PDA

View Full Version : Gold Ouya. Console + Controller.

swindle
07-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Final Product.

http://s19.postimg.org/mlrst81kj/20130711_230912.jpg

RiotingSpectre
07-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Looks great from what I can see :) Get a little purple on there and you got yourself a pimp-OUYA.

derty
07-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Lol totally. I plan on spraying mine soon as well :)

Hydrus
07-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Looks sexy but I've learned my lesson from painting controllers. Looks good at first but after you give it some use, the paint starts to peel. I painted my 360 controller and it looked awesome, even gave it a touch of gloss. Now it looks like crap.

Chris Hoppman
07-12-2013, 05:10 AM
what are you going to use to seal the paint?

swindle
07-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Looks sexy but I've learned my lesson from painting controllers. Looks good at first but after you give it some use, the paint starts to peel. I painted my 360 controller and it looked awesome, even gave it a touch of gloss. Now it looks like crap.

Oh absolutely! I would not reccomend using the controller right away, im giving it a few hours to dry between coats.

what are you going to use to seal the paint?

I am using a clear coat to seal the paint, I'm going to let it dry 24-30 hours before i start using the controller to make sure the paint and clear doesn't smudge.

bus_dr1v3r
07-12-2013, 02:44 PM

That's probably just from the prep job, no offense. These plastic controllers are made in a mold that is coated with a release agent, which is a painter's worst nightmare. My process for removing release agents is to first rub down the controller parts with 90% isopropyl alcohol then wash thoroughly with dish washing liquid and warm water.

After washing the parts need to be sanded. This process creates more surface area for the paint to stick to, but you need to pick the correct sandpaper grit so that the sandmarks aren't visible through the paint. The grit that I use, and most everyone in the car industry, is 600 grit wet/dry. I always wet-sand because it makes the paper clog less and usually produces a better end result.

Once you've sanded its usually a good idea to wash one more time with soap and water, let dry, then rub down once more with alcohol to remove any oils from your fingers right before spraying.

Lastly to reduce peeling you can spray a coat of plastic adhesive promoter before spraying your color. This is basically an etching primer for plastics that bites into the plastic and the paint, almost fusing them together.

EDIT: Feel free to contact me with any paint questions. I was a professional auto-painter for 6 years and love to paint. :)

RiotingSpectre
07-12-2013, 11:52 PM
@At the final product: Bitchin' :)

Massive amounts of helpful information.

I'm not interested in these types of things but now that I have a idea, I think I might give it a shot when I get my spare OUYA in August.

Orr Hermoni
07-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Nice work!
But... Well, i dont think im gonna paint mine. I learned my lesson from a fail paint try i did to my PS3 controller. I scratched the board by accident...
But nice work! :D

Manaurys
07-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Final Product.

http://s19.postimg.org/mlrst81kj/20130711_230912.jpg

This is pretty good where you live maybe you could charge people for painting their ouya?

What about some more pictures please or a video if it possible

MX Woods3
07-20-2013, 09:26 PM
lol i almost painted mine gold too, instead i chose metallic blue. :)