0x2080 in the adb_usb.ini

My problem probably was that I was trying to run an adb shell from the Ouya, rather than connecting it to my computer.

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks again toxic. I've got su, busybox installed. I think my issue was I was trying to run an adb shell directly on the Ouya

Loey
07-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Yep, and it does literally nothing on my Ouya. I have to manually remount every single time.

Okay, it took me nearly all night but I finally got the hack to work WITH the script. One thing you have to remember is that when you creat the Init.d directory in the Sytem/etc folder you have to capitalize the I or else it won't work.

Edit

Nevermind, Ignore what I said.

Loey
07-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Guys, I ran into a bit of a snafu. I had everything working for a minute but after a few reboots, the hard drive would no longer mount automatically and even when I did it manually, the games that I had linked to my ext4 partition wouldn't show up either in the play/make menus OR in the Link2SD application list. Eventually my second partition stopped being detected by both the Ouya and any PC I tried to plug it into. Luckily, I was able to back up the contents of the ext4 partition before it suddenly disappeared.

How can I reload my games manually onto my OUYA? The ones that I linked to the external HDD are still missing. I noticed that many of the installation data files are still on the system. Should I just reinstall the apk?

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Guys, I ran into a bit of a snafu. I had everything working for a minute but after a few reboots, the hard drive would no longer mount automatically and even when I did it manually, the games that I had linked to my ext4 partition wouldn't show up either in the play/make menus OR in the Link2SD application list. Eventually my second partition stopped being detected by both the Ouya and any PC I tried to plug it into. Luckily, I was able to back up the contents of the ext4 partition before it suddenly disappeared.

How can I reload my games manually onto my OUYA? The ones that I linked to the external HDD are still missing. I noticed that many of the installation data files are still on the system. Should I just reinstall the apk?

Exact issue I've run into, and one that unfortunately seems to be known, but not necessarily solved about Links2SD. I've got no idea how that app could be released with such a serious flaw.

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 07:06 PM
OK, so following Toxic Dragon's tutorial I tried editing vold.fstab, but couldn't on device, so I did it on my computer with n++, them dropboxed it back to myself, mounted the file system as rw, and was promptly told that I have permission denied, even though I'm read / write. Next step is to try and push with adb, but am running into some issues which I believe were alluded to in the comment thread earlier...

Mark Wilson
07-27-2013, 08:35 PM

Did that, with no effect. Device still not seen :(

Scratch that, issue was my mistake. Still, the permission denied is preventing me from going any further.

Loey
07-27-2013, 08:54 PM
OK, so following Toxic Dragon's tutorial I tried editing vold.fstab, but couldn't on device, so I did it on my computer with n++, them dropboxed it back to myself, mounted the file system as rw, and was promptly told that I have permission denied, even though I'm read / write. Next step is to try and push with adb, but am running into some issues which I believe were alluded to in the comment thread earlier...

Same story here. Here's the output I get when I try to manually mount to /data/sdext2 and also when I try to use Toxic Dragon's adb mount r/w command referenced above:

c:\Users\Penn\Development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130717\sdk\platform-tools>
adb shell
su
mkdir /data/sdext2
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/vold/8\:2 /data/sdext2
sexitu
mkdir /data/sdext2
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/vold/8\:2 /data/sdext2
shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # mkdir /data/sdext2
mkdir failed for /data/sdext2, File exists
255|shell@android:/ # mount -t ext4 /dev/block/vold/8\:2 /data/sdext2
mount: No such device or address
255|shell@android:/ # exit
exitexit
sh: exitexit: not found
127|shell@android:/ # exit
exit
127|shell@android:/ $ exit
exit

c:\Users\Penn\Development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130717\sdk\platform-tools>
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw /system shell@android:/ $
mount -o remount,rw /system
mount: Operation not permitted
255|shell@android:/ $

I eventually managed to edit the vold.fstab file, but it didn't do anything. I still can't get access to ext4 partition. As a side note, if you lost access to your games/apps that you moved over with Links2SD you can simply reinstall the apk and apparently all your settings and saves will be intact.

It's too bad about this hack though...it was cool for the few minutes it was working but for now this is a very sloppy workaround for the storage issue.

Mark Wilson
07-28-2013, 03:05 AM
Same story here... I eventually managed to edit the vold.fstab file, but it didn't do anything. I still can't get access to ext4 partition. As a side note, if you lost access to your games/apps that you moved over with Links2SD you can simply reinstall the apk and apparently all your settings and saves will be intact.

It's too bad about this hack though...it was cool for the few minutes it was working but for now this is a very sloppy workaround for the storage issue.

This hack actually has me a bit peeved. A pause here: I'm a big boy, and obviously anything we do to our systems is our responsibility. That said, this wasn't put across on the original post on XDA as a theory or work in progress, but as a working hack. When I read through the comments (again) today, the OP had discovered the same thing that stalled me after only a couple of hours, and the thread appears to be at least a week old, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I had seen the thing about redownloading the apks, and it looks like that's what it's going to come down to. I had hoped that it wouldn't, but I see little other choice as with the solutions out there it doesn't look like there's an immediate fix that will work in the long - term, especially given Ouya's frequent updates.

Edit: praise God. Out of nowhere it resolved

Loey
07-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Edit: praise God. Out of nowhere it resolved

Too bad I can't say the same. It's only gotten worse. Now my usb HDD isn't detected at all. When I plug it into my PC everything works as usual, but won't work on the Ouya no matter what I do.

I give up, but congrats on getting it to work!

Toxic_Dragon
07-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah so sry guys I'll keep looking or try to come out with a better solution. If you guys do let me know as well. Also looking for a method to increase ram on ouya via virtual memory.

Toxic_Dragon
07-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Too bad I can't say the same. It's only gotten worse. Now my usb HDD isn't detected at all. When I plug it into my PC everything works as usual, but won't work on the Ouya no matter what I do.

I give up, but congrats on getting it to work!
Have you tried to reformat or partition on Mac or Linux? Using unix based OS to format tends to fix all my USB problems. Another thing to try is restore original vold.fstab or reflash rom. I always make backups on CWM so issues like this get resolved easily. Then re attempt.

Loey
07-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Have you tried to reformat or partition on Mac or Linux? Using unix based OS to format tends to fix all my USB problems. Another thing to try is restore original vold.fstab or reflash rom. I always make backups on CWM so issues like this get resolved easily. Then re attempt.

After the first time my ext4 partition went bad, I had to wipe the drive completely and re-partition from scratch via Gparted on a linux live session (Parted Magic OS). Ever since then it seems everything has been functional at least on my Windows PC (It detects the first ntfs partition) and on my laptop with linux mint (it detects both partitions just fine). I should note, however, that for some reason the ext4 partition seems to require root user privilege before anything can be written to it which is probably the reason for the "Operation not permitted" error in my command line output posted above. However that doesn't explain why the drive isn't being detected at all anymore. Anyways, I'll first try restoring the original vold.fstab to see if the drive is actually detected again. After that I might try yet again reformatting the external hdd partitions, but the fact that I have to do it again is an indicator that the problem will probably reoccur at some point.

Toxic_Dragon
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Yes I agree I'm Stepping away from this method as well...As for root privileges I'm assuming you must be formatting it as root. If you are that's why your getting that error.

Mark Wilson
08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
a workaround I found to an issue some folks might find using the Links2SD method of expanding Ouya storage: I noticed that when I moved the ROMS for my emulators to the second (ext 4) partition the emulators might see them, but they never run. (sometimes they don't see them at all) To work around this (and not use up precious space on the Ouya) I simply used a second flash drive, and installed Stickmount, with Stickmount ONLY pointed at that drive. There's a caveat, however: That second drive must NOT be plugged in to the Ouya (or in reality, the USB hub) until after complete power up, otherwise I run into the disappearing apps / games issue again. By leaving the second flash drive unplugged until power up this allows init.d and sdext2 mounter to run first and get Links2SD to find the moved apps / games. Once that's done I can plug the second drive (with my ROMS on it) in, and then use my emulator files perfectly.

It's not a graceful solution, but it works. God bless.

Loey
08-05-2013, 10:26 PM
I found an even better solution here (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5178-USB-HDD-Problem). Scroll down to post number #6. This method involves using an app called Paragon exFAT, NTFS & HFS+ which can mount your NTFS HDD and store your game data on it instead of the Ouya. You'll have to use a second program called FileMount to successfully transfer the data via folder pairing so that the game still functions after you transfer it. The only drawback is that the program only supports transferring games and apps with data folders located in either data or obb folders in the /sdcard/Android/ directory. It's worth a try.

Emanuel Burgos
08-06-2013, 12:32 AM
I found an even better solution here (http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?5178-USB-HDD-Problem). Scroll down to post number #6. This method involves using an app called Paragon exFAT, NTFS & HFS+ which can mount your NTFS HDD and store your game data on it instead of the Ouya. You'll have to use a second program called FileMount to successfully transfer the data via folder pairing so that the game still functions after you transfer it. The only drawback is that the program only supports transferring games and apps with data folders located in either data or obb folders in the /sdcard/Android/ directory. It's worth a try.

FolderMount can actually transfer any game folder located within the /sdcard. It won't work outside the /sdcard.

kingmid
08-06-2013, 12:56 AM
a workaround I found to an issue some folks might find using the Links2SD method of expanding Ouya storage: I noticed that when I moved the ROMS for my emulators to the second (ext 4) partition the emulators might see them, but they never run. (sometimes they don't see them at all) To work around this (and not use up precious space on the Ouya) I simply used a second flash drive, and installed Stickmount, with Stickmount ONLY pointed at that drive. There's a caveat, however: That second drive must NOT be plugged in to the Ouya (or in reality, the USB hub) until after complete power up, otherwise I run into the disappearing apps / games issue again. By leaving the second flash drive unplugged until power up this allows init.d and sdext2 mounter to run first and get Links2SD to find the moved apps / games. Once that's done I can plug the second drive (with my ROMS on it) in, and then use my emulator files perfectly.

It's not a graceful solution, but it works. God bless.
Why wouldn't you just put your roms on the first partition? Sounds like you're making this way to complicated

Loey
08-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Why wouldn't you just put your roms on the first partition? Sounds like you're making this way to complicated

Kingmid,

It's because he's using Links2SD which requires you to format a second primary drive as ext4. That method isn't good because most of the time the program doesn't even detect the 2nd partition. The method me and Emanuel Burgos mentioned earlier is MUCH better because you can just use NTFS so you don't even need to create another partition at all.

kingmid
08-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Kingmid,

It's because he's using Links2SD which requires you to format a second primary drive as ext4. That method isn't good because most of the time the program doesn't even detect the 2nd partition. The method me and Emanuel Burgos mentioned earlier is MUCH better because you can just use NTFS so you don't even need to create another partition at all.
I use this method and it works perfectly. My point is I have all my roms on the first partition and there are no problem.

Mark Wilson
08-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Kingmid: trust me, I originally tried that. Unfortunately, when I started using the Links2Sd method I intentionally made the first partition ridiculously and unusably small so as to make it a dummy partition. While I'm comfortable with resizing partitions, I'm not when there's data on it. Lesson learned, Lol.

Loey: Links2SD, after initial hiccups, works well for me now.