PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here plan on Hacking their OUYA themselves?

MyOpia
09-28-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm just curous. We hear about how the OUYA will be hackable. I'm just wondering if anyone here actually has plans to hack their console themselves. If so, what do you plan on doing?

Reaperman
09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm going to give an audio-out mod a try. It should be pretty obvious once I open it up if it's going to be possibe or not. Hopefully there will be an IC for A/V encoding near the HDMI out--if instead that's all handled aboard one massive SOC that does everything else too, I'll bail on the mod.

Since I game on a projector which has no onboard speaker, it does little good for me to send audio down HDMI with the video. I'd rather find an audio source internally, and connect it to my surround sound unit (on the opposite side of the room). I have an external adapter, but it may introduce lag (if my understanding of hdmi-audio is correct), and it's somewhat bulky.

I know we haven't seen the final specs yet, but that seems to be the way all of these baby-android devices work. It's pretty rotten design for a game console not to provide any method of audio out. You'd have to think back to the RF days (1984ish) to find any other console that lacked the feature.

edit: audio mod or no, my setup is already looking really messy with external wires/cables, so I'll probably recase it in a plain project box so I can stick most of it inside. This will give me room for internal storage (HD or large usb stick), powered usb hub, audio (either hdmi converter or modded), and an sd slot if there's use for it. Probably 4 usb slots out the back, RCA audio jacks, HDMI and a power switch. A clean looking box with a real mess inside. I don't think the stock ouya case is especially attractive anyway.

Nicholas Ross
09-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I want to see what people do, both Hardware and Software side of the hacking.
I wonder how long it will be till people start to post tutorials on on to set up an emulator to play all your NES games.
or
Hack it so you can get...
A plug in for touch screens, kinect, car installation... sorry my imagination isn't that big right now.

MyOpia
10-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Those are some sweet ideas. I just saw there is already an SNES emulator coming to OUYA - see http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?456-SuperNES-Emulator-%28SuperGNES%29-is-coming-to-OUYA!!&p=3305#post3305

I want to see what people do, both Hardware and Software side of the hacking.
I wonder how long it will be till people start to post tutorials on on to set up an emulator to play all your NES games.
or
Hack it so you can get...
A plug in for touch screens, kinect, car installation... sorry my imagination isn't that big right now.

DoubleD
10-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Robots, thats what we need!

darksakul
12-29-2012, 04:16 AM
I will find out what I can pull off in March.:courage:

Shino
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
I'll definitely root mine just b/c I'd like to get the games and such that I've purchased off the Android Market to be available on the Ouya. Not all of them will work of course, but there are several that have controller support built in.

Too Bad Mass Effect: Infiltrator doesn't. :(

BlairJ
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I am hoping that someone will create a way to use the phone with the OUYA console. I am certain that will come very quickly.

Left4Joker
01-10-2013, 12:00 AM
I'll definitely root mine just b/c I'd like to get the games and such that I've purchased off the Android Market to be available on the Ouya. Not all of them will work of course, but there are several that have controller support built in.

Too Bad Mass Effect: Infiltrator doesn't. :(

I'm preety sure that, with the fanbase ME has, someone will do it. Let's wait =)

9th Paladin
01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
I have a vague plan involving a battery, a mini projector and my 3d printer that I might fiddle around with for a bit

Shino
01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm preety sure that, with the fanbase ME has, someone will do it. Let's wait =)

definitely hope you're right about that one!

d_brennen
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
I plan to see if I can run my Ouya passive. There is nothing I hate more than tinny little fans. I'll mod the case and if that isn't possible I'll recase it, either to allow passive operation on a bigger heatsink or using a larger, low RPM fan

Michael Thompson
01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Hey folks,

I'm a hardware hacker from way back, and just pre-ordered my Ouya, so I wanted to get in on some of these interesting threads.

One of the mods I can possibly see happening is an external WiFi antenna to get better wireless performance, but this will depend on how that is out of the box.

I can also see myself fabricating some kind of a custom-designed base containing a USB hub and other hardware to give the Ouya additional capabilities like large-capacity local storage for media, etc.
The neat trick there would be to make it occupy the same footprint as the console.

I can hardly wait to get mine now that I have pulled the trigger, so to speak!

d_brennen
01-28-2013, 03:16 PM
^ There seems to be plenty of room inside the Ouya case, well relatively anyway :) I might try and hack a small USB hub inside the console myself

http://youtu.be/4km3D3RuVVw?t=1m37s

Michael Thompson
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
^ There seems to be plenty of room inside the Ouya case, well relatively anyway :) I might try and hack a small USB hub inside the console myself

http://youtu.be/4km3D3RuVVw?t=1m37s

(Thanks for reminding me to subscribe/mine YouTube for every last bit of Ouya goodness!)

Wow, lots of room in there for sure!
An internal hub for use with other small stripped and internally mounted USB dongles or to simply provide a wealth of external connections would be absolutely killer!

d_brennen
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Not quite sure how it will pan out. If I soldered a USB hub directly to the USB A socket (or the back of it anyway) would it still function as a socket? I know the hub will work but will the original socket be "taken" by having the hub piggybacking off of it? We'll see

Michael Thompson
01-28-2013, 06:00 PM
No, unfortunately the on board USB port itself would have to be disconnected from the USB connections on the circuit board.
The circuit board USB connections would go to the USB input of the hub, then the various outputs of the hub would go to...well, whatever, including the on board USB port.
If the folks at Ouya were kind enough to include a spare internal header on the circuit board then it would simplify matters immensely.

d_brennen
01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
For cost purposes I doubt it but you can but hope :)

I wonder how the USB B operates? I guess it's for hooking up the Ouya to a PC but I wonder If it would function as a normal USB port for attaching a hub...

johannestaas
02-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm going to try to put Debian on it and make it a web server.

modder420
06-25-2013, 05:00 PM
gonna make mine look like the puzzle box from hellrasier

Athenademon
06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
ill mess around with mines eventually just waiting what the guys at XDA come up with, also another thing im going to do for sure is water cool, kind of like the ones used on a cpu block cause it does seem to run HOT HOT HOT lol being that i build gaming rigs. one thing ill have to see is whats available for that size even if its an all in one cooler like corsair...other than that im just enjoying the stock ouya.