PDA

View Full Version : How soon can we get multiboot with stock and Cyanogenmod?

wajeemba
10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
And perhaps Windows 8..

If this console is truly open, official CM support should happen in RECORD time. From the kickstarter page:

We use open-source software and standard chipsets – we're on Android because developers are speaking the language. Our chipsets aren't proprietary or secretive – open OUYA up and have a look! We’ll even publish the hardware design if people want it.

So, I'm assuming at least one of the current CM devs has ordered a development board (aka, $700 rush production model), so hopefully it'll be supported by the time March rolls around and the general public gets their boxes. :D

What do you guys think? Is anyone excited about this possibility? I'm thinking about loading up the apps I've already bought from the play store, and also word processing, etc on a device plenty powerful enough to be an internet machine.

BOUYA
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm not familiar with what Cyanogenmod is. Can you give some more details. I think it would be awesome to be able to use Windows 8 on basically any screen using the OUYA.

BlairJ
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Bouya, he is referring to a rooted kernel with a custom rom to essentially have Jelly Bean (or whatever dessert is on our plate at time of release) on the OUYA.

Check out:

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

AdyCarter
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
CM is basically the most popular Android mod out there. http://www.cyanogenmod.com/ usually at the bleeding edge for features and updates and in most cases preferable to the "stock" android on most devices.

As for Windows 8, considering how draconian MS are getting around the devices Windows RT will run on I'm not going to hold my breath for that one.

Dreamzle
10-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm thinking about loading up the apps I've already bought from the play store, and also word processing, etc on a device plenty powerful enough to be an internet machine.

All of the apps you bought are designed to be completely controlled without a touchscreen?

M1cha
12-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Multiboot is possible if the bootloader is opensource(is it opensource?).
If yes we can write a little GUI to choose the system/kernel to boot.

Reihen
01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
MultiROM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2011403

Lexord
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I wish it will support custom roms, so I can use it the way I like :)

Sent desde mi MB860

rej0hn
01-28-2013, 01:20 PM
i don't care which custom rom could be used, but i think OUYA ows us the freedom to use them (see quote in first post).
and there should be a third-party-app option too. imho there should be no difference between dev-kits/reatil-consoles in terms of
usage. everyone should be able to develope for his/her console what he/she wants to.
lets say i need an app thats customized to my likings and not usefull for anyone else: i should have the
ability to install and debug it on my console. thats my understanding of freedom.
it would be exciting to see different launchers and OS-mods for OUYA :)
looking forward for them!

cheers, j0hn

Sharshoor
02-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Multiboot!! still to early without bootloader source code, may be in comming month we can see something clear.

VintageDougers
02-23-2013, 05:21 PM
This would be fantastic! I've been running CM on every Android phone I've owned, from the Droid Eris onto the Samsung Galaxy S I own now. Those developers put out a great ROM, it would be great to have a version customized for the OUYA!

MEC-777
03-04-2013, 08:28 PM
This is what I'm pumped about with the Ouya. :)

I recently rooted and installed CM10.0 (jelly bean) on my "aging" phone (LG Optimus Black) and it runs SO much better now. Like I have a new phone again that's still relevant and up-to-date and works properly with all the latest apps. Plus I can now do much more with it now. No more limits!

I'm planning to root the Ouya straight out of the box and use it for much more than games.

Android FTW! :)

GreggHoush
03-29-2013, 04:54 AM
This is what I'm pumped about with the Ouya. :)

I recently rooted and installed CM10.0 (jelly bean) on my "aging" phone (LG Optimus Black) and it runs SO much better now. Like I have a new phone again that's still relevant and up-to-date and works properly with all the latest apps. Plus I can now do much more with it now. No more limits!

I'm planning to root the Ouya straight out of the box and use it for much more than games.

Android FTW! :)

This makes absolutely no sense to me. All of that stuff is built for touch screens. How is this going to be useful?

Amazm3nt
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing then I thought cm also will help it run maybe? Because most ROMs also help a system run smoother and better with tweaks. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Sent from my GSIII running

shaminy
04-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Cyanogen is useless with Ouya. As said, it's touch screen Android OS.

darksakul
04-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Ill be interested if there is a version of Cyanogenmod that is built for the Ouya rather than what ever phone.
The Development for Cyanogenmod for the Raspberry Pi is slow. But the Cryogen team is waiting for more official version of the android OS for the Rasp PI to come out first.
Currently both ports of android generic Jellybean and cyangen runs slow on the Rasp Pi.
Each version of Cyanogenmod is tailored to each device, it isn't a raw universal mobile device rom.

To be fair the versions of android for the Raspberry Pi uses a on screen cursor instead of a touch screen as by default the Raspberry Pi lacks touch screen controls.
The Ouya is much Beefier than the Raspberry so I like to see what happens.

NeedsLoomis
04-13-2013, 12:57 AM
All of the apps you bought are designed to be completely controlled without a touchscreen?

Android can be controlled via mouse